• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 'I was wrong' thread.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Tell us the obviously wrong reason you thought Mac couldn't be in.

I honestly believed Mac didn't have a chance because of the stage. Stupid trolling Sakurai.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It was obvious from day one it was the Punch-Out!! stage.. Remember, Sakurai said what you see in the pictures don't mean they are gonna be in the final game... case in point, the Capsule item got a makeover even though they showed Villager picking up the Brawl-style Capsule item.

I thought the Villager's boxing gloves might have been them showing that they tried, but couldn't pull it off. They gave Villager his gloves like they did with the Balloon Fighter's Balloons. But I didn't think he was actually out, it was more rationalizing why the Villager had boxing gloves.

But really, why the heck does Villager have boxing gloves?

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It was obvious from day one it was the Punch-Out!! stage.. Remember, Sakurai said what you see in the pictures don't mean they are gonna be in the final game... case in point, the Capsule item got a makeover even though they showed Villager picking up the Brawl-style Capsule item.
Dang Sakurai playing this like a sneaky lawyer. I'm pretty sure we'll get both versions though, it'd be a waste to scrap the smash circuit.

I thought the Villager's boxing gloves might have been them showing that they tried, but couldn't pull it off so they gave Villager his gloves like they did with the Balloon Fighter's Balloons. But I didn't think he was actually out, it was more rationalizing why the Villager had boxing gloves.

The same reason he has a bowling ball: To represent his connection to Wii Sports. The AC team is the same as the Wii X team. Which is why I believe Miis aren't going to get in.

Watch Sakurai prove me wrong.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I always figured it was to add a bit of levity to Villager's basic A attack. I mean, an Animal Crossing character straight-up punching someone in the face bare fisted doesn't really strike me as in tune with the series. Giving him a giant boxing glove makes it a little more comical.

D

Deleted member

I always figured it was to add a bit of levity to Villager's basic A attack. I mean, an Animal Crossing character straight-up punching someone in the face bare fisted doesn't really strike me as in tune with the series. Giving him a giant boxing glove makes it a little more comical.
This is pretty much how I see it.

D

Deleted member

Doesn't my idea wrap up more loose ends and disconfirm Mii?
Seriously, otherwise the bowling ball is just a random piece of furniture. And the only random piece of furniture.
....no. It doesn't.
Sakurai already had an idea how Villager would fight long before Miis debuted.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
....no. It doesn't.
Sakurai already had an idea how Villager would fight long before Miis debuted.
Uh, what? He saw him unfit for Smash until the fans requested him after being told he doesn't fit after Brawl came out. And Brawl didn't even get started until long after the Wii came out, right?

And to add, he only had an idea. He probably didn't come up with the dsmash until 4.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Uh, what? He saw them unfit for Smash until the fans requested him after being told he doesn't fit after Brawl came out. And Brawl didn't even get started until long after the Wii came out, right?
If you had done your homework, you would know that Sakurai actually had ideas for Villager before he decided he didn't fit Brawl's violent theme.
And you would also know that Brawl started development in 2005, while the Wii came out in late 2006.

AND, you would also know that Animal Crossing does feature bowling balls, rendering the original point moot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Speculator

Smash Ace
Doesn't my idea wrap up more loose ends and disconfirm Mii?
Seriously, otherwise the bowling ball is just a random piece of furniture. And the only random piece of furniture.
I don't think so. The Villager has no connection to Wii Sports, and there's no reason why he should. The bowling ball is pretty much a part of the "Animal Crossing is about collecting" motif behind Villager's playstyle. Either way, it still wouldn't deconfirm Miis in the same way Villager's boxing glove didn't deconfirm Little Mac. Miis go way beyond just bowling balls. In fact, they go way beyond just Wii Sports altogether.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If you had done your homework, you would know that Sakurai actually had ideas for Villager before he decided he didn't fit Brawl's violent theme.
And you would also know that Brawl started development in 2005, while the Wii came out in late 2006.

AND, you would also know that Animal Crossing does feature bowling balls, rendering the original point moot.
Point one is covered by my edit, and I'll admit I remembered wrong.

But the bowling ball is fairly specific, don't you think? And I don't think there's even a Boxing glove item in AC. They could of came up with something from AC if that is the case.

I don't think so. The Villager has no connection to Wii Sports, and there's no reason why he should. The bowling ball is pretty much a part of the "Animal Crossing is about collecting" motif behind Villager's playstyle. Either way, it still wouldn't deconfirm Miis in the same way Villager's boxing glove didn't deconfirm Little Mac. Miis go way beyond just bowling balls. In fact, they go way beyond just Wii Sports altogether.
He does, the AC dev team and Wii whatever team are one and the same. It's an easter egg for those that do the research. Why does Kirby turn into a Thwomp, a Panel de Pon block, and a weight? Easter eggs. Heck, GaW is a giant easter egg of sorts.

Come into the Little Mac forum, discuss Villager all day lol.

