• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Headphone Thread

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That's what happens when you have headphones that focus only on bass

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I've never tried Beats right out of the box, but it's possible that the "clamp" has yet to be worked in, therefore you're feeling pressure on your ears. It's something that will loosen over time. If it's still hurting, then your ears probably just hate the sound.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
My left ear is fine, but for some reason all the pressure is on my right ear DX\

And seriously, I don't get what all the hate is for. I really like them. They sound very good. Rock music does seem to be drowned in bass, but for what I listen to most (dance, pop) they are perfect. I just put the Rock EQ on when I listen to Rock and It balances out very well. But honestly, I've grown to like the extra bass to where I don't bother messing with the EQ except for a couple songs.

*hides from Mizuki*

Meh, I'm just gonna take them back today and get the studios next payday. For $200 I shouldn't have to deal with comfort issues. e.e

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Those are nice, but I need something with a mic and volume control. Also something light and portable that I can wear while riding my bike/roller blading/jogging. Lol

Went to take them back, I'm SO glad I work at Target, otherwise I wouldn't be able to return them after they're opened e.x. I have to bring them the same day I get the studios and do an exchange.

I think the issue with the Solos are that the earcups are just too small....

theeboredone

Smash Legend
FYI, both Solos and Studios do have a high return rate given how "finicky" they are. In other words, build quality is not the best. So if Target offers some sort of replacement plan, pay up for that as well.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I already got that. :p

It's really not a bad deal. It covers normal wear and tear issues and they give you a giftcard for a full refund if something happens to it. it's only $17 too o:

I'm gonna see if I can break these in, the Studios are so bulky... I like the smallness of the solos, and the studios don't come in light blue :c

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
Were, If you recommend the m50s, I counter with ATH-T400. It's basically the m50 with newer driver materials, and significantly less expensive.

@White Mage: The fact that you have to use an EQ should tell you that your headphone's aren't the best. As a general rule, your headphone should be able to handle all genres well.

in other news, i repaired my HSA Golden Crystal. Then I'm going to recable my Koss Pro-DJ, and I need to repair my Monster N-Credible N-Ergy,

Then I'm thinking about building my own headphone.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I think you guys misunderstood my post. I can't return the headphones. I can, however, exchange them for a different type on the same day. (But only because I work there, otherwise I'd be screwed)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
When I worked in customer service I wouldn't have provided different service just because the person worked at the store. I would have expected the employee returning the thing to have better knowledge of rules and regulations and held them to a higher standard.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
The customer service person wasn't going to let me return them, but she called the electronics manager and she came over and asked how long I had them ( like 2 days lol) she looked over them carefully, then said it would be fine since they were the real ones (I questioned that later) and I haven't had them for more than a month. I only get a one time exchange though and she would have to inspect them again when I come next week. (Although I'm thinking of keeping them now because I think they're starting to break in, they don't hurt nearly as much anymore)

They usually don't take the headphones back because people buy fake ones and swap them out with the real ones and return the fake ones to the store they got the real ones from. e.e

People are assholes.

Vixen

Premium
All I have to say is, that's what you get for buying crappy mainstream garbage :3

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk 2

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Mizuki, they are not garbage. They are good headphones, they just need to be like $100 less to be accepted by the audiophile community. .-.

I bet if I gave you a pair, you would keep them and use them. If only to compliment an outfit at the least.

I've been browsing around headifi for a bit and it seems like all the hate for beats is just because they're popular and expensive for what's given. I've seen a couple honest posters who have actually tried them out for more than 2 minutes and all say that they aren't bad, just not the best.

I can understand why some people are mad that beats are the headphones being marketed, but think about it. The goal of Beats was to get people to buy better headphones, and listen to music "The way it was meant to be heard". They have accomplished just that. Because of beats, people have been buying better quality headphones instead of just $1 store earbuds. People have become more educated about headphones and have bought other, better, headphones than beats. But do you think they would've found out about the better ones if it wasn't for the recent headphones fad started by beats? Probably not. Before you guys start hating on beats for being over priced and mainstream, think about how it has affected the audiophile community and has caused it to grow by getting people to realize "Sound matters".

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
A good marketing gimmick does not make a good headphone.

I just don't like them because they are massively overpriced. You can get the same quality for half to a quarter of the price. They aren't that bad, though, when you take price out of the equation. Just not great.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Got the Studios. So much better! The noise cancelling is crazy O.o they're also a bit clearer.

Vixen

Premium
White image I was given studios. I flipped them, and bought Shure SE315. I don't like how beats sound. Even for trip hop, industrial, hard style, etc, there's better. Mix Master Mike for example are about $250 and have a unique feature set, and sound pretty good for electronic music. There are also better all rounders like Audiotechnica A900x in the $200 range. As for aesthetics, I like retro and vintage outfits. Watch me walk around with Grados daisy chained around my neck wearing denim and flannel. I'm not in to the sleek, trendy looks of the Beats line.

Hell I'd sooner walk around with my Pioneer Se-A1000 or my Audio technica T500 which have massive 50-53mm drivers and are incredibly unwieldy because beats don't convey any sort of message I wish to stand by.

Vixen

Premium
Ephoenix6 get the monoprice 8320, 8323, jvc fax101, koss kcs35, or soundmagic es18. All are between 20-25

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Soooooooooooo, ever since I got my beats... My dad has been drooling over them. I wanna get him some nice headphones for fathers day that look nice. (Don't worry about sound, he's by no means an audiophile) I wanted to get him some beats, but the only ones I can afford between now and then is the earbuds... and I don't think paying $100 for earbuds is worth it, lol. I came across these on Amazon... for a HUGE sale. Think this is a good deal?

http://www.amazon.com/STREET-Cent-Wired-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B006BUN6ZE/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Seems to have mostly positive reviews.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Also, please stop coming here looking for opinions on consumer headphones. Especially since you keep blindly defending them.
Talk about headphones here! Any headphones.
-.-

I like the Zoros, but I need an over ear with noise cancellation, with a mic for calls. The Yamahas look awesome, but are currently out of my price range.... ( need $100 or less)

I was simply asking if you thought the streets were a good deal for $90 or have heard anything about them because I haven't used them/heard of them, and they look nice and have everything he would need.

Vixen

Premium
Noise cancellation is garbage.

Get the Noontec Zoro. It has a mic, looks nice as ****, will isolate fairly well, and won't sound like ****.

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, usually I'll just buy like 3 pairs of $10 headphones at once. I've had ones that cheap that have lasted me 6 months before they fall apart. You may be asking yourself, "But Village, shouldn't you just buy more expensive headphones and hope they last?" save yer breath, I've became cynical of namebrand headphones long ago.

Vixen

Premium
Then don't buy consumer name brand. Buy actual professional audio stuff. For ruggedness I'd go with Koss or Pioneer. For home listening, I'd go with audio technical, Grado Labs, or Beyer Dynamic. For dj, I'd go with Shure, or Skullcandy's Mix Master Mike tribute headphones.

You will be missing all sorts of details on cheapie headphones.

I've had my grado sr60 for 2 years, Koss pro-dj for a year, soundmagic pl30 for 2 years, etc.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Has anyone here tried headphones made with wood? Supposedly this makes the sound deeper and richer. I'm considering buying some once I save up enough money to do so (Woodees, $30).

D

Deleted member

Noise cancellation is garbage.

I think a lot of people haven't really tried other types to see that they are better. It'd be better to convince them why it's bad. I used to like the noise canceling headphones too until I tried the open ones.

Vixen

Premium
Noise cancellation works by emitting frequencies that block out ambient noise. The problem with this is that it emits a high pitch frequency that is audible, and detracts from the overall quality of the music. It's also fatiguing, hearing that frequency over a period of time.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I prefer in-ear headphones, so there is no need to cancel out ambient noise with frequencies. Some people don't like the feel of them, but they always come with a variety of different sized tips, and they work well for me. They have some with both, but it's really unnecessary.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
If you want good headphones just get senhiesers or beyer dynamicas, you can get there cheap headphones and still have amazing quality. You have to be a real dumbass to get fooled into burning your money on beats by dre.

Vixen

Premium
To be fair i actually like shure and audio technica better than sennheiser and beyer.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom