• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The iphone

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I was just thinking about the iPhone hype. And it reminded me of when PS3 first came out and how everyone wanted one. Sure, the iPhone is awesome. And so was the PS3 when that first came out. But do you think people would make the same mistake like they did with the PS3? The iPhone, just to buy is worth $500. And here are what the monthly bills are going to be on it...

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/31534

I think its a great piece of hardware, maybe too good, just like the PS3's case. Having high cost. Only exclusive to Cingular and AT&T. There's a reason why other cell phone companies wont pay to have this phone. Cingular and AT&T merged together and probably had enough money to get the iPhone to be their carrier. I think they were desperate. I had many people tell me that CIngular and AT&T are the worst with customer service help and support. So they probably saw they were losing more customers, so they thought the iPhone might be a good investment.
I personally wouldnt change phone companies. Anyways, whats everyones opinion on this?

Apple is greedy... :urg:

Changed title so the topic doesn't shift

ToXn

Smash Journeyman
I have discussed this on neogaf before.

Noone is going to buy this unless there in a situation were they need both a phone and mp3. most people have an mp3 already and ontop of that there a rule I stick by and alot other probabley do too which is not buy anything over 300$ when it could break so easily, and get scracthced just by being in your pocket. Plus that thing is hugeeeee. (Xbox Lol)

If you are gonna buy it, wait. Early adopters get screwed in the *** I have learned this with the wii and ipod video.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I have a PS3 and I get a lot of worth and enjoyment out of it.

Consoles aren't like cell phones. Consoles take up a VERY small percentage of the overall market. Cell phones are almost a necessity nowadays. The iPhone combines several things into one product.

In your comparison, the PS3 has been steadily rising in sales overall. The iPhone, which has all it's features at the get go, will also sell well.

But, I don't want one, so I don't care much of it.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I was comparing what might happen. It might be like the PS3 launch or not. And PS3 sales arent doing so well now. Im sure PS3 sales will pick up though when E3 comes around, but Sony has to think of something special, to get better sales. Im saying the same thing might happen with the iPhone. Not that many people will buy it for that price tag, they rather wait for the iPhone2.

I have a PS3 and I get a lot of worth and enjoyment out of it.

Consoles aren't like cell phones. Consoles take up a VERY small percentage of the overall market. Cell phones are almost a necessity nowadays. The iPhone combines several things into one product.

In your comparison, the PS3 has been steadily rising in sales overall. The iPhone, which has all it's features at the get go, will also sell well.

But, I don't want one, so I don't care much of it.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Cingular and AT&T didn't merge. AT&T has had full ownership of Cingular since last year, and partial ownership before that. All that Cingular did was change its name in hopes of better name-recognition.

Wuss

Smash Champion
I agree with toxn, I already an mp3 and a cell phone, I know that I personnally think that I don't need one at all. I see most of the sales going to rich kids that already have all of these things, and want the new craze, and rich adults, wanting to be cool. I don't think that most people will be buying it considering the cost, when they already have everything it offers, just a bit less conventely...

Pit 42

Smash Lord
iPhone is just what the technology market needed. However, like tech triumphs PS3 and HDTV before it, it's much too expensive to even be close to mainstream. I'll wait until the price drops before I check it out.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
I've been waiting for something like this to be released for a while, and when somebody finally makes a version with at least 20GB storage space on it, I'll buy one. I pretty much always carry my phone around, and I always take my ipod to uni, both to listen to music on the bus, and to function as my portable hard drive, as my study means I deal with a lot of digital data. I would also like to have a decent camera with me, my digital camera is too big to carry around unless I know I'm gonna be taking photos, and my camera phone is next to useless.

If I can combine all of these things into one convenient package, I'll get it, even if it's a bit pricey.

