• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Knights - Saber Artoria for Smash Support Thread

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Well, I've made a Saber fan of myself after watching Unlimited Blade Works... By extension, I guess I'm rooting for her in Smash, now :cyclops:.

So, I've gathered that most westerners, like me, best know Fate through the anime--is there a similar situation overseas? Or are the Fate games at all comparable in popularity to the anime/manga series? I know about her Visual Novel origins, but I worry the Smash team may feel she's more anime and less game, at this point. Do y'all think this is a relevant concern, or can I realistically hope for Saber, now :ohwell:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well, I've made a Saber fan of myself after watching Unlimited Blade Works... By extension, I guess I'm rooting for her in Smash, now :cyclops:.

So, I've gathered that most westerners, like me, best know Fate through the anime--is there a similar situation overseas? Or are the Fate games at all comparable in popularity to the anime/manga series? I know about her Visual Novel origins, but I worry the Smash team may feel she's more anime and less game, at this point. Do y'all think this is a relevant concern, or can I realistically hope for Saber, now :ohwell:
I think in Japan fate is seen more as a massive franchize, but a game first. There are animes yes but the biggest fate thing right now is Fate Grand order, a massively successful gatcha game.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I think in Japan fate is seen more as a massive franchize, but a game first. There are animes yes but the biggest fate thing right now is Fate Grand order, a massively successful gatcha game.
I hope you're right that the Fate games aren't eclipsed by the anime; as long as Nintendo/Sakurai consider Saber enough of a game character, she's a left-field choice in the vein of Joker and Terry I could see them going for.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I hope you're right that the Fate games aren't eclipsed by the anime; as long as Nintendo/Sakurai consider Saber enough of a game character, she's a left-field choice in the vein of Joker and Terry I could see them going for.
Fate has been a Visual Novel/ game first and foremost. And the majority of the fate animes are based on some of the games. Fate stay order, the newest fate grand order animes, and fate extra are games first. Even the biggest names in the series started in the games. Artoria, Nero, Tamamo, Mash, Cu, Hercules, etcetera

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hell, Pokemon debuted in some countries as an anime, not a game.

The issue is the origin of the series. Just like Digimon, Fate started as a game, first and foremost. That's what matters.

Now, what they can use from the anime/other materials is another story. This can provide moveset ideas, animation ideas, various options for Spirits, sometimes even artwork/designs. However, using the anime outside of inspiration could mean more licensing, so only lightly referencing it in stuff like costumes(which may not cost much to license depending the situation) is ideal.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Hell, Pokemon debuted in countries as an anime, not a game.

The issue is the origin of the series. Just like Digimon, Fate started as a game, first and foremost. That's what matters.

Now, what they can use from the anime/other materials is another story. This can provide moveset ideas, animation ideas, various options for Spirits, sometimes even artwork/designs. However, using the anime outside of inspiration could mean more licensing, so only lightly referencing it in stuff like costumes(which may not cost much to license depending the situation) is ideal.
This essentially, its the debut origins that matter when considering one viable for smash and not exactly the media that comes after. Kinda why when someone seriously brings up Goku from Dragon Ball as a candidate you see people get at them telling them "Goku didn't debut as a video game character, sure he has video games, but he did not start as one, he started as a manga character and thus, not viable."

Now using material from Fate/ anime... there isn't exactly anything anime original when it comes to characters... unless you're talking about L a s t E n c o re, but that shouldn't need to be referenced (thank goodness since it's a bad adaptation of Fate/Extra, which is an RPG). Even things like Apocrypha and Zero debuted as light-novels and not as anime. Only real concern when it comes to there is the anime exclusive music tracks as I don't believe Type-Moon/NOTES actually own those tracks directly like they do for anything else.

