• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hawk Samurai, Takamaru Ventures For Smash Switch (Operation #TakamaruForSamSho. See Page 26 for Details)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Added.

Bringing up an old subject again, which Murasame Castle enemies would you like to see in a mode similar to Smash Run?

Aussie does have some good ideas in the form of the Tengu and Bomb Shinobu. The ninjas are definitely the Goombas of Murasame Castle, thus making the most sense as shoo-ins.

Perhaps I would also suggest the Castle Bodyguards, who are deadlier with their bombs than the Shinobu and maybe do some close combat attacks given their roles.
If you are going for a Castle Bodygaurd, then the Bomb Shinobu is redundant. The Fire Shinobu however is unique enough to attack with his fireballs.

The ninjas are definitely needed. You can't have Takamaru without the ninjas (Though casuals keep calling him one).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
What about the maiden demons?
Hmmmnn, they would work. But part of their charm was to fool you into thinking the maiden could heal you when you found one in Murasame Castle

Not that it matters when the Glint Beetles don't drop sap in Smash Run either. I can see them being harder to kill than the Bubbles and having a lot of health to make up for it. They can easily chase you harder than the Orne if they want to.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Hmmmnn, they would work. But part of their charm was to fool you into thinking the maiden could heal you when you found one in Murasame Castle

Not that it matters when the Glint Beetles don't drop sap in Smash Run either. I can see them being harder to kill than the Bubbles and having a lot of health to make up for it. They can easily chase you harder than the Orne if they want to.
I mean you could have ones that DO heal you.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
True, that way the surprise factor can still be there when you happen to find the wrong maiden. That's a cool Easter Egg to the game that shouldn't be ignored if you do happened to include the vengeful Hannya.

Another thought, the ninjas would have to be as tricky as they were in the original. Blending in the background or settings, chasing you down with the internet of killing, jumping and flipping around to reach any location you attempt to hide in, wall clinging for that extra annoyance factor, and toss wave after wave of shirukens. Though most Smash Run enemies are annoying, I can see these color coded warriors being on a whole new level of crazy when added.

And I got most of that idea from the Ninjapes in Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and Ninjoes from Super Paper Mario.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
This would be a good idea. That way players can get a little spoiled until they run into the wrong geisha and deal with something just as worse as the Bulborb, Polar Bear, Bonkers, and Clubberskull. Having a lot of health and chasing you down until you're dead. It will definitely be fun. but frightening at the same time.

True, that way the surprise factor can still be there when you happen to find the wrong maiden. That's a cool Easter Egg to the game that shouldn't be ignored if you do happened to include the vengeful Hannya.

Another thought, the ninjas would have to be as tricky as they were in the original. Blending in the background or settings, chasing you down with the internet of killing, jumping and flipping around to reach any location you attempt to hide in, wall clinging for that extra annoyance factor, and toss wave after wave of shirukens. Though most Smash Run enemies are annoying, I can see these color coded warriors being on a whole new level of crazy when added.

And I got most of that idea from the Ninjapes in Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and Ninjoes from Super Paper Mario.
Great ideas. The ninjas should be just as agile and annoying to be true to their original roles. Good call on wall clinging, don't forget about taking inspiration from the Biosparks from Kirby. Even give them a fake death animation where they explode only for the real ninja to reappear in a different location.

The Ninjapes are piss easy, it's the Ninjoe's counterparts in the Pit of 100 Trials that are bad, especially the Ninjerries and Dark Ninjoes.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Even though we all know it should be his trademark ability, should he have the ability to stop/deflect projectile with all regular sword attacks? Or should it be best reserved for a special for balancing purposes?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Even though we all know it should be his trademark ability, should he have the ability to stop/deflect projectile with all regular sword attacks? Or should it be best reserved for a special for balancing purposes?
I think he should be able to redirect his own projectiles with all of his attacks, but only have a counter-special for the projectiles of others

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
While I think Takamaru is kinda cool, I personally can't justify including yet another swordsman in a game already infested with them.

