• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "I'm anti-this so I'm posting why that other deserves more" topic

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Here's a fictive situation.

So I walk in the Sakurai support thread, and all of a sudden I see an argument on why Miyamoto is more deserving than Sakurai. Some argue that since Sakurai made the game, he should be added to the game, but others feel like Miyamoto has been in the business longer, he basically is the face of Nintendo. The discussion goes on and on and then the topic doesn't even go about why Sakurai deserves to be in, but rather why Miyamoto deserves to be in more than Sakurai. And that all in the Sakurai support thread.

Do you think it's right? Do you like it when I barge in your Ridley topic, saying Tyranitar should be in because he has a more plausible size? Do you think it's fun when I go in the Sora thread saying Cloud is a better choice? Do you want to read **** like that in the support thread of your character? Because I can think up a lot of counter-entries for almost every character you can imagine.

Please, don't be such a douche.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Eh, that is half of what happens in support threads. There are two types of people:

Those who support, and those who don't.

I suppose there are those who don't care either way, but they shouldn't be posting on a support topic in the first place.

I do think when it gets to a discussion of another character completely and loses focus, it's gone a bit far, but comparing and contrasting two candidates is fine as far as I can see...

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
In my opinion these people who bring out other characters just distract from the original character discussion.

And yes, I do agree that people against a certain character posting in that character's support thread takes away from the support part, but in my opinion if it doesn't carry away from the actual purpose of the thread, it's fine.

Magically Enhanced Hobo

Smash Journeyman
I come from the land of the ice and snow..
Okay, on topic:

I think the whole point of a character support thread is to give reasons as to why your character deserves to be in. If you can't defend that character against people's arguments as to why they would NOT work, you probably should not be supporting that character in the first place.

For instance, I was skeptical about Ridley at first, but when I went into the thread, they debunked any arguments I might have had right off the bat. Now, I support Ridley wholeheartedly. Had the thread just been mindless adoration of the character with nobody questioning why he should be in the game, this would not be a discussion forum.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Yes, that is indeed true, but the point I'm making here is, you shouldn't have to compare your character against another character. The odds of a character getting included doesn't depend on other characters inclusions, with the exceptions of characters from one and the same third party companies.

You shouldn't have to compare a Krystal with a Wolf. For all we know they both get included.

Dhaka

Smash Cadet
Here's a fictive situation.

So I walk in the Sakurai support thread, and all of a sudden I see an argument on why Miyamoto is more deserving than Sakurai. Some argue that since Sakurai made the game, he should be added to the game, but others feel like Miyamoto has been in the business longer, he basically is the face of Nintendo. The discussion goes on and on and then the topic doesn't even go about why Sakurai deserves to be in, but rather why Miyamoto deserves to be in more than Sakurai. And that all in the Sakurai support thread.

Do you think it's right? Do you like it when I barge in your Ridley topic, saying Tyranitar should be in because he has a more plausible size? Do you think it's fun when I go in the Sora thread saying Cloud is a better choice? Do you want to read **** like that in the support thread of your character? Because I can think up a lot of counter-entries for almost every character you can imagine.

Please, don't be such a douche.
Finally... someone who shows intelligence on these forums...

Magically Enhanced Hobo

Smash Journeyman
I come from the land of the ice and snow..
Ah, right, I see we have a misunderstanding. I was saying that it's all right to criticize characters' chances on their own merits, like popularity or importance to a series. I agree that comparing one character to another for no reason is lame though, especially in their own support thread.

If someone came in to the Isaac thread and told me Cloud is a better choice because they look the same....lawl.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
"Don't be a douche"? He didn't even flame. When you flame for a bad reason in an arguement, that's trolling.

Basically, you told people not to argue on why x shouldn't be in Brawl even if it's a clean arguement. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

People should allowed to argue why x shouldn't be in Brawl. THe only point you have is to not say x is better than y.

