• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Japanese and Smash

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
oops, worded it wrong.

all of Miyamotos' series characters(DK/Starfox) are still owned by Nintendo. Krystal, the Kremlings, Diddy, etc. were made by Rare, but since they debuted in nintendo series, they are still owned by Nintendo.

any Rare series that was standalone is now Microsoft.

the only exception is Conker, who debuted in Diddy kong Racing but is still owned by microsoft now.

So in a nutshell: Nintendo owns all DK and Starfox characters, and Microsoft owns everyone else.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
I wish that was the case with SMRPG.

Also, Banjo is an exception to that as well since he debuted in DKR too.

Anyway to the topic at hand, one thing I'm glad about in regards to the Japanese and Smash is that Black Shadow is more popular than Samurai Goroh. I like both, but I'd rather see Black Shadow make it in.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Actually Banjo is owned by Microsoft.
Its too confusing.
Point is games Like Banjo Kazooie and Bad Fur Day didn't get a Japanese release

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
I know Banjo is owned by MS, I was saying he was in the same boat as Conker.

I find it odd that Banjo Kazooie and Bad Fur Day didn't release in Japan. I wonder had Rare stayed with Nintendo, if Banjo or Conker could have made it in SSB. SSB has had Japan-only characters but not the other way around I don't think.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Is it possible to ask to the japanese people if they would like to see characters of western origin in the game, and if so which ones?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I know Banjo is owned by MS, I was saying he was in the same boat as Conker.

I find it odd that Banjo Kazooie and Bad Fur Day didn't release in Japan. I wonder had Rare stayed with Nintendo, if Banjo or Conker could have made it in SSB. SSB has had Japan-only characters but not the other way around I don't think.
Both Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie released in Japan, even though their Wiki article doesn't say so for some reason. B&K were pretty popular in Japan and were fairly high up on the Melee character poll. I'm guessing BFD didn't release in Japan because it was created from the ground up around western humor and jokes, and possibly to a lesser extent because it was released quite late in the 64's life. I'm sure if Nintendo still owned Banjo-Kazooie they would be a character by now. And Conker would probably be an AT at least. It makes me sad every time I think about how we'll probably never get B&K in Smash. :(:sadeyes:

As for non Japanese-created characters, currently the only one is Diddy Kong. The only others I can think of that have a chance for SSB4 are K. Rool, Dixie, and Krystal, all created by Rare. I'm guessing if Retro ever creates their own IP, we might see a character from that too. As for characters that never even had a game in Japan, it's pretty much just Mike Jones and Raimi (from Geist). And they won't get in.

Is it possible to ask to the japanese people if they would like to see characters of western origin in the game, and if so which ones?
Most of the Rare-created DK characters are pretty popular in Japan, and they're all of western origin. Krystal isn't too popular in Japan IIRC, so other than Dixie and K. Rool, I doubt any other western Nintendo characters will have much support there (there really aren't that many others anyway).

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I would doubt that. I think western games aren't that famous in Japan. Could be wrong though.

Uffe

Smash Hero
The magazine image is a wishlist, right? I don't even know who some of those characters are. If they're going to throw Dark Pit in, then they should throw in the missing antagonists from Metroid, F-Zero, Donkey Kong, EarthBound, etc. You get the idea. It just wouldn't make any sense to have that character get top priority over the others who have been in the series for much longer.

EpicDark

Smash Rookie
NNID
EpicDark
I'm not entirely sure that popularity/fans shoving characters down dev throats is going to guarantee their appearance. I mean, how many people created/signed a petition to have snake in SSBB? Obviously a number less than the people who want King K. Rool, Mewtwo, or Bowser Junior. The Wii Fit Trainer also was a character unexpected to appear, but has.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
The magazine image is a wishlist, right? I don't even know who some of those characters are. If they're going to throw Dark Pit in, then they should throw in the missing antagonists from Metroid, F-Zero, Donkey Kong, EarthBound, etc. You get the idea. It just wouldn't make any sense to have that character get top priority over the others who have been in the series for much longer.
It's just a popular character chart, nothing to do with Smash I don't think.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
Inazuma Eleven seems to be pretty darn popular among the Japanese. I wonder if Mark Evans will be more likely to become Level-5's rep if they want a character instead of Professor Layton...

Which I guess is fine by me. I love Inazuma Eleven and Mark is a pretty cool character and he definitely has great potential of a good moveset. But I much rather have Professor Layton being playable in smash. =/

I wonder if I should make a Mark Evans support thread in the Smash 4 newcomer boards...
Nintendo should just buy Level-5 lol And yeah, go for it!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I would doubt that. I think western games aren't that famous in Japan. Could be wrong though.
The Last of Us has done fairly well for itself here in Japan. Some other notable titles has been Zombie Wii U, the Assassin's Creed series, Halo, etc. Call of Duty and GTA, however, has the greatest hold on the western video game market in Japan. They are very popular and have gained a lot of media attention.

Sadly, not too many western Nintendo games actually come to Japan. the PS3 and XBox has more Western games available than Nintendo does.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
The Last of Us has done fairly well for itself here in Japan. Some other notable titles has been Zombie Wii U, the Assassin's Creed series, Halo, etc. Call of Duty and GTA, however, has the greatest hold on the western video game market in Japan. They are very popular and have gained a lot of media attention.

Sadly, not too many western Nintendo games actually come to Japan. the PS3 and XBox has more Western games available than Nintendo does.
Oh, I remeber reading ( a long time ago) that the XBox 360 wasn't doing so well in japan and sorta assumed that the games aren't doing well either. Also, I didn't know that Zombie U was made in the west. I thought that was a japanese game since it was on the Wii U (silly BaPr :awesome:).

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Oh, I remeber reading ( a long time ago) that the XBox 360 wasn't doing so well in japan and sorta assumed that the games aren't doing well either. Also, I didn't know that Zombie U was made in the west. I thought that was a japanese game since it was on the Wii U (silly BaPr :awesome:).
Zombie Wii U is Ubisoft.

Top Bottom