• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Huge Problem With For Glory

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
So I'm an average smasher of somewhat above-average skill, and I like me some for glory mode. I like the real challenge of fighting somebody who uses skills when they fight. And it's great fun to do this!
But here's the thing.
Some of you might have guessed already.
I flipping hate move spammers.
Every so often you'll find a player who picks Lucario/Charizard/Samus/etc, and all they'll do is roll dodge everything and use Aura Sphere/Dragon Rush/Charge Beam/etc. I'm sure some of you have too. Well I'm tired of dealing with them. I exit their battles. Avoid the problematic situation, avoid the problem, right?
So, so wrong.
See, I've exited a total of three battles, all happening this past week. The first two times I was penalized with ten minute banishment, which is fair. But this third time, I've been banned for twenty! I'm trying to not tarnish my records, but then I don't get to play! All I wanted to do was beat up some fools with some dark bow and electroshock arm (yeah I like Dark Pit, deal with it :p), but now I can't fight anything with a pulse for a third of an hour! I'VE been punished for some noob/troll who shouldn't be in for glory in the first place! Let's talk about this!

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
For glory was ****, having FD only gives MU advantage to certain amount of characters, while making others unplayable. 90% of the players on there are roll-happy casuals, and it's so hard to punish since they just kept abusing rolls, and the lag aren't helping at all. And to be honest, the wifi haven't improved much from brawl. Also, everyone uses little Mac, even though he isn't even any good, 1 gimp and he's dead, and since they made it only two stocks, comebacks can be extremely difficult since some player takes time to adapt to the game. I have played for glory a lot, and I have met like 2 players on there who are actually good.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Roll dodging is pretty punishable. I understand that's not the case with everyone. I run into plenty of roll abusers, but less so people who know how to handle the heat once they're caught. It makes for long winded games, but it ups your punishment skill and is actually a great way for people who know how vulnerable over rolling can be to get in some punish practice. There are many levels of the game you need to iron out to be effective. Some of those areas can be tedious to train in but are important, so make the most out of their repetitive silly acts. As for people who FD circle the stage underneath to stall, just take the high road, you are above this person as a player by default if you kept your cool in my books, no matter how good they were that first stock. I've run into 1 person who did this in the 2k+ games I've played so far. I remember it specifically and it was extremely frustrating, but it's manageable (villager >.>) It's a problem with that player, less so the game. And sadly, trolls are among us wherever we go.

I haven't gotten banned yet but I can imagine that being really annoying. There are ways of throwing a game with style though ;] without suffering.

I do hope it gets better for you :/ I haven't shared the same headache, but it sounds obnoxious.

Last edited:

RoosterHelmet

Smash Rookie
I find myself playing only a few matches in For Glory before coming across a roll spammer/projectile abuser and getting annoyed. I enjoy fighting the higher level players, but the lack of stage neutrality really begins to get to me after a while.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I still really hope they add in Battlefield at least here and there... it shouldn't be too hard in a patch.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
You people complain about everything. Also, there have been like 10 threads about projectile spammers in For Glory already.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
So I'm an average smasher of somewhat above-average skill, and I like me some for glory mode. I like the real challenge of fighting somebody who uses skills when they fight. And it's great fun to do this!
But here's the thing.
Every so often you'll find a player who picks Lucario/Charizard/Samus/etc, and all they'll do is roll dodge everything and use Aura Sphere/Dragon Rush/Charge Beam/etc. I'm sure some of you have too. Well I'm tired of dealing with them. I exit their battles. Avoid the problematic situation, avoid the problem, right?
So, so wrong.
See, I've exited a total of three battles, all happening this past week. The first two times I was penalized with ten minute banishment, which is fair. But this third time, I've been banned for twenty! I'm trying to not tarnish my records, but then I don't get to play! All I wanted to do was beat up some fools with some dark bow and electroshock arm (yeah I like Dark Pit, deal with it :p), but now I can't fight anything with a pulse for a third of an hour! I'VE been punished for some noob/troll who shouldn't be in for glory in the first place! Let's talk about this!
A simple solution would be to just SD, that's what I do when the match is laggy. The record isn't worth my enjoyment, plus I have so many more wins than losses anyway that one or two losses won't hurt

Jeebis

Smash Rookie
Aka you hate Toon Link
I don't blame you,it gets really boring after a while because of the lack of balance in the fights.

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
Maybe instead of ragequitting mid-match you should actually fight them and learn how to beat them

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
I hear you. Literally every time I find a Toon Link, it's a game where they'll just run to the other side of the stage with their projectiles. Not hard to deal with, but it's boring and annoying. But I must stress to everyone: Rolling is punishable but it's very hard to do online because of the input lag compared to a Local match, and THAT is what's wrong with "For Glory" it's the connection, and unfortunately that cannot be helped

Last edited:

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
Maybe instead of ragequitting mid-match you should actually fight them and learn how to beat them
And subject yourself to the immense boredom?
No thank you. I play games to have fun, not to play tag with projectile spammers.

Last edited:

RoosterHelmet

Smash Rookie
It isn't that I'm rage-quitting because I'm being beaten, but because it's boring fighting people who just do the same thing over and over again. I play For Glory because I want to play against skilled players.

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
If it stops working on you, they'll stop doing it. And if they don't, free win

Phantom High

Smash Apprentice
i just picked up the game and fought a few macs and bowsers.
i just short hop fair with maryh and luci, rake up the damage, and look for a chance to gimp or kill them.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Found one of your problems.

Your. Record. Means. Jack.

Just run off the stage twice and move on.

Also please refer to this thread.

This, oh so this!

The record means absolutely nothing in any game that doesnt have a rigorous ranking system in place to make it actually represent something. Being in Diamond League or whatever is the top league now in SC2 actually means something, while 95% winrate on Sm4sh means jack diddly.
Toon Links are the only campers you just cant get through, since all 3 of his uber spammable and decently ranged projectiles have crazy priority, knockback, and control so you cant even just jump over them. Doesnt mean i dont ever beat toon links, but it does mean its crazy infuriating to face because all im doing is playing "Cant Touch Dis!" rather than sm4sh.
Ive faced them so many times ive gotten to the point where i dont even bother waiting to see if youre a spammer or actually playing toon link. i just jump off and find another player.

Last edited:

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
So I'm an average smasher of somewhat above-average skill
So your play style is spamming two different moves yet you can't stand to play one, two stock match against someone else who does that? I mean come on. That bow is just as spammable as aura sphere but you don't see people complaining about you. Now obviously I haven't seen you play but if you don't have the patience to finish one game against a spammer you shouldn't be playing online in the first place.

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
It isn't that I'm rage-quitting because I'm being beaten, but because it's boring fighting people who just do the same thing over and over again. I play For Glory because I want to play against skilled players.
Well, getting you to rage quit in the middle of the match must take some skill, no?

If you were really winning against them you wouldn't be complaining, either. Instead of always leaving, try practicing against them. Then you can figure out effective ways to avoid lots of projectiles (just like how I found out Zero Suit Samus' Flip Jump works wonders). If skilled players means not using moves to their fullest to win, I don't know what SSB really is.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
So your play style is spamming two different moves yet you can't stand to play one, two stock match against someone else who does that? I mean come on. That bow is just as spammable as aura sphere but you don't see people complaining about you. Now obviously I haven't seen you play but if you don't have the patience to finish one game against a spammer you shouldn't be playing online in the first place.
Dark Pit has very very few attacks that don't use the bow. I didn't mean just the arrow :p

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
Dark Pit has very very few attacks that don't use the bow. I didn't mean just the arrow :p
Yeah I thought that might be the case, but the fact remains that spammers are easier to beat than good players, sure it might be frustrating. But once you learn how to beat them, seeing them will mean an almost guaranteed win.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
But here's the thing.
So, so wrong.
If you only exit their battles, how are you ever going to learn to deal with them?? You're telling me you play Dark Pit, yet you have issues with people spamming projectiles? You do realise you have the Orbitars, right? Honestly, you're in no position to say that someone should not be allowed to be in For Glory. Rude.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Well, getting you to rage quit in the middle of the match must take some skill, no?

If you were really winning against them you wouldn't be complaining, either. Instead of always leaving, try practicing against them. Then you can figure out effective ways to avoid lots of projectiles (just like how I found out Zero Suit Samus' Flip Jump works wonders). If skilled players means not using moves to their fullest to win, I don't know what SSB really is.
It's a matter of enjoyment. I can fight and beat spammers no problem; a lot of people can. It's just not fun at all. Complaining about dumbasses=/=not being able to beat dumbasses. Their existence just really pollutes the online experience.

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I'll say what I don't like. Only FD modes are available. This skews the viability of many characters, giving characters who have good projectile game a giant advantage.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Nah, the biggest problem with FG is that all stages are Final Destination.

So what if spammers are not fun to play against? It is For Glory for a reason. Win by any means, whether it takes no skill or skill.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
If you only exit their battles, how are you ever going to learn to deal with them?? You're telling me you play Dark Pit, yet you have issues with people spamming projectiles? You do realise you have the Orbitars, right? Honestly, you're in no position to say that someone should not be allowed to be in For Glory. Rude.
Wait... can the orbitars stop Dragon Rush? If so, I have more of a way to deal with things

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
You people complain about everything. Also, there have been like 10 threads about projectile spammers in For Glory already.
This. You guys need to deal.

I've been having a blast annihilating move spammers and roll abusers with Bowser Jr.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Wait... can the orbitars stop Dragon Rush? If so, I have more of a way to deal with things
Ehh, I assume so. I mean, it blocks attacks and reflects projectiles so I don't see why that move would be an issue. Shielding or jumping would be easier though.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
simply eject the game from your 3DS instant disconnect and no drop penalty

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
Though it may seem dark and uninviting, you can't stray from your path. Face your trials head on and learn well from every failure. You CAN change the future! :4shulk:*inspirational music*

Oh, but uh, shield. Shield helps a lot. Charizard literally bounces off of it and you get a free punish if they like the ol' flare blitz too much. As for projectiles, with Dark Pit, harass them with your arrows and use Orbitars if they're gonna mindlessly throw it out for an easy kill/big damage. Otherwise just jump over their shot and continue to poke them with arrows.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
*Gets 13 spammers in a row*

"Maybe you should learn to beat them instead of rage-quitting"

Why do I play this game? Man I can't wait up hop onto a mode where skilled players should be and start thinking of ways to create fun out of beating spammers after I get my constant errors of getting into a lobby!

Logic :4pacman:

D

Deleted member 245254

*Gets 13 spammers in a row*

"Maybe you should learn to beat them instead of rage-quitting"

Why do I play this game? Man I can't wait up hop onto a mode where skilled players should be and start thinking of ways to create fun out of beating spammers after I get my constant errors of getting into a lobby!

Logic :4pacman:
Dunno about you but winning is fun.

TheZapp

Smash Journeyman
When I'm losing badly and I get salty I just unplug my router. You lose no win rate and u don't get banned. You're Welcome

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
When I'm losing badly and I get salty I just unplug my router. You lose no win rate and u don't get banned. You're Welcome
Cheater, cheater! Pumpkin eater!

Take your losses with glory and respect. Treat them as learning experiences.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Since I play as Rosalina 99% of the time, projectile spam doesn't really work against me since I can just stand there and spam her Down Special, and force an approach from my opponent. Alternatively, Luma can serve as a shield on my way towards the spammer, at which point I just ram through them with Rosalina's Dash Attack.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I tend to beat spammers then i leave the lobby. I remember their names so i know not to play them.

If you get beaten so be it, leave the lobby remember their names so you'll never face them.

I only SD when your connection is total doodoo.

If you don't want them to get the win eject the game card. your welcome.

Last edited:

LightningVance

Smash Apprentice
or just don't play For Glory and play on stages that are "fair to all characters and have no stage gimmicks and don't promote camping and look good when viewed under fluorescent lighting and have at least three vowels in their name"

Smash is "fun" right?

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I feel like the OP is a bait post. Multiple red flags being set off.

Top Bottom