That said, Smash is no stranger from using a video game series' non-video game entrees for stuff. Ash Greninja being a prime example of this and some old Trophy Descriptions referenced shows rather than games, King K Rool's in Brawl coming to mind. That said it's a different case as Nintendo directly owns those characters. Though depending on the scenario, if there is indeed an "anime-exclusive" look, or non-video game look, Cloud with one of the few pieces of actual content that was brought into Smash with him has four of his costume slots dedicated to his look from Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children, which is a sequel-movie rather than a sequel-game. So it does show Nintendo is willing to put in non-video game stuff for video game series that are third-party as well.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This essentially, its the debut origins that matter when considering one viable for smash and not exactly the media that comes after. Kinda why when someone seriously brings up Goku from Dragon Ball as a candidate you see people get at them telling them "Goku didn't debut as a video game character, sure he has video games, but he did not start as one, he started as a manga character and thus, not viable."

Now using material from Fate/ anime... there isn't exactly anything anime original when it comes to characters... unless you're talking about L a s t E n c o re, but that shouldn't need to be referenced (thank goodness since it's a bad adaptation of Fate/Extra, which is an RPG). Even things like Apocrypha and Zero debuted as light-novels and not as anime. Only real concern when it comes to there is the anime exclusive music tracks as I don't believe Type-Moon/NOTES actually own those tracks directly like they do for anything else.

That said, Smash is no stranger from using a video game series' non-video game entrees for stuff. Ash Greninja being a prime example of this and some old Trophy Descriptions referenced shows rather than games, King K Rool's in Brawl coming to mind. That said it's a different case as Nintendo directly owns those characters. Though depending on the scenario, if there is indeed an "anime-exclusive" look, or non-video game look, Cloud with one of the few pieces of actual content that was brought into Smash with him has four of his costume slots dedicated to his look from Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children, which is a sequel-movie rather than a sequel-game. So it does show Nintendo is willing to put in non-video game stuff for video game series that are third-party as well.
Terry literally has one of his anime-exclusive costumes. That should be proof they don't mind using anime stuff. Especially for 3rd parties. Advent Children too, yeah.

Though yeah, there doesn't seem to really be useful anime stuff, though maybe certain voice actors/actresses or animations might be easier.

Nonetheless, it's a matter of "licensing" first. I mean, if you want an example of stuff that's harder to get, that'd be the Digimon anime music. The music is not worldwide at all times, except the Adventure Tri movies for the Evolution theme. I forget its name, but that's about the only one that could work. Pokemon's in a weirder spot. Almost all the music is just orchestrated remixes, except "Heroes of Hoenn", a unique anime-only theme. Rest is dub and sub music for openings, or some other Dub-only music as is. It depends who made any of that music. Honestly, the two Gym Themes(not Gym Leader) and Heroes of Hoenn would fit Smash very well in its own way, but I don't know the licensing.

Frankly, I'd love to see Vlad as a Spirit. And then use it against Dracula for fun. It's silly, but.

(Worth noting Ash-Greninja was in a game demo before hitting Smash, but it was clearly going to exist even if not that. Greninja's general design took inspiration from the anime, including how his core projectile worked).

zferolie

Smash Hero
Im gonna say Artoria, or anyone from fate, biggest issue is that Sony is very closely tied to Fate recently. Not sure of its Just Grand Order or the whole franchize. If its the later, one has to wonder if Sony wants to work with nintendo at all.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Im gonna say Artoria, or anyone from fate, biggest issue is that Sony is very closely tied to Fate recently. Not sure of its Just Grand Order or the whole franchize. If its the later, one has to wonder if Sony wants to work with nintendo at all.
...I mean, does Sony own the rights to the content? If not, then it isn't a problem. For Nintendo, ties aren't the thing. Licensing is where it matters. I'd say no Fate games planned for anything Nintendo is far more detrimental to their plans than "what they're known for".

zferolie

Smash Hero
...I mean, does Sony own the rights to the content? If not, then it isn't a problem. For Nintendo, ties aren't the thing. Licensing is where it matters. I'd say no Fate games planned for anything Nintendo is far more detrimental to their plans than "what they're known for".
True true. And we have had Fate games on the switch though really just the Musou games. Still i think its possible just saying if sony is a problem that would be the main issue

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
True true. And we have had Fate games on the switch though really just the Musou games. Still i think its possible just saying if sony is a problem that would be the main issue
Well, if that's the case, it's just a matter of if Nintendo has interest. There's no clash of interest in licensing issues, at least.

