• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Japanese and Smash

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hey everyone,

I know there is an area for Japanese Smash information on the stickied Source Directory but I wanted to make a separate topic dedicated to Japanese information/rumors/leaks/ideas concerning Smash. I would like to invite any Smashers who live in Japan or have knowledge in the Japanese language to help with compiling information, forming Japanese Smash contacts, and helping translate Japanese Smash fan sites.

Currently, I try to get an OK from both my BoE and my Junior High scool that I teach at to allow students to play Smash with me during lunch break. English version Smash of course. My plan is to get Japanese kids, who are interested in Smash, into a room together to discuss the new Smash 4 game.

I have spent sometime talking to students about it. Of the 12 kids I talked to, only one knew of Smash 4 but wasn't aware Namco was helping develop it. All the other kids were kind of "Hoh-hum" with it and didn't seem to care. I am not sure if that is because of classroom social pressures or they aren't just interested.

So I am hoping to get my students, who are interested in Smash, into one room to play it and discuss the future of Smash.

However, from what I have gathered, here I some characters that the students I talked to want:

- Bowser Jr.
- Waluigi
- Mewtwo
- Zoroark
- Victini
- Roy
- Chrom
- Saki
- Megaman
- A Inazuma 11 character
- A Biohazard aka Resident Evil Character
- Hatsune Miku

Some of them never heard of Ridley, King K. Rool, or Geno ::sad::

So I will be adding information and will start doing some legwork to find how Japanese feel about Smash 4.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Inazuma Eleven seems to be pretty darn popular among the Japanese. I wonder if Mark Evans will be more likely to become Level-5's rep if they want a character instead of Professor Layton...

Which I guess is fine by me. I love Inazuma Eleven and Mark is a pretty cool character and he definitely has great potential of a good moveset. But I much rather have Professor Layton being playable in smash. =/

I wonder if I should make a Mark Evans support thread in the Smash 4 newcomer boards...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well if you can get some good results I'll add them to the directory.

What you have so far does match up to what Chrono and Toise have found so far, as well as that magazine from Sakurai's twitter the other day. lol

Also Geno is best left forgotten. :troll:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think that Nintendo should be more active with the fandom and make four popularity contests: one of Japan and Asia, one for America, one for Europe and one for Australia and Oceania. that way, everyone could express their wishes in a poll in each of the Nintendo websites... just a possibility. after all, a lot of people play SSB around the world, so I think everyone could participate.

Bowser Jr., Zoroark and Mewtwo seem to be popular there... interesting, as I would like to see them in SSB4.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
^ They did it with Pokemon last year, so i see no reason why not.

also, their results sync almost perfectly with this:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I also want to throw out this that I bought. The magazine I bought have different characters.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
hmm... judging from the scans above, it seems there's a lot of popularity with Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus series characters. and... did I just see Ghirahim and Dark Pit? because those are among the characters I would like to see in SSB4... and looks like that, by judging on these polls, Ike isn't going anywhere.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So Venus, have your read any message boards/sites that are Japanese and block non-Japanese IPs=??? That really is the only information we can't gather.

Still, it is interesting that young elementary school students and junior high students agree with data Chrono, Toise, and shortie collected on various Japanese smash sites/stuff about smash. I guess it makes sense, since most of the people who post on the internet aren't much older than that age group! :laugh:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If you hear anything about Krystal, post it hear or bring it by my thread. I want to see what the Japanese think of her, and what the Japanese fans of Krystal would like to see from her in SSB4. Heck, in general anything you hear you should post. The link between two fan groups is really something special.

:phone:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If I recall correctly, Krystal is not a particularly popular character in Japan. Which is a tad ironic since the Japanese tend to have a fixation for the female characters. It doesn't help that the games after Star Fox 64 sold somewhat poorly in those regions though, which is also ironically when she debuted.

Also I'm somewhat surprised that the Japanese are so fixated with Inazuma Eleven. Is it really that large of a series out there?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well, I am getting the inside scoop from someone in Japan, not from a Krystal hater. *kisskiss* ^^

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If you're going to get the inside scoop, make sure to pick out a group of people not just one. Otherwise it will be very deceiving for the generally viewer.

(Also you seem to be a bit sensitive to any form of criticism of your beliefs.)

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Well, I am getting the inside scoop from someone in Japan, not from a Krystal hater. *kisskiss* ^^

I just want you to know I support your cause to get Krystal in Smash....Its a shame Japan doesn't seem to feel the same way. Its all up to Sakurai and company to do the right thing!

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
I think that Nintendo should be more active with the fandom and make four popularity contests: one of Japan and Asia, one for America, one for Europe and one for Australia and Oceania. that way, everyone could express their wishes in a poll in each of the Nintendo websites... just a possibility. after all, a lot of people play SSB around the world, so I think everyone could participate.

Bowser Jr., Zoroark and Mewtwo seem to be popular there... interesting, as I would like to see them in SSB4.
That would be good. Little Mac, Ridley, and K Rool don't seem to be very popular in Japan, so that worries me.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
That would be good. Little Mac, Ridley, and K Rool don't seem to be very popular in Japan, so that worries me.
Well isnt there any characters that made it into Brawl that wasnt too popular in Japan? Does Sakurai literally determine his entire roster based on every lil character Japan likes??

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well isnt there any characters that made it into Brawl that wasnt too popular in Japan? Does Sakurai literally determine his entire roster based on every lil character Japan likes??
This is true. Sakurai is aware of what is popular in the west as well, heck he said the west was the reason Sonic got in Brawl.

He's also aware of Ridley (thanks to Nintendo Power), and Little Mac is commonly demanded. Can't say much about K Rool though, reports on the old Wii U thread have him as universally wanted (though in Japan Dixie is wanted more).

AIM0001

Smash Lord
This is true. Sakurai is aware of what is popular in the west as well, heck he said the west was the reason Sonic got in Brawl.

He's also aware of Ridley (thanks to Nintendo Power), and Little Mac is commonly demanded. Can't say much about K Rool though, reports on the old Wii U thread have him as universally wanted (though in Japan Dixie is wanted more).
I think despite what we want and what Japan wants I think thats when Sakurai needs to really think about he feels which characters would add diversity to the roster. When it comes to Japan wanting Dixie, ya sure i like her and the thought of using her hair as a weapon and being able to glide around excites me. But the #1 thing this new Smash roster needs is more bad guys.....

So when it comes to iconic antagonist I belive K. Rool is in that discussion. K. Rool to DK is what Dedede is to Kirby, Ridley to Samus is what Bowser is to Mario. K. Rool or even Ridley not being in after all this time is suprising to me.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think despite what we want and what Japan wants I think thats when Sakurai needs to really think about he feels which characters would add diversity to the roster. When it comes to Japan wanting Dixie, ya sure i like her and the thought of using her hair as a weapon and being able to glide around excites me. But the #1 thing this new Smash roster needs is more bad guys.....

So when it comes to iconic antagonist I belive K. Rool is in that discussion. K. Rool to DK is what Dedede is to Kirby, Ridley to Samus is what Bowser is to Mario. K. Rool or even Ridley not being in after all this time is suprising to me.
agreed. the Smash roster needs more antagonistic characters. if they can work Ridley into a playable character, I think most people will be overjoyed, me included. King K. Rool is important as well, should be the top priority for DK newcomers.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
If I had to take a guess, possibly Diddy and Ice climbers. Mybe Wolf as well.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Dude what is up with Hatsune Miku getting in these polls?

Anyway I was wondering if there is a Japanese equivalent to the Smashboards?
Some sorta Japanese smash bros. forum?
We gotta get involved there. Maybe hint at K. Rool? XD

Apparently my name in Kanji ( Da Ko Ta) reads "Hit Child Alot" or "Strike Child Many"
Pretty different than it's Native American origin meaning Ally, or Friend.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If I recall correctly, Krystal is not a particularly popular character in Japan. Which is a tad ironic since the Japanese tend to have a fixation for the female characters. It doesn't help that the games after Star Fox 64 sold somewhat poorly in those regions though, which is also ironically when she debuted.

Also I'm somewhat surprised that the Japanese are so fixated with Inazuma Eleven. Is it really that large of a series out there?
Honestly, I wouldn't look too much into Japanese popularity for Starfox or Metroid. Those two are simply more appealing to Western audiences. I wonder if sci-fi's not their thing.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Japan was into Star Fox and especially Star Fox 64. Star Fox 64 3D actually sold pretty well.

It's just after that the country of Japan largely stopped buying Star Fox. Then again, Assault and Command didn't sell well (compared to previous entries) well anywhere.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Honestly, I wouldn't look too much into Japanese popularity for Starfox or Metroid. Those two are simply more appealing to Western audiences. I wonder if sci-fi's not their thing.
You say they dont like Sci-Fi? Well they better start liking some. Especailly some Megaman!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There is a significant contingent within the Japanese fanbase that is pretty much satisfied with Smash Bros.'s roster as of Brawl. Among these types, the only characters that come up to be added to Smash 4 are Mewtwo and Roy. I think the existence of these types of Smash Bros. fans may be the basis for why Sakurai thinks he won't have to add as many newcomers this time around (that and the fact that there genuinely is a much shallower pool to draw from than there was for Melee and Brawl) and Sakurai even going on to say that Brawl's roster size being close to the limit of what's feasible for Smash 4.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm interested in seeing any new tidbits you find about K. Rool. All we've heard thus far is that he's pretty much the main SSB4 newcomer the Japanese are satisfied with, and that, although Dixie is more wanted on the site Chronobound checked out, it's usually the other way around, and both are among the region's top five most wanted characters regardless.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Games by Rareware in general just weren't released in Japan. Was there even a japanese release for Banjo Kazooie or Conker's Bad Fur Day? They missed out on the era of Rareware during the N64 days! They had so many revolutionary releases! Makes ya feel kinda selfish for bi$#%#ng about Sim Date RPG Princess: Hot Spa Gaiden Star Brigade not being released to the West.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Even if Sakurai only adds a a few newcomer; Mewtwo, Roy, Palutena, Ridley, King K. Rool, Little Mac, Takamaru, Zoroark would all probably be the best popular (and relevant to an extent) choices. Add that to the Brawl roster (minus the guest characters) and that pretty much satisfies the majority of people.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Even if Sakurai only adds a a few newcomer; Mewtwo, Roy, Palutena, Ridley, King K. Rool, Little Mac, Takamaru, Zoroark would all probably be the best popular (and relevant to an extent) choices. Add that to the Brawl roster (minus the guest characters) and that pretty much satisfies the majority of people.
I concur that a small number of newcomers (let's say nine) could still satisfy the majority of Smash Bros. fans. The idea that Sakurai needs to put in a number of newcomers on par with Brawl (or even Melee) at this point is absurd.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
No Ridley or K. Rool? Could that explain why they weren't added in Brawl in playable form; lack of popularity in Japan? Interesting to see how they want Waluigi, Megaman, and even Hatsune Miku. Also glad they want Roy and Mewtwo back.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
No Ridley or K. Rool? Could that explain why they weren't added in Brawl in playable form; lack of popularity in Japan? Interesting to see how they want Waluigi, Megaman, and even Hatsune Miku. Also glad they want Roy and Mewtwo back.
To be fair, K. Rool does get a good amount of requests on Japanese message boards. Mega Man is also by far the most requested third-party character. Ridley was decently requested in Japan prior to Brawl's release, but I am thinking now that think Ridley's role is now designated as a boss in Japan (much like how Toad is popular in Japan, yet many people don't support him for Smash Bros. because they think his place is being Peach's neutral special). Interestingly enough, I have seen posts acknowledging Ridley and Little Mac having "overseas" popularity.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'd be cool with that, just as long as there's no cuts (bar Guest Characters).

The idea that Sakurai needs to put in a number of newcomers on par with Brawl (or even Melee) at this point is absurd.
Pretty sure that's what he ment in that quote that people are getting all bent out of shape over. Either way it's certainly not going to be like Melee where he added characters for the sake of buffing the roster.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'd be cool with that, just as long as there's no cuts (bar Guest Characters).
Out of the two guests, I can see Sonic the Hedgehog returning. Megaman and Pacman (who knew) are about the only two guest characters I could see being included at this point. Geno makes the most sense out of all of the guest characters, but SquareEnix probably will only go with what profits the most for them as a company (advertisement).

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
I wish Nintendo would just buy the rights to all of the SMRPG stuff. Had it not been for SquareEnix's stubbornness we probably would have gotten Geno in Brawl. It's pretty dumb that they haven't let Nintendo use any of the stuff. It's not like Square has used any of it.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't see any cuts from Brawl to SSB4. Sakurai seemed like he only cut characters from Brawl due to time constraints, and with a bigger development team he might not have to cut characters. The quote about characters, I believe anyways, is more him saying that there won't be as many new characters because at this stage it's not as important as innovating and refining the gameplay. Plus, there's the availability of DLC characters anyway so it's not as important to have a lot of on-disk characters.

Top Bottom