• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Man but can Sakurai at LEAST let us know which characters he chose for the DLC because at least they told use about Mewtwo's inclusion months before he was available to download.
Maybe they're pulling a royu and surprise releasing characters?

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Considering all the Japanese related stuff Shantae has been going through, the pictures seem alot more fitting now. (Not that they weren't before mind you).
Hooray for the incoming waves of adorable japanese Shantae stuff when Pirate's Curse comes out there.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I have no idea how people can honestly hate Shantae

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Look how cute

You can't tell me you don't want to play as her

or hug her

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Man but can Sakurai at LEAST let us know which characters he chose for the DLC because at least they told use about Mewtwo's inclusion months before he was available to download.
There's a difference there, Mewtwo was revealed ahead of time to reveal that DLC characters were a thing that was going to happen for Smash 4. I don't think we'll get something like this at this point if anything, we'll just have to wait when a direct get's announced. Judging some data that was discovered, I theorized there's more than likely 2 more preballot fighters possible, despite what people first thought would be over with thanks to Sakurai's comment about fan service.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
With all this "Shantae or Shovel Knight" stuff going around near the end of the ballot, I'm surprised Screwattack hasn't done a Death Battle or 1 Minute Melee with them.

which shantae would win anyway out of having more backers on KS kappa

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
I have no idea how people can honestly hate Shantae

Look how cute

You can't tell me you don't want to play as her

or hug her
Tis the world we live in, sadly.
I still can't bring up Ms. Shantae around my house without my brothers claiming she's predominantly a fan service character.
(Seriously, it's an argument I just can't win. :b)

It honestly just makes me hope she lands a spot in smash even more.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Tis the world we live in, sadly.
I still can't bring up Ms. Shantae around my house without my brothers claiming she's predominantly a fan service character.
(Seriously, it's an argument I just can't win.)

It honestly just makes me hope she lands a spot in smash even more.
Meanwhile Samus, Lara Croft, and even Bayonetta constantly get free passes

I really do feel bad for Shantae sometimes

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice

I know, right?
She really deserves a way better rep than she gets...

(I swear, the hate is comparable to kicking a puppy sometimes.)

Last edited:

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
With all this "Shantae or Shovel Knight" stuff going around near the end of the ballot, I'm surprised Screwattack hasn't done a Death Battle or 1 Minute Melee with them.

which shantae would win anyway out of having more backers on KS kappa
That would be sick, but I would rather have a death battle than a OMM. Mainly because DB actually uses research to ensure that a fair fight is given. And due to how popular DBs are, it can show a lot more people who Shantae really is, what she can truly do, and she's not some fanservice character.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Confirmed: Shantae & the Pirate's Curse is coming to Amazon Fire TV.
image.jpg
i just wanted to post this image of Gary Busey

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
That would be sick, but I would rather have a death battle than a OMM. Mainly because DB actually uses research to ensure that a fair fight is given. And due to how popular DBs are, it can show a lot more people what Shantae can truly do and she's not some fanservice character.
Shantae would most likely win, if the research will be anything to go by.

Shantae has a bigger arsenal of offensive moves and actually has defensive gear she can use, and is significantly more agile. Shantae can also take more advantage of the air with her Harpy form and Risky's cannon, compared to SK's somewhat useless Propeller Dagger, which can only take him so far.

At the same time, Shantae and Shovel Knight have items that are very similar. Such a Shantae's fireball with SK's flame wand, or Shantae's invisibility cream with SK's phase locket. They seem almost equally matched.

Interesting. So what is Amazon Fire TV?
It's a media player, mainly for streaming TV and Movies. Games can also be played, if you don't have any consoles.

Amazon's stuff usually sells like hotcakes, and the specs look like the device can certainly handle the game, so good choice, Wayforward.

Last edited:

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
Shantae would most likely win, if the research will be anything to go by.

Shantae has a bigger arsenal of offensive moves and actually has defensive gear she can use, and is significantly more agile. Shantae can also take more advantage of the air with her Harpy form and Risky's cannon, compared to SK's somewhat useless Propeller Dagger, which can only take him so far.

At the same time, Shantae and Shovel Knight have items that are very similar. Such a Shantae's fireball with SK's flame wand, or Shantae's invisibility cream with SK's phase locket. They seem almost equally matched.

It's a media player, mainly for streaming TV and Movies. Games can also be played, if you don't have any consoles.

Amazon's stuff usually sells like hotcakes, and the specs look like the device can certainly handle the game, so good choice, Wayforward.
Death Battle wise, Shantae wins. She has a lot going for her in terms of speed, strength, arsenal, and combat experience.

1 Minute Melee wise, I can see them giving Shovel Knight the win. To me, I feel popularity is what gives the character the win, no matter what. Look at Sonic Vs Flash for example. While Sonic runs faster than the speed of sound, Flash runs faster than the speed of light. And yet, Sonic won. Then again, there are certain battles that give the other character the win because of their loss in a Death Battle. And then again, Scorpion is more popular than Ghost Rider, yet Ghost Rider won. But I don't know.