They may also have characters they feel need to "get in first" too. But who knows on that.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't her first appearance in a video game include a lewd scene(s) ? Wouldn't that be a problem for her inclusion ?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't her first appearance in a video game include a lewd scene(s) ? Wouldn't that be a problem for her inclusion ?
No. That was actually retconned out as well for later releases. It was a dumb executive decision that caused that, thinking all Visual Novels need sex scenes. In the end, they were not pleased and changed all releases to at worst make it optional.

It's not a core part of the character in the end.

It also wouldn't matter when we have Bayonetta who literally gets naked for attacks. Nintendo themselves directly advertised Bayonetta in Playboy. They don't really care about origins and stuff like this overall. They had love hotels too(...without sex allowed). It's removing the sex stuff that all they care about, and it has no bearing on how Artoria's characterization plays out. They managed to reduce Bayonetta to a lot more appropriate options, and she is an extremely sexual character as a core part of her characterization.

There's nothing to really worry about. I'm aware some feel uncomfortable due to the origins as an eroge and all. But the series evolved past that, and as I noted, retconned that factor out. ...The anime can sometimes get worse. Apocrypha's Jack the Ripper is one of the worst designed characters and should not have been done that way. At least the outfit should've been way better. Her backstory is a lot more interesting in its own way and fits the dark tone the series has.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
The original Fate/Stay Night came out in an awkward point in Visual Novels where a lot of publishers in Japan thought the only way to sell VNs was to include sex scenes. They have since been retconned out once FSN had surprising success.

It really shouldn't be something worth discussing but it seems like it's something that's going to be constantly brought up.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Considering the next Fate/ game is going to be Switch exclusive, and its possible the Extra and CCC remakes, as well as even the Tsukihimie remake may release exclusively on switch in terms of consoles. They literally have no control over the series outside of what Aniplex does.

That said actually, Aniplex are owned by Sony /Music/ Entertainment, not Sony Interactive Entertainment which control the Playstation stuff. That said what Aniplex does is essentially only helping out with the anime adaptations though the exacts evade me, I'm quite sure its financial. Besides that it's just FGO (and its figure trading game spin-off) of where once again it's probably just an financial thing alongside advertisement.

Otherwise everything is owned by NOTES/Type-Moon.

We've also had this talk before, but to add on to whats already been said: several companies, including those in Smash already, essentially ignore the eroge past of Fate/. If they didn't I'm sure we wouldn't have had Capcom publishing Fate/ Unlimited Codes, SEGA being the ones responsible behind FGO Arcade, and going outside of Fate/: SEGA publishing the Melty Blood series as well.

Point is: Fate/'s lewd past isn't exactly "remembered"/isn't cared about by the overall game development community. any of Type-Moon's games that had that content are also applicable to this. As others have also said they've basically erased those moments from existence all together with the remakes/re-releases of Stay Night under Realta Nua and Hollow Ataraxia's Vita/PSP port alongside other material. Of course though they're gonna do cheeky references to such acts but honestly: a lot of media, even stuff for kids, has dirty jokes referring to lewd intercourse.

But yeah, Assassin Jack... weird flex but w h a t e v e r. The only solace most have to try to make it less weird is technically if we count "birthdays" past death that which makes up Assassin Jack legal by now... but that's also an sick excuse for certain types of people. That said I prefer Zerker Jack anyways... god I wish the writer of Strange Fake would let them be used in FGO by now with the snails pace he's going to finish it but... it takes time to finish stuff like that and I'm more paintent than most so I'll continue to wait.

Edit:

Also when it comes to VAs, Nintendo is fine hiring them as long as they're: not in a union or if they're willing to not be credited as themselves (or whatever work around most union VAs find to voice in Nintendo projects) but are forced by the contract with the company of the character is owned (in this case, Cloud's old VA, unaware for his new one) to always be credited. So as long as the VAs behind X Fate/ characters don't fit those criteria or are willing to do whatever loophole other Union VAs do they should have no problem reprising their roles for Smash (this goes for English and Japanese, and any other languages I suppose).