Skywalker

Space Jump
The hard drive is pathetic. 4 or 8GB isn't very much, considering the iPhone can play movies. The Video iPod costs much less and has 30 or 60 GB of storage. I'll stay away from the iPhone until its hard drive increases in size.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
It's a phone first and foremost. I can't see the HD expanding for a LONG time and 8 is more than enough if you use it for its intended purpose.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
It's a phone first and foremost. I can't see the HD expanding for a LONG time and 8 is more than enough if you use it for its intended purpose.
Especially because of video streaming (youtube, tv-links, veoh) and online music streaming (radio websites, etc.), 8 gigs is definately enough space on the phone.

Skywalker

Space Jump
I forgot it was a phone and it could stream Youtube. Silly, silly me. >_< I'm a bit worried about fingerprints on the touch screen though.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
THAT is a legitimate concern. I always take good care of my stuff. Polish my guitars after use, wash hands before getting on laptop, desktop, PS3, DS (when I had it) etc. So with the touch screen on the DS, I hated using the stylus, but I hated even more using my fingers. Hopefully Apple has some idea, even though I hate Apple.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Why do people us the price as a point to attack it?

Cars cost thousands of more dollars for models that no one really needs, yet people buy them. Desktop computers made specifically for gaming can cost upwards of $4000, and there is a whole market just for that. Apple has made some revolutionary stuff outside of computers (I will never use a Mac) and they have a loyal and devoted market. If it's too much for you to afford, don't buy it. Why do people have to attack stuff after that?

Though, since my dad works for AT&T which does own Cingular, I can get it pretty cheap. Hmm...

Lightshade

Smash Ace
Man, you have connections with the man. That must be a really nice job.
I think the reason people attack the price is mainly because half of them are minors without jobs and rely on parent's money.

-=Marth_n_Roy=-

Smash Ace
It's a phone first and foremost.
And as a phone, IMHO, it sucks. It is specifically designed for ONE PROVIDER (AT&T). TO others (like myself) kinda ticks us off that it wont allow a universal pluggin like a SIM card so we can use our OWN providers and not the one they shove onto us.

The reason im stating this, is sure the phone is pricey, but compared to my current T-Mobile plan and my friend's Verison package, the plans for this thing will likely do it in (i switch FROM AT&T to T-Mobile)

...I'm a bit worried about fingerprints on the touch screen though.
i had a small film i got for my DS sometime ago, keeps it nice and clean. you could always use a stylus with it

I think the Iphone is going into the trash. The apple has gotten rotten.
That it has lightshade, that it has

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
And as a phone, IMHO, it sucks. It is specifically designed for ONE PROVIDER (AT&T). TO others (like myself) kinda ticks us off that it wont allow a universal pluggin like a SIM card so we can use our OWN providers and not the one they shove onto us.
The phone doesnt suck. It just sucks that only one provider carries it.

The reason im stating this, is sure the phone is pricey, but compared to my current T-Mobile plan and my friend's Verison package, the plans for this thing will likely do it in (i switch FROM AT&T to T-Mobile)
Quoted from the article in the first post

"Putting it all together, designing a comparable plan to iPhone's $60 service on AT&T with a non-iPhone device would actually cost about $70 a month."

In the end the iphone plans are actually not a bad deal.

Zabutur

Smash Apprentice
In my eyes, it;s going to get the EXACT same fate as the PS3, down to the letter:
THERE'S NO WAY IN H3LL I'M BUYING A PIECE OF CRAP LIKE THAT FOR THAT MUCH MONEY!!!!!

considering how
(A) I hate Playsation
(A) I hate cellphones
(B) they both waste SSBM time
(C) they're both a waste of money

I'll stick with my little $250 Wii w/ 4 games and 3 controllers (2 nunchucks). let's see, that totals to be:
Wii (1 con. 1 nun. 1 game): $250 ($250)
2 games: $100 ($350)
Wii Play: (game, 1 con.) $50 ($400)
Free controller from faulty copy of Wii Play: $0 ($400)
1 Nunchuck: $20 ($420)
1 new GCN controller : $30 ($450)
SSBM was a previous investment: $0 ($450)
1 new GCN controller ($20) & 2 used: ($30): $50 ($500)
there you go.summed up in a nutshell, there's a much better way to spen your $500.
and, if you add the $40 controller most people aren't so luck to get like myself, and the $30 used copy of SSBM, that makes an extra $50. not even a month with the iPhone, and not enough for the PS3 "deluxe" BS unless you add taxes--maybe.

there's your sign...

