• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
I expect Shantae to be at least be a trophy to represent Wayforward. As for her being a character, she has long ways to go.

And I got a question, is she really a Capcom character or a Wayforward character, her series first got published by Capcom am I right?
All rights to Shantae belong to Wayforward and also with all the indie dev characters that are on Nintendo I believe that Shantae and Shovel knight are the most popular so the chances for one of them to have character status is pretty much up there.

Last edited:

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
I like Commander Video and all but I wish Shantae had gotten the trophy instead.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
who knows she may become a character to represent the indie dev community.
Like a playable character? I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Seems like a trophy is the most they've cared to give the indie community, which is still frankly more than I thought it'd get.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Like a playable character? I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Seems like a trophy is the most they've cared to give the indie community, which is still frankly more than I thought it'd get.
Even if she gets a trophy in smash i'll be happy but like many of us in this thread really are pushing for her to be a DLC character and I know she has competition with other big characters like King k. rool and Issac (who are on my list) so we'll just have to wait and see.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
Even if she gets a trophy in smash i'll be happy but like many of us in this thread really are pushing for her to be a DLC character and I know she has competition with other big characters like King k. rool and Issac (who are on my list) so we'll just have to wait and see.
I'd like to see her and she'd definitely be a good fit, so I don't mean to be all negative here, but that's the kind of competition she'd have if she was a Nintendo character. As a third-party, an indie, western developed third-party, she has much bigger obstacles than just other Nintendo characters that might get in over her.

But yeah, a trophy would be great. The direct makes me think Commander Video is the only indie trophy we'll be getting though. :/

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
I'd like to see her and she'd definitely be a good fit, so I don't mean to be all negative here, but that's the kind of competition she'd have if she was a Nintendo character. As a third-party, an indie, western developed third-party, she has much bigger obstacles than just other Nintendo characters that might get in over her.

But yeah, a trophy would be great. The direct makes me think Commander Video is the only indie trophy we'll be getting though. :/
Yeah..her chances are low, but hey us fans want to support and keep having our voices heard toward Nintendo and Wayforward to have her in smash, Hell one of our supporters contacted both Nintendo and Wayforward to let them know we want her in.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Actually, I have contacted WayForward a lot more and especially I'm glad you've asked that question for me to answer and they've said,

WayForward

Oct 27, 2014
Report Spam
Hi Raheem,

We are huge fans of Smash Bros. and would love to have our characters join the roster of fighters in the new game. Nintendo owns the rights to the Smash Bros. franchise and they make the decisions regarding what characters they choose to include. If you would like to have Shantae and friends in a future iteration of Smash Bros. you should reach out to them :)
But, since you've already reached out to Nintendo, we are also excited by the current roster in Super Smash Bros. At this time there are majority plans for Shantae and her friends to be included in DLC but if that were to come in time and hopefully we would let everyone know for you helping extremely hard representing our Shantae and her friends requested in SMASH Bros. franchise.

Thank you for your extremely hard work enthusiasm of passion and excitement regarding Shantae and even her friends that seriously needed to be confirmed inclusion of Super Smash Bros. 4 franchise for them to shine!

P.S: Good-luck, representing your other favorite characters Geno, Izuna The Unemployed Ninja with her two sisters: Shino & Shizune and Manic & Sonia The Hedgehogs!
10411219_896515767049013_237580833719882479_n.jpg

Guys, please remember that the way, I've always been stay in contact with WayForward and barely with Nintendo Company somehow and don't forget about the previous spectacular special news from them that I sincerely did sharing my fellows supporters of Shantae's group for DLC as a playable character, but never as an assist trophy and seriously, we've got keep moving forward of saying, Shantae shall be confirmed only as DLC playable character in SMASH BROS franchise!

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
View attachment 29190

Guys, please remember that the way, I've always been stay in contact with WayForward and barely with Nintendo Company somehow and don't forget about the previous spectacular special news from them that I sincerely did sharing my fellows supporters of Shantae's group for DLC as a playable character, but never as an assist trophy and seriously, we've got keep moving forward of saying, Shantae shall be confirmed only as DLC playable character in SMASH BROS franchise!
I'd like to have your mindset, but I'm way too down-to-earth (cynical even) for that.
Anyway, I've 100%ed "Shantae and the Pirate's Curse" about an hour ago. Hurrah for me.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
I'd like to have your mindset, but I'm way too down-to-earth (cynical even) for that.
Anyway, I've 100%ed "Shantae and the Pirate's Curse" about an hour ago. Hurrah for me.
Congratulations, Warlock*G! I've already made 100% from last week ago on Shantae and the Pirate's Curse and now finishing up of Pirate mode!

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I like Commander Video and all but I wish Shantae had gotten the trophy instead.
Honestly, Quote and Shantae deserved to be the indie game rep(s) more than Commander Video. Given how close both are to Nintendo. But atleast Commander Video's presence means Shantae could have some representation.
Add me on board, I want me some Shantae in Smash.
Added

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, Quote and Shantae deserved to be the indie game rep(s) more than Commander Video. Given how close both are to Nintendo. But atleast Commander Video's presence means Shantae could have some representation.
Actually while Quote and Shantae are definitely more well-defined as characters, not only did Bit Trip series first originate on a Nintendo system, and not only has the series had every iteration on a Nintendo system, but its also had several more games than either other series. All three are pretty close with Nintendo. Quote and Shantae are just more popular.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Actually while Quote and Shantae are definitely more well-defined as characters, not only did Bit Trip series first originate on a Nintendo system, and not only has the series had every iteration on a Nintendo system, but its also had several more games than either other series. All three are pretty close with Nintendo. Quote and Shantae are just more popular.
how many bit trip games are there? I thought there was only two.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
how many bit trip games are there? I thought there was only two.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit.Trip
7 separate game titles, an 8th as a collection of them.

I'm not surprised CommanderVideo is the one to show up. Either him or Shantae, Quote would have been a pipedream. But I suppose the weird amount of Cave Story rereleases probably would have helped I guess though.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Whelp, those who were hoping for exclusive Wii U characters will be disappointed. Our only hope is for DLC. And here's a link towards apparently for a SSB 6, which I'm quoting from TheRandomCities4 on the Krystal Forum:

- "here's the link to the "Smash Bros. 6" hiring notice report:

http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/07/sma...says-new-game-is-coming-to-wii-u-3ds-in-2015/

It was dated back on April 7th, 2014.

They were looking to hire an additional 80 employees to work on "Smash Bros. 6", which is likely to be DLC since Sakurai's developmental terms for Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U are "Smash 4" and "Smash 5" respectively. This "Smash Bros. 6" is supposedly going to be released in Spring of 2015, which matches the time Mewtwo will be released.

Also, according to the report:

"Our local Nintendo rep has declined to comment on the story below, taking a no comment on rumor or speculation stance."
Of course a Nintendo rep wouldn't talk about potential developmental stuff in Smash. However, it lends potential credence to the hiring notice since they're refusing to respond.

Alternatively, "Smash Bros. 6" (with its supposed release in Spring of 2015) could refer to the slim chance of Wii U transferable characters finally being able to be played on the 3DS IN ADDITION to Mewtwo's DLC. There's been a lot of confusion going on around the Wii U version's unlockable content"- from TheRandomCities4.

What do you guys think?

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Whelp, those who were hoping for exclusive Wii U characters will be disappointed. Our only hope is for DLC. And here's a link towards apparently for a SSB 6, which I'm quoting from TheRandomCities4 on the Krystal Forum:

http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/07/sma...says-new-game-is-coming-to-wii-u-3ds-in-2015/

They were looking to hire an additional 80 employees to work on "Smash Bros. 6", which is likely to be DLC since Sakurai's developmental terms for Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U are "Smash 4" and "Smash 5" respectively. This "Smash Bros. 6" is supposedly going to be released in Spring of 2015, which matches the time Mewtwo will be released.

"Our local Nintendo rep has declined to comment on the story below, taking a no comment on rumor or speculation stance."
Of course a Nintendo rep wouldn't talk about potential developmental stuff in Smash. However, it lends potential credence to the hiring notice since they're refusing to respond.
Alternatively, "Smash Bros. 6" (with its supposed release in Spring of 2015) could refer to the slim chance of Wii U transferable characters finally being able to be played on the 3DS IN ADDITION to Mewtwo's DLC. There's been a lot of confusion going on around the Wii U version's unlockable content"- from TheRandomCities4.

What do you guys think?
My babies :'(

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608

What do you guys think?
I've actually seen this article back when it first came up. I thought more people would have known about this. It's possible these 80 additional employees are working on Mewtwo and other possible DLC characters hopefully one of them is Shantae.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Warning Received
So is this the Shantae support group because I have to say I love her most recent instalment but I must ask what the age rating for this game really is.

overall the gameplay looks really enjoyable :)
The age rating is E10+ but yeah her latest installment is Awesome!! :colorful:

I remember hearing about that article. But i just assumed it was a fake.
Yeah I thought it was fake at first but then I thought to myself that this article could be a application to get more employees to work on the DLC that is planned for 2015 and beyond.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
NEWS THAT ARE SORT OF RELEVANT:

A couple of weeks ago I said Shantae's biggest obstacle was the fact her games were never released in Japan (so Sakurai may not even know she exists).

Well, look at this. Shantae: Risky's Revenge (along with Mighty Switch Force) is getting released in Japan! And it's getting ported to the 3DS proper rather than being a DSiWare release.

Source: https://twitter.com/intergrow/status/531718513992286210

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So I recently picked up the original Shantae on the ol' Virtual Console and I have to say, it's quite the sweet treat! Add me to the list of supporters, my good man, and let's get this party started~

Top Bottom