When it comes to animation inspiration... there should no absolute no trouble here at all since unless for some reason they're directly ripping it from another game (which is a no-no anyways) or are using pre-existing clips from the actual anime itself for something say like the trailer... should be fine.

That said, not gonna lie... a Fate/ Newcomer trailer being done by UFOtable would be awesome.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
If close ties to Sony was an issue, we wouldn't get Joker in the first place.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

The Fate/series is very similar to the Pokémon & .Hack series in regards to how its considered as a Multimedia Franchise. However, its origin was as a Video Game, so Saber can still appear in Smash. However, though its not been confirmed, its possible that Sakurai cares more about the particular character's origin over the way their series is considered.
Still, its the visual novel that got popular enough for an Anime Adaption to be made in the first place.
Fate has been a Visual Novel/ game first and foremost. And the majority of the fate animes are based on some of the games. Fate stay order, the newest fate grand order animes, and fate extra are games first. Even the biggest names in the series started in the games. Artoria, Nero, Tamamo, Mash, Cu, Hercules, etcetera
Yup, the only popular characters that didn't originate in a game were Ruler/Jeanne d'Arc and Rider/Astolfo (along with the rest of the Fate/Apocrypha crew) who originated in a novel..however, Fate/Apocrypha was originally meant to be an Online Game that got cancelled if that means anything.
Yup, it did, but that was literally just the original version of the game, it was ported without those scenes to the PS2 as Fate/stay night Réalta Nua and the series has kept the fan service aspect without the intentially lewd scenes as anything more than implied.

There's nothing to really worry about. I'm aware some feel uncomfortable due to the origins as an eroge and all. But the series evolved past that, and as I noted, retconned that factor out. ...The anime can sometimes get worse. Apocrypha's Jack the Ripper is one of the worst designed characters and should not have been done that way. At least the outfit should've been way better. Her backstory is a lot more interesting in its own way and fits the dark tone the series has.
Yeah, its a shame considering I adore Jack the Ripper and think she's adorable and in need of hugs despite her murdering people (I mean, she's kind of too innocent to really know its 'wrong')..but yeah, she's a little girl in a bikini essentially..but you know, Japan loves their lolis..If she had pants it would've been a bit better. since otherwise I quite like her outfit and adorable lil face.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, its a shame considering I adore Jack the Ripper and think she's adorable and in need of hugs despite her murdering people (I mean, she's kind of too innocent to really know its 'wrong')..but yeah, she's a little girl in a bikini essentially..but you know, Japan loves their lolis..If she had pants it would've been a bit better. since otherwise I quite like her outfit and adorable lil face.
Pants not necessarily, but a lot more covered up than that. Like a leotard. She's moving around hyper fast. Pants can be somewhat baggy as is and would get in her way.

I wouldn't even call that a bikini, I'd call that "short of having nothing on" at that point. XD

It didn't help that the current Saber, well, she wasn't such a nice person either. So despite showing some well-meaning, she comes off as a jerkass. Damn, that's one dark series.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Pants not necessarily, but a lot more covered up than that. Like a leotard. She's moving around hyper fast. Pants can be somewhat baggy as is and would get in her way.

I wouldn't even call that a bikini, I'd call that "short of having nothing on" at that point. XD

It didn't help that the current Saber, well, she wasn't such a nice person either. So despite showing some well-meaning, she comes off as a jerkass. Damn, that's one dark series.
She could wear tight pants and move easily enough..but yeah, you're not incorrect..and beyond that we have women jumping around in full gowns just fine, so movement in clothing doesn't seem to be much of an issue..it appears to be purely aesthetic for Servants.

Which Saber do you mean? Artoria? Mordred? Nero? Those are the three primary Sabers in the series. There isn't really a 'current' one considering we have Fate/stay night Heaven's Feel, Fate/Extella Link, and the anime adaption of Fate/Apocrypha all coming out in the past year (well, for the English Dub of Apocrypha at least).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
She could wear tight pants and move easily enough..but yeah, you're not incorrect..and beyond that we have women jumping around in full gowns just fine, so movement in clothing doesn't seem to be much of an issue..it appears to be purely aesthetic for Servants.

