• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

D

Deleted member

Hello guyz.

So, today is August the 29th, and it is also the day Shulk, my most wanted ever, has been officially revealed 1 year ago to date.

And, while it doesn't focus only on Shulk but also on Smash in general, I've just made this topic for this occasion, which I cordially invite you to read, as I also tell something special but very significant to me.

Best regards !

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Ok.. so steering away from that, just to get a topic going..

What is the dumbest/most ridiculous argument you have heard against a character campaign you like (including this one)?
About Shantae that she said too sexy and inappropriate for an E10 game. Plus that she is irrelevant to Nintendo.

About King K. Rool that he isn't request.

About Snake that he doesn't fit with the rest of the cast, and also that he is too serious, violent, dark and gore for being in Smash...when he already have done an appearance.

About Pichu that he is too weak for return.

About Layton that he can't fight.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If there is a Shantae amiibo what capabilities would you want it to have? And what ones do you think will end up happening.

Personally I'd want it so that scanning it with other Wayforward games unlocks something Shantae related. Also it'd be cool if it unlocks a customisation option in 50%genie hero that lets you mess around with Shantae's palette and save it.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
About Shantae that she said too sexy and inappropriate for an E10 game. Plus that she is irrelevant to Nintendo.

About King K. Rool that he isn't request.

About Snake that he doesn't fit with the rest of the cast, and also that he is too serious, violent, dark and gore for being in Smash...when he already have done an appearance.

About Pichu that he is too weak for return.

About Layton that he can't fight.
Pichu hurts himself when he attacks, so...

The 1# reason that the "Layton can't fight" argument doesn't hold water is because Phoenix Wright was in MvC3. Also, Wii Fit Trainer somehow got in Smash.

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
I haven't shared this here yet:

The perfect gift WayForward, along with Nintendo, could give us for the holidays:
  • Shantae: Half-Genie Hero becoming available for pre-order, with two pre-order bonuses included;
    • A code to unlock Shantae in Smash
    • Her SSB Amiibo (rather, an order for when it would launch)

Besides a 3D Shantae if it was something they could plan and budget for, I don't think I would demand anything else from WayForward for a long time if this dream was realized.

Realistically, there would probably be limited availability for that version of the pre-order. But they'd sell out in a matter of hours. If that.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Kirby was even worse than Pichu in Melee. With this way of thinking, they shouldn'the have brought him back. Also a reworked Pichu would be interesting, even with the self-damage thing.

Think about Charizard Side-B.
Now think an entire moveset like that move (long range, powerful but does self-damage).
Now put that extremely powerful moveset on a very short and fast character.

THIS is the Pichu I want to see!

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Am I the only one who thought that it would've been nice if Nintendo fully acknowledged Wayforward's 25th anniversary at Nindies@Night? C'mon, it would've benefited the company that's willingly worked hard for you for so many years.

>Motivation for Wayforward to keep producing content for Nintendo
>More exposure from Nintendo

>Possibly free cake

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
You know, originally I was only mildly curious about her, but now I really want to get into the series. Should I wait for Half-Genie Hero to come out or should I try to invest into Pirate's Curse?

Also, you can totally add me to the supporters list, too. :p I may have voted for K.Rool, but I would be happy to see Shantae in.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
You know, originally I was only mildly curious about her, but now I really want to get into the series. Should I wait for Half-Genie Hero to come out or should I try to invest into Pirate's Curse?

Also, you can totally add me to the supporters list, too. :p I may have voted for K.Rool, but I would be happy to see Shantae in.
First of all, fancy Ridley is probably the greatest icon ever.

As of now, you can easily purchase the original Shantae trilogy on your 3DS for a little under 40$, so you can do that if you'd like. Pirate's Curse is the most friendly, in terms of difficulty, out of the whole series, as it has an actually useful map.

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
The two games you should get are both available on PC for an easy download (Pirate's Curse can specifically be bought on the Wii U, but not Risky's Revenge).

Risky's Revenge is a pretty short game, but I really would recommend you get/play it first before Pirate's Curse. The thing about the latter game is that... I honestly would say it doesn't really represent the "standard" Shantae formula. The platforming's there and her primary (well, only) attack is still her hair whip, but she's temporarily lost her magic and thus in this game her genie side almost isn't shown at all. The main gimmick was that, instead of animal dances and by extention the magic meter, she finds pirate items instead. Think Metroid powerups.

Risky's Revenge is a more traditional Shantae experience with her genie spells and dances. But this is just my personal recommendation. The slight downside, as I said, is the very small game world whereas Pirate's Curse can be over seven hours long if you take your time; they go a little farther with world/environment variety as well.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Old interview with Matt Bozon from 2014, and an answer to a question about him wanting Shantae in Smash:
"Yes, I would love to play as her in Smash and I want a Shantae Amiibo. Her move set aligns nicely, since she dances to charge up her bigger moves, can get extra jumps by way of Cannon or Harpy Transformation. And she brings more girl power, and has been Nintendo exclusive since back on Game Boy. So yeah, Shantae.

But if I HAVE to choose someone else, then it’s easy. Bomberman! He’s has an enduring Nintendo legacy, comes in various colors, and his bomb-based move set would make him a blast to play."

>Bomberman
>BLAST to play

MAAAAAAATT!

Last edited:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192

If you don't mind a trip back to the Game Boy Color era, I personally say start with the first one. It's not as smooth a ride as the others but it's an excellent game.

Otherwise I definitely say start with Pirate's Curse. That's also a great game - arguably the best in the series so far, and it is a very smooth experience.

I don't recommend waiting until Half Genie Hero at all. At a minimum play Pirate's Curse first. If you do wait for HGH, I'm sure you'd enjoy it just fine, but you'd be missing out. Plus the more you play of the first three Shantae games the more hyped you'll be for HGH.

Also if you have another device you can always vote for Shantae on that one without messing up your vote for K Rool on your main device. K Rool is awesome and definitely my #2 pick.

EDIT: just read @ Children0fTheStars Children0fTheStars response and yeah, the first two Shantae games are only available for 3DS. If that's a limitation then I'd say just start with Pirate's Curse. I will actually disagree with him and say that all three are different enough from the other two that none of them can really be said to represent the "traditional" Shantae experience. Also she has plenty of attacks in all three games. He is right however that her genie transformations are absent from Pirate's Curse.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
But wasn't Risky's Revenge Director's Cut coming to Wii U?

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
As a side note, I don't think anyone posted it or brought it up yet, but Ko Takeuchi just drew yet another of WayForward's characters, this time Patricia Wagon. Saw Matt Bozon retweet it.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
did you just
Umm, yes, I asked for a link cuz I'm dumb with in comes to finding said artist on places like Twitter. And I'm a bit busy to look for the artist atm, so, yeah, a link anyone?

If I guessed right on how to link Twitter..

There was a problem fetching the tweet
K, nvm. Thanks for sharing. She looks pretty cute, I like it.

Last edited:

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
Umm, yes, I asked for a link cuz I'm dumb with in comes to finding said artist on places like Twitter. And I'm a bit busy to look for the artist atm, so, yeah, a link anyone?
Lol don't worry when he said "did you just" it wasn't the fact you were asking for a link, it was the fact you made a joke by using a "Link" icon. Whenever people make puns or jokes like that a normal response tends to be "Did you just...?" it's meant to be humorous ;)

Oh dear god that is funny xD

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Lol don't worry when he said "did you just" it wasn't the fact you were asking for a link, it was the fact you made a joke by using a "Link" icon. Whenever people make puns or jokes like that a normal response tends to be "Did you just...?" it's meant to be humorous ;)
Oh. I am really bad with jokes today, this is like the 3rd time today... Sorry @ TheRickyWill TheRickyWill , I get it now. Thanks for clearing that with me Novus.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Look at that, Nintendo! NESS came to play Shantae: Half-Genie Hero! $10 (Not really) says that Nintendo themselves sent Ness to check out Shantae to decide whether or not she was worthy of smashing down with him and the rest of Nintendo's All-Stars.
You have Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man in business suits and shades, sitting at a round table, in a dark room with a single lightbulb, determining who should get in.

:4mario:"She must-a-be tested! She seems more worthy than most of the suggestions."

You have Mega Man and Pac-Man nod, with Sonic saying something corny.

Top Bottom