• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: The (will be) comprehensive guide of sonic match-ups

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
so I'm hoping that this thread can stick around once the game hits american shores and we get more information on sonic and he's matchups. So far, I have only my experience to go off of, so I'm open to other opinions and some discussion. this first post will be pretty bare-bones, but once I get back to my college (with high speed internet) in a week, I hope to have enough input for a good edit.

all right... I haven't played against enough people who I deem "good enough" with all enough characters, so I'll only post what I've got.

Good Matchups
- Bowser: Most of bowser's attacks are really slow and have a good amount of lag after their execution. Sonic can take advantage of these frames of weakness for Bowser and punish him. Also, bowser is quite large, meaning that you are going to connect with a lot of attacks . The bad, however is that it will take a LOT of damage before sonic can reliably KO Bowser, and not much damage for bowser to KO sonic... so patience is the key. Don't think you'll just gimp his recovery though, because you can't penetrate his Up+B and his koopacide is always a threatif you try to hinder his recovery.

-DK: haven't played against him much, but so far, he's just a bowser that you can gimp... yay!

-Wolf: I'm not sticking by this one quite as strong, because I have yet to play a really good space animal, but I can't tell you how many times I've gimped wolf... guys who play against decent space animals with a decent sonic... let me know if you mirror this or not.

Even Matchups
-Dedede: Dedede is, on the whole, a better character than sonic, at least in our eyes so far, but he is big, and slow like bowser and DK. You can't really gimp his recovery aside from the occaional spring drop that leads to a stage spike, or edgehog from the hedgehog. Not to mention that sonic can spindash right trough waddle deees and waddle doos for an easy apporach. Despite all that sonic can do to dedede, however, dedede doesn't need to do much to KO a sonic, and that huge mallet gives him range that the other heavies don't have (besides Ike I guess)

-Ganondorf: ganondorf suffers the same problems as the other heavies, but has an easier time hitting sonic than most and is strong enough to KO him at really low damages. Sonic fares a little better against ganon than DDD in my experience, but a little worse than he does against Koopa or DK, so I'm not sure which category to put him in here.

Bad matchups
- Snake: Snake's stregth and weight makes him a pain to try to KO without being KOd yourself. Unless you deactivate his mines with a spring drop, they can really cramp your style. you can rack up damage on him while he's hanging from his cypher, and, if you are really lucky, you can gimp his cypher early on... but otherwise, he'll punish you for hurting him the second he realeases his cypher... luckily... your spin dash can render his remote rocket useless and you can use his grenades against him, but the fact that he has such an easy time KOing you while you have such a tough time KOing him makes him a pain to say the least.

-Toon Link: He's quick, his hitboxes are disjointed and high priority making it hard for sonic to connect and his projectiles make him hard to approach (except bombs, which you should be able to use against him.) His Dair should be a constant threat against your air game, and his ground game beats your too... so he'll be tough.

Ugly Matchups
-Luigi: He's stronger than sonic, his kill moves are faster than sonic's, he's heavier than sonic and his priority is RIDICULOUS making him hard to approach. I'm not quite sure, but I think that ANY of luigi's aerials can beat ANY of sonic's. As far as approaching with specail attacks, his tornado beats your spindashes. The fact that you can still Gimp his side B recovery is one of the few ways you can kill him besides a lucky Fsmash or Bair. I'm finding it hard to believe that any amount of skill can overcome a decent luigi's dominance in this matchup.
-Kirby: Same story as luigi basically. He might be less powerful, and lighter, but he's also nearly impossible to gimp and much harder to hit, so he balances to almost just as ugly a matchup. Prepare to get 3 stocked some.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
no actually... omni is the only person in our group to play marth... and I haven't 1 v 1d marth enough for me to confidently rate him. Especially it could really go either way, sonic might be able to get his attacks in in such a way that marth can't land many... but, then again, sonic hates high priority, strong, large hitboxed moves and marth has those. I've heard some people are doing okay in the sonic vs. marth matchup... but I can't weigh in on it yet. I'll be sure to do so ASAP, however

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Did you see ether's Sonic vs. Toon Link? He doesn't have that big a problem against him, and they were roughly even.

Also I've fought decent Ikes. I see them as a neutral matchup (It would be GOOD, but Sonic completely destroying Ike only applies if there's a gap in Sonic's favor). Ike hits hard and can punish predictability but he is SO EASILY gimped it's not even funny. Also punishing lag is fun.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
in response to you guys:
-Toon Link: okay... his experience is his... mine is mine... I wonder what will become the common view on this matchup... who's to say... but I can't see a reason why toon link wouldn't be favored here.

-Pit: this one might depnd on the playstyle of the pit and the sonic. Pit's high priority air game destroys sonic's.. as does his higher priority ground game BUT sonic's spindash goes under palutena's arrow and reaches pit right quick... and if sonic can get in close, he can normally do quite a bit to pit before pit can retaliate. Also, pit is lighter than average in weight so sonic can KO earlier than he normally can.. which is nice... and if the Pit is dumb enough to try to recover low, the spring drop gimps his UpB AMAZINGLY... but the pit I play against isn't top notch... still gives me a LOT of trouble though... but pit seems like a good character, so this should be expected... I see this matchup favoring pit, but I wouldn't be surprised either if good sonics found a way to counter pits.

-Lucario: Can't say... he's got great priority... but my only firend who really plays him heavily plays an almost entirely runaway game... which is stupid against something that can so easily outrun you. I've accidentally run into an aura sphere by catching up with it once... heheheh... just thought I'd throw that in here... oh... I gimped him okay.... but I can't really weigh in too kmuch on this matchup because I didn't fight a good, competitive-style lucario

-Pt and Jiggly: see the problem is... I's also the jiggly and the PT of my bunch so, being unable to play myself, I can;t honestly rate them... besides... rating PT is rating 3 charcters... they are all so different, but I can't see any reason jiggs would pose much of a problem besides being ungimpable.... and I'm pretty sure that the spindash beats the rollout if they hit each other... just FYI... but I could be wrong about that.

LuCKy

Smash Master
Hedgedawg guy.......cool thread just wondering on your thoughts on olimar.......i havnt played one myself with sonic,but when i did play one i was like trying out marth and i could barley tell what he was doing lol and he was like ****** me.so i just started spamming fair and like i started winning but it was too late in the game and i lost....hehe but i seen a couple people say its a pretty easy match for sonic.

seems like you know more about match ups then i do since ive only played about 15 of the characters with sonic,and only about 8 of the players are good with those characters

well im looking forward to seeing this updated

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Sonic does well against Olimar. Olimar has a weak spot in the diagonals, and Sonic can easily get into that space. The only way Olimar can counter it is by getting into the air, too, but he has to predict Sonic doing it, and dedicate himself to the air long before Sonic gets there. If he does that, a shield grab or usmash solves that problem.

Also, Sonic eats Pikmins for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I'm seriously, one dash, and they're in his tummeh. =D!

Marth seems even/in Sonic's favour. We'll see where that goes.

Lucas seems to be in Lucas' favour, Ness is slightly in Sonic's favour. Pretty much, if someone owns the air, they tend not to have a hot ground game, which Sonic excels at. If someone has a better ground game, or air-to-ground game, though, he's in trouble. Think of ICs from SSBM, and how they were owned by Peach. Same basic concept, only he's not completely helpless in the air. Also, no worries about him being seperated from his shoes by dsmash or FCed aerials. :D!

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
hmm... olimar... well... Zeal is right.. it seems that sonic's moves just DESTROY pikmin if olimar is tossing them... but olimar is just so good... his aerials hit so hard, so do his smashes.... it's hard for sonic to penetrate (though he's more able to on a diagona; approach, as zeal says) once again, I'm thinking that my rating of olimar is a bit biased (I wish I'd played against pyro's more) because our main olimar man is a bit of a... well... let's just say that if we play FFAs, he'll be on his first life with no damage when the rest of us are nearly dead... he's a bit of a camper... it's frustrating really... so he plays poorly in 1 v 1s because he doesn't know how..... Anywho, just based on my dealings with olimar... I can't see the matchup favouring sonic just becuause olimar packs a lot of punch for someone so small.... a LOT. I really think that he'd KO sonic before sonic would him... I mean... it's not like it takes much damage to Ko an olimar.... but, he IS kinda smasll and. thusly, harder to hit, and sonic has some trouble connecting anyway. I don't think I'm good enough to weigh in on this yet, but I intend on practicing a lot of matchups next week.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Grab him and uthrow. Massive profit. You can kill him around 70, due to his horrible tether recovery. Springboard spiking is insult to injury, and when you've already killed all but 3 of his pikmin (something that happens a LOT with this match-up), he's ******** easy to gimp. Sonic's favour, IMHO.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
probably... he'll go as a good matchup nest edit... but I think I'll have to put ROB as a bad matchup... any disagreements with that?

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Can't really say, either way. The only guy that currently plays ROB here SUCKS, so bad. Go ahead and list it as bad for now. Once I play a decent ROB, I'll put in my two cents.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
kay... his high priority aerials cause a lot of problems... as does the fact that he's darn near impossible to gimp

Top Bottom