Which Saber do you mean? Artoria? Mordred? Nero? Those are the three primary Sabers in the series. There isn't really a 'current' one considering we have Fate/stay night Heaven's Feel, Fate/Extella Link, and the anime adaption of Fate/Apocrypha all coming out in the past year (well, for the English Dub of Apocrypha at least).
I meant in Apocrypha by saying current, though yeah, that's misleading, my bad, so being Mordred. On the other hand, Siegfried was cool~

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I meant in Apocrypha by saying current, though yeah, that's misleading, my bad, so being Mordred. On the other hand, Siegfried was cool~
That's in-character for Mordred though, considering her past. Its more in-depth in the original novels. Remember, she was essentially fast-aged to adulthood and thus had no real development or understanding of how to be social along with severe Daddy Issues due to desiring attention from Artoria that was denied to her and thus prompted her to become the Treacherous Knight. In the novels at least, she comes to terms with her flaws and hang-ups, beginning to understand Artoria better (its touched on in the anime) and how she also didn't know how to act along with having her own hang-ups.
I love Mordred, though she is a jerk, it was still fun watching her develop as a character and I hope we'll have a situation where she can meet Artoria again (that isn't Fate/Grand Order..which I barely see as canon..and hope it isn't considered as such)

On a related note, when it comes to the primary Sabers, my favorites are..
Nero > Artoria > Mordred > Seigfried/Seig
Mordred & Artoria are very close to me, Artoria kind of edges her out though since I also love Saber Alter quite a bit.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's in-character for Mordred though, considering her past. Its more in-depth in the original novels. Remember, she was essentially fast-aged to adulthood and thus had no real development or understanding of how to be social along with severe Daddy Issues due to desiring attention from Artoria that was denied to her and thus prompted her to become the Treacherous Knight. In the novels at least, she comes to terms with her flaws and hang-ups, beginning to understand Artoria better (its touched on in the anime) and how she also didn't know how to act along with having her own hang-ups.
I love Mordred, though she is a jerk, it was still fun watching her develop as a character and I hope we'll have a situation where she can meet Artoria again (that isn't Fate/Grand Order..which I barely see as canon..and hope it isn't considered as such)

On a related note, when it comes to the primary Sabers, my favorites are..
Nero > Artoria > Mordred > Seigfried/Seig
Mordred & Artoria are very close to me, Artoria kind of edges her out though since I also love Saber Alter quite a bit.
Well, wasn't saying it wasn't in-character. I'm aware. I just felt as she's the one to finish off Assassin kind of... I dunno, I feel like they didn't play off each other that well. Well, anyway, I find it interesting what happens way down the line with who the "winner" of the Grail War is.

I thought it was spelled Siegfried and Sieg, that said? I dunno, I do get what people mean by Sieg being a bit silly, but I like him, just not as an outright servant. I feel that was too forced as an idea. I like how he played off of Siegfried, though. I also like how the season is mostly shades of gray overall. In a way, I do feel them trying to still have a Good VS Evil aspect wasn't a good idea. They already had an interesting setup where nobody was truly the good guy among the Red or Black team. Besides that, mostly only a few felt like truly good people, and there was only a few actual evil ones, with most neutral(among the Servants). Barely any of the Masters could honestly be called evil too.

So Jack's design aside, I really did like the season.

As for which, it's hard to say. I found each of the anime Sabers pretty cool. Siegfried didn't last terribly long, and Sieg was a bit eh, but not bad either. Artoria is pretty funny, Nero is a proud woman, Mordred is a hurting soul. They each stand out. That said, I can't wait for Grand/Order to be dubbed.

Natlo

Smash Cadet
(that isn't Fate/Grand Order..which I barely see as canon..and hope it isn't considered as such)
It is canon, is as far as anything in the Nasuverse is canon. It did not occur in the same reality as Stay Night which didn't occur in the same reality as Apocrypha. To say nothing about how none of the Stay Night routes is more canon than the others.

Additional point about something that came up earlier, I'd set .hack apart from Pokemon and Fate because it was designed as a multimedia project, where those two evolved into such. Though I'd probably agree that it was a project centered around a set of video games and as far as we know the rules it isn't disqualified.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
It is canon, is as far as anything in the Nasuverse is canon. It did not occur in the same reality as Stay Night which didn't occur in the same reality as Apocrypha. To say nothing about how none of the Stay Night routes is more canon than the others.
Yeah, that's true at least.
Honestly, like I explained to a co-worker, Fate's canon can be confusing sometimes due to how most of it seems to be alternate realities from one another with the most direct one being the EXT continuity..but even then Extella is a separate canon from Extra due to having an alternate version of it as its backstory..and then Last Encore is an alternate ending route as well that doesn't happen in the games.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah, that's true at least.
Honestly, like I explained to a co-worker, Fate's canon can be confusing sometimes due to how most of it seems to be alternate realities from one another with the most direct one being the EXT continuity..but even then Extella is a separate canon from Extra due to having an alternate version of it as its backstory..and then Last Encore is an alternate ending route as well that doesn't happen in the games.
I know its a little odd, but I do think Fate GO is a good canon point. It includes Stay night and Zero in its timeline, and explains most of the other versions of fate(well not all but a decent amount)

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I know its a little odd, but I do think Fate GO is a good canon point. It includes Stay night and Zero in its timeline, and explains most of the other versions of fate(well not all but a decent amount)
No, it doesn't actually contain those two in it's timeline as in FGO there was only one Fuyuki Holy Grail War and it was the one Olga's dear old dad and Solomon won.

If anything is connected without timeline jumping, it's technically Strange Fake as its in the UBW timeline, last I checked anyways.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
No, it doesn't actually contain those two in it's timeline as in FGO there was only one Fuyuki Holy Grail War and it was the one Olga's dear old dad and Solomon won.

If anything is connected without timeline jumping, it's technically Strange Fake as its in the UBW timeline, last I checked anyways.
If I recall, it actually does timeline jumping since it references the Fuyuki Holy Grail Wars of both SN & Zero, the HGW in Apocrypha, the Moon Cell from the Extra/Extella timelines, and more.
It essentially deals with time travel and thus it gave itself an excuse to have connections to all of the different Fate entries.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
If I recall, it actually does timeline jumping since it references the Fuyuki Holy Grail Wars of both SN & Zero, the HGW in Apocrypha, the Moon Cell from the Extra/Extella timelines, and more.
It essentially deals with time travel and thus it gave itself an excuse to have connections to all of the different Fate entries.
That's due to events for Fate/Zero, Apocrypha, and Extra CCC. Even then they're either an alternate timeline of that HGW, a kind of sequel to it, and technically an singularity. Otherwise those works aren't referenced besides servants who appeared in them sometimes referencing them due to there only being one throne of heroes throughout them all... (kinda in the case the Moon Cell stuff but whatever). Then the Fuyuki Holy Grail Wars are not referenced to as plural during the main story, only as one and that's the one that occurred in FGO's timeline. Otherwise others are referenced from people like Gil or EMIYA.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
That's due to events for Fate/Zero, Apocrypha, and Extra CCC. Even then they're either an alternate timeline of that HGW, a kind of sequel to it, and technically an singularity. Otherwise those works aren't referenced besides servants who appeared in them sometimes referencing them due to there only being one throne of heroes throughout them all... (kinda in the case the Moon Cell stuff but whatever). Then the Fuyuki Holy Grail Wars are not referenced to as plural during the main story, only as one and that's the one that occurred in FGO's timeline. Otherwise others are referenced from people like Gil or EMIYA.
Yeah, pretty much.
Fate would be a lot less confusing if they'd just have a couple timelines before Grand Order..but everything has to be in a different timeline..heck, from what I've heard, even Fate/Zero is separate from Fate/stay night by a single timeline strand..
https://typemoon.fandom.com/wiki/Fate/Zero

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Yeah, pretty much.
Fate would be a lot less confusing if they'd just have a couple timelines before Grand Order..but everything has to be in a different timeline..heck, from what I've heard, even Fate/Zero is separate from Fate/stay night by a single timeline strand..
https://typemoon.fandom.com/wiki/Fate/Zero
Yep, basically a way to just have retcons not be retcons and allow for more creative freedom.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Yep, basically a way to just have retcons not be retcons and allow for more creative freedom.
Yeah, its definitely not a bad idea, it just kind of makes it confusing for newer fans and, imo, its not always needed. Like Apocrypha could probably have still existed after stay night just fine..but yeah, I get how it helps canon.
I also wouldn't have blamed them if they treated it like Zelda and just essentially went 'eh..they fit together..somehow..we don't think too hard on it'.

