• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Ok. I have no doubt in my mind that she will be way more considerable once Smash 5 is announced. I just really want her playable so hopefully Sakurai gives WayForward a chance. Whether it be DLC or 5. I'm willing to wait.
That's the spirit!

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
More Shantae history for ya, thanks to the Shantae Wiki.

"The game's development started in the second half of the year 1996. Thanks to a further research in the internet, an archived version of the original WayFoward website from the year 1997 was found with a lot of information about the original Shantae video game which was originally designed for platforms like PC.

According to the old website, magic worked on a point system. At the beginning of the game, Shantae’s Magic Points are at zero. Throughout the game she can gather and save them up then spend them whenever she needs to summon help. Once activated, several magic points are depleted, and the power-up takes effect. Every time she defeated a boss, she gained a new Magical Ability such as Transformation.

Unlike the released Game Boy version, Shantae used dancing to attack enemies directly instead of transforming into animals. The following Dance Attacks where going to be available:

Earth Dance Boulders rain from above, wiping out any enemies they hit.
Water Dance A wave washes all smaller enemies off the screen
Wind Dance A frigid blast temporarily turns enemies to ice.
Fire Dance A blast of fire shoots out from Shantae’s position, igniting enemies
Magic Dance All enemies on the screen become magic points!

Different outfits where also designed as power-ups for Shantae, like a defense suit, an attack suit, and a fire suit. Animals were also featured in at the time, following Erin's vision of animals being summoned by magic."

Also, here's the original logo:

Also, there's that blue outfit that returns in Half-Genie Hero (If you backed $12)

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I put Banjo-Kazooie down after Mumbo's Mountain.

I've been asking myself a similar question for years.
To be honest, this is a key point.. It's a key point as to why there are detractors to begin with.

Lets just take that scenario, apply it to a fictional hater/detractor, named Bob, and instead apply it to Shantae...

"Bob was curious about the game Shantae, and why fans liked her so much. He bought the original gameboy color game, and played it, to see what the fuss was about.

He got just a bit past Scuttle Town, and grew bored. He wasn't really into the sort of metroidvania styled platformers that Shantae was based around, and thus, abandoned the game. He soon grew a hate for the character, as he couldn't understand why people liked the games so much. He couldn't stand them... and in term, he hated Shantae.

He didn't get to see the character development later on in the game. He didn't get to see the humor, or the plot unfold. Due to a dislike for the game itself, he grew a hate for the character as a whole.. even though the hate was unfounded."

Basically, put, this can be applied to any character, and any franchise. Lets face it, we all aren't going to like every game we play, as we all have our own preferences. This doesn't give us the right to bash a character though, that is for sure. Sometimes, due to our preferences, we may never be able to understand why some characters are praised so much... our dislike for the gameplay blinds us in a way, and prevents us from seeing a character the way the fans see the character.

Banjo and Kazooie for example, while some of you out there may not like it, is considered a Nintendo 64 classic to those that do. It's humorous, and fun.

While some may not like a character, or understand why they are popular, there are others that do, and can see what makes them special... just like how we are able to see what makes Shantae such a great character.

This is why I support multiple campaigns. All of the campaigns.. K. Rool, Krystal, Isaac, The Inklings, Bandana Dee, Rayman, Banjo & Kazooie... even Shovel Knight has just as much of a right to be in this as Shantae. We may not like the idea of some of these characters getting in, and there are some we would be fine with, but aren't fully in support of... however, to the fans of these characters, it makes PERFECT sense, and it is as clear as crystal...

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
To be honest, this is a key point.. It's a key point as to why there are detractors to begin with.

Lets just take that scenario, apply it to a fictional hater/detractor, named Bob, and instead apply it to Shantae...

"Bob was curious about the game Shantae, and why fans liked her so much. He bought the original gameboy color game, and played it, to see what the fuss was about.

He got just a bit past Scuttle Town, and grew bored. He wasn't really into the sort of metroidvania styled platformers that Shantae was based around, and thus, abandoned the game. He soon grew a hate for the character, as he couldn't understand why people liked the games so much. He couldn't stand them... and in term, he hated Shantae.

He didn't get to see the character development later on in the game. He didn't get to see the humor, or the plot unfold. Due to a dislike for the game itself, he grew a hate for the character as a whole.. even though the hate was unfounded."

Basically, put, this can be applied to any character, and any franchise. Lets face it, we all aren't going to like every game we play, as we all have our own preferences. This doesn't give us the right to bash a character though, that is for sure. Sometimes, due to our preferences, we may never be able to understand why some characters are praised so much... our dislike for the gameplay blinds us in a way, and prevents us from seeing a character the way the fans see the character.

Banjo and Kazooie for example, while some of you out there may not like it, is considered a Nintendo 64 classic to those that do. It's humorous, and fun.

While some may not like a character, or understand why they are popular, there are others that do, and can see what makes them special... just like how we are able to see what makes Shantae such a great character.

This is why I support multiple campaigns. All of the campaigns.. K. Rool, Krystal, Isaac, The Inklings, Bandana Dee, Rayman, Banjo & Kazooie... even Shovel Knight has just as much of a right to be in this as Shantae. We may not like the idea of some of these characters getting in, and there are some we would be fine with, but aren't fully in support of... however, to the fans of these characters, it makes PERFECT sense, and it is as clear as crystal...
Well put sir, well put. On a side note: Instead of Inklings, why not Callie and Marie? They could simply be a costume swap like Olimar and Alph. Just saying that since they have actual personalities while the Inkling is simply an avatar. Also... Judd.... Meow......

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Man I got the info here copied onto my Laptop Notepad so that I don't forget to post online lol.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
ithasneverbeensaidthatihatebanjoandkazooie

imactuallykindoflookingforwardtoyookalaylee

becauseitactuallylooksfun

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
ithasneverbeensaidthatihatebanjoandkazooie

imactuallykindoflookingforwardtoyookalaylee

becauseitactuallylooksfun
Heh, I wasn't saying that you were :p. What you mentioned just tied into it a bit. Sure, you yourself don't hate Banjo & Kazooie, however, since you weren't a fan of the game/gameplay, you cut your playtime short, and stopped playing. You missed numerous amounts of funny dialog, and Grunty rhyming. Either way, that said, while you just didn't like the gameplay... Some take it a step further.

There are a lot out there that unfortunately do think the way that I mentioned in my post. Since they don't like it, that means that the whole thing sucks, and there is no ifs ands or buts about it.. and, when they see people and fans that do like it, it urks them a bit.. or for the worse ones, enrages them. This is what triggers the rage filled posts we see from detractors and what not.

Add this ballot to the mix, and it makes it worse...

"What!? <Insert character that they hate with a passion for no real reason> is being campaigned for Smash bros!? That is so STUPID. <insert character here that they like here> would be a MUCH better candidate... These people are morons."

In terms of the ballot, the fact that a character from a franchise they can't stand is being campaigned for DLC is one thing... add the fact that they could "steal the slot" of a character they do like? And you get a pot of boiling detractor rage...

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
By the way, weren't Banjo and Kazooie considered for the original Smash Bros?

And James Bond.

that last one is actually true.

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
Guys, the thought of indies has been on my mind and something just occurred to me. I REALLY dislike the idea of Shovel Knight joining Smash. I guess the main problem is how big his popularity is. He only has one game, it isn't even Nintendo exclusive, and his character isn't interesting at all. I will say I LOVE his game, but I don't want him in Smash. I'd rather have Quote or Shantae. Sorry if there are any Shovel Knight fans here, but the idea popped in my head and I want others opinion. Mostly on Shovel Knight, Shantae, and even Quote.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Guys, the thought of indies has been on my mind and something just occurred to me. I REALLY dislike the idea of Shovel Knight joining Smash. I guess the main problem is how big his popularity is. He only has one game, it isn't even Nintendo exclusive, and his character isn't interesting at all. I will say I LOVE his game, but I don't want him in Smash. I'd rather have Quote or Shantae. Sorry if there are any Shovel Knight fans here, but the idea popped in my head and I want others opinion. Mostly on Shovel Knight, Shantae, and even Quote.
For me, it's Shantae or CommanderVideo (he already has a trophy anyway), as they were the indies born on Nintendo platforms.

Cave Story is hands down one of my favorite games of all time, but I have to admit that the real reason it became popular is because it was originally freeware. Even then, all it's been recently is repackaging the same game.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I actually could relate to this post a while back. But here recently I've been trying to be open minded about Shovel Knight if he does happen to make it into the roster. I mean as much as I prefer Shantae, not wanting Shovel Knight isn't going to make him magically vanish if he does happen to make it. I mean Shovel Knight isn't a bad character or anything, nor is he a bad choice. It just goes down to what the player's preference is.

Whatever happens, happens. The roster is already filled with great characters, so we can't really complain. Sakurai poured his life into this game. So I'm just going to be thankful for what we already have, and enjoy whatever else we get. I'm already beyond satisfied. Everything else at this point is just optional icing on the metaphorical cake.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Yeah. At this point, I don't really care if Shantae makes it in or not. I'll still be playing the games, sharing it with my friends and family. Half-Genie Hero looks fantastic, and I can't wait.

Who knows? It'll probably happen someday.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Speaking of which, I remember getting Pirate's Curse on Wii U last christmas, with some of the family that came over watching me play. They commented on how sassy she was and how using her hair to attack was a unique idea.

It's moments like that which make you remember a video game more. ^^

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Well put sir, well put. On a side note: Instead of Inklings, why not Callie and Marie? They could simply be a costume swap like Olimar and Alph. Just saying that since they have actual personalities while the Inkling is simply an avatar. Also... Judd.... Meow......
Good idea. However, unfortunately, in terms of a new franchise getting representation, the main protagonist of the series always gets in first. And, if the series/franchise doesn't have a technical main protagonist.. the most iconic character capable of fighting fills that position instead.

Take the first smash for example. All of the main characters fall into this rule.

Mario debuted first, along with Link, Samus, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Yoshi, Fox, as well as the other respective main protagonists of the franchises that had their debut in the first game. Pikachu is a perfect example of the most popular icon of a franchise getting in. Since a trainer wouldn't make for a very practical fighter (while it could be possible, they would still be pulling a moveset out of thin air/giving them the Captain Falcon treatment.. and really that wouldn't have been suitable for a representative of a franchise..), they instead opted for the most recognizable pokemon in the series: Pikachu.

This very aspect is why we don't see some characters until later installments, or why some end up getting in before others. The main characters/icons always get priority in development. Whether or not that would apply for DLC is of course up for debate.. I would assume it would, as most of the characters in the Ballot for new franchises are the main protags.

While Callie and Marie would be interesting... It is worth questioning whether or not they would make it in over Inklings, as they would technically be considered the main characters... (and the player/Inkling is referred to as agent 3.. so they are important to the main storyline at least.) Really, I guess it would just be up to Sakurai.. and whether or not Callie and Marie would be considered the most iconic characters that are not the main protags of the game.. I do like the pair myself though. They are definitely interesting characters XD

Well his fans do want him in, sooo...

Either way, I do definitely like the fellow myself. I've always wanted to get the game, and will probably be getting it very soon. I didn't really like the idea of him being in smash at first myself... however, considering his moveset potential, and what I have seen of him myself, the idea has grown on me.. and I wouldn't mind seeing him in if he did get in through the ballot. (That's not to say there are some characters I would prefer :p)

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
I'm on overwatch here. This thread about Shantae makes me feel at ease. I hope that Shantae wins the ballot for DLC, and i really expect that she will perform well in the coming 2 weeks from now. Good luck to shantae. I support her to the MAX!!!

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for all of your opinions. I'm a lot more chill now then before so I'm good. I don't hate him and now I really wouldn't mind him joining any more. Of coarse I want Shantae and Quote before him but he's not bad. Not bad at all.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
By the way, weren't Banjo and Kazooie considered for the original Smash Bros?

And James Bond.

that last one is actually true.
As DoctorSanity mentioned, Indeed they were.

Just to go deeper into this subject, there have been many other characters that have been considered, or planned for the game, but end up not making the cut..:

Super Smash Bros. (64)
  • Planned:
    • Mewtwo
  • Scrapped:
    • Bowser
    • King Dedede
Bowser and Dedede were being worked on for about half of the development of the game, but then were remove shortly late into development for unknown reasons.

Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Considered:
    • Takamaru
    • Mach Rider
    • Ayumi Tachibana
    • Banjo and Kazooie
    • James Bond
    • Balloon Fighter
    • Urban Champion
    • Bubbles
    • Excitebike
  • Planned:
    • Snake
    • Sonic
    • Lucas
    • Wario
Sakurai was asked by a fan what character he would like to see in Melee, and Mach Rider was the response he gave. He was most likely joking though, as he said he ‘wanted to include him based on his funny name’. In an earlier response, he does say that his generation turns to Mach Rider or Takamaru. However, it’s unknown how much consideration was actually given into these characters as he outright stated that Takamaru’s chances of appearing in Melee were low.

Ayumi Tachibana, one of the main characters in Famicom Tantei Club, was confirmed to have been considered for Melee during a recent NicoNico interview. Sakurai decided not to include her in the final roster plan, as she lacked familiarity abroad. In the Melee emails (Japanese), Sakurai stated fans should wait for a sequel.

In an e-mail response asking about including a character from Rare (Japanese), Sakurai stated that it was difficult to include a character from Rare for various reasons. While some may see Banjo and Kazooie’s inclusion as natural, they couldn’t make it in due to ‘adult circumstances’, this most likely means copyright.

When the Ice Climbers got their Japanese Melee character page, Sakurai included other characters that were considered for the Ice Climbers spot. These include Balloon Fighter, Urban Champion, Bubbles (from Clu Clu Land) and Excitebike.

Hideo Kojima asked Sakurai if Snake could be in Melee, but the game was too far in development and he didn't make it. Later in Brawl, Sakurai asked Kojima if Snake could join the battle.

In an Australian magazine, Yuji Naka stated that Sonic the Hedgehog was planned to be in the game. It was very close to happening, but because of time constraints, it was possible. However it, “left the door open for future collaborations”.

Wario was planned for Melee. Sakurai has mentioned that he was concerned with overrepresentation of certain series, so some characters that were planned got dropped. Wario was the 3rd most famous character to join the game according to the poll after Bowser and Peach. Sakurai stated that he could add Wario if he had more time to develop the game.

Lucas was planned for inclusion in Melee. However, due to Mother 3 being ind, Ness was brought back. This is outright confirmed on Ness’ Japanese character page for Melee (Japanese) and in a reply by Sakurai.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Considered:
    • Villager
    • Nintendog
    • Blastoise (Pokemon Trainer)
    • Ridley
    • Pac-Man
    • Mii Fighters
  • Scrapped:
    • Dr. Mario (Confirmed)
    • Mewtwo (Confirmed)
    • Roy (Confirmed)
    • Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik (Tetra) (Most likely)
    • Plusle and Minun (speculated)
    • Dixie Kong (Confirmed)
The characters cut from Brawl are known as the "Forbidden 7". Dr. Mario was close to getting in, but was cut due to time restraints. Of the characters with leftover data, Mewtwo, Roy and Dixie arguably had the most work done on them. Roy has a unique victory fanfare while Mewtwo had a unique victory fanfare and a Wii remote sound.

Toon Zelda/ Toon Sheik are obvious from their filenames. However, it’s unknown whether Toon Sheik was actually Tetra or not. It is highly likely that this is the case, as Toon Link’s design was inspired from Wind Waker and Tetra was made to be Wind Waker’s Sheik. Despite this, it is not 100% confirmed as Sakurai has never talked about this character.

Files were discovered that were titled "pra&mai", which led people to believe Plusle & Minun were planned in the game, due to the fact "pra" was the first syllable of Plusle's Japanese name, and "mai" was the first syllable of Minun's Japanese name. It is unknown if these truly are the characters found in the file.

Dixie had a working prototype at one point, as she was originally envisioned to have a tag-team mechanic, just like in Donkey Kong Country 2. However due to complications in programming, she was dropped and Diddy was made into a full character by himself. Villager and Mii Fighters were planned but Sakurai thought that they were not meant to be a fighting character, so they were removed. Pac-Man also was considered by Shigeru Myiamoto, but Sakurai went against it because he thought it was "a little too farfetched".

As definitely noticeable, time constraints definitely seem to be a big culprit for characters that don't make it in.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
After what I said, does anyone else here have a fun Shantae-related memory with their friends and family?

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
After what I said, does anyone else here have a fun Shantae-related memory with their friends and family?
I actually got my girlfriend into Shantae she loved everything about the series namely the art and dialog I even helped her on her Risky's Revenge run when she first got it which ended after we boh didn't know how to get the last golden squid baby XD

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
OFF TOPIC: Man I love the new form of Greninja in the next anime that is coming out on October 29.

ON TOPIC: When is the WII U version of Risky's Revenge coming out?

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I have all three on 3DS but will get Risky's Revenge, Pirate's Curse, and Half Genie Hero on Wii U. I'm a Nintendo fan at heart and I believe that's where Shantae belongs.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
After Run Run Bodywash, with Wayforward and Terry Crews tweeting it, is it weird that I now want Terry to star in a Shantae Amiibo announcement trailer when it comes out?

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
After Run Run Bodywash, with Wayforward and Terry Crews tweeting it, is it weird that I now want Terry to star in a Shantae Amiibo announcement trailer when it comes out?
Yeah I do as well. They can do it like:

"Shantae Amiibo is so awesome that you can belly dance on top of your head!!!!" His head falls off and his body belly dances on top of it lol.

"DA-DA-DANCING THROUGHT THE DANGER!!!!!!"

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Yeah I do as well. They can do it like:

"Shantae Amiibo is so awesome that you can belly dance on top of your head!!!!" His head falls off and his body belly dances on top of it lol.

"DA-DA-DANCING THROUGH THE DANGER!!!!!!"
I was thinking of a more tradtional ad with a dash of Wayforward humor starring Terry (possibly alongside an animated Shantae)

He has quite the track record as an actor, former football player, and recently wrote a book, and is also a painter and sketchartist. He hasn't much stuff for Video Games, besides a voice for Saints Row VI, and seems like someone who's willing to try something new.

I'm sure that Wayforward getting him involved in something will certainly have more people pay attention to Shantae, and who knows, he may actually take a liking to the series.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
K Rool and Shantae represent the Japan and American desired characters.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I wonder how a Shantae Amiibo trailer with Terry would work, as an original idea.

Terry doing an interview with an animated Shantae voiced by Christina Vee?

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
Plus I think it would be weird coming up with content for the other games NOW of all times, so yeah basically half-genie hero if an amiibo ever comes out for her.

Top Bottom