• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hype Fail Thread

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I was thinking about Scribblenauts. Remember that game? The first one was super hyped, leaked online, and had completely polarizing reactions.

I remember buying it, playing it for all of a day, doing everything I can think of and being super disappointed because no matter what you did, there were obviously ways to solve the puzzle in mind. If I tried to go really out the box, I wouldn't be rewarded for it.

Some others that come to mind that I can talk a lot about:
- Spore
- Black and White/2
- Conduit

Any others I missed? Explain why it didn't meet the hype.

D

Deleted member

Crimson King making what could potentially end up as a list thread? I'm surprised.

I'll get the obvious one out of the way: Brawl did not meet the hype. It had a lot of really cool new character picks and features but what brought it down were the slower, more realistic physics and the terrible online play. It failed to live up to how fun Melee was, though that might be nostalgia talking.

A less obvious one would be Brink. Again, it brought good ideas to the table, namely how single-player progression affected the multiplayer, but it turned out be a little bit lackluster, if still fairly fun. The low amount of players, even at launch, does not help matters.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Outside of the OP to get things started, I don't see this becoming a list thread. You have to actually explain why it didn't meet the hype. Hence the last sentence.

I played Brink during the free weekends and I enjoyed it a lot, but something felt off. I think it was the fact that there was no true single player mode, kind of.

I remember there were missions or something, but I kept playing the same ones over and over again.

finalark

SNORLAX
Uncharted 3. Borrowed it from a friend, and just couldn't finish it. I loved the first two but with the third it just felt... old by then. I feel like the franchise is burnt out at this point.

Yoshi

Smash Lord
For me it was Dragon Age II. I'm become a huge fan of Origins, and the storyline as a whole; the sequel while good in its own right, felt rushed and too disconnected from its predecessor. I'll stick to Origins until the third comes out.

finalark

SNORLAX
Too late. That said, I still think it's a very good game.
I agree. The only reason why people hate it is because its not Melee 2.0.

On the offhand, I want to say that the biggest hype fail in my life was the Nintendo 64. I'm going to rant for a bit so prepare for a wall of text.

I'm going to start this off by saying I did not grow up with a Nintendo 64. Nor did I play it extensively when it first came out. My only experiences with it were with Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, F-Zero X and Yoshi's story which I played with my cousin only to stop playing them once he got PlayStation 1. I soon followed and got my own PlayStation 1 the same year for Christmas. Instead of Banjo, Zelda and Mario Kart I played Spyro, Final Fantasy, and Crash Team Racing. The point of that story is that I have little to no nostalgia for the Nintendo 64.

So fast forward many years to around 2008. Everyone on the internet and everyone I know is saying that I really missed out on the best games of all time by getting a PlayStation 1 over a Nintendo 64. So I figured "hey, you can get a Nintendo 64 and a handful of games for cheap. Why not just go and do that?" So I went online, jotted down a list of what was considered the best Nintendo 64 games, and most of them fell flat on their faces.

Mario 64? To my surprise, it has a lot of sound ideas but good god is it loaded with fake difficulty and camera issues. The game drags itself out by just dropping you into a level and gives you nothing more than a vague title to hint at what you're supposed to be doing. Do you know what the difference between running around until you figure it out as opposed to the game just showing you where to go and leaving it up to use to be skillful enough to get there is? About two hours.

Banjo Kazooie also had similar problems. In this case the game worked around you collecting puzzles pieces to enter new levels. The way the game is designed though is that every time you reenter a level ALL OF THE ****ING PUZZLE PIECES RESPAWN. And they don't count if you've already collected them and there's no goddamned indication on if you've collected said pieces or not. Another game that used a similar system where you had to collect items to proceed into new levels was Spyro 2. In that game? The items you've already collected don't spawn. So the game didn't shove so much fake game play lengthening time down your throat.

And next up is the almighty Mario Kart 64, what some would consider the magnum opus of the Mario Kart franchise. The most amazing Mario Kart ever with its bland, forgettable courses, its draw distance of two feet and awkward controls. Man, **** that game. If wrestling with the controls didn't make it challenging not know what was coming up next or where your green shell would hit due to every map being covered in six layers of fog did.

And the final game I'm going to ***** about is what some people stupidly consider the crown jewel of the FPS genre, Goldeneye. Wow. Talk about a directionless mess with god awful controls, boring game play and terrible level design. I mean, Christ. You're dropped into levels with objectives but usual with hardly any clue what they're talking about or what direction they want you to go. And whoever thinks that game controls well needs a slap to the face because **** that. The controls are stiff, aiming is a *****, everything about this ****ing game is just WRONG.

In the end, I found with no nostalgia to back the N64 its pretty unremarkable and for someone who didn't play much of it during its initial run it really shows how poorly 3D games from that era aged (yes, this includes PlayStation 1 games). Oh, and the Nintendo 64 had the most uncomfortable controller with the most uncomfortable control sick ever.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Most recent one for me was Final Fantasy XIII. Not a bad game itself, but it was definitely lacking compared to other games in the series.
Having no real side quests besides hunting monsters was a let down. Same goes with how linear the game was. FFX was linear but the pacing was much better and it didn't giving me the feeling where I wanted to just get the current dungeon over with.

Biggest disappointment for me personally was the story. People praised the story the most aside from battles, and the story didn't click with me at all.

With a game that had such a long development time, I wanted something more.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I agree. The only reason why people hate it is because its not Melee 2.0.
I hate it because it is a flawed and boring game.

The biggest hype fail for me is probably Ocarina of Time. I didn't play it until after the Oracle games and Wind Waker and it has been hyped up as the greatest game ever by then. While OoT is still a fun and great game, I found the world fairly bland overall, its time travel mechanic was disappointing after OoA, despite having some amazing tracks the soundtrack wasn't as memorable to me or I had already heard those tracks by then, and the combat system was stiff and frustrating at times. I played it on the Collector's Edition, so it was quickly overshadowed by Majora's Mask, which didn't have the best reputation at the time.

OoT showed me that I should never get too hyped for any upcoming game, so it's had a lasting impact on me and makes it stand out compared to Brawl, despite it being far more disappointing than OoT.

Jeyfar

Smash Apprentice
I hate it because it is a flawed and boring game.
I second that.

The biggest hype fail for me have been all Call of Duties after Modern Warfare 1, I loved Call of Duty 4, but after the other CoD's became a 12 year old mainstream cursing little kids game I hated every other CoD after (and so far none of them have proven me wrong), along with no dedicated servers and no modding tools (I play on PC )

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
And next up is the almighty Mario Kart 64, what some would consider the magnum opus of the Mario Kart franchise. The most amazing Mario Kart ever with its bland, forgettable courses, its draw distance of two feet and awkward controls. Man, **** that game. If wrestling with the controls didn't make it challenging not know what was coming up next or where your green shell would hit due to every map being covered in six layers of fog did.

And the final game I'm going to ***** about is what some people stupidly consider the crown jewel of the FPS genre, Goldeneye. Wow. Talk about a directionless mess with god awful controls, boring game play and terrible level design. I mean, Christ. You're dropped into levels with objectives but usual with hardly any clue what they're talking about or what direction they want you to go. And whoever thinks that game controls well needs a slap to the face because **** that. The controls are stiff, aiming is a *****, everything about this ****ing game is just WRONG.
****ing thank you. I swear I feel the same about these games too. Honestly though, I want to say that a lot of the N64 games are some of the greatest games I ever spent my time on, but that's my nostalgia talking. Whenever I play an N64 game I didn't actually own as a kid (which was a lot of them because I only owned like half of the good games for the console, since my parents had given me a set of games when they first gifted me my N64 when I was 4 and we never started really going out for games until the GC came out where I started frequenting GS more) I really can't get over either the terrible controls, or the terrible visuals, the terrible draw distance, the terrible gameplay, or whatever it is that's flawed like hell.

When I first played Goldeneye 64 about a decade later after the game came out, I could not seriously get over the terrible visuals, the ****ty controls, the boring gameplay, etc. Even the multiplayer shows off how terrible the crappy controls are when someone used Oddjob and I couldn't kill him for the life of me. The controls are so terrible that just looking down to hit him in the face was a chore.

I'd also like to agree with the MK64 bit. The draw distance really is a piece of **** where you can't see anything 2 feet ahead of you and where most of the visuals make me want to barf.

There's also a lot of other video games that I'd like to say are way too hyped up for what they actually were such as OoT and MM where I felt like the visuals were dated to where the fog distance started to bother and the controls I feel in my eyes really weren't some of the best I had seen in an N64 game.

On the other side, I was also shielded from the PS1 nostalgia fanboyism as well since I only had about 3-5 games on my PS1 when I was a kid. I honestly feel like games like the Spyro series are also really really really bad because of how dated they are. I had gotten the entire Spyro series on PSN since I had PSN+ and they were free. I tried it and I just couldn't get over how bad the game was and how there felt like there was a lack of objective in the game. The visuals were bad and seriously the lack of a clear objective really spun me out of the loop. I mean there was a huge overworld hub and sure there were many portals, but what exactly I was supposed to do when I got to said portals really killed the game for me.

And that's not going into the many other games that game out around that time that also fall short to the hype imo

finalark

SNORLAX
On the other side, I was also shielded from the PS1 nostalgia fanboyism as well since I only had about 3-5 games on my PS1 when I was a kid. I honestly feel like games like the Spyro series are also really really really bad because of how dated they are. I had gotten the entire Spyro series on PSN since I had PSN+ and they were free. I tried it and I just couldn't get over how bad the game was and how there felt like there was a lack of objective in the game. The visuals were bad and seriously the lack of a clear objective really spun me out of the loop. I mean there was a huge overworld hub and sure there were many portals, but what exactly I was supposed to do when I got to said portals really killed the game for me.
I felt like that's due to how the game is designed. It looks like when you enter each level all you have to do is get to the end to open up new levels when in fact you have to go out of your way to get collectables instead if you actually want to progress. Since I have the entire PS1 trilogy memorized it really isn't and issue but the wonky controls are what really threw me off when revisiting those games.

And that's not going into the many other games that game out around that time that also fall short to the hype imo
I feel like most 3D games from that era fall flat on their face when played through fresh eyes because only then do you realize that it really is a no brainier that most of those games were pretty terrible in hindsight. I mean, 3D games was brand new, of course most devs didn't know what they were doing.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I actually like Spore.

It was the whole DRM thing that killed it.

It had a massive protest from gamers against the anti-piracy software they put in it.

While Spore was missing some of the things that was promised from it, expansion packs were planned to include water based and flying species. Expansion packs could have probably solved some of the problems people had with the game

However, because of the protests, etc. it didn't have the sales that EA would have liked and was a massive failure.

They cancelled further expansion packs after the first.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Although I get what Finalark is saying when you compare the old 64 games with today's, but back then they were kinda like stepping stones. A foundation for the games we play today. I re-played Golden Eye not too long ago, and and I agree, it was a pretty bad control scheme. But you have to remember it was the only FPS game at the time. The reason why everyone thought it was so fun was because there wasn't anything like it back then. Now that more then a decade has passed it's old and stale, but at the time it was new and fresh. Not that other games that are much older haven't stood the test of time. It's just that they were good because they were the only things like them at the time. Although I'm not going to argue that the games are still good today, I still think the N64 games deserve some respect for building the foundation for most of the games we play today.

Just my 2 cents.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah, you can't look at a games from the past and look at it from a modern perspective.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I actually like Spore.

It was the whole DRM thing that killed it.

It had a massive protest from gamers against the anti-piracy software they put in it.

While Spore was missing some of the things that was promised from it, expansion packs were planned to include water based and flying species. Expansion packs could have probably solved some of the problems people had with the game
It was almost as if they deliberately kept stuff out to sell expansion packs, but EA, publishers of The Sims would never do something like that oh wait they would and it's what they did.

I was so freaking let down by this game. I even bought the collectors edition. (Which is rather ironic, as I've gotten a lot more use of The Shirt I got with it than the game)

I expected a lot more from the creature phase, I expected more from the tribal and city phases, the space phase was just boring and repetitive (They even removed the 'close encounters' minigame!), and they removed the sea phase completely.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Will Wright quit over that game, so EA was doing something to tie his hands down.

I know he wanted a lot more with that game.

I got a lot of fun out of the creature creator though. I actually never bought the full game, just played it at a friends house. I have the creature creator and had lots of fun making random things.

It seems they changed stuff from the creature creator demo as well. In the demo, more legs made you run faster. More weapons made you deal more damage. That was ALL taken out from the game. For some reason, the more canons you added was just aesthetic in the game. Same with legs and other stats. I wonder why they decided to change that.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I have Spore and I got the Galactic Edition as well when I first got it. I was so excited over playing the game then I was severely let down by how boring it would get. I mean the cell stage was neat, the creature stage was meh since it got boring pretty fast, the civilization and tribal stages were the biggest piece of **** tactical strategy real time games I ever played, and the space stage became mediocre after you get halfway through it. I mean it just felt so incomplete when they could've had like 50 other things that they could've added to it to make it a lot better

And not to mention that the removal of the sea stage is a disappointment as roaming the seas as a leoplurodonic creature wouldve been awesome

:phone:

Top Bottom