Though I didn't expect us talking about Death Battle, because I'm actually a fan of the series :)

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
http://smashboards.com/threads/k-ro...alls-tyranny-before-tomorrow.324259/page-1179

Thought perhaps I might link this, if no one else has seen this. It might seem random, but scroll down a bit until you get to the post from the owner of the K. Rool Thread. There's an interesting read..... (Thought I'd share this in case no one else has seen this.. I mean the thread is pretty quiet.)

Basically, it's on the subject of some potentially (potentially. Take this with a grain of salt lol) big news coming up soon..

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
http://smashboards.com/threads/k-ro...alls-tyranny-before-tomorrow.324259/page-1179

Thought perhaps I might link this, if no one else has seen this. It might seem random, but scroll down a bit until you get to the post from the owner of the K. Rool Thread. There's an interesting read..... (Thought I'd share this in case no one else has seen this.. I mean the thread is pretty quiet.)

Basically, it's on the subject of some potentially (potentially. Take this with a grain of salt lol) big news coming up soon..
NO NEWS

NO CALLS

NO TYRANNY UNTIL TOMORROW

Sorry, I'm just a bit obessed with the DKC cartoon.
Death Battle wise, Shantae wins. She has a lot going for her in terms of speed, strength, arsenal, and combat experience.

1 Minute Melee wise, I can see them giving Shovel Knight the win. To me, I feel popularity is what gives the character the win, no matter what. Look at Sonic Vs Flash for example. While Sonic runs faster than the speed of sound, Flash runs faster than the speed of light. And yet, Sonic won. Then again, there are certain battles that give the other character the win because of their loss in a Death Battle. And then again, Scorpion is more popular than Ghost Rider, yet Ghost Rider won. But I don't know.

Though I didn't expect us talking about Death Battle, because I'm actually a fan of the series :)
Well, Sonic has more combat skills, while Flash just takes down the average foe with sped-up regular punches and kicks.

If "popularity" was the case, there'd be no research (and Goku vs Superman would've been a tie)

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
There's a difference there, Mewtwo was revealed ahead of time to reveal that DLC characters were a thing that was going to happen for Smash 4. I don't think we'll get something like this at this point if anything, we'll just have to wait when a direct get's announced. Judging some data that was discovered, I theorized there's more than likely 2 more preballot fighters possible, despite what people first thought would be over with thanks to Sakurai's comment about fan service.
Honestly, I only see there being one more pre-ballot character, namely Wolf. Honestly, I think just choosing one ballot character would be rough on everyone involved. I'd personally prefer the top 5(actual game characters that aren't owned by Sony, Microsoft, or Square-Enix[Seriously...Geno isn't going to happen, nor is Cloud or any Squeenix character]).

Samus has been crapped on plenty recently by her fanbase. Unfairly IMO. But that has little to do with "fanservice" which is fairly uncommon in the series, especially if you're not a speedfreak. I personally never took Lara Croft seriously until the reboot came along, gave her some actual character and realistically sized bosoms. As for miss Bayonetta, I love the games, I love the character, but seriously, she is sexed out to the nth degree. There's no getting around that. Whereas Shantae herself isn't sexualized much in her games(unless you count spanking from the GBA sequel that never happened). When the games address sensuality, it's suggestive rather than explicit. Such as a young boy commenting that his mother sometimes dresses up as Risky Boots for his father and then says he's not supposed to talk about such things. And still, most of the sex puns are directed at, or made by, Risky Boots rather than Shantae.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Honestly, I only see there being one more pre-ballot character, namely Wolf. Honestly, I think just choosing one ballot character would be rough on everyone involved. I'd personally prefer the top 5(actual game characters that aren't owned by Sony, Microsoft, or Square-Enix[Seriously...Geno isn't going to happen, nor is Cloud or any Squeenix character]).
There's actually evidences that shows that the 3DS now has 3 total unused data slots for DLC characters, compared to before, that was only 2 before the recent update came out. I can see maybe just one preballot be a thing, but we are more than likely getting more than just one ballot fighter regardless.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice

Samus has been crapped on plenty recently by her fanbase. Unfairly IMO. But that has little to do with "fanservice" which is fairly uncommon in the series, especially if you're not a speedfreak. I personally never took Lara Croft seriously until the reboot came along, gave her some actual character and realistically sized bosoms. As for miss Bayonetta, I love the games, I love the character, but seriously, she is sexed out to the nth degree. There's no getting around that. Whereas Shantae herself isn't sexualized much in her games(unless you count spanking from the GBA sequel that never happened). When the games address sensuality, it's suggestive rather than explicit. Such as a young boy commenting that his mother sometimes dresses up as Risky Boots for his father and then says he's not supposed to talk about such things. And still, most of the sex puns are directed at, or made by, Risky Boots rather than Shantae.
Frankly, both of the old Lara Crofts, from the Core Design continuity as well as Crystal Dynamic's first continuity, had more character than the reboot Lara could ever have. In fact, her rebooted version is pretty one-dimensional which was kind of the point of the game's plot. And to be honest, the whole "torture her for days on end to leave her emotionally damaged to establish her character" idea of the reboot left a sour taste in my mouth. To say nothing of the shoehorned-in language, off-putting violence and horror the game features.

