• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Contrary to what Matt Bozon has said in the past, Shantae actually isn't the original indie darling.

I say this because I just remembered that Touhou Project turns 20 this year.
But does Touhou really have a primary, central protagonist? Doesn't seem to be the kind of genre that would have one. There's a reason I make the argument that there's no real "Icon" to choose from Final Fantasy whenever people discuss Square Enix reps; I think the same concept might apply here.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
But does Touhou really have a primary, central protagonist? Doesn't seem to be the kind of genre that would have one. There's a reason I make the argument that there's no real "Icon" to choose from Final Fantasy whenever people discuss Square Enix reps; I think the same concept might apply here.
Reimu is considered the main protagonist. She appears as the main character in a majority of the games, with Marisa being the "Luigi" between them, and other characters that are playable in the main titles, such as Sakuya, Sanae, and recently Reisin, usually are there to tag along for their own needs. The only exceptions are the fighting games and other .5 (or any other number) titles, as those are usually side-stories centered around other characters, such as Aya or Cirno.

Last edited:

FrontsideMisty

Smash Rookie
NNID
FrontsideMisty
Man I'm so late to this thread but I'm finally here i guess. Hopefully we get a Nintendo direct soon the wait is killing me and i don't think i can last any longer without some smash bros news.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
The roster's done!
image.jpg

I'm getting to the point where I'd rather have this game than either characters in Smash. :B

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
Man I'm so late to this thread but I'm finally here i guess. Hopefully we get a Nintendo direct soon the wait is killing me and i don't think i can last any longer without some smash bros news.
You and the rest of the entire Smash fanbase... seriously if their suppose to build of up hype their losing it there's 2 weeks left in October HOPEFULLY we hear something before this month ends

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Speaking of an actual game...

Can we get this buzzing on social media? Probably by showing to Yacht Club, Wayforward/Matt Bozon, and other indie devs on twitter?

Think about it:

If Shantae, Shovel Knight, or any indies for that matter, get into Smash (which is what will most likely happen, sadly), this could certainly have devs consider this a very good "Plan B."

There would be more indie characters, more positive feedback, almost no move-based restrictions, allowing the characters to show that they're truly capable of, and would probably be capable of reaching a larger audience outside of owners of Nintendo systems.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
To be fair, Peacock is the more popular character then the protagonist Filia.
If we were going by popular characters from the games these characters are from, that roster would be vastly different than it is now. For example, Lilac there. Apparently Spade is more popular than her, if not the most popular character in that game. Which is sad considering nearly everyone is held above Lilac herself, despite being the most fun in Freedom Planet in terms of gameplay.

This was even made apparent by the fact that two Freedom Planet cameos were made in other indie games so far, and neither were Lilac. The first one was, that's right, Spade. He appears in Indie Assault. Basically a not so exciting Smash Bros clone with extremely niche indie game characters. Second one being the obvious one, since there was a post in this thread about it. That being Carol in Super Indie Karts.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
If we were going by popular characters from the games these characters are from, that roster would be vastly different than it is now. For example, Lilac there. Apparently Spade is more popular than her, if not the most popular character in that game. Which is sad considering nearly everyone is held above Lilac herself, despite being the most fun in Freedom Planet in terms of gameplay.

This was even made apparent by the fact that two Freedom Planet cameos were made in other indie games so far, and neither were Lilac. The first one was, that's right, Spade. He appears in Indie Assault. Basically a not so exciting Smash Bros clone with extremely niche indie game characters. Second one being the obvious one, since there was a post in this thread about it. That being Carol in Super Indie Karts.
(Dude.

You know this roster is fake right

that's actually kindof flattering)

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
(Dude.

You know this roster is fake right

that's actually kindof flattering)
Don't flatter yourself. I know it's fake. Lmfao. I've been talking about an Indie Smash with friends for ages now bro. Finally glad to see some people with a genuine interest in such a thing.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Don't flatter yourself. I know it's fake. Lmfao. I've been talking about an Indie Smash with friends for ages now bro. Finally glad to see some people with a genuine interest in such a thing.
My idea is less of a Smash Bros clone, which are usually mediocre, at best, but more of a traditional 2D Arcade fighter.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
My idea is less of a Smash Bros clone, which are usually mediocre, at best, but more of a traditional 2D Arcade fighter.
Well the Project M devs have recently started a company of their own called Wavedash Studios, or something. They haven't revealed the game they are making. But I'm in high hopes that they would consider making an Indie Cross Smash, or something along the lines of it. If not, oh well. I'm not really looking forward to another "Rivals of Aether".

As for a 2D Arcade Fighter, I'd probably be down with that as well. I've always been a fan of fighting games. Street Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Skullgirls, Garou, MvC, TvC, BlazBlue, ect. I've dabbled quite a bit into fighters.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Well the Project M devs have recently started a company of their own called Wavedash Studios, or something. They haven't revealed the game they are making. But I'm in high hopes that they would consider making an Indie Cross Smash, or something along the lines of it. If not, oh well. I'm not really looking forward to another "Rivals of Aether".

As for a 2D Arcade Fighter, I'd probably be down with that as well. I've always been a fan of fighting games. Street Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Skullgirls, Garou, MvC, TvC, BlazBlue, ect. I've dabbled quite a bit into fighters.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I just don't want a game that's basically these two, with indies slapped onto it.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
View attachment 78564 View attachment 78565
I just don't want a game that's basically these two, with indies slapped onto it.
It all really depends on who develops it honestly. I know the Project M team would most likely not disappoint as far as gameplay is concerned. It is just a matter of who is willing to task themselves to gain the licenses of all the big indie stars on the market, which I personally think wouldn't be as much of a struggle as people make it out to be. But who knows. I just want to see it happen.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Does trying to beat Shantae & the Pirate's Curse with a fight stick count as a challenge run?
image.jpg
because i'm about to do that

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Anyone know how that phrase caught on? because I've seen it used a lot for fictional characters,
(but yes Shantae is a precious cinnamon roll too good for this world)
Shantae is kindof like a cinnamon roll.

