• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~// The Hawaii Thread \\~ V2.0

Darkmusician

Smash Master
shoyo go stick to your noob *** zelgadis fox ****.
Listen to Master Chun Yin. He knows what he speaks of.

And what Tom said. Anybody that didn't go to 0c3 and wants to make jokes about bombsoldier in fun or otherwise has to answer to me. I'm very serious about this.

And no character "sucks." Each character just has limitations wether it be reach, speed, power, priority, vitality, adaptability or weight. In the right hands and with the right mind, every character can be used to it's fullest potential while still in the boundaries of it's respective limitations. Knowing these limitations is key to being successful with bottom/low tiers, or any character for that matter. It helps to draw out potential while keeping things in perspective.

I suggest we put any other debates on characters, players, or other technical aspects of the game on hold until this week friday. It would be a pointless waste of thread space. Team Hawaii will answer any questions and settle all doubts then. Well at least I will anyway.

No problem Atlus. We were glad to help in anyway possible.

Tom, I want to team with you on the next fest for doubles. Our combination is unique and effective. When I don't hit you on accident. lolz

soranaka

Smash Journeyman
And no character "sucks." Each character just has limitations wether it be reach, speed, power, priority, vitality, adaptability or weight.
i think it's because you take offense to the word suck, but limitations (ie inability) generally categorically define suck. it sucks that peach dies from upsmashes at 80%. if peach also had really sucky moves, a sucky falling speed and sucky everything else, then how could you not say she sucks?

obviously everyone has some things going both for and against them, but equally obvious should be the fact that some characters are innately better then others (based, for example, on the limitations provided above). therefore, by comparison, some characters suck harder then other characters. and therefore, some characters suck compared to other characters.

when someone says kirby sucks it doesn't mean kirby can't win. it means that compared to the rest of the cast (the only basis for comparision) kirby is innately disadvantaged.

i'm slightly intoxicated, so this may not make a whole lotta sense...

mellowD

Smash Apprentice
no character "sucks." Each character just has limitations wether it be reach, speed, power, priority, vitality, adaptability or weight. In the right hands and with the right mind, every character can be used to it's fullest potential while still in the boundaries of it's respective limitations. Knowing these limitations is key to being successful with bottom/low tiers, or any character for that matter. It helps to draw out potential while keeping things in perspective.

I suggest we put any other debates on characters, players, or other technical aspects of the game on hold until this week friday. It would be a pointless waste of thread space. Team Hawaii will answer any questions and settle all doubts then. Well at least I will anyway.
i like this statement

mellowD

Smash Apprentice
lol joels drunk!
now im thirsty....terrence you stil workin on the whole throwing up bit?

mellowD

Smash Apprentice
i think it's because you take offense to the word suck, but limitations (ie inability) generally categorically define suck. it sucks that peach dies from upsmashes at 80%. if peach also had really sucky moves, a sucky falling speed and sucky everything else, then how could you not say she sucks?

obviously everyone has some things going both for and against them, but equally obvious should be the fact that some characters are innately better then others (based, for example, on the limitations provided above). therefore, by comparison, some characters suck harder then other characters. and therefore, some characters suck compared to other characters.

when someone says kirby sucks it doesn't mean kirby can't win. it means that compared to the rest of the cast (the only basis for comparision) kirby is innately disadvantaged.

i'm slightly intoxicated, so this may not make a whole lotta sense...

i agree with you on this

FireFly

Smash Lord
when someone says kirby sux they should see the full potential of kirby

kirby doesnt suck, and i think i can make a small kirby combo video with some of the footage i have

Fefnir Cerveau

Smash Lord
****ing eugene haha

Joel's too good. I think he summed up this antsy mood going right now with the jokes and the people being all serious due to some crap that went on up in 0C3.

From someone I talked to:
some characters suck
some people play characters that suck more than others
some people that play characters that suck hear people talking about how much their character sucks
so they take offense to that as an attack meaning they suck
to defend themselves, they say their sucky character doesn't suck
as a way of saying they don't suck

Edit: Tom, I've seen Kirby Kid's kirby, and I think it's awsome. Best Kirby I've seen(this was June 2007? Idk, but recent). Maybe he's greater than awsome and I shouldn't even give an opinion on how great he is by a video, but still awsome. I just think that Kirby ]isn't as good as say, Marth, or Sheik, or Fox, or Falco or other "better" character, due to his lack in some of the things mentioned earlier on. Maybe a Fox with the "full potential" you speak of doesn't suck as much as a Kirby with his "full potential". Every character sucks in someone's opinion for one reason or another, why can't character X suck a bit more than character Y?

Gomi: Don't worry about it, we're just throwing some opinions around. Nice to meetcha. You from Hawaii?

soranaka

Smash Journeyman
when someone says kirby sux they should see the full potential of kirby
i'm not saying kirby can't do awesome combos or win.

i'm saying that "kirby's full potential" is going to be less then fox, falco, marth, sheik, etc.
if it isn't, then kirby doesn't suck.

as stated, suck is relative. therefore, because everyone is not even, some people have to be good and some have to suck.

mellowD

Smash Apprentice
but hey even if the say character sucks or lacks full potential dosent it make u feel soo good winning with it?
anywho lets end this jerry springer here coz i think its ok to have characters that with different strengths and weaknesses otherwise everycharacter would be the same and boring

Oshiro

Smash Journeyman
No way, red does. Notice the pichu in avatar is in red costume! (i would've shopped the pichu in the sig, but thats too hard >_>;;) RED FOR TOP TIRE!

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
thank you oshiro for that color ****. made me laugh a bit.

maybe it's just that when i saw shoyo's post i got this cocky shoyo face in my head that made me very angry. because shoyo doesn't know any better.

i have no problem when shoyo make the statement saying that kirby sucks. it does suck. it was crazykirbykid that makes it move like a god tier. mad propz to that. about your yoshi cg, just because you could do that **** to a lvl 9 yoshi easy, it doesn't mean ****. go watch cj vs svampen on FD. he just DIed out of the first grab, easy as that.

if anything, you can quote me on this. your tech skill sucks. i haven't seen you waveshine anything in a real match before. i just hate it when you give big talks but you have no idea, son. but i forgive you because you never went to oc3 with us. all you got is vids, and they are 30 frames per sec which means you are actually watching it in slow mode. you need to stop focusing too much on the hawaii standard of playing. you are just putting limits on yourself.

it was really good seeing how players are using their characters to their full potential.

although it was all out of anger but you guys have posted a lot. that's some real discussiong there. keep that **** up and we shall all get better.

sorry for bad english.

team china out.

Fefnir Cerveau

Smash Lord
Haha, cocky shoyo face wtf. I need to look in the mirror more often

Just cuz CJ messed up once, doesn't prove Sheik can't cg yoshi to about 0-whatever. 65% ish, I think.

Fyi, I can waveshine a Samus(without DIing away), and drill waveshine.

Tom, this is the past and everything, but you're pretty much the only one that says Kirby doesn't suck(besides Bobby maybe, but he has his bottom tier pride(I did not say people who play bottom tiers suck either, like Joel said, just bottom tier characters aren't as good as top tiers, but it is player skill in the end, yes it is)). I know this won't get processed by you, but yeah, just pointing it out.

soranaka

Smash Journeyman
all you got is vids, and they are 30 frames per sec which means you are actually watching it in slow motion.
i don't understand video lingo, but this is too tempting to double-check...

what weighs more, a pound of bricks or of feathers?

what goes faster, a second with 30 frames or a second with 60?

indie_dave

Smash Ace
umbreon mow sez:
"i'd rather fight jigglypuff then kirby any day"

everybody else sed:
"wtf!? what makes u sayz that?"

umbreon mow sed:
"joel isai alvarado"

kick rocks
deuces

Darkmusician

Smash Master
First of all if you're going to give me feedback I'd rather it be when you are all sober. But I do appreciate the discussion. The more we talk about this kind of stuff the more we will all learn more. So i think this is a good thing.

Terence "I have to say" that Shoyo does not have ****ty tech skill. I truely believe that his fox is better than my Zelda and will beat me more than it will lose to me. It takes tech skill to do the automatic anti Zelda combos. Shoyo is a solid player, and I pheer him.

I think we all get the basic idea on this topic of bottom tiers "sucking", but I think I would just prefer that we use something a little less harsh and hurtful than suck. I would rather people just say, not as good. Cause all characters are good, just not as some of the others. I have seen Gimpyfishes Bowser, I have seen Tajs Mewtwo, and I have seen Simnas Ness. They are very good, but just not as good as some other characters. I saw them lose their fair share of matches.

And yes I have bottom tier pride because I know what they are capable of, but now I am aware of my limitations, so I am no totally devestated when I am beat out by top tiers. In the end, it is Zelda, and I still have alot of growing to do. I will probably write a Zelda guide for everyone out there that truly wants to improve on her exclusively. I doubt many other people could main Zelda for all of 0c3 and still place in the top 80-100 in singles.

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
Haha, cocky shoyo face wtf. I need to look in the mirror more often

Just cuz CJ messed up once, doesn't prove Sheik can't cg yoshi to about 0-whatever. 65% ish, I think.

Fyi, I can waveshine a Samus(without DIing away), and drill waveshine.
CJ didn't messed up, yoshi could DI away then double jump to escape. so if you could cg that usually means bad DI.

and your samus thing is cool, but do it in a real match now.

TerenceLau

Smash Ace

a sec has 60 frames, and vids with 30 frames per sec meaning that you are actually missing something in between.

FireFly

Smash Lord
Tom, this is the past and everything, but you're pretty much the only one that says Kirby doesn't suck(besides Bobby maybe, but he has his bottom tier pride(I did not say people who play bottom tiers suck either, like Joel said, just bottom tier characters aren't as good as top tiers, but it is player skill in the end, yes it is)). I know this won't get processed by you, but yeah, just pointing it out.
i play all characters!

Fuzzylittlbunny

Smash Journeyman

That second question is supposed to be what weighs more: a pound of gold or a pound of feathers? And of course the answer is obvious... a pound of feathers.

Fefnir Cerveau

Smash Lord
Thanks Bobby haha, but yeah, that's what Joel(?) and I were getting at. Oshiro too, but he didn't contribute to the discussion argh! But he was funny so we all forgive him =)
It was supposed to be how good a player is, but characters have limitations, just that top tiers didn't have as much limitations as bottom tiers, so in someone's opinion, a bottom tier is not as good. The player could be godly, yes, we all know. A Godly Fox player like PC just might beat the best mewtwo in the world more often.

The video is as recorded. Wouldn't what you're saying make it so that a match that took 5 mins won't be 5 mins if you watch it on youtube? Even if the video is based off 30 frames, they are both 1 second each, so I'm sure everything that occured is on taped accordingly.

The samus thing, in a real match, waveshining a Samus is a ******** thing to do. I'll just do it on someone that makes more sense.
Oshiro, I'll challenge you for the hell of it.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Thanks Bobby haha, but yeah, that's what Joel(?) and I were getting at. Oshiro too, but he didn't contribute to the discussion argh! But he was funny so we all forgive him =)
It was supposed to be how good a player is, but characters have limitations, just that top tiers didn't have as much limitations as bottom tiers, so in someone's opinion, a bottom tier is not as good. The player could be godly, yes, we all know. A Godly Fox player like PC just might beat the best mewtwo in the world more often.

The video is as recorded. Wouldn't what you're saying make it so that a match that took 5 mins won't be 5 mins if you watch it on youtube? Even if the video is based off 30 frames, they are both 1 second each, so I'm sure everything that occured is on taped accordingly.

The samus thing, in a real match, waveshining a Samus is a ******** thing to do. I'll just do it on someone that makes more sense.
Oshiro, I'll challenge you for the hell of it.
Agreed Papa Shoyo. In the future lets not call a character sucky unless we've actually taken the time to main the character. That's all I ask.

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
just nvm my 30 frames and 60 frames thing. it was a bad arguement. i was trying to say that watching vid and watching real live action is totally different. that's why judging from vids is not accurate, in my opinion that is.

and if you could waveshine a samus or any other character in training, it doesn't mean anything. because in a real match DI is part of the factor too. yet i haven't seen you waveshine any ws-able characters in real matches. show me that tech skill son.

edit: bring $40 for your r4.

Fefnir Cerveau

Smash Lord
Haha, nah Bobby, you just ****. No luck

Yeah, r4. You were gonna teach me how to use it right, team china? Dude, I just had a junk idea. We should play ***(variation of horse(shorter)) and see who'll get *****. Like I do something, and you try to do it after. See if you can do my crap and if I can do yours.

Edit: Hot asian girls you say? You came to the right thread

Top Bottom