I know that swords are an ubiquitous weapon in all of video games, but still. The overabundance of Fire Emblem characters alone makes him too stale. Maybe if we culled the amount of FE characters overall, then I'd support his inclusion.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
While I think Takamaru is kinda cool, I personally can't justify including yet another swordsman in a game already infested with them.

I know that swords are an ubiquitous weapon in all of video games, but still. The overabundance of Fire Emblem characters alone makes him too stale. Maybe if we culled the amount of FE characters overall, then I'd support his inclusion.
I think that's a silly argument to be honest. Even if he uses a sword, provided that they can give him unqiue attacks, I don't think that should be an issue. That's like saying we can't have another character, like say K. Rool, because there are too many characters that fight barehanded.

I partly get where you're coming from, but I think the issue with the FE characters is that 3 of them play extremely similarly given that Lucina and Roy are a clone and semi-clone of Marth respectively. Then we also have another clone in the form of Toon Link. Otherwise the characters who use swords have unique fighting styles.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

My main argument is that I just want the FE characters to go away. The fact that they make sword characters stale by playing so similarly is only partially the reason. It's more to do with the fact that the series has way too many reps who play too similar, and it's annoying for people like me who have no interest in the FE series and have other sword characters we'd be interested in seeing.

I know you think it's a silly argument, but having lots of characters with swords who play similarly lessens the impact of seeing new sword characters from other series. It cheapens their surprise factor, and makes their archetype of character seem stale in the eyes of people not familiar with them. I think the prospect of Takamaru is less exciting precisely because of all the sword characters that are already in the game. It's cheapened because we already have an idea of how he'll fight.

That's just how I see it, and you're free to disagree.

As long as Takamaru doesn't have a counter as his down B, I'm okay with him getting in. If he does have a counter then we have a problem.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
My main argument is that I just want the FE characters to go away. The fact that they make sword characters stale by playing so similarly is only partially the reason. It's more to do with the fact that the series has way too many reps who play too similar, and it's annoying for people like me who have no interest in the FE series and have other sword characters we'd be interested in seeing.

I know you think it's a silly argument, but having lots of characters with swords who play similarly lessens the impact of seeing new sword characters from other series. It cheapens their surprise factor, and makes their archetype of character seem stale in the eyes of people not familiar with them. I think the prospect of Takamaru is less exciting precisely because of all the sword characters that are already in the game. It's cheapened because we already have an idea of how he'll fight.

That's just how I see it, and you're free to disagree.

As long as Takamaru doesn't have a counter as his down B, I'm okay with him getting in. If he does have a counter then we have a problem.
Fair enough. I completely agree on the Counters though. Marth, Roy, Ike, Lucina, Corrin, Lucario, Greninja, Palutena, Peach, Little Mac, Shulk, Bayonetta, (and some would argue Ryu as well.)

My hope is that the clones gradually receive further changes as we've seen with characters like Ganondorf and Falco. And among those changes I'd definitely like to see some counters replaced. If it were up to me I'd only keep counters on Marth, Mac, Greninja, Shulk, and Bayonetta (and Ryu if you really want to count the Focus Attack.) Perhaps even less by giving Greninja Spikes or Mat Block and coming up with something else for Mac.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

One thing they could do is make counters a universal mechanic, but weaken it. So that death blows at high percentages do not get countered, and also, opponents who get countered are not frozen in place when it happens and they can still hit them with a quick attack. Sort of like V-Reversals in Street Fighter 5.

Since I played Street Fighter 4 regularly, I totally understand how Ryu's focus attack works and I don't consider it a counter. But um, we're getting off topic here.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
One thing they could do is make counters a universal mechanic, but weaken it. So that death blows at high percentages do not get countered, and also, opponents who get countered are not frozen in place when it happens and they can still hit them with a quick attack. Sort of like V-Reversals in Street Fighter 5.