Speculator

Smash Ace
He does, the AC dev team and Wii whatever team are one and the same. It's an easter egg for those that do the research. Why does Kirby turn into a Thwomp, a Panel de Pon block, and a weight? Easter eggs. Heck, GaW is a giant easter egg of sorts.
That isn't a connection. Certainly not from a universe perspective. That's like drawing a connection between Mario and Mole Mania because they were concieved by the same guy. Easter eggs are one thing, but a hoarder character from a game series that has bowling balls having a bowling ball is quite another. I think calling it a Wii Sports reference is reading into something that isn't there.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
That isn't a connection. Certainly not from a universe perspective. That's like drawing a connection between Mario and Mole Mania because they were concieved by the same guy. Easter eggs are one thing, but a hoarder character from a game series that has bowling balls having a bowling ball is quite another. I think calling it a Wii Sports reference is reading into something that isn't there.
But Villager and Mii are similar in many ways, including their creator. (Right?) It would of made more sense if the bowling ball was a more common item, like a bed or a bag of bells, and the gloves were a shovel or axe. Two items that are related to another series creator worked on is a pretty big coincidence, don't you think?

D

Deleted member

But the bowling ball is fairly specific, don't you think? And I don't think there's even a Boxing glove item in AC. They could of came up with something from AC if that is the case.
Two words: Ball Return

Also, Punch-Out was a NES title you could play in the original Animal Crossing; it's more likely that the boxing gloves, like Balloon Fighter's helmet, are a reference to the NES games as opposed to Wii Sports.

Last edited by a moderator:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Two words: Ball Return

Also, Punch-Out was a NES title you could play in the original Animal Crossing; it's more likely that the boxing gloves, like Balloon Fighter's helmet, is a reference to the NES games as opposed to Wii Sports.
Uh, I never denied that there were bowling balls. And the NES games thing doesn't explain the bowling ball, and my idea doesn't explain the balloons, but that's more passable because balloons are actually important to everyday gameplay.

And it could very well be both yaknow.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I was right about Little Mac being playable, but I was wrong about getting a newcomer in the Nintendo Direct.
I have never been so glad to be wrong in my life.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
I absolutely love the "it was obviously a Punch-Out stage" crowd who keep repeating that even though it has clearly had a massive aesthetic overhaul since the last time we saw it. If they had to change its appearance to make it look like a Punch-Out stage then it clearly was not supposed to look like a Punch-Out stage in the start.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I absolutely love the "it was obviously a Punch-Out stage" crowd who keep repeating that even though it has clearly had a massive aesthetic overhaul since the last time we saw it. If they had to change its appearance to make it look like a Punch-Out stage then it clearly was not supposed to look like a Punch-Out stage in the start.
...the only changes were the logos.

Not like it wasn't a boxing ring before.

Last edited:

Komenja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Komenja
I honestly thought it was just a boxing level stage at first too, and hoped Mac would be a later reveal or a hidden character uncovered when the game released. They're pretty common stages in fighting games. Hell, even the Godzilla fighting game ( Xbox port of Destroy All Monsters Melee to be exact) had one, which was awesome because half of Ogra's attacks were wrestling/boxing moves.

D

Deleted member

Uh, I never denied that there were bowling balls. And the NES games thing doesn't explain the bowling ball, and my idea doesn't explain the balloons, but that's more passable because balloons are actually important to everyday gameplay.

And it could very well be both yaknow.
Of course the NES games don't explain the bowling ball. THAT'S WHAT THE BALL RETURN IS FOR!
The NES games are used to explain both the Balloon Helmet and the boxing gloves.
(Though, as ChozoBoy pointed out, there is a Boxing Set theme in the game, which surprisingly lacks gloves, but it still isn't a stretch that the boxing gloves were based off of that as well as Punch-Out.)

Sylmar

Smash Rookie
I started to get my hopes up that the boxing ring stage was King K. Rool's boxing ring from DK64 :/ I thought they were just gonna remove the Smash logo's and slap K. Rool's face on there, much akin to what they did for Punch-Out!

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Of all the stages to use for a new DK stage, you wanted the boxing ring?

Last edited:

Sylmar

Smash Rookie
Of all the stages to use for a new DK stage, you wanted the boxing ring?
No, I kinda was just mentally using it as an excuse for K. Rool's inclusion :laugh: I DO think we need more DK64 representation stage-wise though

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Dang Sakurai playing this like a sneaky lawyer. I'm pretty sure we'll get both versions though, it'd be a waste to scrap the smash circuit.

The same reason he has a bowling ball: To represent his connection to Wii Sports. The AC team is the same as the Wii X team. Which is why I believe Miis aren't going to get in.

Watch Sakurai prove me wrong.
No, don't jinx it! The last thing we need is to have Mii's playable. They should take he place of the alloys to be our punching bags >:).

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I didn't doubt Mac's chances, but if there was ever a moment of weakness (which I'm sure there was)...

I was wrong to think for a second that Sakurai would be TOO biased against more western oriented characters to include him. (And I mean why not? In Brawl he'd said that given the reception Japanese characters had in the fanbase, that he'd include more AND also include characters famous in the west as well... But we got Lucas, and no Western counterpart at all).

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
It was obviously a Punch-Out stage. Changing and adding some logos isn't "massive." Some people didn't even notice the change until it was pointed out to them. Also, there were a lot of other things the stage already had in common with Punch-Out that haven't changed after Mac's reveal, like the green light show, the crowd, the rope colors, the style of the logo in the center, and the simple fact that the stage is a ****ing boxing ring.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Yeah, but there were those held onto the idea the whole time. Clearly it looks more like a Punch Out! stage now, but plenty of people always believed. Just read some of the original support topic.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It was obviously a Punch-Out stage. Changing and adding some logos isn't "massive." Some people didn't even notice the change until it was pointed out to them. Also, there were a lot of other things the stage already had in common with Punch-Out that haven't changed after Mac's reveal, like the green light show, the crowd, the rope colors, the style of the logo in the center, and the simple fact that the stage is a ****ing boxing ring.
If it was obvious, why are there so many people that say it isn't, why did they have to make it more obvious, and why do you have to hunt for the things that made it obvious?

Sinn

Smash Lord
If it was obvious, why are there so many people that say it isn't, why did they have to make it more obvious, and why do you have to hunt for the things that made it obvious?
I've been on both sides of the fence on this, so I feel qualified to answer.

I first saw idea that the stage was a Punch-Out stage on Little Mac's support thread. Someone had done a very detailed analysis of the stage and the elements that were similar (I think greenluigiman2 mentioned most of them). Prior to that, I was unaware that four ropes was indicative to a boxing ring. I had originally assumed that it was a wrestling ring since wrestling strikes me as more fitting Smash in general than does boxing. But all of the little details, like the style of the marquee lights, the realistically human audience...they all just fit TOO well with something that would come out of Punch-Out. I've played all the Punch-Out games and didn't realize it when I first saw it. But after someone else pointed the details out to me, I couldn't NOT see it anymore.

And I don't think it was a matter of them making it more obvious. I think it's more that they wanted to NOT make it TOO obvious initially before they wanted to announce him as a newcomer. I'm sure the design as it is now was always the plan, but doing that would have completely given it away.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I've been on both sides of the fence on this, so I feel qualified to answer.

I first saw idea that the stage was a Punch-Out stage on Little Mac's support thread. Someone had done a very detailed analysis of the stage and the elements that were similar (I think greenluigiman2 mentioned most of them). Prior to that, I was unaware that four ropes was indicative to a boxing ring. I had originally assumed that it was a wrestling ring since wrestling strikes me as more fitting Smash in general than does boxing. But all of the little details, like the style of the marquee lights, the realistically human audience...they all just fit TOO well with something that would come out of Punch-Out. I've played all the Punch-Out games and didn't realize it when I first saw it. But after someone else pointed the details out to me, I couldn't NOT see it anymore.

And I don't think it was a matter of them making it more obvious. I think it's more that they wanted to NOT make it TOO obvious initially before they wanted to announce him as a newcomer. I'm sure the design as it is now was always the plan, but doing that would have completely given it away.
Speaking of the ropes, it turns out the red, white, and blue ones match the real world. With how everything that made it 'obvious' required research to realize that it was, I thought SSB and Punch Out were referencing the same thing, like a movie or something.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I love how some people who where mistaken actually stood up and admitted it. And the response of the majority is to point fingers and point out how wrong they were. Nice.

As someone who could read into the stage being a punch-out stage, I must say there is no way anyone "knew." True there where signs, but they weren't tell-tale given the fact that the creator of this series walks around with a troll face on a pretty regular basis. Now why not let this thread die and just enjoy the confirmation of a new character?

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I thought the Villager's boxing gloves might have been them showing that they tried, but couldn't pull it off. They gave Villager his gloves like they did with the Balloon Fighter's Balloons. But I didn't think he was actually out, it was more rationalizing why the Villager had boxing gloves.

To set up Mii Mask as an alt costume for Villager.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
As a Little Mac naysayer I pretty much knew from the start that he would get in. Not only from the obvious boxing ring but seeing how insanely high the request for him was. I personally just didn't want him.
Am I gonna cry over it? No. It's at least good to see a new series being represented. Honestly now I'm just neutral about Little Mac. Congrats that he's confirmed but I'm just not hyped for him. I'm still content on Rosalina's inclusion since she seemed less likely.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I never thought Rosalina had a chance...
...Then December happened...

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Exactly. That's why I'm ecstatic that she's confirmed. Compared to Little Mac and many others, she was barely requested so it really felt like a long shot.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Honestly not even Rosalina but Wii Fit Trainer should have proved the whole roster analysis thing that goes on here doesn't mean anything. Sakurai is the only one who chooses the roster, and he's unpredictable.

Nothing wrong with discussing about your favorite character's chances, but heated debates on who is getting in and all that get on my nerves. Out of all the newcomers so far Lil Mac is the only "shoe in", the rest were barely even considered.

Top Bottom