For example, the Ashley Thread. I simply come in and ask why everyone wants her in. All I do is mention Geno, then BAM a troll(~Krystal~) appears.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
"Don't be a douche"? He didn't even flame. When you flame for a bad reason in an arguement, that's trolling.

Basically, you told people not to argue on why x shouldn't be in Brawl even if it's a clean arguement. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

People should allowed to argue why x shouldn't be in Brawl. THe only point you have is to not say x is better than y.

For example, the Ashley Thread. I simply come in and ask why everyone wants her in. All I do is mention Geno, then BAM a troll(~Krystal~) appears.

Ashley fad people, meet Geno(The better choice). Jimmy T. gets in before her, and neither are getting in. People are overreacting about her. This is Animal Crossing character logic. Song=Character, not to mention she got brownie points for being a female. The real person who drags children to hell is Driblim, that pogeyman balloon thing. Some idiot twisted it to Ashley, and I have no clue who in hell coined it.
In the Ashley thread you simply came in and said she wouldn't be in after saying that Geno would make the better choice. Your arguments for why Ashley wouldn't be in were non-existent. You basically told the Ashley supporters that they shouldn't be supporting Ashley because there is only a song about her and nothing more. If you can point me to the part of your post that actually welcomed discussion or a response of any kind to your "inquiry" I'd be glad to see it. Your post was just there to stir **** and stir **** it did.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
In the Ashley thread you simply came in and said she wouldn't be in after saying that Geno would make the better choice. Your arguments for why Ashley wouldn't be in were non-existent. You basically told the Ashley supporters that they shouldn't be supporting Ashley because there is only a song about her and nothing more. If you can point me to the part of your post that actually welcomed discussion or a response of any kind to your "inquiry" I'd be glad to see it. Your post was just there to stir **** and stir **** it did.
I apologize to the Ashley supporters, the ones who had nothing to do with the pic. (Obviously)

As for the Geno Alliance: Go to hell. :chuckle:
Krystal not only trolls the Geno thread, but she brings the flame war here too? Seriously it's pathetic, there was no need to do that, most of the time in this thread, we just discuss Ashley in a friendly way, a little debate is never bad but not like this.
Yay, Pinocchio for Brawl!

When Geno talks about being in Brawl his nose grows bigger.
Thank you for pointing that out for me vesperview. :)

I completely forgot that Puppetmon is way cooler. ;)
Geno? Zzzzzz.

I think I've seen him somewhere before....

Ashley for brawl.
lol, that is funny. Just make sure the Geno supporters don't find this.
Hey, I'm a Geno supporter, and that's not Geno. I don't see how it can be used against him at all.:ohwell:
I'm also a Geno supporter, but I'm not going to attack. :laugh:
Read these quotes. Who's stirring **** now?

Shuma

Smash Hero
~Krystal~ Has been utterly pwned. Finish HIM(her)*!!!

*You never know with krystal fans.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
Ahh yes, who stirred **** to begin with?
I was opped up about Geno, so I said he was and Jimmy T were better choices. I then started to state my arguements, which never compared Geno and Ashley. I was just questioning why Ashley should be in Brawl.

I have a question for you: Why should she be in Brawl?

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Eh.... you did! seriously, you always just post in threads to start a flame war, like in the Geno thread and now the Ashley thread.
Lol. I never wanted a flame war in the Ashley thread, but it seems I almost started one with that pic of Puppetmon. Of course you are confusing flame wars with character bashing. I do not like Geno and if comparing him to Puppetmon is my way of saying it, then so be it. :)

altir

Smash Apprentice
you are both stiring in a thead that is anti stir.so....
kindly take your business elsewhere.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Then you're an imbecile fool. If you don't like a character you don't go around screaming that you don't like it.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Lol. I never wanted a flame war in the Ashley thread, but it seems I almost started one with that pic of Puppetmon. Of course you are confusing flame wars with character bashing. I do not like Geno and if comparing him to Puppetmon is my way of saying it, then so be it. :)
Character Bashing often leads to flame wars in case you didn't know that and your comparison to puppetmon was irrelevant to show your disgust for the character, you don't have a good reason against Geno, you just don't like him cause you can't prove his supporters wrong.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Then you're an imbecile fool. If you don't like a character you don't go around screaming that you don't like it.
Why because I'll get gunned down by gangsters? Please.

Character Bashing often leads to flame wars in case you didn't know that and your comparison to puppetmon was irrelevant to show your disgust for the character, you don't have a good reason against Geno, you just don't like him cause you can't prove his supporters wrong.
I did know that, but the flame wars should never involve those who never bashed said character. Thats exactly what was about to happen too and for that I am sorry that Geno fans were too ignorant to know who was against their character. I overestimated their intelligence. BTW, my post did have some degree of relevance. "Ashley for Brawl". =o)

My reasons for not liking Geno are based on personal preference. If you like him thats cool, but don't assume I don't like him for his chances of getting in the game.

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
But... dude... it's right...
If there's someone that's a better representative, that IS a reason to the other char not be in...

Zoolander

Smash Journeyman
See this is actually a simple arguement that we're taking way out of hand.

"The ______ Support Thread"

It's called a SUPPORT THREAD. Not a "***** about this character here" thread. Only newbs make threads like "DOOD GENO SUXZ". "Support" apparently means "Debate" now, as that's ALL that's going on in those threads now, every so often I see a moveset or a drawing or signiture featuring the character.

Also, (pure example and not used to mean anything) lets say the Geno thread starts talking about how sucky Ridley's chances are. IT'S NOT EVEN RELATED TO GENO! COME ON! Even "Geno has much better chances than Ridley" shouldn't even be permitted, as that starts a debate which will always end the same way: no winner and endless hatred.

So I say we start ONLY supporting characters and having DEBATE threads for those kinds of things.

My two cents.

vesperview

Smash Hero
I did know that, but the flame wars should never involve those who never bashed said character. Thats exactly what was about to happen too and for that I am sorry that Geno fans were too ignorant to know who was against their character. I overestimated their intelligence. BTW, my post did have some degree of relevance. "Ashley for Brawl". =o)
And so you take a last breath and deliver your last troll remark... They are too ignorant? geez you're the one going there bashing them for supporting the character, if your dislike for him is only based on opinion and preference, excuse me, but you have absolutely no business there.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
And so you take a last breath and deliver your last troll remark... They are too ignorant? geez you're the one going there bashing them for supporting the character, if your dislike for him is only based on opinion and preference, excuse me, but you have absolutely no business there.
I'm not bashing them for supporting their character, I'm bashing them for the way they generally treat those with different opinions and those who support a less popular character. Its not Geno that makes the Geno Alliance suck its the people that make up the Alliance.

BTW I have every right to express my opinion on a character and I do have business doing so wherever I please. Granted, any thread other than the Geno thread is a bad place to do it in (for obvious reasons), so I'll be sure to keep my remarks in the official Geno thread where they belong.

vesperview

Smash Hero
I'm not bashing them for supporting their character
Yes you are.

I'm bashing them for the way they generally treat those with different opinions and those who support a less popular character. Its not Geno that makes the Geno Alliance suck its the people that make up the Alliance.
Just because someone goes into the Geno thread and just says "Geno sucks, he shouldn't be in Brawl" doesn't mean they should take it lightly.

BTW I have every right to express my opinion on a character and I do have business doing so wherever I please. Granted, any thread other than the Geno thread is a bad place to do it in (for obvious reasons), so I'll be sure to keep my remarks in the official Geno thread where they belong.
Just because you have rights doesn't mean you should use them, specially, when you're using them for something without no basis, period.

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
"You shouldn't have to compare a Krystal with a Wolf. For all we know they both get included."

i disagree here, wolf and Krystal are from the same series, while they can both get in, it is far more likely that only one of the 2 would.
(as an example, this is not my thoughts on wolf or krystal)
since krystal is the obvious choice over wolf, and given starfox's decreased sales there is likely only 1 more slot for them, and fox's alt costume as wolf and krystals unique move set makes him unlikely to be the one to take the slot.
(again, these are just arguments i have seen, i know there are arguments for wolf too)

comparing them makes sense, just as slippy wont make it coz the other characters in his series are better choices, not because he is a bad choice.

though i do 100% agree that comparing something like ridley and krystal is just stupid and irrelevant, same series characters that's series are already populated in brawl are however often relevant.

last point: there is still no reason to troll their support threads, as the content of this forum isn't going to change anything, they arn't hurting anyone, as long as their character has a chance, they should be allowed to support them.

so, while it's ok to bring it up if relevant, don't spam their threads with it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm not bashing them for supporting their character, I'm bashing them for the way they generally treat those with different opinions and those who support a less popular character. Its not Geno that makes the Geno Alliance suck its the people that make up the Alliance.
What's wrong with the people that make up the alliance? Is it because they don't prefer Paper Mario or Bowser Jr? Is it because they can actually form lengthy and logical arguements to defend such an obscure character? Is it because it's actually stretched over several web forums? Is it because they don't just roll over when people tell them that Geno is a God Awful idea (which you've done, by the way) and have actually converted a large number of people from doing so? Is it because, from what I've seen this past year and a half, that they are one of the most dedicated groups of character supporters on the net?

Also, if you're complaining because you've scrapped elbows with people during debates then you probably shouldn't even be on a web forum at all. Web forums are about the free exchange of ideas and, naturally, not everyone is going to agree on everything. Personally, I'd rather be in a forum that's constantly in debates instead of one where people believe the ideal of complete political correctness is a reality and thus just keep their mouths shut because that shows that there's people actually thinking about their choices and actually expressing their opinions.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord

Jerry Seinfeld would never be in Brawl. *Puts up ~Krystal~ Shielf*

By the way, people are always limited free speech unless you're talking to them in the neighborhood or via IM. School, Family Friendly Forums, in presence of children, the list just goes on.

You are definately trippin'. I mean, I say Geno is a better choice, and I don't even compare them. I question why people feel Ashley should be in Brawl.

You actually grow enough balls and compare him to.. a puppetmon(?) and tell the Geno fanbase to (go to hell).

All you're doing is finding reasons to bash Geno and people.

Gamer2774

Smash Cadet
ok well this thread is waaaaay of topic but anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing geno in SSBB granted I don't know much about him since my memory of the Mairo RPG is a bit foggy

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
What's wrong with the people that make up the alliance? Is it because they don't prefer Paper Mario or Bowser Jr? Is it because they can actually form lengthy and logical arguements to defend such an obscure character? Is it because it's actually stretched over several web forums? Is it because they don't just roll over when people tell them that Geno is a God Awful idea (which you've done, by the way) and have actually converted a large number of people from doing so? Is it because, from what I've seen this past year and a half, that they are one of the most dedicated groups of character supporters on the net?
I have no issues with the arguments you or the rest of the GA make (the reasonable ones anyway) or the possibility some of you might not prefer Paper Mario or Bowser Jr. The board would be a boring place if everyone wanted the same people in. As for the Geno Alliance being stretched across several forums, thats another thing I don't have a problem with. I actually think its impressive that a character like Geno amassed this sort of net following. I also never said Geno was a god awful idea. IMO, he wouldn't be the most interesting option, but then, the same can be said of many good characters.