She's small, brown, sweet, can always brighten up your day, and is adored by almost everyone who's sat down and spent time with her.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Shantae is kindof like a cinnamon roll.

She's small, brown, sweet, can always brighten up your day, and is adored by almost everyone who's sat down and spent time with her.
So I think this is where it started:

and what it resulted in:

Honestly it amazes me that a phrase like this can become popular used in a different way like this, memes amirite?

Last edited:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Well it's been two weeks now, which is the time frame Stealth claimed for the next character drop, and still nothing. I think we can add Stealth to the list of discredited "leakers" now, along with Tamaki and the many random less notable ones along the way.

That means the current rumor rests basically on the word of Sean Hicks, who is involved with Smashified, and RogersBase. Frankly I am increasingly skeptical of both of them, and I was not exactly buying it from the start. This whole rumor is increasingly seeming like a bust. Too many people who want easy subscribers claiming they've got an uncle at Nintendo, if you ask me. I doubt anyone outside of Nintendo higher ups and Sakurai's circle really has a clue.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Well it's been two weeks now, which is the time frame Stealth claimed for the next character drop, and still nothing. I think we can add Stealth to the list of discredited "leakers" now, along with Tamaki and the many random less notable ones along the way.

That means the current rumor rests basically on the word of Sean Hicks, who is involved with Smashified, and RogersBase. Frankly I am increasingly skeptical of both of them, and I was not exactly buying it from the start. This whole rumor is increasingly seeming like a bust. Too many people who want easy subscribers claiming they've got an uncle at Nintendo, if you ask me. I doubt anyone outside of Nintendo higher ups and Sakurai's circle really has a clue.
image.jpg

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice

*Sigh* Of course they would call the company "Wavedash" Studios.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Oh, right, almost forgot to post this here.

So, the same developers that did Skullgirls made this game here.

Imo, I'm really liking how they managed the 2Dx3D here, and honestly, I would like it if these devs teamed up with Wayforward to add more power into the artwork for the Shantae series based on Half Genie Hero, and personally, if they took the proportion route of Shantae's render art than her chibi style for HGH kind of games, I think it could be pretty cool.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
*Sigh* Of course they would call the company "Wavedash" Studios.
What depresses me even more that a team of modders who made a very minor alterations to a game now think they are 100% capable of progamming their own.

It's not like Freedom Planet or Mega Man Perfect harmony (which was made into The Dream King), fangames with their engines made from scratch that were made into original games, the game these maniacs think they can make was based on a minor mod.
Oh, right, almost forgot to post this here.

So, the same developers that did Skullgirls made this game here.

Imo, I'm really liking how they managed the 2Dx3D here, and honestly, I would like it if these devs teamed up with Wayforward to add more power into the artwork for the Shantae series based on Half Genie Hero, and personally, if they took the proportion route of Shantae's render art than her chibi style for HGH kind of games, I think it could be pretty cool.
I WANT TO BACK IT BUT I NEED MONEY FOR FOOD

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg

If anyone here has a twitter account, can we ship this off to Yacht Club, Wayforward/Matt Bozon, and possibly the other indie devs with characters on this roster?

Who knows, if we get this ball rolling, it could probably happen.

Mainly because... Let's face it: The chances for characters like Shantae and Shovel Knight, let alone based on a glorified suggestion box, are very slim. Even if they did get in, while some of us would be happy, the salt would be more abundant than the amount that any other newcomer the roster has recieved, even for characters that are completely optional to add to your copy of the game.

A fighter (preferably a 2D arcade fighter) with just indies actually holds a lot more potential. The feedback would most likely be more positive, there would be more characters, there would be more opprotunities to show what these characters are truly capable of, especially in Shantae's case, with all her unecessary backlash, and it has the potential to reach a much wider audience.

But that's just me.

Last edited:

GP2

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. I guess we'll see next week. I'm pretty sure this is fake but man some of the stuff on that list would be awesome.
I won't be satisfied until they reveal shantae and the other dlc characters for smash. I really hope they do it soon.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
So I watched the newest Etika video and found yet another rumor going about. This time it tells about this guy who shaved off four pixels of the smash 3ds character select screen portraits and found room for SIX more characters!
Here's his source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3oyjtf/the_smash_3ds_character_select_screen_can_fit/
Looking through that reddit thread, they pretty easily found room for six extra characters on the Wii U screen too.

It's probably coincidence, granted, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being true. Six characters from the ballot sounds fair.

goatman2112

Smash Rookie
I won't be satisfied until they reveal shantae and the other dlc characters for smash. I really hope they do it soon.
They Hype is getting to me, i'm here multiple times a day, checking r/smashbros, twitter, youtube, anywhere.

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
Looking through that reddit thread, they pretty easily found room for six extra characters on the Wii U screen too.

It's probably coincidence, granted, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being true. Six characters from the ballot sounds fair.
To be honest, I was kind of expecting about 3-5 characters. I felt more than that might have been a bit much, BUT I guess if it's possible than by all means go for it.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I can't stop listen to this. When does this game come out again?
Also, I'm buying Pirates Curse for the 3DS in holiday/xmas period. Hopefully there's a sale.

Top Bottom