• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Here's something I did with Blue-Paint-Sea's render of Shantae.

....I would spam the like button, but that would just like and unlike it over and over again....

That is just too perfect XD

Could you see if you can find a way to make an updated signature card with that artwork? It would certainly look better than the current one.

Though I don't know how that stuff works, so forgive me if I don't know what I'm talking about.. lol

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
....I would spam the like button, but that would just like and unlike it over and over again....

That is just too perfect XD

Could you see if you can find a way to make an updated signature card with that artwork? It would certainly look better than the current one.

Though I don't know how that stuff works, so forgive me if I don't know what I'm talking about.. lol
Umm, sorry, I didn't make those cards, you should ask N3ON if you want to her to replace that old render with the new one. Just to let you know.

But thanks, glad you liked it. I just did it just for fun, and credit goes to the artist and such.

http://blue-paint-sea.deviantart.com/

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Umm, sorry, I didn't make those cards, you should ask N3ON if you want to her to replace that old render with the new one. Just to let you know.

But thanks, glad you liked it. I just did it just for fun, and credit goes to the artist and such.

http://blue-paint-sea.deviantart.com/
Alrighty. I'll give a shout in the siggy thread then. I'll report back if theres any luck! ^_^

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Yep. The basic thing is, EVERY contractor has a breaking point. You can only throw so many arguments before you start running out of things to say.

That is when you start to see the "She just won't get in", "Shantae is stupid".. those sort of things. When you reach an unfounded one liner, or just garbage in general, you know you have their hands tied. ^_^

They'll also try to pull the old "its pointless to argue" trick. That counts as well

As a side note, in case there is any that missed it, or would like to see the current version of the wall.. here it is:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Shantae is too obscure"

This "obscurity" so many contractors bring up is very unjustified.. Her obscurity in the industry can primarily be singled out to just bad luck. Her first game, "Shantae" (2002), was for the gameboy color... As you might notice by the year, this was near the end of the handhelds life. This caused Shantae to see a limited release.. A shame for such a good game (and later for such a good series). The poor girl unfortunately wouldn't see a sequel for eight years because of all this.. Risky's Revenge, in 2010. Many other Shantae fans will agree with me she deserves much more exposure in the industry, and will agree they are happy they stumbled upon the series.

"Shantae is an indie character! Theres no way she could get in!"

This may be so by today's standards, but she hardly feels indie when you look at her games...

Shantae = Gameboy Color 2002
Shantae: Risky's Revenge = DSiWare (Also had ports for iOS and Steam later, but still..) 2010
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse = Wii U AND 3DS 2014
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero = Wii U (Still in development)

Notice any pattern here? 99% of the games are on Nintendo consoles.. (Save for Risky's Revenge, and even those were just later ports) Awfully loyal for an indie character.. (Heck some could even go as far to call her First Party Indie at this point). She is much more than "just an indie character". She has been with Nintendo for a very long time, has a lot of history with them, and has been very loyal.

To add to this, look at the characters like Ness, the Fire Emblem Characters, and Ice Climbers.

Ness was from a game with a cult classic, not too different from Shantae, that deserved much more exposure than it did. The difference? The fact Ness was present in the first game, and being in the original twelve, his series has always been prominent throughout the Smash series... and my, look at the good it has done. Earthbound was able to get that recognition it deserved. From seeing Ness (and later Lucas) in the series, many grew curious about it, and either got the game, or did research.. Thanks to Smash bros, many have gotten to experience the humorous cult classic that is Earthbound.

To go even further, look at the Fire Emblem series. As you know, Marth and Roy had their starts in Melee.... but that wasn't always going to be the case. Sakurai was initially afraid of releasing the two characters outside of japan to the western base. As you see, the Fire Emblem series was still Japan only at the time, and he was afraid it would alienate the Western base. Luckily, Sakurai decided to put them in anyway.... and what a great decision it was. It sparked interest in the series, and the two characters started to obtain a fan following in the west... prompting the release of the Fire Emblem series internationally, and making it the big series it is today. The same thing could happen for Shantae actually. Her games aren't present in Japan.. So, her inclusion in Smash could very well have the same effect for her that it did for Fire Emblem

As one last argument against "obscurity", look at many of the classic characters that have made it into the game. Pit, G & W, and Ice Climbers to name a few. Pit had only had to classic games under his belt... and had disappeared from the industry for years. After his comeback in brawl however, he finally saw a new title, and thus, his fanbase grew immensely. The younger generations probably wouldn't even know what a Game and Watch is.. if it hadn't have been for Mr. Game and Watch showing up in Smash. The ice climbers were even MORE obscure. I doubt all that many even knew who these guys were. (Heck, not even I knew who they were until I played Melee). So, Obscurity isn't an argument here, when it comes to newcomers.

