• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
These are nice, but damn, Samus' body is coming straight from the dark side of the internet. And I know what I'm talking about :awesome:
Yeah, you're right about that. ._. Kinda wish the artist had the picture of Shantae separate, but he was busy with things and just put all he worked on in one thing and such.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Yeah, you're right about that. ._. Kinda wish the artist had the picture of Shantae separate, but he was busy with things and just put all he worked on in one thing and such.
Well, it's easy to take it out of the whole picture. But I recommand to keep the link to the deviantart page, for the artist.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Shantae, the half-genie hero... After seeing the energy and enthusiasm that everyone on Miiverse and WayForward games are showing, I can't sit here in the shadows and watch the shared wish to see Shantae in Smash Bros fade away. This is her chance. I'll see if I can get in a vote for her, even though I haven't played one of her games, but rest assured, I am Ret-2-Go. Sign me up as a supporter.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Shantae, the half-genie hero... After seeing the energy and enthusiasm that everyone on Miiverse and WayForward games are showing, I can't sit here in the shadows and watch the shared wish to see Shantae in Smash Bros fade away. This is her chance. I'll see if I can get in a vote for her, even though I haven't played one of her games, but rest assured, I am Ret-2-Go. Sign me up as a supporter.
When you can, can I be added to the supporters list? :)
Welcome!

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Dang, if Shantae was this healthy in Smash... I think anyone would be distracted.
Well she is a belly dancing genie.. I'm pretty sure they will go with something that will make her look good either way. XD

Possibilities:
Retro - This one could be likely, since this Smash bros seems to be about gaming history after all.

Hybrid - A hybrid between all of her appearances (from her artwork in the first Shantae, to the chibi-ish new look coming in Half-Genie hero).

Current look - There is also a chance Wayforward would want her in the Half-Genie Hero look.. I mean it would certainly promote the upcoming title.

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Well she is a belly dancing genie.. I'm pretty sure they will go with something that will make her look good either way. XD

Possibilities:
Retro - This one could be likely, since this Smash bros seems to be about gaming history after all.

Hybrid - A hybrid between all of her appearances (from her artwork in the first Shantae, to the chibi-ish new look coming in Half-Genie hero).

Current look - There is also a chance Wayforward would want her in the Half-Genie Hero look.. I mean it would certainly promote the upcoming title.
If they're using anything from Half-Genie Hero, it'd best be them hips and dat ass. In all honesty I bet they'll be using the newest Shantae for the most part, and anything that looks off in the model will be reworked. Remember, this would be the first time our belly-dancing waifu goes 3D.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I love me some Shantae. Slap me on dat support list yo.

As for the Smash 4 ballot thing, I'd prefer to see her newest look honestly. After all, that is the direction the company is taking this character.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I think the sprites used in Risky's Revenge and Pirate Curse would fit smash's style best. They're already a halfway point between the Gameboy sprites and the new chibi sprite.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I love me some Shantae. Slap me on dat support list yo.

As for the Smash 4 ballot thing, I'd prefer to see her newest look honestly. After all, that is the direction the company is taking this character.
Heh yeah. Mostly mentioned it, as two other 3rd party characters got their classic looks over their current designs (for obvious reasons in this case). Classic Megaman over Megaman X, and Classic Pacman over... Ghostly Adventures Pacman... ugh -_-

Basically, we have to keep all possibilities in mind. When it comes to a guy like Sakurai, we can expect anything XD

Personally, I think the sprites used in Risky's Revenge and Pirate Curse would fit smash's style best. They're already a halfway point between the Gameboy sprites and the new chibi sprite.
Sorta like the hybrid option I mentioned :p. Its amazing how many options there is actually.. I would certainly be interested in what they decide to go with if she made it in

Last edited by a moderator:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
i personally would like to see the pirate's curse shantae as i think that's her best design to date but i wouldn't be agasint the orignal design.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
i personally would like to see the pirate's curse shantae as i think that's her best design to date but i wouldn't be agasint the orignal design.
Yeah, would have to agree there too.

Now that I think about it, I would certainly love a mix of all of the elements.. like a Shantae to represent all of her entries.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Heh yeah. Mostly mentioned it, as two other 3rd party characters got their classic looks over their current designs (for obvious reasons in this case). Classic Megaman over Megaman X, and Classic Pacman over... Ghostly Adventures Pacman... ugh -_-

Basically, we have to keep all possibilities in mind. When it comes to a guy like Sakurai, we can expect anything XD
While technically Mega Man is "classic" styled, it was made in a style closest to his original sprite. The style of that particular Classic Mega Man is completely original to Smash itself. Because if you look up most other classic variations, Mega Man is a loooooooooooot taller. Lmfao.

Well are you referring to her art design or her sprite design? Because in her artwork she is a lot taller. Personally if they were going with her art designs it would make her feel awkward to handle in game with the kind of attacks she does in her game. I honestly think the best solution is for them to build a Shantae design that fits the design of the sprite while retaining the art style of the game. Which is kinda why I personally went with the newest design of Shantae. It does kind of "Toonify" Shantae to fit with her animations that would otherwise look weird on a tall slender anime like build of the character.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Real talk: I am shocked and appalled, OP, that you have not put Burning Town in your list of Shantae music. SHOCKED AND APPALLED, SIR!