So I have to disagree with the reboot having improved her. Though I have a multitude of problems with the direction they decided to take the TR series in general.

Her breast size was a programming error they ran with for laughs. I never thought anything of it, and Anniversary is the only game where they seemed intentionally oversized to me.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg
also this huehuehue

In all honesty, all the "overuse of fanservice" people bring up is usually very minor, as I can barely recall any moments. Not to mention that it's usually meant to be a joke. (The moment that moment Shantae is in her princess outfit in Tan Line, she says that she's pretty much in the same situation Princess Leia was)

Shantae's "fanservice", to me, is like those weird cherries you get on milkshakes. You didn't really ask for it or know why it's there, but even if you removed it, the experience is still as enjoyable.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
So, for giggles, I went to Bayonetta's wiki page.

She has hair-based fighting techniques, can transform into several animals, is a lot more powerful than she looks, and has somewhat a temper.

GEE.

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
NO NEWS

NO CALLS

NO TYRANNY UNTIL TOMORROW

Sorry, I'm just a bit obessed with the DKC cartoon.

Well, Sonic has more combat skills, while Flash just takes down the average foe with sped-up regular punches and kicks.

If "popularity" was the case, there'd be no research (and Goku vs Superman would've been a tie)
Except Goku vs Superman was a Death Battle, which includes research. 1 Minute Melee is a different story since that one is jumping into the fray without research. And I do like Sonic a little more than Flash, but I'm just saying.

Still, I prefer Death Battle over 1 Minute Melee. I like to learn about the character (though their facts can be wrong sometimes) and that the series includes humor.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Except Goku vs Superman was a Death Battle, which includes research. 1 Minute Melee is a different story since that one is jumping into the fray without research. And I do like Sonic a little more than Flash, but I'm just saying.

Still, I prefer Death Battle over 1 Minute Melee. I like to learn about the character (though their facts can be wrong sometimes) and that the series includes humor.
Oh, I thought you were mainly talking about death battles and not 1MM.

Pretty much everyone likes the DBs better.

After the research I've done, the aresenals of items have both fighters near equal to eachother. However, Shantae would most likely win out of having more defensive items and being significantly more agile.

Last edited:

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I thought you were mainly talking about death battles and not 1MM.

Pretty much everyone likes the DBs better.

After the research I've done, the aresenals of items have both fighters near equal to eachother. However, Shantae would most likely win out of having more defensive items and being significantly more agile.
Exactly the same idea for me about Shantae defeating Shovel Knight. I've always had that idea of them going at it for a long time. Would be an interesting fight.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
If Shantae got into Smash Bros. and she got white washed how would you all react?
If by White Washed you mean everyone just 180s her and instantly loves her because she's in Smash, the same as every newcomer that's been bashed to kingdom come.

Silently judge the double standardness and just wait for a data miner to rip her model for me to use.

Last edited:

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
Uh, no, actually I think I'd be ****ing pissed if they decided to make Shantae white in Smash.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
If Shantae got into Smash Bros. and she got white washed how would you all react?
That most likely wouldn't happen, as the white Shantae on the Kickstarter was used for lighting tests and was never intended to be used for the final product at all, but some of the staff didn't get that memo.

Considering how Sakurai went with classic Pac-Man rather than
image.jpg

I highly doubt that Shantae would be whitewashed by Sakurai and his team, as, like I just said, it was never meant to be used. Sakurai also tries to stay 100% accruate to how a character looks and behaves in their actual games. (In Pac's case, the ones people actually like.)

never ask that again

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
TheRickyWill TheRickyWill , did you happen to see this? Someone posted it under the #Shantae hashtag today; more Shantae/Freedom Planet art.

https://twitter.com/Knuxfan24/status/651697970715430912

I mean, sure, it's not exactly fine art in terms of the quality of the drawing, but it's still kind of neat and cute.

(I can't seem to embed this tweet, the image doesn't show in the Preview; I guess it has to do with the direct link to Tumblr he used)

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
TheRickyWill TheRickyWill , did you happen to see this? Someone posted it under the #Shantae hashtag today; more Shantae/Freedom Planet art.

https://twitter.com/Knuxfan24/status/651697970715430912

I mean, sure, it's not exactly fine art in terms of the quality of the drawing, but it's still kind of neat and cute.

(I can't seem to embed this tweet, the image doesn't show in the Preview; I guess it has to do with the direct link to Tumblr he used)
Yeah, I've seen it.

I pretty much agree.

Top Bottom