• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Graveyard: Disconfirmed Character Thread (SAKURAAAAAAAAAI!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dairz

Smash Ace
Seeing Pokémon Trainer's grave and not Ridley's is kinda unfair, right now, they are in the same position (¬_¬)
Not really, characters don't transform anymore. Thats Pokemon Trainer's entire gimmick, he is dead, unless he becomes his own character and fights on his own. (The chances of that happening are abysmal)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I think people are just holding out hope until they actually see the fateful words on the screen

Space Pirate Boss
Ridley

They want to hold out until the final master sword sized nail is driven into his coffin.
Ridley's 100% confirmed to be a stage boss at this point. The only hope anyone can have is that there will be multiple versions of Ridley in the game. Anybody denying that Ridley's a boss on Pyrosphere is actually delusional.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
For the sake of this thread we should assume that sakurai isn't deceiving or lying to us, else we can doubt everything we've already listed here. Ridley should be on the list.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Even I have to admit that Ridley should go on there. He might have been one of the most popular characters that people have rooted for, but that shouldn't give him special treatment. If any other boss had been teased in this matter, we'd be quick to kill him off, but just because it's Ridley people are holding out. Sure there's the small chance he might pop up from the grave, but Ridley has done that tons of times in Metroid anyways, so just put him to rest for now.

RIP Ridley (August 6, 1986 - April 8, 2014)
More like this:
RIP Ridley:
1986-1986
1986-1994

1986-2002
woops sry 1986-2002 for real
1986-2004
1986-2007
1986-2008
woops no sry Meta Ridley 1986-2008
1986-2010
1986-2014

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If Viridi's in the graveyard, Ridley should be. Viridi's only a background element to a stage. Ridley appears to be a major interactive hazard.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
Put Ridley in the grave! Sakurai was letting fans down easy.

Imagine the anarchy that would've ensued if Sakurai straight up showed the stage hazard (Ridley) and was just like "Ridley's not playable in the game, suckas."

He was smart to go about disconfirming Ridley like that.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
If Viridi's in the graveyard, Ridley should be. Viridi's only a background element to a stage. Ridley appears to be a major interactive hazard.
On one hand, Ridley appears to be a stage feature, and Viridi was explicitly shown in the background. On the other hand, there is something to your logic - Alfonzo took the waiting game for BG chars to the next level. Viridi could be, hm, replaced by Pyrrhon. Wait, now that I try to imagine it, that makes zero sense. Oh well. Too bad, we're now counting on Alfonzo in the clouds.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Almost every game were you can play as a Mii also includes background cameos of other Miis. Even Mario Kart.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
On one hand, Ridley appears to be a stage feature, and Viridi was explicitly shown in the background. On the other hand, there is something to your logic - Alfonzo took the waiting game for BG chars to the next level. Viridi could be, hm, replaced by Pyrrhon. Wait, now that I try to imagine it, that makes zero sense. Oh well. Too bad, we're now counting on Alfonzo in the clouds.
I'd say that being a stage feature is worse than being in the background, as replacing the character becomes more difficult.

I can't imagine anybody replacing Ridley on the stage that represents the location of a Ridley boss battle in Metroid.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
I'd say that being a stage feature is worse than being in the background, as replacing the character becomes more difficult.

I can't imagine anybody replacing Ridley on the stage that represents the location of a Ridley boss battle in Metroid.
a clone of ridley....wouldnt be the first time

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
You know what, a Metroid game featuring loads of Ridleys sounds like an awesome half plot twist to me.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Toon Link and Little Mac was also disconfirmed for a big part of the fans, so I wouldn't say all of those aren't going to appear. For example, Balloon-Fight is disconfirmed by the same reason Little Mac was... but with an own stage and symbol... Anyways, Sakutrol is playing with us!

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
We don't need two Ridleys that look exactly the same. Heck, I doubt we'll see two different Ridleys because of the Toon Link thing.
Fairly certain if Ridley was playable, we'd have the iconic design, not the clone in Other M that appears to be the hazard.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Fairly certain if Ridley was playable, we'd have the iconic design, not the clone in Other M that appears to be the hazard.
We don't have the iconic design of Samus or ZSS. Why should Ridley be any different?

If Ridley were playable, his design would be heavily influenced by Other M.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
We don't have the iconic design of Samus or ZSS. Why should Ridley be any different?

If Ridley were playable, his design would be heavily influenced by Other M.
Because there's 3 Ridleys. And the most important one actually isn't the Other M one, it's the classic design.
It's like saying we'd have Conductor Link Design instead of Toon Link's tunic as it was the most recent incarnation, barring the HD rerelease of WWHD.
Same goes with Link.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Because there's 3 Ridleys. And the most important one actually isn't the Other M one, it's the classic design.
It's like saying we'd have Conductor Link Design instead of Toon Link's tunic as it was the most recent incarnation, barring the HD rerelease of WWHD.
Same goes with Link.
Fair enough. I'm still skeptical.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I still say hold off on Ridley until we actually see the stage hazard so that this thread isn't just a long string of complaining for the next 3-4 months...
It seems like a bit of an unfair double standard to give a character preferential treatment just because they're popular. Even if Sakurai flat-out deconfirms Ridley, plenty of people will still insist that Ridley will somehow be playable.

Toad was laid to rest, but if we apply the logic keeping Ridley alive to Toad he shouldn't be in the graveyard either.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh gawd just make a section called "Life Support" and put Ridley, Toad, BF, and any character that hasn't been outright deconfirmed in it. :p
No need for months of Ridley arguing until we get something concrete.

@ APC99 APC99
Why aren't characters like Lyn/Saki/Goroh/Nook in the OP?

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
They're likely being worked on. I have no idea if the OP is being updated at the moment, but so far, the last update was Thursday.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It seems like a bit of an unfair double standard to give a character preferential treatment just because they're popular. Even if Sakurai flat-out deconfirms Ridley, plenty of people will still insist that Ridley will somehow be playable.

Toad was laid to rest, but if we apply the logic keeping Ridley alive to Toad he shouldn't be in the graveyard either.
It's not the same though because we actually saw Toad as an attack and all we've seen for Ridley is a shadow. It's easy to spin a shadow but it's hard to spin an actual photo. It's not a matter of playing favorites, it's a matter of the circumstances being so spectacularly ambiguous that it doesn't yet warrant a disconfirmation stamp.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They're likely being worked on. I have no idea if the OP is being updated at the moment, but so far, the last update was Thursday.
...worked on? Can't there just be a pic of them in the game, the date of their deconfirmation, a statement saying they were deconfirmed in the Direct, and their current status?
If people want to elaborate later they can go ahead, but seems silly to hold off on having an up-to-date OP for the sake of wordiness.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Sadly, I'm unable to update the OP, but that seems good to do.
@ APC99 APC99 I think for now, it might be smart to just put a basic template of the character instead of the full bio.

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Oh gawd just make a section called "Life Support" and put Ridley, Toad, BF, and any character that hasn't been outright deconfirmed in it. :p
No need for months of Ridley arguing until we get something concrete.

@ APC99 APC99
Why aren't characters like Lyn/Saki/Goroh/Nook in the OP?
I'm sorry, I've been busy with other things, I'm at it right now! I'll make a post when all updates are done!

PLEASE FORGIVE ME MY LIFE IS IN SHAMBLES.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I'm sorry, I've been busy with other things, I'm at it right now! I'll make a post when all updates are done!

I can send you some updates via PM if you need me to. Just tell me what characters are missing at the moment.
I'm completely open and can find images quickly.
Hit me up with a PM and I'll work by quoting the main thread and sending it to you.
Just tell me who is left.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

If you're pressed for time to update the OP and don't see yourself getting to it for several days, in the future you could contact one of the mods to help you out, adding a few characters with some bare-bones information isn't overly arduous.

I'd offer now but BigAxle seems to be willing to help.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
If you're pressed for time to update the OP and don't see yourself getting to it for several days, in the future you could contact one of the mods to help you out, adding a few characters with some bare-bones information isn't overly arduous.

I'd offer now but BigAxle seems to be willing to help.
I'll try to send you 1 or 2 as well, but I'm searching through a bunch of PMs for each entry. It shouldn't take long, but a few have been added, such as Samurai Goroh and a bunch of Smash Run enemies most, if not all, written by moderators.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I think we should give up on ridley tbh, while ridley has been cloned multiple times I just think it would be a little weird to see ridley fighting ridley

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
It's not the same though because we actually saw Toad as an attack and all we've seen for Ridley is a shadow. It's easy to spin a shadow but it's hard to spin an actual photo. It's not a matter of playing favorites, it's a matter of the circumstances being so spectacularly ambiguous that it doesn't yet warrant a disconfirmation stamp.
Sakurai was clearly addressing the creature who made that shadow. The only way the fact that only a shadow was shown saves ridley from being a boss is if another creature made it.

And if that's not ridley casting that shadow, please take all of my money and shoot me in the foot because that's definitely ridley.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I don't believe ridley is in but if he was it should be a simple thing to make the hazard disappear when he is present.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Ridley's 100% confirmed to be a stage boss at this point. The only hope anyone can have is that there will be multiple versions of Ridley in the game. Anybody denying that Ridley's a boss on Pyrosphere is actually delusional.
Emerson Spartz said the same thing about HermionexHarry shippers, and look where we are now. Let's just wait for the REAL confirmation instead of a tease.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
ALRIGHT, HUGE NINTENDO DIRECT UPDATE 1 IS COMPLETE!

This includes entries by famous Smashboardians, including:

@FalKoopa
@BKupa666
@Thekewlusername
@Arcadenik
@MopedOfJustice
@Captain Hotcakes
@BluePikmin11
@andimidna
@Young Horsetail
@Xenoblaze
@shinpichu
@Scoliosis Jones
@IsmaR
@Pacack
@JamesDNaux
@Mario_and_Sonic_Guy
@ Opossum Opossum
@Headcrab Jackalope
@ Admiral Pit Admiral Pit
@YoshiandToad
@ Gunla Gunla (who has saved my butt several times now and needs some credit here)

And covers most of the disconfirmations in the Nintendo Direct from April 8th! But, what do you say? I'm still missing some? Well, don't worry, friend! There are several on their way, with other Smashboards users writing them as we speak! RIGHT?

And, as a bonus incentive, an On Life Support section is coming up, including characters such as Lip, Mii, Pokemon Trainer and Ridley!

That's all under construction now, as you s- Oh, looks like something's wrong at the construction site.

We'll be finished sometime this week, so don't worry!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ridley is stuck with inconclusive

Ridley shadow from a couple of pictures may have prooved he's smaller than brawl ridley either smallest boss or playable at this point

Besides why would sakurai do pikachu instead of samus (beside pikachu and samus working together to beat him in SSE) and the camera is significantly zoomed in on that point of the shadow

If we get to E3 with no Potd with him in it ridley might be a lock to be shown at E3

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sakurai was clearly addressing the creature who made that shadow. The only way the fact that only a shadow was shown saves ridley from being a boss is if another creature made it.

And if that's not ridley casting that shadow, please take all of my money and shoot me in the foot because that's definitely ridley.
Yes, it's clearly Ridley but we don't know why Sakurai was so vague about it and didn't just outright show him, especially when Sakurai has never been one to "let down fans easy." I'm not suggesting any massive conspiracy theory, I'm just saying let them show Ridley first before outright confirming it. Besides, with the way Sakurai usually handles things it could just be shown in a Pic of the Day unceremoniously (like most of the disconfirmations, truth be told) so I'd give it until then.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'm honored to be mentioned there, @ APC99 APC99
It may be just a Monoeye, it's still Kid Icarus related. :p I honestly am looking forward to do more Kid Icarus goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom