• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ideal "4.0"

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
I can't quite think of anything I'd give Sonic right off the bat that wouldn't break him beyond 2.5, or overhaul him to the extreme. However, if I could make one more aesthetic change.....can we PLEASE change his down be to resemble the Super Peel-Out? I feel that no matter which way you cut it, his spin animations are overused. Adding that visual differential to a move so commonly used would just be beautiful eye-candy.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Like I said, it was early. Kickstarts, Pizza, and between 4-5 a.m. with no sleep on a bad day. Yuck.
The reason I asked is because that is actually quite a strange team. I like the Thormammu, but Skrull sounds like he would be sour note on that team. Not that you couldn't make it work. I'm still building up on my team as it stands. I run Spider-Man, Hsien-Ko, and third is up in the air between Zero, Trish, Hawkeye, Vergil, Felicia, Amaterasu, or X-23.
It's no big. I've gotten FAR worse than that in lesser conditions.

Anyway, most people are skeptical with good reason to be about what he adds.
He adds about 200K to Dormammu and Thor's 1 meter BnBs, LOL Stone Smite is amazing for this team.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I can't quite think of anything I'd give Sonic right off the bat that wouldn't break him beyond 2.5, or overhaul him to the extreme. However, if I could make one more aesthetic change.....can we PLEASE change his down be to resemble the Super Peel-Out? I feel that no matter which way you cut it, his spin animations are overused. Adding that visual differential to a move so commonly used would just be beautiful eye-candy.
To be honest, Sonic's run animation already resembles the peel out. Plus it flat out feels wrong to remove Sonic's series staple. Remove whatever spin animation, but leave Spindash alone.

It's no big. I've gotten FAR worse than that in lesser conditions.

Anyway, most people are skeptical with good reason to be about what he adds.
He adds about 200K to Dormammu and Thor's 1 meter BnBs, LOL Stone Smite is amazing for this team.
Yikes. To be honest, I don't know how much damage I can do with my Spider-Man teams. I've been struggling to find that character I both like, and can string assist combos with. Haven't really had time to figure it out.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Perhaps there could be an animation change to Side B? It's really not worthy of being considered a spin dash of any sort, and a new fresh animation to slide into the kick command would be nice IMO.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Perhaps there could be an animation change to Side B? It's really not worthy of being considered a spin dash of any sort, and a new fresh animation to slide into the kick command would be nice IMO.
If you've ever played Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Rush, or Rush Adventure, there is a trick Sonic can do where he propels himself forward if he bounces off a spring or runs off a ramp. This could be the said animation for his Side-B.

Or a completely new move so that his gameplay wouldn't feel so stiff.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
New Casual Stages for god's sake!
I could actually get behind this. I played on some of the page 2 stages yesterday and had a ****ing good time. I was laughing my ass of playing on Jungle Japes, Pirate Ship, Rainbow Cruise, Pictochat, etc. Some of the stages could be changed/removed though. Saffron City without the pokemon is pretty stale, so I wouldn't mind if it got replaced. Some other stages could get some fixes here and there.

As for the ideal 4.0, I only have one wish. Fix the ****ing camera on Halberd and PS1, that thing zooms out like crazy for no reason!

Hahaae

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hahaae
I doubt my ideas would be of any relevance, but here goes:

- Bring back light shielding
- 1 frame of invincibility on spacies' shines (it's not like shines were THAT bad in Melee)
- Young Link back as a reskin of Link, but with his Melee moves (much like Dr. Mario)
- Pichu
- No lag on any stages / costumes, etc.
- Make Jigglypuff/Ganon more viable. They don't fare so well against the newcomers.
- Maybe a slight speed boost for Falcon? Maybe it's just me, but it feels like his speed isn't the same as in Melee.
- Bring back glide for MK, but make it so if someone tries to reverse up B out of a glide to grab a ledge, it won't grab (Like, if they try to stall by flying under the stage then reverse up B)

As for new characters, I don't really care about them and I feel they're a bit dumb/silly. But if I had to choose, I'd say just pick and choose from the Smash 4 newcomers. That way P:M can sort of be like what SSBB and SSB4 should have been (SSB4 won't be another Melee, let's be honest).