Also, if you're complaining because you've scrapped elbows with people during debates then you probably shouldn't even be on a web forum at all. Web forums are about the free exchange of ideas and, naturally, not everyone is going to agree on everything. Personally, I'd rather be in a forum that's constantly in debates instead of one where people believe the ideal of complete political correctness is a reality and thus just keep their mouths shut because that shows that there's people actually thinking about their choices and actually expressing their opinions.
I'm also not complaining about getting my lumps in debates. Thats the whole reason I even get into a debate, to know the reason why someone likes so and so and to get a reasonable perspective or to get corrected on something I was wrong about. I could even tolerate flame wars, but I don't really like those kinds of encounters (contrary to popular belief). Web forums are indeed about the free exchange of ideas and of course not everyone is going to agree on everything. That said, no ideas are going to be exchanged when people have made up their minds about a character proclaiming they have exactly no chance of getting in. Maybe someone can convince those types of people, but its usually in vain and its usually not a very productive debate.

Jerry Seinfeld would never be in Brawl. *Puts up ~Krystal~ Shielf*
Come now, you know full well Ashley actually has a chance to get in the game in some way. Unlike Jerry, who would price himself out and not even fit in the game to begin with. (As you already know)

By the way, people are always limited free speech unless you're talking to them in the neighborhood or via IM. School, Family Friendly Forums, in presence of children, the list just goes on.
Last I checked, expressing dislike for Geno didn't get you put behind bars. It wouldn't here and it wouldn't in the real world, but I will agree that there is a time and a place for that sort of behavior. It seems I chose the wrong place and the wrong time. I say this because a thread nearly devolved into a needless flame war that would have not only gotten the thread off topic, but possibly deleted as well.

You are definately trippin'. I mean, I say Geno is a better choice, and I don't even compare them. I question why people feel Ashley should be in Brawl.
Yeah you didn't compare Geno to Ashley, because you never even gave Ashley a chance of getting in. When you say someone definitely isn't getting in, that means they have 0% chance (like Jerry) and we all know every video game character out there has some chance.

You actually grow enough balls and compare him to.. a puppetmon(?) and tell the Geno fanbase to (go to hell).
Yes I had the guts to compare him to puppetmon. It made for an ok amount of lulz, but it almost turned into a flame war and knowing it would definitely turn into a flame war because of that, I wouldn't have had the guts to do it. As for telling the Geno Alliance to go to hell, it was a spur of the moment comment that I wish I could take back. I really only wanted some Geno Alliance guys to go to hell, not all.

All you're doing is finding reasons to bash Geno and people.
Why would I go through the trouble of finding reasons to bash Geno when I could simply make a thread with reasons why he won't be in Brawl and reasons why I think he sucks (as if that mattered). If a Geno fan such as yourself goes into a thread and tells supporters their character has 0% chance, then of course I am going to take offense to that and respond in a way you (or any other Geno fan) would not like, because that puppetmon picture represents every ridicule ever thrown at an Ashley supporter for caring about the character just because they thought she had a chance to get in or because they just flat out liked her. There are several people on this board who are guilty of completely downplaying Ashley's chances when they know full well they are above 0%.

I guess you could say I got tired of seeing the same narrow minded argument and decided to respond in a way that was less than civil. So instead of saying why I favored Ashley over Geno, I posted a crude picture of a demented puppet instead (albeit a very awesome one) which was clearly not a fair representation of Geno's appearance, but purposefully so as to express how I felt that 0% chance was not a fair representation of Ashley's chances.

I should have just flat out said it instead and saved everyone the trouble of enduring this drama filled High School musical from hell.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
.....Your whole reason for this beef is that I "made it seem like Ashley has no chance"? I clearly asked why everyone likes Ashley. Everyone's having a date with Miss. Communication.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Comparing Geno to Ashley is ridiculous, they're not even from the same game and even the same franchise.
Not the point of the post.

Next time just type tl/dr.

I won't get angry.

.....Your whole reason for this beef is that I "made it seem like Ashley has no chance"? I clearly asked why everyone likes Ashley. Everyone's having a date with Miss. Communication.
If you truly didn't mean that Ashley has no chance then my apologies. Your post was just worded in a way that said otherwise.

Top Bottom