Shroob

Sup?
I see discussion of Japan's questionable taste in fashion.

The solution is simple

Play Arknights instead. :nifty:

Haven't used this account in a while, figured I'd drop in to show my support and give a Fate news update in case anyone missed it.
First, Emiya-san Gohan game has been confirmed for a NA release https://mainichi-emiyagohan.com/news/?id=54512, no release date for JP or NA yet but I'm hoping we could get a release window at least in that rumored July 20th direct.
Second, Type-Moon Studio BB has a countdown site for Fate/Extra's 10th anniversary http://typemoon-bb.com/fateextra10th/ , notably it's available in both english and japanese so it's likely a western release is already planned. People have been speculating that this is an announcement for a remake of Extra/CCC (I think this is likely as Nasu has expressed interest in remaking Extra) or a third entry in the Extella series. I'm personally fine with either, I loved Extra despite it's weird battle system and it'd be great to finally see CCC translated and I'd LOVE some more Extella goodness.
Anyway that's pretty much it, we still don't have release dates for Heaven's Feel 3 or the FGO Camelot movie. I'm probably gonna go back into lurker mode for a while so as a final note I just wanna say Saber is my absolute MOST wanted character for Smash and I would probably have a heart attack if she got in, fingers crossed everyone.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Haven't used this account in a while, figured I'd drop in to show my support and give a Fate news update in case anyone missed it.
First, Emiya-san Gohan game has been confirmed for a NA release https://mainichi-emiyagohan.com/news/?id=54512, no release date for JP or NA yet but I'm hoping we could get a release window at least in that rumored July 20th direct.
Second, Type-Moon Studio BB has a countdown site for Fate/Extra's 10th anniversary http://typemoon-bb.com/fateextra10th/ , notably it's available in both english and japanese so it's likely a western release is already planned. People have been speculating that this is an announcement for a remake of Extra/CCC (I think this is likely as Nasu has expressed interest in remaking Extra) or a third entry in the Extella series. I'm personally fine with either, I loved Extra despite it's weird battle system and it'd be great to finally see CCC translated and I'd LOVE some more Extella goodness.
Anyway that's pretty much it, we still don't have release dates for Heaven's Feel 3 or the FGO Camelot movie. I'm probably gonna go back into lurker mode for a while so as a final note I just wanna say Saber is my absolute MOST wanted character for Smash and I would probably have a heart attack if she got in, fingers crossed everyone.
I would love for Artoria to get in... though do you think they would force her name to be Altoria like they did in FGO?

I would love for Artoria to get in... though do you think they would force her name to be Altoria like they did in FGO?
I'm 100% sure they would just use "Saber" and not her actual name, unless her spirit board had other Sabers in it in which case I could see them using "Saber (Altria)" for her spirit. I vastly prefer Artoria though.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm 100% sure they would just use "Saber" and not her actual name, unless her spirit board had other Sabers in it in which case I could see them using "Saber (Altria)" for her spirit. I vastly prefer Artoria though.
Calling her saber would work too. And i think everyone prefers Artoria except the head at Type Moon

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Spirit Board time!

Potential spoilers below!
Opinions:
-Robin doesn't fits Soichiro at all. I get he may fit to a teacher aesthetic, but he's a hand-to-hand assassin. Either Mii Brawler or Ryu, even Lucario would be better imo.
-Kojirou should be a Mii Swordfighter with the Takamaru wig and costume. If the Haohmaru battle reused that from the Takamaru one, I don't see why not since it fits the best.
-Roy fits Shirou better, I get Pittoo may be due to dual-wielding daggers, but Roy not only resembles him more, Smash!Roy is portrayed as somewhat impulsive and that is more like him.
-Ken resembles Shinji's hairstyle more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom