• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hawk Samurai, Takamaru Ventures For Smash Switch (Operation #TakamaruForSamSho. See Page 26 for Details)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I didn't know Takamaru had mangas. That is something interesting. Are they canon?
Yes, they were a part of the official Murasame Castle guide you see before you and gave a little backstory to the game.

They also function as a gag manga to show you how to play the game (finding items, fighting enemies, and rescuing maidens).

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I majorly support Takamaru. I was actually kind of obsessed for some time with the series, and I've collected a ton of artwork that might not be known to you guys. Surprisingly, chibi Takamaru is a recurring theme. The artwork in a lot of these is incredible, and Takamaru's personality is on full display.

\

I only found this one a single time online. No idea what else there is to it.

I have included as many pages as I could find on auctions and other parts of the internet, but it is almost definitely not complete. Made by the Japanese company Yamato Rainbow One

Another Japanese-only manga for Nazo no Murasame jo. This one seems to have the monsters more alienlike, but I couldn't find much of it.

Fun fact: the monsters/yokai in The Mysterious Murasame Castle are actually aliens. It's the plot twist. (What I wouldn't give for a reboot where that's explored more earnestly.)

Also, if anyone wanted a non-Samurai Warriors roster icon:
I've got say, I really applaud whoever was able to take most of these images of the manga and strategy guide. Especially since we finally know that the anatomy of Murasame being like a shi-shi (lion dog) is canon. Some were always confused about the anatomy of him because only the upper part of his face moved on the original sprite. Which lead to stuff like this.

Also, this one happens to be my favorite. Definitely would like to have that as my avatar one day if it weren't for me loving my current one.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Wish me luck ronins, I'm nominating Takamaru for the next Hunger Games match, which is appropriately Smash Switch themed.

Chances are that he may not make it alive. So I'll see if his sword will be alone to fight off the other candidates. :p

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hello there Pacack, long time no see.

I'm glad that you had all these old images in hand, because they would look excellent for the second part of our OP. I remember most of them like it was yesterday, even your old Chibi Takamaru avatar. :p

Added you back because you a Takamaru supporting veteran like most of us. The best thing e can do is wait for his grand return in a new game or join a possible Smash Switch's roster.
Feel more than free to add that to the OP. It would be a great way to get the images seen by more people.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Wish me luck ronins, I'm nominating Takamaru for the next Hunger Games match, which is appropriately Smash Switch themed.

Chances are that he may not make it alive. So I'll see if his sword will be alone to fight off the other candidates. :p
Hunger Games? What are you talking about?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Down Special, in my opinion.
Same.

I don't really mind if they were to make it a special dodge animation with super armor, but a Down Special would be more practical and it's an iconic part of his original arsenal. Negating it to a dodge would only e downplaying its special gimmick.

And by the way, I've put all of Pacack Pacack 's images in the second part of the OP.

I think it fits perfectly. What do you think?

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
And by the way, I've put all of Pacack Pacack 's images in the second part of the OP.

I think it fits perfectly. What do you think?
I think it's great.

When people look at the Takamaru alternate colors, they would be amazed by the sheer amount of guides and memorabilia that he has for a one-shot character.

Even a short manga that teaches you about the game itself. It's pretty nice addition to our perfect OP about Takamaru. Makes me want to change my avatar to that Chibi Takamaru so badly.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
After our Murasame Castle discussion on Discord, I think we should go ahead and add @EmceeEspio as a new member of our crew. Seriously though, I like the idea of a MGSR style action game with Takamaru being a deadpan snarker (but not Kazooie or Deadpool levels of snark). Seriously, that was a nice discussion we had yesterday.

Also, happy birthday to me. :p

smashkirby

Smash Hero
After our Murasame Castle discussion on Discord, I think we should go ahead and add @EmceeEspio as a new member of our crew. Seriously though, I like the idea of a MGSR style action game with Takamaru being a deadpan snarker (but not Kazooie or Deadpool levels of snark). Seriously, that was a nice discussion we had yesterday.

Also, happy birthday to me. :p
Happy belated birthday!

P.Kay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
plenty.kay
3DS FC
3153-8243-0352
Takamaru seems like a good addition to the Smash roster. He is a classic character and has good potential for a great moveset. The only issue (which was stated in the first post) is the lack of Western familiarity, he needs more advertisement and promotion somehow...

I think he would do well as a character that's good for beginners (I mean this in no harmful way whatsoever), like Kirby. So he is easy to learn but he also has great potential to do very well with competitively.

I support! :4dedede:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I wonder how likely characters that got Mii costumes really are.

It's noticeable that a few highly requested characters got Mii costumes; K. Rool, Geno, Takamaru, Chrom, but there's also a few that were extremely popular that got absolutely nothing; Isaac, Ridley, Krystal. I would like to think that the reason those costumes were added was because of their popularity and I do believe that's true. I just hope those costumes aren't a "sorry, this is all you get". I dunno, I do think he's still the most likely Retro Character for the next Smash. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I wonder how likely characters that got Mii costumes really are.

It's noticeable that a few highly requested characters got Mii costumes; K. Rool, Geno, Takamaru, Chrom, but there's also a few that were extremely popular that got absolutely nothing; Isaac, Ridley, Krystal. I would like to think that the reason those costumes were added was because of their popularity and I do believe that's true. I just hope those costumes aren't a "sorry, this is all you get". I dunno, I do think he's still the most likely Retro Character for the next Smash. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
I really wonder about that too. It does seem kind of odd that those three along with some others gotten some Mii costumes while the likes of Krystal and such get none at all. Some do say that they point the finger to their popularity (especially K Rool). Though the worst case scenario is that they were there as consolation prizes with little thought in them.

Guess we should;t falter just yet. There's still the future and we just have to see how that goes.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I really wonder about that too. It does seem kind of odd that those three along with some others gotten some Mii costumes while the likes of Krystal and such get none at all. Some do say that they point the finger to their popularity (especially K Rool). Though the worst case scenario is that they were there as consolation prizes with little thought in them.

Guess we should;t falter just yet. There's still the future and we just have to see how that goes.
These are my thoughts as well.

While it's possible that Isaac or Krystal didn't get anything because of obscurity, Takamaru and Gilgamesh are just as obscure in comparison yet still had costumes (though he was an Assist Trophy after all).

There's got to be some reasoning behind some of these costumes that happen to be popular for Smash.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Glad to see this thread once again!
And I'm still down for Takamaru in smash.

I really thought he'd get in last time due to the advertising of his game... And well, seeing as he became an AT, he almost made it. But here's hoping he goes all the way to playable character now.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Glad to see this thread once again!
And I'm still down for Takamaru in smash.

I really thought he'd get in last time due to the advertising of his game... And well, seeing as he became an AT, he almost made it. But here's hoping he goes all the way to playable character now.
Yeah. Those were good times. He definitely was close, that fateful day of Comic-Con raised so much hopes and they were sliced away with the Picture of the Day (that rhymes).

Though you're right, things should be better this time around when enough people know who Takamaru is thanks to his AT role and his game being a 3DS VC in the West. We could argue the same for Nintendo Land too since it was a popular Wii U launch title that readapted Murasame Castle as a mini game. Samurai Warriors 3 is debatable, but at least Nintendo felt he fits in the most with that universe compared to Link and others.

Anyways, welcome back Shin. I'll make you a member of our clan right away.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yeah. Those were good times. He definitely was close, that fateful day of Comic-Con raised so much hopes and they were sliced away with the Picture of the Day (that rhymes).

Though you're right, things should be better this time around when enough people know who Takamaru is thanks to his AT role and his game being a 3DS VC in the West. We could argue the same for Nintendo Land too since it was a popular Wii U launch title that readapted Murasame Castle as a mini game. Samurai Warriors 3 is debatable, but at least Nintendo felt he fits in the most with that universe compared to Link and others.

Anyways, welcome back Shin. I'll make you a member of our clan right away.
That's weird, I thought it was Wii U exclusive!

But yeah, fateful day for Taka. Hopefully he got the recognition he deserves this time around. Really want to see that dude in Smash.

I would have thought Takamaru's design would be something between his SW3 design and his Captain Rainbow design. But what we got for an AT is still perfectly good.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That's weird, I thought it was Wii U exclusive!

But yeah, fateful day for Taka. Hopefully he got the recognition he deserves this time around. Really want to see that dude in Smash.

I would have thought Takamaru's design would be something between his SW3 design and his Captain Rainbow design. But what we got for an AT is still perfectly good.
Murasame Castle did have a Wii U VC release, but they left it in Japan. Because Nintendo of America felt that the larger installbase of the 3DS could mean more sales. But nothing was stopping Nintendo from having both of them localized.

Yep. I'm still hoping for a new game that can help get him recognition. Though I would be more satisfied if Sakurai gives him another chance after realizing how popular he is in some parts of the world, even his homeland (Japan). He's definitely got some spots of Western notability thanks to the games I've mentioned.

A combination of those designs actually would be that bad, even if it's an alt. Though the one we have in Smash from the AT model is good enough. Not that it can't blame improved to be made less rough and fit in with the other fighters. Imagine how much more cool he would look with a better model. That would be worth having an avatar than his Smash trophy.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Speaking of designs..

Since I'm using my really old DA account again to upload stuff, I found these little relics I thought I'd share.

I know these last 3 are supposed to be a nod to 3 anime, being Rurouni Kenshin, Bleash, and I can't remember what was the last one.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Speaking of designs..

Since I'm using my really old DA account again to upload stuff, I found these little relics I thought I'd share.

I know these last 3 are supposed to be a nod to 3 anime, being Rurouni Kenshin, Bleash, and I can't remember what was the last one.
These are really nice.

I like the Kenshin and Ichigo alts. Not sure what the last one could be. Perhaps Peacemaker Kurogane?

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I can't believe I never replied to this thread.

Anyhow, ever since I played Murasame Castle, Takamaru's always been one of mine most wanted. Originally, I didn't have high hopes for his inclusion, due to his series never getting a revival, but Duck Hunt Dog kind of renders that argument irrelevant. Takamaru has the potential to be more than just a simple sword user; he has many tools in his games that would make him stand out.

I wrote a moveset for him long ago, so I might post it in here after getting it critiqued.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I can't believe I never replied to this thread.

Anyhow, ever since I played Murasame Castle, Takamaru's always been one of mine most wanted. Originally, I didn't have high hopes for his inclusion, due to his series never getting a revival, but Duck Hunt Dog kind of renders that argument irrelevant. Takamaru has the potential to be more than just a simple sword user; he has many tools in his games that would make him stand out.

I wrote a moveset for him long ago, so I might post it in here after getting it critiqued.
I think remember you along the lines of making a full moveset in the other group. Wouldn't mind seeing it posted here after some feedback.

And I can agree that there is more that Takamaru can do than just swordsmanship. He's a special kind of samurai. He's definitely a bit more known now, though the real challenge is hoping anything comes out of it. The Assist Trophy and Mii Fighter Costume are clear signs of it.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
There are three movesets in the OP, two being from Gwen and WeirdChilFever.

I can't tell if that one's from bksbestbwoy bksbestbwoy or Altais, though part of me thinks it belongs to the former since he helped make the OP.

Ether way, I would like to see Altais's Takamaru moveset if he still has it somewhere.

Michelaar

Smash Cadet
I definitly think Takamaru should be in the game. Just a simple assist trophy won't do. He could also use shuriken, to spice things up.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
There are three movesets in the OP, two being from Gwen and WeirdChilFever.

I can't tell if that one's from bksbestbwoy bksbestbwoy or Altais, though part of me thinks it belongs to the former since he helped make the OP.

Ether way, I would like to see Altais's Takamaru moveset if he still has it somewhere.
Yeah, that is BK's moveset alright. It was the first one he made for the OP too.

That being said, we'll be ready for your moveset if you can find it Altais.

I definitly think Takamaru should be in the game. Just a simple assist trophy won't do. He could also use shuriken, to spice things up.
And I can agree with your words Michelaar. He's a crazy type of swordsman that can used both close range and long range attacks. He can't really be a clone of any existing swordsman.

I'll add you to the support list.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Exactly.

I never really gotten the argument that Takamaru is a simple swordsman when he do much more. Even then, we NEVER had an Eastern swordsman in Smash with all the European ones we have (There's no way anyone can convince me that Link is a samurai).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Takamaru, the character that should've been a newcomer last time. I am still unsure how exactly he missed the boat. But yeah, guess that Duck Hunt in general was a more accesable game to the rest of the world.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Takamaru, the character that should've been a newcomer last time. I am still unsure how exactly he missed the boat. But yeah, guess that Duck Hunt in general was a more accesable game to the rest of the world.
Pretty much. With Takamaru, his game was never released in the West despite all the cameos he had post-Brawl. Meanwhile, Duck Hunt was a pretty iconic game that sold well for the NES in the Western market. And if we thank about it, Duck Hunt is the last major classic Nintendo character next to maybe Balloon Fighter if he gets another chance (which many point to Villager every time).

In some ways, Sakurai is rather hesitant since he wants the character to be more known to a Western audience first before adding him. At least The Mysterious Murasame Castle came to the West on the 3DS and Nintendo of America made a bg deal about it's release at the San Diego Comic-Con. Although that was unfortunately timed to be close to the day he was deconfirmed.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Pretty much. With Takamaru, his game was never released in the West despite all the cameos he had post-Brawl. Meanwhile, Duck Hunt was a pretty iconic game that sold well for the NES in the Western market. And if we thank about it, Duck Hunt is the last major classic Nintendo character next to maybe Balloon Fighter if he gets another chance (which many point to Villager every time).

In some ways, Sakurai is rather hesitant since he wants the character to be more known to a Western audience first before adding him. At least The Mysterious Murasame Castle came to the West on the 3DS and Nintendo of America made a bg deal about it's release at the San Diego Comic-Con. Although that was unfortunately timed to be close to the day he was deconfirmed.
Yeah because audiences knew Fire Emblem before Melee, am I right? There's no excuse to not add the good samurai at this point.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Yeah because audiences knew Fire Emblem before Melee, am I right? There's no excuse to not add the good samurai at this point.
Good old Sakurai and his Fire Emblem fanaticism

And you're right, next time would definitely be the best time to add him. With or without a new game.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Good old Sakurai and his Fire Emblem fanaticism

And you're right, next time would definitely be the best time to add him. With or without a new game.
And this is what annoys me about how the likes of Lip, Ayumi Tachibana, Donbe and Hikari, Takamaru, etc. are STILL not added to Smash. Who's to say that FE would have EVER come to the West without Smash? Honestly, it still bugs the heck out of me to this day.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
And this is what annoys me about how the likes of Lip, Ayumi Tachibana, Donbe and Hikari, Takamaru, etc. are STILL not added to Smash. Who's to say that FE would have EVER come to the West without Smash? Honestly, it still bugs the heck out of me to this day.
In other words, just Sakurai playing things safe since these characters are only known in Japan as opposed to being known to an international audience. he even said the same thing about Donbe in a Nintendo Dream article.

And Smash is definitely the reason why people even heard of Fire Emblem in the first place. Long before we even got Awakening.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I kinda bounce around a lot of places but wanted to stop by here and say I still support Takamaru and yes that unmarked moveset was from me eons ago at this point. lol

Glad to see people were able to find use out of my OP all this time later.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I kinda bounce around a lot of places but wanted to stop by here and say I still support Takamaru and yes that unmarked moveset was from me eons ago at this point. lol

Glad to see people were able to find use out of my OP all this time later.
Kind of had that feeling it was yours and I'm glad you confirmed it. Your OP for Takamaru is too good to get rid of. It addresses alot of important points about Takamaru and the arguments against him. The only real changes made were the colors, talking about how the new Smash 4 swordsman compare to him (Corrin, Roy, and Cloud), and Takamaru's Mii Fighter costume.

And it's fine if you are not all that active. We all have some things to do in life. Like me having to take care of Aussie who fell ill recently. But not to worry, we are still investigating how it happened.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Got to love @EmceeEspio and his ideas. The recent news about Nintendo having more unconventional IP's planned for 2018 doesn't help. But I'd rather not get my hopes up for a Murasame Switch that fast.

Is she all right? It's nothing serious, is it?
Let's talk about this more in a PM since we would rather not be off topic.

Top Bottom