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
I doubt my ideas would be of any relevance, but here goes:

- Bring back light shielding
- 1 frame of invincibility on spacies' shines (it's not like shines were THAT bad in Melee)
- Young Link back as a reskin of Link, but with his Melee moves (much like Dr. Mario)
- Pichu
- No lag on any stages / costumes, etc.
- Make Jigglypuff/Ganon more viable. They don't fare so well against the newcomers.
- Maybe a slight speed boost for Falcon? Maybe it's just me, but it feels like his speed isn't the same as in Melee.
- Bring back glide for MK, but make it so if someone tries to reverse up B out of a glide to grab a ledge, it won't grab (Like, if they try to stall by flying under the stage then reverse up B)

As for new characters, I don't really care about them and I feel they're a bit dumb/silly. But if I had to choose, I'd say just pick and choose from the Smash 4 newcomers. That way P:M can sort of be like what SSBB and SSB4 should have been (SSB4 won't be another Melee, let's be honest).
- they're working on it
-

- this one's fair nough really. but what about it would change him "back to melee"? i mean they both have fire arrows
- this has been asked for before, multiple times, like, you don't understand how much this is actually asked for
- this has also been in discussion, more so jiggs for just refining her janky play, and gannon for the most part is agreed he can use something small, like a frame of armor or so on one moves to make approaching more managable.
- can't say much on this one other than they copied the stats exactly, and captain was a direct import from melee to brawl anyways, what changed was the engine. I think what happened is the amount of faster viable characters increased.
- and he already does glide, but if this was implimented his recovery would be neutered. as odd as that sounds, trust me. trust me

and for finality, this can't be done and it's been said that it can't be done. namely because they don't want to create competition with the new smash 4 and be as curteous as possible to nintendo. there is ZERO chance of smash 4 characters making it in. and finally, no one expects it too, but we're looking forward to it (and by we i mean me)

Hahaae

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hahaae
- they're working on it
-

- this one's fair nough really. but what about it would change him "back to melee"? i mean they both have fire arrows
- this has been asked for before, multiple times, like, you don't understand how much this is actually asked for
- this has also been in discussion, more so jiggs for just refining her janky play, and gannon for the most part is agreed he can use something small, like a frame of armor or so on one moves to make approaching more managable.
- can't say much on this one other than they copied the stats exactly, and captain was a direct import from melee to brawl anyways, what changed was the engine. I think what happened is the amount of faster viable characters increased.
- and he already does glide, but if this was implimented his recovery would be neutered. as odd as that sounds, trust me. trust me

and for finality, this can't be done and it's been said that it can't be done. namely because they don't want to create competition with the new smash 4 and be as curteous as possible to nintendo. there is ZERO chance of smash 4 characters making it in. and finally, no one expects it too, but we're looking forward to it (and by we i mean me)
- Ah, hope they manage to get it back in then.
- I mean, IMO spacie shining wasn't too ridiculous in SSBM. For most players, trying to apply heavy pressure with shines is an easy way to SD / make a tech error and get punished. It really hinders approach options in P:M, and the character roster has improved to the extent where the spacies are already weakened a bit.
- IIRC, there was a slight difference between Young Link and Link in Melee, right? Just apply those to P:M.
- Yeah, a frame or so of armour on Ganon would be nice for approaching. Something I noticed in Melee as opposed to P:M is that it feels like Puff's aerial mobility is better in Melee (again, maybe this is just in my head like the Falcon speed thing). Melee characters in general just feel more slippery and easy to use / follow up with, if that makes sense.
- Metaknight can glide without the use of up B? I'm referring to holding down the jump button to go into a glide like in SSBB. The scenario I illustrated would be like, you can glide on to the stage to grab the ledge via gliding or up B. But not glide out jump under the map -> reverse shuttle loop to glide to ledge. To prevent severe stalling. Like, you could still glide after gliding -> up B, but not grab ledge after gliding twice.

Last edited:

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
- Ah, hope they manage to get it back in then.
- I mean, IMO spacie shining wasn't too ridiculous in SSBM. For most players, trying to apply heavy pressure with shines is an easy way to SD / make a tech error and get punished. It really hinders approach options in P:M, and the character roster has improved to the extent where the spacies are already weakened a bit.
- IIRC, there was a slight difference between Young Link and Link in Melee, right? Just apply those to P:M.
- Yeah, a frame or so of armour on Ganon would be nice for approaching. Something I noticed in Melee as opposed to P:M is that it feels like Puff's aerial mobility is better in Melee (again, maybe this is just in my head like the Falcon speed thing). Melee characters in general just feel more slippery and easy to use / follow up with, if that makes sense.
- Metaknight can glide without the use of up B? I'm referring to holding down the jump button to go into a glide like in SSBB. The scenario I illustrated would be like, you can glide on to the stage to grab the ledge via gliding or up B. But not glide out jump under the map -> reverse shuttle loop to glide to ledge. To prevent severe stalling. Like, you could still glide after gliding -> up B, but not grab ledge after gliding twice.
-here's the thing though. It comes out and hits on frame 1, no attack is faster or versatile in the game. adding invincibility to it so it doesn't get punished if even possible (remember it's still deadly fast) is pretty damn stupid. but, yes they are slightly weakend. but still top tier, it's okay for spacies to have bad match ups, since this is in fact a brand new game. on that note as well, check this http://smashboards.com/threads/tier-list-speculation.331666/page-199#post-16195697
- Iaaah ok I gotcha then.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
Zero Suit really needs some buffs
  1. With her Fair, the 2nd kick has a really hard time connecting after like, 50%. Also, I feel that it should have a tad bit more knock-back...
  2. A slightly bigger hitbox for her Dair is needed. It just kinda feels awkward to land.
  3. If you're gonna keep her grab as a tether (which is still highly punishable) then let he recover with Zair after an air dodge just like Link and Samus.
  4. Down Smash start-ups frames should be reduced by 1-2 frames.
  5. Her Dash attack is virtually useless now. It doesn't combo into Up-Tilt like it did in vBrawl, or anything else for that matter. The knockback needs to be greatly reduced and the angle needs to be diagonal.
  6. Her Uair actually seems weaker than it was in Brawl, it's not a viable kill option at all unless you're at a low-ceiling stage. Buff, or maybe give tipper?
6. I would LOVE for her vBrawl Down-B to return. Or let us cancel her flip at any time into a Uair, Bair, Fair, Side-B, or Up-B. Dair can still be the divekick, and if you press Down-B again I want her vBrawl meteor smash sex-kick back. Honestly, nobody really uses her current Down-B, except for recoveries. Problem is, you can't act of it until you're at the apex of the flip, so it's too readable for opponents and limits how quickly you can act. And again, Down-B after already flipping should be her old sex kick.

ZSS is a great character concept-wise but she just has too many obvious flaws and disadvantages compared to the rest of the roster IMO (her moves are extremely easy to DI out of, and you can even mash out of her paralysis.) I also feel that Jigglypuff needs to receive some knock-back buffs overall, and I don't even play her.

Last edited:

Saproling

Smash Journeyman
Things I'd like to see:

• The ability to C - Stick buffer AND play on WiFi without having to switch anything. I'd like to be able to use Ganon's Dair without having ANY landing lag.
  • Pichu added, with a unique moveset. He can keep his lame damage trait if they give him a good grab/combo game to make up for it. Basically, he needs to be roughly even to Pikachu, instead of it being very clear who the superior "chu" is
  • Snake to be given two grenades again. I like the shorter fuse, but that doesn't make up for one grenade if you ask me.
  • This one will sound shaky, but the addition of Assist Trophy characters such as Waluigi that have mostly sufficient data for a hack.
  • ALL levels, from ALL three games, with the ability to turn the stage hazards on or off.
  • Basic Project M. I know it'll likely never happen, and everyone but me seems to hate BB, but I think that since only the more dedicated smash players bother to download/install PM, you'll have far less taunt partiers, and the like. It'll be quick and easy to get a match, one on one, or FFA.
  • Custom costumes for EVERY character, and at least two for each. I'd also like Melee counterparts to the characters that changed like Ganon
  • Final Smashes for the Pokemon who have none.
  • Adventure Mode from Melee (A HUGE part of the nostalgia I got from Melee that went missing in PM)
  • Certain characters buffed or further luigified in order to make them more unique. For example, making Roy's Dair have less landing lag than even Marth's, in order to help make him on par with Marth, instead of Marth always dominating Roy, (Not sure if that's the case in PM, but he was higher on the tier list by far in Melee) and giving a few more original moves to clones/ semi clones like Ganon, Falco, Roy, so on so forth.
Instead of Pichu I would enjoy seeing Plusle&Minun.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
Zero Suit really needs some buffs
  1. With her Fair, the 2nd kick has a really hard time connecting after like, 50%. Also, I feel that it should have a tad bit more knock-back...
  2. A slightly bigger hitbox for her Dair is needed. It just kinda feels awkward to land.
  3. If you're gonna keep her grab as a tether (which is still highly punishable) then let he recover with Zair after an air dodge just like Link and Samus.
  4. Down Smash start-ups frames should be reduced by 1-2 frames.
  5. Her Dash attack is virtually useless now. It doesn't combo into Up-Tilt like it did in vBrawl, or anything else for that matter. The knockback needs to be greatly reduced and the angle needs to be diagonal.
  6. Her Uair actually seems weaker than it was in Brawl, it's not a viable kill option at all unless you're at a low-ceiling stage. Buff, or maybe give tipper?
6. I would LOVE for her vBrawl Down-B to return. Or let us cancel her flip at any time into a Uair, Bair, Fair, Side-B, or Up-B. Dair can still be the divekick, and if you press Down-B again I want her vBrawl meteor smash sex-kick back. Honestly, nobody really uses her current Down-B, except for recoveries. Problem is, you can't act of it until you're at the apex of the flip, so it's too readable for opponents and limits how quickly you can act. And again, Down-B after already flipping should be her old sex kick.

ZSS is a great character concept-wise but she just has too many obvious flaws and disadvantages compared to the rest of the roster IMO (her moves are extremely easy to DI out of, and you can even mash out of her paralysis.) I also feel that Jigglypuff needs to receive some knock-back buffs overall, and I don't even play her.
second verse, same as the first.
1. as someone who's picked her up, I can hardly say I can know the ins and outs of her (but don't we all wish that amirite?) like I do my actual main, but i do indeed have trouble landing the second kick, the problem is the second kick doesn't come out fast enough, if it did it'd be a great combo tool. other than that. it's knock back is fine, as it's one of her few, albeit hard to land kill moves (bair is the much more reliable kill move)
2. this one I haven't played with enough to really know but the hit box doesn't really through me off. being used to a hitbox that stays out for eons from Dair always screws me.
3. she already has two other ways to recover with tether, having this would be a bit redundant. but I can't say giving her the mobility and quick spacing a zair usually entails is a bad thing. other than that. while it is probably the most punishable grab in the game. the actual grab hitbox is out forever letting you get grabs off ridiculous timings on tech chases.
4. this, I can get behind
5. and as for this, I wouldn't call it useless, situational perhaps, but if you'd like to see a truly useless move see sheik's side B. her dash attack is just a standard running "go away, in the direction I'm hitting you" move.
6. and Uair doesn't need to really be a kill option when it's her best combo tool from what I've used so far, I can land four to five of them in a row and I'm not even a pro. It's ridiculous.

6 electric boogaloo. Her down B used to have a great use when it had invincibility frames but even now it's fine as is, the dive kick allows a quick return to the stage, and the current jump is very helpful in her otherwise nonexistent horizontal recovery. keep in mind every character has flaws, while her's may be obvious, this doesn't make her horrible spacies are obviously screwed as soon as you get them past the ledge, and look at where they place on the tier list. not everyone needs a mewtwo tier recovery. not to say buffs wouldn't be welcome but she isn't really high on the list of those who need it.

LevelZeroToInfinity

Smash Rookie
Instead of Pichu I would enjoy seeing Plusle&Minun.
The major issue with this is creating the new character from scratch. I don't know about the programming towards the Ice Climbers, but remodeling their skins and probably new animations to fit the new characters would take a ton of work. There also isn't a lot of hype garnered for this idea, and mainly what would they even do? A Pikachu/Pichu clone but just doubled? That would be ridiculous.

I'm not completely against the idea, I just definitely don't see it happening. But, who knows? Maybe they've got a lot of ideas in there head than I do.

However, I'd prefer Pichu (obviously). :pichumelee:

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
Pichu for Project M 3.5/4.0

He's a veteran, it just feels wrong.
They already have a joke character (Sopo) and if you make Pichu legit he would be the most annoying thing ever which we don't need when we already have spacies, Squirtle, Mario's Fireballs, and Sonic.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Oh, and I also vote for Squirtle to be utterly removed from the game :)
Is that my cue?....

Great idea. While we are at it, lets remove DK, Diddy, Bowser, Yoshi, Fox, Falco, Wolf, King Dedede, and all the Pokemon. That should rid us of the furries.

Oh, and lets not forget the anime stereotypes, Marth, Roy, Ike, Pit, Captain Falcon, Samus, ZSS, Snake, Link, Ganondorf, Zelda, and Sheik.

Ahh, but that leaves us with the cartoon type characters. Better ditch Mario, Luigi, Wario, Peach, Kirby, Meta Knight, Ice Climbers, Toon Link, Olimar, Mr.G&W, Ness, and Lucas.

Man, what a clean roster. Now everyone can play as their favorite character. R.O.B.

Last edited:

Saproling

Smash Journeyman
The major issue with this is creating the new character from scratch. I don't know about the programming towards the Ice Climbers, but remodeling their skins and probably new animations to fit the new characters would take a ton of work. There also isn't a lot of hype garnered for this idea, and mainly what would they even do? A Pikachu/Pichu clone but just doubled? That would be ridiculous.

I'm not completely against the idea, I just definitely don't see it happening. But, who knows? Maybe they've got a lot of ideas in there head than I do.

However, I'd prefer Pichu (obviously). :pichumelee:
I am aware yet I will still always want to see it be a thing.I could come up with some ideas off the top of my head but thats hardly saying anything worth while.

ViewtifulHoe242

Smash Journeyman
this is non pro play related but whats with the retardedly long windup on the homerun bat swing?!
that makes it near worthless when your screwing around with friends now ("with items?" *gasp* "the sacriledge!") as opposed to melee, where you could easily kill anyone who made a recovery/input mistake.
can the windup animation be cut/ or just match melee

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I agree with you, but didn't that originate in Brawl? I remember there were some characters who took forever to swing the bat

Endeby

Smash Cadet
NNID
Endeby
Just going to echo everyone who hope for a PAL version. PM will never take off as something more than a side event to Melee/Brawl in Europe, until that happens. I'm afraid the hype will be gone if we don't see it before Smash 4.

I would also like a wavedash mechanic closer to Melee. As it stands now, wavedashing out of shield is harder than it should be.

tan(90

Smash Apprentice
An actual physical disc to buy project m (for wii and wii u). Theres already box art. Sadly, this is not likely since it would need Nintendo's permission and from what i've seen, Nintendo doesn't like Project M, for example, you can't mention "Project Melee" or "Project M" on miiverse

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
My ideal Project M 4.0 should have the following characters:
Ghirahim
Pokemon Trainer/Red/Glitchy Red
Pichu
Zoroark
Simon Belmont
Vega
Ryu
M. Bison

That is all.

Gallo69

Smash Apprentice
Give DDD a way to store gordos akin to Luigi storing misfires. Make Ganon not garbagio. For Metaknight, Mario, and Luigi's tornadoes; trash the mashing mechanic in favor of holding the B button and inputting directions.

Nerf ALL tether recoveries. Nerf the recoveries of Mario, Diddy, ICs (side b with both climbers), Mewtwo, Squirtle, and Sonic. I would nerf others too but those are probably the most extreme when it comes to being a nightmare to edgeguard - without bringing up the multi-jumpers.

I'm usually not for changes, but I think a large global recovery nerf would provide a more enjoyable experience to the majority of people that play the game competitively. Also, this is coming from a Mario player, so it's not biased salt or anything.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I'm changing my ideal 4.0 ideas with characters: Add Leon S. Kennedy, Vega and re-introduce Trainer Red (Pokemon Trainer). It sets down a shorter list with a better chance of characters. Vega and Red can be stand-alone characters, whereas Leon could either be a character or a skin of Snake.

Last edited:

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
Give DDD a way to store gordos akin to Luigi storing misfires. Make Ganon not garbagio. For Metaknight, Mario, and Luigi's tornadoes; trash the mashing mechanic in favor of holding the B button and inputting directions.

Nerf ALL tether recoveries. Nerf the recoveries of Mario, Diddy, ICs (side b with both climbers), Mewtwo, Squirtle, and Sonic. I would nerf others too but those are probably the most extreme when it comes to being a nightmare to edgeguard - without bringing up the multi-jumpers.

I'm usually not for changes, but I think a large global recovery nerf would provide a more enjoyable experience to the majority of people that play the game competitively. Also, this is coming from a Mario player, so it's not biased salt or anything.
ok, storing the gordos is one of the most ingenious ideas i've heard all day. and two. that's kind of your own opinion. I'm alright with some of the recoveries being as they are. (except diddy's, those rockets are bonkers) but having characters with good recoveries isn't bad. it's not like any of those characters have an on stage presence like spacies do. plus, squirtle? i mean really? what about his recovery deserves to be nerfed?

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I'm changing my ideal 4.0 ideas with characters: Add Leon S. Kennedy, Vega and re-introduce Trainer Red (Pokemon Trainer). It sets down a shorter list with a better chance of characters. Vega and Red can be stand-alone characters, whereas Leon could either be a character or a skin of Snake.
Leon and Vega aren't eligible because they aren't already in Brawl as a trophy or sticker. Check the main Project M site and look for the clone engine post for more details

Last edited:

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
I've been putting off making a post here for awhile, so here goes.

As far as new characters go, I'm still expecting them to be from the ones Pat Cashman did. From those I'd love to see Ridley, Isaac, King K. Rool and Bowser Jr. That just leaves room for one more, so however they want to get an announcer voice for Pichu :p

I'd love to see tons of new, clever alt costumes as well.

As far as gameplay goes I'll leave my thoughts for another post, but "ideally" I'd have the time to help out with development too, haha.

Top Bottom