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Alright guys, don't discuss the PS3 in here. Take it to the console debates.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I can't live without a cell phone. I've been having a hard time regaining my life since my last iPod blew up.

If the iPhone was with Verizon, I'd totally get one. Best Buy has product service plans, and product replacement plans. If it breaks, I get a new one for about 30 bucks. Not bad.

okrasareveggies

Smash Rookie
The phone doesnt suck. It just sucks that only one provider carries it.

Quoted from the article in the first post

"Putting it all together, designing a comparable plan to iPhone's $60 service on AT&T with a non-iPhone device would actually cost about $70 a month."

In the end the iphone plans are actually not a bad deal.
are you joking? :laugh:
i have the sprint sero plan...
for $30...
-300 min.
-unlimited texting
-unlimited roaming
-unlimited web(data)
-unlimited nights and weekends (starts at 7)
-etc.

and plus... considering the sprint network supports EVDO REV A (800 kbps average) compared to at&t's edge network (200 kbps average :laugh:)....

annd. its the SERO plan, so you get bigger discounts on the phone. :)
sprint ftw!@

jaej

Smash Journeyman
RaptorHawk said:
The phone doesnt suck.
Wrong. Lets see:

-no picture messages
-last i knew, no recording video (this might be a rumor though)
-no songs as ringtones
-crappy network
-not the latest internet connection (att wtf?)
-glass screen (just think if you drop it)
-difficult touch keyboard
-$600 price tag (well over $1000 after it's all said and done)
-no removable battery
-no extra memory (though not sure if you need it w/ 8 gig)
-bulky
-idea stolen from lg
-apple, inc.

Buy it if you want, but it's not really a great phone. Sure, you can look at album art, and browse the 'real web', and zoom by pinching your fingers (man, i always wanted to do that. right). It's not like there aren't better japanese phones on better networks for half the price.

verizon ftw

jaej

Smash Journeyman
Hmm. I didn't know there were that many practical problems with it, I only knew about the hardware, etc.

Wow that's pretty much the suck.

WFL

Smash Journeyman
To me I think Apple has come up with something that satisfies everyone except for that deaf, dumb, blind kid.

The who?!?!?

Smash Guru

Smash Rookie
I've been following the iPhone on ign.com and I must say I'm really impressed by it. I like the fact that it has a lot of memory (4gb or 8gb) and the touch screen concept looks cool as well. I'm not to fond of touch screens after the annoying samsung E900 but I hope that this one works better. It is a bit overpriced for the features that it has and I think it is a little stupid for not having a responsive key pad but overall its worth the buy I'd say in the long run.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I was just thinking about the iPhone hype. And it reminded me of when PS3 first came out and how everyone wanted one. Sure, the iPhone is awesome. And so was the PS3 when that first came out. But do you think people would make the same mistake like they did with the PS3? The iPhone, just to buy is worth $500. And here are what the monthly bills are going to be on it...

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/31534

I think its a great piece of hardware, maybe too good, just like the PS3's case. Having high cost. Only exclusive to Cingular and AT&T. There's a reason why other cell phone companies wont pay to have this phone. Cingular and AT&T merged together and probably had enough money to get the iPhone to be their carrier. I think they were desperate. I had many people tell me that CIngular and AT&T are the worst with customer service help and support. So they probably saw they were losing more customers, so they thought the iPhone might be a good investment.
I personally wouldnt change phone companies. Anyways, whats everyones opinion on this?

Apple is greedy... :urg:

Changed title so the topic doesn't shift
EDIT: NVM. Ignore this post please.

Top Bottom