"Shantae is an indie/3rd Party character! They would have to jump through too many hoops, and deal with too much licensing issues to get her in."

Thats not valid any longer. Wayforward, the company that produces the Shantae games, is ALL FOR her presence in smash. Don't believe me? Check this out: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1187315

Seems like it wouldn't be an issue to me... they even made possible alternate costumes she could use.

"What would she do? She hardly seems like she would bring much to the game."

Hardly true. Her games provide her with many options for a unique and effective moveset. From her transformation abilities, to the Pirate gear she had access to in Pirate's Curse.. She even has access to magic.

"When do you hear people talking about wanting Shantae be in the game before the Fighter Ballot was announced."

Same thing could be said for a lot of characters... The support and desire for these characters has always been there.. the ballot just caused it to boil to the surface.

"Shantae doesn't have any releases in Japan!"

Look back to the Melee Fire Emblem case, and just picture that in reverse.

Also, there are Shantae Japanese fans who know of her games, and their is a demand from them wanting the games to be localized in Japan, so, if Shantae made it into the game, Just like what happened with Fire Emblem, she would have a high chance to be localized in Japan.

Here is one fan for example: https://twitter.com/hounori

"Shantae is a western character/was made by a western dev"

The character Little Mac, despite being created in Japan, is still primarily a western character. Another argument we see thrown is the Shovel Knight argument.. Shantae came earlier than Shovel Knight, has more titles, and is far more dedicated to Nintendo than he is.

"According to <insert unofficial poll/research here>, Shantae's chances are low/She has no chance."

Whether support for a particular character is greater than or equal to Shantae depends on the community. For example, while there may be more support for Shovel Knight in say, Reddit, in 8chan there is more support for Shantae. Polls and research are subjective. Many of them only take into account a small portion of the Smash community. (For example the Reddit polls take into account areas from reddit, but other areas, like 4chan, 8chan, nor Smashboards are.) There is no way possible to get a full take on what the Smash community's take is on any particular character

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far, that's 8 deflections. I feel there may be some still untouched, and a few in here that could still use more backup as well.
I recently found out the Pokemon art director is a Big Shantae fan.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
OH guys! I have something to show you all... I liked that render so much, I decided to take a shot at an idea I had...

With the help of gimp, I've created a head icon out of the render. I want to know what you guys think.

There is one in the original size..

And one in a smaller size! ^_^

Of course this is the first time I've actually legitimately experimented with the program... so it might not be "perfect".. XD

Edit:

smashboards size

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
OH guys! I have something to show you all... I liked that render so much, I decided to take a shot at an idea I had...

With the help of gimp, I've created a head icon out of the render. I want to know what you guys think.

There is one in the original size..

And one in a smaller size! ^_^

Of course this is the first time I've actually legitimately experimented with the program... so it might not be "perfect".. XD
Nicely done. Do you mind if I could give it a try? I've done some before, like of Rayman.
RaymanStock3.png

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Nicely done. Do you mind if I could give it a try? I've done some before, like of Rayman.
View attachment 47526
Of course! If you want I can give you an original sized copy without the dropshadow if you want. I still have that

Edit: I'll need to find where I put it real quick tho... I'll paste a link on your profile in a few minutes if you want

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Umm, sorry for double posting. But here.

View attachment 47556
Aaaah looks cool! ^_^

Hmm.. no idea when/if we'll see that sig. I brought it up in the thread. Now we just have to wait I suppose :)

Aaaand a little off topic, but @ SuperSegaSonicSS SuperSegaSonicSS ? Do you have any tips for a Gimp newbie? I've been experimenting, but I still don't know my way around the program like I did Paint.net... any tips? :/

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Aaaah looks cool! ^_^

Hmm.. no idea when/if we'll see that sig. I brought it up in the thread. Now we just have to wait I suppose :)

Aaaand a little off topic, but @ SuperSegaSonicSS SuperSegaSonicSS ? Do you have any tips for a Gimp newbie? I've been experimenting, but I still don't know my way around the program like I did Paint.net... any tips? :/
Well, I haven't used Gimp in years...I just use Adobe Photoshop and Paint.Net at times, but mostly PS. Sorry, I'd suggest looking up video tutorials, I'm sure there are some.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Well, I haven't used Gimp in years...I just use Adobe Photoshop and Paint.Net at times, but mostly PS. Sorry, I'd suggest looking up video tutorials, I'm sure there are some.
Alrighty. Thanks anyway though! :p

Edit: Welp, since I never actually put up a version of that experiment I did the size of an actual smashboards icon myself..
I'll throw mine in here as well! ( I'll edit it into my other post too).

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Oh hello Shantae supporters...
Until fairly recently I haven't really heard of this Half-genie. The same is said for a few other Indie characters such as Shovel Knight. Shantae is a character that has caught my interest and after a bit of research and poking around...
1-She's an interesting character with a likeable and charming personality.
2-She has a lot of moveset potential, from attacking with her hair, to using a scimitar, to twirling, to being able to transform into a frikken monkey.
3-:love:
4-Arabian theme brings something unique to the smash lineup
5-Gameplay for her games has a strong resemblance to various games such as Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island, and Metroid...wait!...METROID!?
Alright I'm sold...
consider me a supporter!

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Yeah. Its definitely a cool little site :o. I can't wait until it starts getting populated with stuff ^_^

In other news... I've started doing more practice on smash icons :o

I think I'm getting the hang of it :D (maybe... lol)

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
My Smash Ballot video really did well, and we were able to get a LOT of Shantae love in the comments. So my buddy and I decided to make a new series called Smash Talk, where we break down 5 contenders every week, and it's up to the viewers to decide who we talk about next. Of course, I made sure our girl Shantae was in the first video! (Yes, I'm trying to advertise the **** out of her.)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So like Injustice there's a bunch planned from the start and they'll add a couple more based on fan feedback.

Explaining why it went from obviously executive mandated characters like Batgirl and Zod to fan favorites Zatanna and Martian Manhunter.

blujay1524

Smash Cadet
So like Injustice there's a bunch planned from the start and they'll add a couple more based on fan feedback.

Explaining why it went from obviously executive mandated characters like Batgirl and Zod to fan favorites Zatanna and Martian Manhunter.
Well, it's not THAT egregious. Nether Realm Studios clearly pulled/excluded tons of content (costumes/characters) from the base game in order to sell it to players through a "season pass" (and they're doing it again with the day 1 DLC in MKX).

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
I'm still shocked that Ryu of all characters was found in there. Roy i can understand. But Ryu?
I know, right?
Honestly, I thought they'd leave it at one Capcom representative. (Not that Ryu's inclusion is necessarily a bad thing.)
He is Capcom's other mascot though, isn't he? Maybe that has something to do with it?

Still interesting, all the same.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I know, right?
Honestly, I thought they'd leave it at one Capcom representative. (Not that Ryu's inclusion is necessarily a bad thing.)
He is Capcom's other mascot though, isn't he? Maybe that has something to do with it?

Still interesting, all the same.
So are people saying he was found in the data or something?...

Well, has anyone thought of the possibility that he could have been a "beta" Capcom rep? Before Pacman was concieved as a fighter?

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
So are people saying he was found in the data or something?...

Well, has anyone thought of the possibility that he could have been a "beta" Capcom rep? Before Pacman was concieved as a fighter?
Really doesn't make any sense to do that. They have music in there for no reason.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Edit: WHOOPS. I think I mixed up the third party names... I guess all this talk of third parties is frying my brain :/

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
...Maybe the Ryu they're referring to is Ryu Hayabusa and they're using Capcom's music to throw hackers off?

Or, you know, it's fake, and everyone is buying it because it has Roy in it.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
...Maybe the Ryu they're referring to is Ryu Hayabusa and they're using Capcom's music to throw hackers off?

Yeah...its hard to trust leaked smash stuff now adays...

Especially after Omni's handy work.. lol

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
Edit: WHOOPS. I think I mixed up the third party names... I guess all this talk of third parties is frying my brain :/
I had assumed you meant that they were possibly considering two Capcom reps before deciding to add Pacman.
Only now do I realize how odd that would be.

I don't think they'd necessarily go through all that extra trouble just to throw hackers off.

It is possible it's fake (as with anything on the internet), but I don't feel like I have the credentials to verify or disprove that. Interestingly though, Lucas - an already confirmed addition - is there as well.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Welp. The leak was real.

It was Street Fighter music.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
With all this talk of Roy & Ryu sound data on the 3DS files, I still believe this won't affect the smash ballot. I think these 2 were already planned for DLC before the ballot, so guys keep doing what you are doing and spread the word for #Shantae4Smash.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Definitely planned before hand, I haven't heard anyone mentioning Ryu's name for the ballot at all.

Not that I wouldn't mind seeing him make it in, as long a the good ol' Guile's Theme gets in the game as well :D

Chico2099

Smash Apprentice
Shantae is one of my most wanted for Smash DLC I really hope she gets enough votes for Nintendo to take notice of her fan base.

Top Bottom