Since I played Street Fighter 4 regularly, I totally understand how Ryu's focus attack works and I don't consider it a counter. But um, we're getting off topic here.
While I like the idea of scaling back the power of counters, I'm not sure how well it'd work as a universal mechanic. If that were the case then every character with a counter would need a replacement move, so for now I think simply cutting back on the characters that have counters would be the simpler solution. I think Marth should keep his due to how well it fits him, along with Shulk and Bayonetta whose counters are at least a bit more unique and a major part of their actual arsenals in their games.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I think he should be able to redirect his own projectiles with all of his attacks, but only have a counter-special for the projectiles of others
Sounds about right. He should naturally have full control over his own weaponry if someone reflects it at him. That way, a good player can't be screwed by their own attacks.

And saving that ability to reflect other's weaponry with a special is alright.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If anything, Takamaru's down special would most likely involve either lightning or his invisibility cloak.
Pretty much. You can't ignore one of the more unique weapons from Murasame Castle. It adds a bit more stealth to Takamaru's gameplay as a special. Not sure how different his lightning would be from Pikachu's.

Besides, nothing wrong with another Side Special counter like Mario. We've got enough Down Special counters to begin with.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Well, for the record most movesets of Takamaru's try to take the focus away from his sword as most have it sheathed. All of his specials would be unique in their own right as projectile, tornadoes, invisibility cloaks, etc. with him bringing out his sword with his normal and Smash attacks and since he is attacking from the sheathe all his attacks would be completely different from any other sword user. Just food for thought.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Plus, if he could reflect all of his own projectiles with his sword attacks (like a Down Air that sends a slow-moving, heavy hitting fireball towards a recovering opponent) his projectiles would get the focus with the sword being relegated to a means to give these projectiles more impact (maybe have the mechanic work a bit like the "Stasis" Rune in BoTW, where the same slow-moving projectile would gain some speed after a Forward Smash) or to capitalise on a trapped opponent with a deadly sword strike.

Ofcourse, the sword would be sheated normally, only coming out when the time is right

Also he would never have a counter because he needs all of his special slots for his projectiles.
Same how Isaac would never get a counter

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I agree with WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever 's idea alot. He would have to depend on sheathing alot to stay true to that iado fashion. And giving him the ability to deflect his own stuff other than others' (at least through normal attacks) would give him more competitive options for all the reflection happy fighters out there (Looking at you :4rob:, :4fox:, :4falco:, and:4mario:).

We want to make him as tricky of a fighter as possible so he won't be as predictable as your average For Glory Link player (No offense to those who do happen to main him).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I support, and only retro newcomer I want atm. Doubt I'd main him but still.
Welcome back PL. Added you since you're still an honorary ronin like the rest of us.

Anyone else missing?

I agree with WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever 's idea alot. He would have to depend on sheathing alot to stay true to that iado fashion. And giving him the ability to deflect his own stuff other than others' (at least through normal attacks) would give him more competitive options for all the reflection happy fighters out there (Looking at you :4rob:, :4fox:, :4falco:, and:4mario:).

We want to make him as tricky of a fighter as possible so he won't be as predictable as your average For Glory Link player (No offense to those who do happen to main him).
I'd argue that Mario and Spammus players are far more predictable in For Glory. But yeah, we want our samurai to be as flashy and skilled as possible instead of being a spam happy character with few defensive options. However Sakurai chooses to portray him, it would have to reflect Murasame Castle's fast paced action focused gameplay well (I mean the original of course since there is no reboot just yet).

It really makes me wonder, what is Kamiya working on after having to shutdown Scalebound because of typical Xbox miscommunication?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It really makes me wonder, what is Kamiya working on after having to shutdown Scalebound because of typical Xbox miscommunication?
Poor Scalebound. Not that I wanted to by an Xbox One just to play it.

I'm really curious on his next project too. Either he can be working on a new Murasame Castle at the moment or just giving us Bayonetta 3 first after the success of Bayonetta 2.

I'm excited for whichever new product he's making and I think it's going to be a wild ride. Even if he weren't making a brand new adventure for Takamaru, who else would do it?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Even if he weren't making a brand new adventure for Takamaru, who else would do it?
I beleive we' e discussed this multiple times.

Either Nintendo's in house studio can do it or they can have (controversial opinion) any Japanese developer handle it. Obviously not Skip Ltd. because they are far too small for that responsibility despite giving Takamaru character in Captain Rainbow.

There's Retro Studios, but I would rather wait until they get Metroid and DKC out of the way. Same thing goes for Next Level Games. Unless they have or are willing to go on this extensive Japanese cultural research during development, I don't think a Westeen developer handling Murasame Castle would be a good idea.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Tecmo Koei is the biggest bet for getting a new Murasame game considering they've worked with the IP before. Now whether it'd be Omega Force or Team Ninja handling it, I don't know. Omega Force seems to finally be stepping away from just making Warriors games though, so it's possible.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Tecmo Koei is the biggest bet for getting a new Murasame game considering they've worked with the IP before. Now whether it'd be Omega Force or Team Ninja handling it, I don't know. Omega Force seems to finally be stepping away from just making Warriors games though, so it's possible.
Agreed. Both of them are good options either way. Team Ninja takes care of Dead or Alive and the rebooted Ninja Gaiden titles while Omega Force is mostly Warriors (while recently doing new games lately). They would be a good fit since they are all about that Japanese culture and experience in developing action games.

Just don't go overboard with the fan service. We don't want to see the geishas with bouncy bits at all or Cia-esque characters as antagonists (a showy, flirtatious character that acts out just to get Takamaru's attention). Not very fitting IMO.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Some flirtation from the geishas given the time period wouldn't be all to bad. It makes it easier for you to encounter a vengeful spirit, making it all more terrifying than the original.

But yeah, anime tier tropes like nosebleeds or bouncy water balloons (Happy mods) shouldn't have a place in the reboot. Nothing wrong with having some light hearted moments or humor (Like maybe Takamaru getting insulted by tanuki), but the distracting fan service that Tecmo Koei is infamous for might drag the story down if it were to happen.

Oh, and no ridiculous leather costumes either. A villainess wearing Rachel's attire would definitely look too out of place in Murasame Castle's setting. Cia is alright, but we don't need a character like her in that universe. Just go for the rival kunoichi idea that @bksbestbwoy suggested. The character development and behavior would feel more natural that way.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
This is nothing new, but Did You Know Gaming made a new Smash video and mentioned Takamaru once again.

And I thought the reason for him not being there was "lack of Western familarity" as opposed to "no Western representation". Must be another mistranslation.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
This is nothing new, but Did You Know Gaming made a new Smash video and mentioned Takamaru once again.

And I thought the reason for him not being there was "lack of Western familarity" as opposed to "no Western representation". Must be another mistranslation.
Pretty sure both are the same thing. It's probably their way of explaining it properly so people wouldn't get confused. No representation in the West (while somewhat untrue since Samurai Warriors 3 and Nintendo Land were a thing), is accurate enough since the game was finally brought to the 3DS far too late during Smash's development. They would have made him a character if for a little early promotion, but it was far too big of a risk for them to take or he never would have knew the game would be bought Westward.

That being said, times definitely changed since then. The game was localized and the Assist Trophy somewhat helps him alot. Either he needs another consideration or juts a new game in general to push that further. The latter is something we have a long time to wait for with so few good candidates that can be working on it (Team Ninja, Platinum Games, etc).

At least the video gave credit to SourceGaming for their information.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Pretty sure both are the same thing. It's probably their way of explaining it properly so people wouldn't get confused. No representation in the West (while somewhat untrue since Samurai Warriors 3 and Nintendo Land were a thing), is accurate enough since the game was finally brought to the 3DS far too late during Smash's development. They would have made him a character if for a little early promotion, but it was far too big of a risk for them to take or he never would have knew the game would be bought Westward.

That being said, times definitely changed since then. The game was localized and the Assist Trophy somewhat helps him alot. Either he needs another consideration or juts a new game in general to push that further. The latter is something we have a long time to wait for with so few good candidates that can be working on it (Team Ninja, Platinum Games, etc).

At least the video gave credit to SourceGaming for their information.
Even if Takamaru were included in Smash 4 at the time, he probably would have gotten hate for being a swordsman. Remember the initial backlash with Shulk's inclusion? Imagine if Takamaru were added after that in addition to the Fire Emblem characters we have now.

Speaking of which, casuals would also mistaken him for a Fire Emblem character because of his obscurity. Probably add more fuel to the fire of the Fire Emblem overrepresentation. Or maybe that's me overspeculating right now.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
"Another blue-haired FE swordsman?"

"He's literally Link but with blue hair! I hate dumb clone characters."

"Great, now with this Takamoron added, we have 9 FE characters- Marth, Muscular Marth, Red Marth, Girl Marth, that magical poseur, that nerd from the weebiest game in existence, Cloud, Cloud's lamer cousin and now this guy. SAMURAIIIIIIII"

"All these anime characters in my Smash Bros. Remember when we had real Nintendo characters before it now suddenly turning into another lame anime game. Japan Bias thoroughly confirmed."

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The backlash would come from a VERY small minority though. Like 90% of speculative SmashBoards knows who Takamaru is and at least 70% are totally fine with him getting in. The minority that doesn't want him in are entitled assholes who only want who they want and no one else. Using other people's anger towards certain types of characters is not a reason for him to not be included. He has enough people backing him and the fact of confirmed consideration to warrant him getting in. That's enough for me. Hopefully it'll happen one of these days.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

"Great, now with this Takamoron added, we have 9 FE characters- Marth, Muscular Marth, Red Marth, Girl Marth, that magical poseur, that nerd from the weebiest game in existence, Cloud, Cloud's lamer cousin and now this guy. SAMURAIIIIIIII"

"All these anime characters in my Smash Bros. Remember when we had real Nintendo characters before it now suddenly turning into another lame anime game. Japan Bias thoroughly confirmed."
You hit the nail on the head.

Very very accurate.

The backlash would come from a VERY small minority though. Like 90% of speculative SmashBoards knows who Takamaru is and at least 70% are totally fine with him getting in. The minority that doesn't want him in are entitled ******** who only want who they want and no one else. Using other people's anger towards certain types of characters is not a reason for him to not be included. He has enough people backing him and the fact of confirmed consideration to warrant him getting in. That's enough for me. Hopefully it'll happen one of these days.
This. Does Sakurai legitimately care about the vocal minority that are against a certain character? Maybe if we remember what happened with Pichu.

But he would add Takamaru for his own merits other than being a token swordsman. The entitled ones are probably the same people that ask for impossible characters anyway or casuals at best. We can only hope that he is still on Sakurai's mind when he's been mentioned several times before. He just needs a new game or to break out of that Assist Trophy like Mac did.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Is it wrong that I laughed at how hilariously accurate these quotes are?

I can actually picture them happening for real.

This. Does Sakurai legitimately care about the vocal minority that are against a certain character? Maybe if we remember what happened with Pichu.

But he would add Takamaru for his own merits other than being a token swordsman. The entitled ones are probably the same people that ask for impossible characters anyway or casuals at best. We can only hope that he is still on Sakurai's mind when he's been mentioned several times before. He just needs a new game or to break out of that Assist Trophy like Mac did.
R.I.P. Pichu.

You definitely bring up great points. He would rather focus on fan demand and the merits a character have than what weapon they wield or because he's "anime".

Even if most of the swordsmen he had were removed, the complaints still would have happened if Takamaru came by.

In the end of the day, Sakurai is boss. He can choose whether or not he wants Takamaru regardless of "sword-ism".

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
In the end of the day, Sakurai is boss. He can choose whether or not he wants Takamaru regardless of "sword-ism".
Did you seriously say "sword-ism"?

Well, it's close enough since there is clear discrimination against sword users.

Better than sword-phobia.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Did you seriously say "sword-ism"?

Well, it's close enough since there is clear discrimination against sword users.

Better than sword-phobia.
I could do without seeing more "-isms" and "-phobias", but that's just me.

Back on topic though, the whole argument against sword users has never made much sense to me. Even if two characters use a similar weapon it's all in how they actually use/wield said weapon. It's no different than if people suddenly started complaining that too many characters in Street Fighter use kicks (which is pretty much everyone except Balrog and Dudley.)

The complaint more than likely stems from the likes of :4link::4tlink: and :4marth::4feroy::4lucina: playing similarly. And if people just want them to be differentiated more that's a valid complaint, but otherwise all the characters who use swords and aren't clones/semi-clones by design play differently.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I could do without seeing more "-isms" and "-phobias", but that's just me.

Back on topic though, the whole argument against sword users has never made much sense to me. Even if two characters use a similar weapon it's all in how they actually use/wield said weapon. It's no different than if people suddenly started complaining that too many characters in Street Fighter use kicks (which is pretty much everyone except Balrog and Dudley.)

The complaint more than likely stems from the likes of :4link::4tlink: and :4marth::4feroy::4lucina: playing similarly. And if people just want them to be differentiated more that's a valid complaint, but otherwise all the characters who use swords and aren't clones/semi-clones by design play differently.
Yeah, we can do without them TBH.

Spot on argument though. It's about how they use the weapon and what is their fighting style rather than because they sue a sword. This was an argument that @bksbestbwoy made sure to address in the OP that you see here.

:4myfriends: being the big burly European swordsman with slower stronger strikes. :4link: being a jack of all trades with the standard swordsmanship we all know and love along with his trademark "stuff". :4marth: as the closest thing we will ever get to a fencer with a heavy reliance on how great his tip is in combat. :4corrin: with his spearing attacks from shapeshifting and other unorthodox sword strikes from his Omega Yato (doubling as a chainsaw nonetheless). :4robinm: with his focus on weapon durability and magic in addition to the standard elemental swordsmanship. And :4shulk: with his Monado powers dictating his overall stats despite being a slightly quicker "heavy swordsman" than Ike.

It's definitely the clones/semi-clones that sour the bunch having little to help making themselves standout. But that's because they were appetizers to help buff the roster up and some do have their merits (like :4lucina: and :4tlink:'s popularity). The detractors shook focus more on these factors than "lol swordsmen are so copy paste boring in Smash". Even if those clones were removed, they would still complain regardless.

Takamaru would be our first truly Japanese swordsman, focusing on quick strikes and stealthy attacks with the art of iado. No other character can really bring that to the table, than say Impa (But that depends if Sakurai would choose her Hyrule Warriors counterpart in Smash) or maybe the Wandering Samurai from Rhythm Heaven (Who's got far too much competition with other characters in the series). He also come with his own set of tools that are different from link, the invisibility cloak and the shoji pines that help determine how he throws his ranged weapons (fireballs or knives). This is the part of Takamaru's character that his detractors would need to focus on. A katana is nowhere near close to being wield the same way Link's Master Sword or Ike's Ragnell currently does.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Takamaru would be a great addition. Still think so, always will. A much better retro addition than the Ice Climbers could ever be. Swords aren't boring. And I remember a time when we all thought Takamaru was one of the most likely newcomers. Still sort of dissapointed he was never playable in Smash for Wii U.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Takamaru would be a great addition. Still think so, always will. A much better retro addition than the Ice Climbers could ever be. Swords aren't boring. And I remember a time when we all thought Takamaru was one of the most likely newcomers. Still sort of dissapointed he was never playable in Smash for Wii U.
See, you get it. Swords aren't boring unless their styles are similar and even Taka has enough tricks up his sleeve. Shame Sakurai wanted to play things safe when most of his audience would have been confused with his addition (even with those cameos). Maybe next time he can rise from the sun.

Added you, Diddy.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I actually have Murasame Castle for my GBA. It's pretty good fam. I support Takamaru.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I actually have Murasame Castle for my GBA. It's pretty good fam. I support Takamaru.
Out of curiosity, was the Game Boy Advance region free at the time or you had a Japanese GBA?

Either way, Murasame Castle was a fun ride if you knew what you are doing and avoiding ways getting killed (I definitely had fun playing it four times by now). I just wonder how well they would readapt it in a modern setting, whether it's a full on action game or keep the semi-shooter elements it was known for.

Added.

Top Bottom