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
While technically Mega Man is "classic" styled, it was made in a style closest to his original sprite. The style of that particular Classic Mega Man is completely original to Smash itself. Because if you look up most other classic variations, Mega Man is a loooooooooooot taller. Lmfao.

Well are you referring to her art design or her sprite design? Because in her artwork she is a lot taller. Personally if they were going with her art designs it would make her feel awkward to handle in game with the kind of attacks she does in her game. I honestly think the best solution is for them to build a Shantae design that fits the design of the sprite while retaining the art style of the game. Which is kinda why I personally went with the newest design of Shantae. It does kind of "Toonify" Shantae to fit with her animations that would otherwise look weird on a tall slender anime like build of the character.
I always did find it funny how dramatically different the characters can look from the box art, thanks to all those sprite limitations back then.. XD

What was shown:

What we got:

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I always did find it funny how dramatically different the characters can look from the box art, thanks to all those sprite limitations back then.. XD

What was shown:

What we got:

Ain't that the truth. But I like how Sakurai took into consideration how Mega Man should specifically be designed. They made him to fit his sprite animations, which makes sense. That is what needs to be considered with Shantae as well. Will she be as appealing if her build doesn't properly match up with her game's animations? I honestly think she would look incredibly awkward being designed off her art variations rather than something like Half-Genie Hero.

That is kinda why I like that particular design. It does exactly what it should. It makes her sprite animations mesh well with the art design. Which is something I'm sure the Half-Genie Hero people considered when making that particular design. I mean, technically Smash could do its own mixed variation kinda like what they did with Mega Man. But the Half-Genie Hero design kind of already does that. haha.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion

i do see what your getting at and if they were going to use shantae they probably would go with her new design seeing as it revelant i just perfer the way she looks in pirate's curse compared to the other games.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Ain't that the truth. But I like how Sakurai took into consideration how Mega Man should specifically be designed. They made him to fit his sprite animations, which makes sense. That is what needs to be considered with Shantae as well. Will she be as appealing if her build doesn't properly match up with her game's animations? I honestly think she would look incredibly awkward being designed off her art variations rather than something like Half-Genie Hero.

That is kinda why I like that particular design. It does exactly what it should. It makes her sprite animations mesh well with the art design. Which is something I'm sure the Half-Genie Hero people considered when making that particular design. I mean, technically Smash could do its own mixed variation kinda like what they did with Mega Man. But the Half-Genie Hero design kind of already does that. haha.
What I found amazing about Megaman, is how they managed to keep his moveset surprisingly intact when compared to the first game. While the other characters adjust to fit Smash, Megaman is just like "Nope. I'm doing what I've always done. Deal with it :troll:"

As for Shantae, I can see what you mean. If this had been brawl, and she got in, She would probably have a realistic look.. (Cause lets face it, Brawl's design leaned toward a slightly desaturated, realistic look). But Smash 4 really focuses on those primary colors, and the characters look more like they what their supposed to look like. Either of her most recent forms (Pirate's curse, or the upcoming Half-Genie Hero look) could accomplish the goal just fine.

Sonic 2099 The Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonic09Hedgehog
3DS FC
4038-6177-1632
For The Next Art, Someone Need to Put #Vote4Shantae or #ShantaeForSmash Or Else it Works Less

Also Just Made Me Wish List.

Last edited by a moderator:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Actually, WayForward went out of their way to make this:

So I think they've already decided this to be her design to use for Smash. Which isn't bad at all.

blujay1524

Smash Cadet

So I think they've already decided this to be her design to use for Smash. Which isn't bad at all.
I like it, it's a good mix of new and retro. Although I'm not so sure why the minute differences in the last 3 costumes (my guess is they're the looks from older games) but they're so little as to almost not matter at all.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord

Oh yeah forgot about that... lol XD

Well she would definitely fit in just fine.

I like it, it's a good mix of new and retro. Although I'm not so sure why the minute differences in the last 3 costumes (my guess is they're the looks from older games) but they're so little as to almost not matter at all.
My guess is they are probably there for reference. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order, it looks like a depiction of Shantae's retro look, her look from Risky's revenge, and then (obviously), the last one is themed to Pirate's curse. I'm sure Sakurai would want this sort of thing, so he could decide on how to go about the alternate costume things anyway.

EDIT: ...Why the heck do I keep typing Pirate's "CURES" instead of Pirate's "CURSE"!? >_< Stupid typos.. ._.

Last edited:

Potatoharbinger

Smash Rookie
Been lurking on this thread for a few days and instantly put my vote in for Shantae when i saw the update from Wayforward. If there's a list of supporters, sign me up!

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Well I mean even characters already in Smash have similar issues in regards to costumes. I think it is for the sake of appealing to Shantae fans of the previous designs.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well I mean even characters already in Smash have similar issues in regards to costumes. I think it is for the sake of appealing to Shantae fans of the previous designs.
After all, looking at Pac-Man's alt colors makes Sonic's Alt Colors diverse :troll:

Top Bottom