• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm with a good feeling of a shadow drop today, like Joker's, with that Link's Awakening Spirit Event. Oh, probably Homerun Contest will be with the pack.
The Link's Awakening spirits are out now, and there's nothing else with them.

If I had to guess, it won't release completely out of nowhere - I figure that, like Joker, the Dragon Quest heroes will get an overview trailer explaining how they work (we don't know what happens if their MP runs out, or if each special move involves multiple spells, or if there are any hazards that show up on their stage) and detailing any additional content that comes with them a day or two before they release.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
The Link's Awakening spirits are out now, and there's nothing else with them.

If I had to guess, it won't release completely out of nowhere - I figure that, like Joker, the Dragon Quest heroes will get an overview trailer explaining how they work (we don't know what happens if their MP runs out, or if each special move involves multiple spells, or if there are any hazards that show up on their stage) and detailing any additional content that comes with them a day or two before they release.
I expect to see them either July or August because I predict that the next Nintendo direct will be in August

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
if it's july then it's early july(like July 4th)

i don't see it being A Late July Or August release date for the hero that seems a little too long

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I would say late july. And sakurai could release a video around the 20th or something like that.
Completely fine with it being earlier tho XD

D

Deleted member

Does anyone remember how long it took for joker to be released after we got the sign that joker is coming on the smash bros website?
He released on the Thursday of the Easter holidays in Spain (around the end of April) and was revealed at the Game Awards (middle of December or earlier on the month).

5 months.

xwingz900

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone remember how long it took for joker to be released after we got the sign that joker is coming on the smash bros website?
He was revealed about 1 day or so before the game released at the Game Awards in December, but remember that the trailer had no gameplay and was just confirmation that the character was in development. An official game play trailer for Joker released on the Smash Bros Youtube channel and a patch 3.0 trailer released on the Nintendo Youtube channel on April 16, and if I'm not mistaken he released the next day. Erdrick/Luminary, and by extension Banjo, already both have game play trailers, so I have a feeling that the wait cycle will be much shorter. I predict that Erdrick/Luminary could be dropping within the next few days, optimally before the end of June, and we could be seeing Banjo in late August or early September (I wish it was sooner because i'm starting college and I won't have as much time by then). I think the loose statements of Summer 2019 and Fall 2019 are just general ideas in case it takes the dev teams longer than expected to finish or they encounter bugs. Remember, if they said they will be done by February 2020, they won't be poking around as much as they did with Joker.

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Watching some reactions from japanese youtubers I noticed that the Heroes actually says the name of the spells like Mera, Merazoma and Raidein. Why the english version is not like that...

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I believe that was Alpharad's reaction video.
No this was a Japanese reaction. They were screaming hype for the Yuusha

Watching some reactions from japanese youtubers I noticed that the Heroes actually says the name of the spells like Mera, Merazoma and Raidein. Why the english version is not like that...
You know I notice that too. It's pretty funny that the Japanese dubs are used throughout. Unless the English dub improved Luminarys screams because in the ps4 it was ear grating.

Edit: hey

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

PhaseDistorter

Smash Rookie
It's been three days and I'm still super hyped about Dragon Quest and Banjo getting into Smash, I thought I would be tired of watching the trailers on loop but not yet

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I put most of the leaks and datamine section of the main post in spoiler tags, so that people could check it without all that 'old' info.

Maybe eventually it could have more info if more people get into dragon quest, but for now i think it'll just stay as it is.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Hey hey, just remembered to come in, I am so stoked that we finally got our Hero. Slightly disappointed that III and IV didn't get their female alts but beggars definitely CAN'T be choosers here. How long do you think it'll take modders to fix that problem? **Quips** J/K Either way, HYPE! Game just feels complete now! Especially with Banjo along as well!

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Just noticed this: All Hero's specials are the Spell Menu. Each direction will have 4 Spells.
Neutral B: Snooze, Psych Up, Oomph, Sizzle
Up B: Whoosh, Zoom, ???, ???
Side B: Frizz(Kafrizz), Zap(Kazap), Kacrackle Slash, ???
Down B: Bounce, Kaclang, Kamikazee, ???

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
If this is the case Hero is shaping up to be one of the most unique and technical characters, one would have to learn the MP usage of each move and the best situations to use them, i'm not that good with Shulk's Monado Arts, but that's not gonna stop me from playing a lot of Hero.

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
It seems likely but has it been proven that each special has four moves?

Hero looks like a tricky character both to master and fight against. I look forward to putting some time in with him!

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Hero looks like a tricky character both to master and fight against. I look forward to putting some time in with him!
No we really don't know for sure. But I do kinda hope it's like that, being able to have a lot more options is always good :)
It'll definitely take being strategic a bit, since magic can't be spammed.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Dropping in to say congratulations. I haven't played a Dragon Warrior game since the NES days and forgot the series still existed.

I'm interested in playing Erdrick for an odd reason: I'm a former Link main who dropped off because he lost his crazy-long hookshot grab, and my 2nd favorite Link is the spellcasting one from Z2:tAoL on the NES.

Erdrick looks like a good gameplay substitute.

Question about Erdrick's forward tilt: the first hit is with the shield. Do you think that hit will block incoming strikes, kinda like a Palutena bair?

I ask because also in Z2, Link would present his shield before stabbing, and it would block attacks. If Erdrick works the same way, well I have a new main from a series I stopped thinking about decades ago.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
He was revealed about 1 day or so before the game released at the Game Awards in December, but remember that the trailer had no gameplay and was just confirmation that the character was in development. An official game play trailer for Joker released on the Smash Bros Youtube channel and a patch 3.0 trailer released on the Nintendo Youtube channel on April 16, and if I'm not mistaken he released the next day. Erdrick/Luminary, and by extension Banjo, already both have game play trailers, so I have a feeling that the wait cycle will be much shorter. I predict that Erdrick/Luminary could be dropping within the next few days, optimally before the end of June, and we could be seeing Banjo in late August or early September (I wish it was sooner because i'm starting college and I won't have as much time by then). I think the loose statements of Summer 2019 and Fall 2019 are just general ideas in case it takes the dev teams longer than expected to finish or they encounter bugs. Remember, if they said they will be done by February 2020, they won't be poking around as much as they did with Joker.
I Wouldn't be surprised if he's out next week I Just have a hard time believing that Hero isn't already finished or just about to be finished

D

Deleted member

So apparently some new screenshots that are not on Smash Ultimate Website have been circling around. And ssbwiki claims the stage name to be "Yggdrasil's Altar" though they don't seem to have a source.

Does anyone know where this information is coming from?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
So apparently some new screenshots that are not on Smash Ultimate Website have been circling around. And ssbwiki claims the stage name to be "Yggdrasil's Altar" though they don't seem to have a source.

Probably a press kit.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
That would indeed be the case according to the image files on ssbwiki.

............so how exactly do press kit shenanigans work ^^;
It's basically just a package of pertinent info the press would need to know, typically obtained through Nintendo's servers and needing a password so the general public can't access it.

D

Deleted member

It's basically just a package of pertinent info the press would need to know, typically obtained through Nintendo's servers and needing a password so the general public can't access it.
Ah. So it got leaked. *sigh* Oh well. Thanks for answering.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
ya know it'd be weird if Hero didn't have anything special about him after the treatment they gave joker with his winning outro and everything else

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman

I'm saying that based on the size of the window, I doubt they would leave empty slots on the window or reduce it. Also he use something like Heal in one Screenshot with Cloud, so it's really likeable that we will have more Spells in his launch video.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
Ya Know if the stage is complete(no bugs or anything)and all Hero needs is a few brief touch up's then the release window for Next Week or Early July doesn't seem so farfetched

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i need something to get me to be hype about smash again and stupid little spirit event's aren't gonna do that at all...

the sooner hero comes out the better...

AugustusB

Smash Champion

I wish I could see those images...the links are dead to mine eyes...

I also gotta say, I love watching the Japanese YouTubers and streamers reaction to The Hero. It makes me feel overjoyed that this happened. (Even though I was hesitant about the rumors early on)

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I found a vid that's purely Japanese reactions so hear yeah go honestly this just makes me happy I know they were happy but I just goes to show that those dumb people saying that the Japanese weren't asking for DQ characters it just shows that we don't know anything hear how happy they are someone is actually crying in this tears of happiness

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I wish Smash ultimate did the thing that Smash 4 did where every newcomer got a poster drawn by the artist associated with that newcomer.

Could you imagine a Smash bros poster drawn by Akira Toriyama? That would be beautiful.

D

Deleted member

I wish I could see those images...the links are dead to mine eyes...

I also gotta say, I love watching the Japanese YouTubers and streamers reaction to The Hero. It makes me feel overjoyed that this happened. (Even though I was hesitant about the rumors early on)
I dislike how much of a hassle posting images on Smashboards can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom