• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Gates of Hell: Bayonetta Social Thread

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I'm playing on 3DS and I'm having trouble making the Side B downward strike. I'll do it sometimes accidentally, but haven't figured out how to do it manually. I've tried tilting the stick down-right, but if I go too far, it just does the witch time backflip. Am I doing it wrong?
Try slowing down your input. On the 3ds, you really need to make a clean motion.

16Pains

Smash Rookie
NNID
16Pains
so many people have 0-death vids on baynetta
what do u expect from the worldwide ballot winner? tbh id be mad if she was the worldwide most voted and was as bad as jigglypuff

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
So when Sakurai said "an extremely long taunt" I was hoping it would be the entire 6 minute dance sequence from the end of Bayonetta.

I'm kinda disappointed.

Last edited:

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
just found d-tilt combos into Uair at kill percents (in training mode). Need to test this further with someone but I'm tired. I love this character. She's hard though.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Maybe its just the 3DS playerbase, but people today seem salty AF on for glory. Like, MAD salty.

I played one ryu who lost and then switched to shiek and did nothing but grab into upair and taunted. Still beat him, but damn dude, chill. I've also run into a ton of spammers (link mostly, one samus, and a few robins) and people who switched to spammy characters after losing to my day 1 bayo. Like, you can just feel it in the way they move and play. Whats up with that? Anyone else experience especially salty players today?

As a side note, **** corrin. That range is disgusting.

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
Keeping in mind, of course, that Training Mode and CPUs don't directly translate to how a real player would react, right?

.............Right?

Last edited:

Tomo009

Smash Apprentice
So I don't want to make a combo or a setup thread or anything but here's some stuff I have.

fmsash on BF kills Sheik 81% at ledge
usmash on BF kills Sheik 90%

dair (landing) on BF kills Sheik at the ledge at 73%
bair on BF kills Sheik at the ledge at 98%
nair (1st spin) on BF kills Sheik at the ledge at 132%

uthrow double jump uair kills Sheik 116% but doesn't combo

upB > sideB > sideB > uair on BF kills Sheik at 108%

uthrow > jump > upB > sideB > sideB > uair on BF kills Sheik at 76%

also dtilt confirms into RAR bair which sweet spotted can kill silly early as I showed up there and it works even into the mid 100s

I need to test some of this stuff on a human opponent though... dunno how the upB > sideB > sideB thing will hold up to DI, it's a combo according to training mode though

Last edited:

SameOldG

Smash Rookie
Interested to know what happens to the fsmash on counter, I fsmashed on cape and it spun bayonetta around, the fist however hit Mario square in the face! Probably has to do with the range/timing

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
Hey guys, can someone please explain to me how to perform a downward side-b? I've noticed Bayo performs it automatically when jumping near the ledge but am struggling in replicating the move on stage. I was able to pull it off a couple of times but that was it, I really don't get it.

Benishigure

You need to MOVE.
Hey guys, can someone please explain to me how to perform a downward side-b? I've noticed Bayo performs it automatically when jumping near the ledge but am struggling in replicating the move on stage. I was able to pull it off a couple of times but that was it, I really don't get it.
Quarter circle forward.

Tilt the stick down, then quickly move it left/right in a curve motion and press B.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
God I love this character.

A few more observations.

-Her jab is really, REALLY good. Like, easily one of the best in the game. High damage, cant DI away, and continues to link until very high percents.
-Dash attack is good for catching rolls, since it's slightly delayed.
-Bayo doesnt seem to have a "get off me" move.
-Bayo seems to struggle to kill outside of witch time.
-Holding upair is really, REALLY good for catching airdodges.
-Bayo can duck under certain projectiles (fox's laser, and other bayo's bullet arts).
-Downsmash spikes (and people dont seem to know this yet....that poor corrin).
-ALWAYS sideB or upB before jumping when recovering.
-When witch time activates, you can still be hit by an active hitbox, so be wary of that before going for the punish.
-witch time into fully charged fsmash into taunt is a true combo.

Last edited:

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
A bunch of people are gonna try to do that in for glory and kill themselves in the process, I guarantee it.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
God I love this character.

A few more observations.

-Her jab is really, REALLY good. Like, easily one of the best in the game. High damage, cant DI away, and continues to link until very high percents.
-Dash attack is good for catching rolls, since it's slightly delayed.
-Bayo doesnt seem to have a "get off me" move.
-Bayo seems to struggle to kill outside of witch time.
-Holding upair is really, REALLY good for catching airdodges.
-Bayo can duck under certain projectiles (fox's laser, and other bayo's bullet arts).
-Downsmash spikes (and people dont seem to know this yet....that poor corrin).
-ALWAYS sideB or upB before jumping when recovering.
-When witch time activates, you can still be hit by an active hitbox, so be wary of that before going for the punish.
-witch time into fully charged fsmash into taunt is a true combo.
Good observations, but Down smash being a spike was known since her reveal.

SameOldG

Smash Rookie
Think her up air (hold) and nair (hold) are pretty scary/spammable and a two hit jab combo can bait out an attack to use witch time on

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Good observations, but Down smash being a spike was known since her reveal.
The corrin I faced didnt seem to know that. :D

I spiked him TWICE, back to back, each time taking a stock. It was glorious.

Last edited:

1up_Regal

Smash Rookie
I've been absolutely unable to reproduce this. Sheik always falls out of my second uSpecial even though it true combos
After the second upb, the opponent falls right beside you. You must be quick inputting the side B.

Last edited:

ProtoManDan

Smash Rookie
NNID
zekrom025
I've been trying to pocket her smashes as Villager to no avail, could someone confirm this?

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
After the second upb, the opponent falls right beside you. You must be quick inputting the side B.
Thanks, I'll keep trying. If I continue to be stupid, I'll just post a webm.

I'm at work now but had enough time to play her for about an hour this morning.

I suck lol, I keep forgetting to uSpecial offstage before I jump and die a stupidly low percentages.

I play her like I play ZSS, which actually somewhat works.
Her bAir, uAir and dAir feel like a softer version of ZSS' respective aerials.
Her bAir is actually a pretty good kill move too, around 130% when most other things won't combo anymore.
Falling uAir is a thing too and can be a setup for a second uAir (kills at high %) or an uSpecial which of course leads into other stuff.
I feel like her nSpecial is solid, not too much ending lag, the angle is good too and the damage output is quite high for a projectile.
Also SH nAir bullets as pseudo SH laser are a thing.

Depending on how her options on shield end up being, I can easily see her near the top of high tier.

Last edited:

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Random thoughts after playing in FG's horrible lag for a bit:

Up-B OoS is based
Landing with QCF Side B seems pretty safe and really helps her get back to the stage
Holding Nair is an amazing edgeguard. Nair is great in general.
Non-smash kill moves are few. I've been using gimps, Dair by the edge, and (at high percents) Uair
No one wants to approach me when I'm holding B lol
I hate FG

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
fAir and nAir can hit standing characters on SH while rising. This is very important for our OOS options.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Umm as much as I hate to say it.... I think Bayonetta may be broken
Already called her FAir being really damn good earlier but never mind that; what in the WORLD is up with that DAir? That has to be the safest descending spike in the game; it looks more ridiculous than Game & Watch's. People are in for bad times if she catches you with that off stage.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
I spent a good while just checking out Bayonetta's animations in training mode at 1/4 speed. They're so good. Her teetering animation is hilarious while her ledge and forward rolls are fabulous. She also does the post-verse air kiss animation after using an Assist Trophy or a Special Flag. IIRC, someone wanted that to be a victory animation, but at least it's there.

Bayonetta reminds me of Ryu in that she doesn't really click with you very easily. I still have a hard time deciding what move I should use in each situation and I often mess up my recovery because I don't Witch Twist before double jumping. Still having fun though.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
If you ask me (and you didnt), we probably shouldnt be concerning ourselves too heavily with stuff like "omg 0-death cambuuz" and instead, just focus on getting a feel for the character and how she operates for now. All that advanced, hype stuff can come later when we're more comfortable with bayo (giggity).

I've already played 50 matches on FG and I think she's hella fun. Dont be afraid to take your day 1 bayo into the hallowed halls of FG. It's all part of the learning process.

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
If you ask me (and you didnt), we probably shouldnt be concerning ourselves too heavily with stuff like "omg 0-death cambuuz" and instead, just focus on getting a feel for the character and how she operates for now. All that advanced, hype stuff can come later when we're more comfortable with bayo (giggity).

I've already played 50 matches on FG and I think she's hella fun. Dont be afraid to take your day 1 bayo into the hallowed halls of FG. It's all part of the learning process.
0-Death combos are pretty uninteresting anyway. They are either DI-able, extremely situational or will get patched out.
>inb4 no more patches
just no more DLC, of course bugs and unwanted stuff will get patched out

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
A bunch of people are gonna try to do that in for glory and kill themselves in the process, I guarantee it.
I fought several Bayonettas.

About 10 different ones.

About 20 different attempts.

Only one attempt worked.

And I was playing Charizard. I'm a fat mofo.

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
BTW, I forgot to mention this before, but just in case you guys havent already figured it out...

When you're charging Bullet Climax (neutral B) you can cancel it with a roll or shield, just like if you were charging samus' power shot. So when in doubt, you can just duck out of there.

Top Bottom