• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Gates of Hell: Bayonetta Social Thread

Morbi

Scavenger
Aiight lol and it's fine; thanks. x3 This is the last post I'm making about this to avoid derailing. Let's just call it a way to make your Bayonetta avatar look spiffy (as to be somewhat on topic)

-First, you want a background (like my starry background)
-Then, you want your Bayonetta image
-Using the pen tool, trace the outline of Bayonetta's eyes and fill 'em in white on a layer above everything else
-Then, move your background image above the layer with Bayo on it.
-Right click that background image and click "Create Clipping Mask"
-Apply additional effects or whatever, if you want, like glowing!
-Do these steps again for each character you want to look like this
-And my actual background is just a lower opacity version of the original background

I wanted to add Bayonetta's moon instead of stars to celebrate her getting in, but it didn't feel as quality, and I didn't wanna lean too much towards just her when I have other actual mains.

She's gonna be up there with my mains though, I'm pretty sure.

Anyone think she won't even be S, or even SS tier, but some new tier altogether? #BayonettaPlatinumTier
I doubt it. If Sakurai goes out of his way to mention the start-up lag, well, it will probably be noticeable. In addition to "the more moves you use, the more end-lag you have" information, I believe that Sakurai is trying to balance her seemingly over-powered design with a lot of lag that is not traditionally seen on agile characters.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Long story short, Bayonetta is a character that will require a lot of thought to play effectively.
This is what every low tier main says when a character is bad. Ahhhhhhhhh stop you're scaring me

Some things I'm worried about:
  • tall
  • apparently slow attacks
  • nothing seems broken off the bat
Keep in mind I'm wishing for top tier ability. Right now my main question is how's she gonna beat Sheik.

Some lovely things:
  • Witch Time seems great. Burgundy Burgundy thinks the timing will be strict, but if its like the game, Bat Within made that window ENORMOUS. Almost untouchable and if we get that I'mma freak out.
  • Bullet Arts is a fox laser and that's welcome.
  • Recovery looks excellent.
By the look of things, she seems very faithfully translated. She was a MONSTER in her games, and if we can get that same power level I think we'll have something very competitive.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
**** that, where's Luka?

Homeboy is one of my favorite characters in the game
Unfortunately, due to the time constraints for the final DLC, we only get a small portion of the series. However, the next installment will provide a huge opportunity to provide a treasure trove of bayonetta trophies: 1 and 2.

Even I imagined them being in there whenever the next smash installment comes.

I.E. I feel envious of envisioning Platinum games being the next developer behind Smash 5 so they can show their traits PLATINUM GAMES STYLE! Glass (because SMASH GLASS!), Bronze, Silver, Gold, Multi-tier Platinum!

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I doubt it. If Sakurai goes out of his way to mention the start-up lag, well, it will probably be noticeable. In addition to "the more moves you use, the more end-lag you have" information, I believe that Sakurai is trying to balance her seemingly over-powered design with a lot of lag that is not traditionally seen on agile characters.
Yeah that makes a lot of sense, because "infinite combo potential" screams overtly broken.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
So looking at the Pit Blushing scene..

If they do blush, Nintendo is likely to just make it specific male characters. Or just Pit and Dark Pit.

Not trying to be homophobic or anything, so i apologize if that came off that way.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
This is what every low tier main says when a character is bad. Ahhhhhhhhh stop you're scaring me
Very true, but no matter what tier she ends up being in, you can't deny that Bayonetta is not a character one can just pick up and play. It will definitely take time to learn how to play her effectively, especially considering damn near all her normals are combo attacks in and of themselves.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Hinata Hinata I do hope she is very complicated. I want a lot of depth and it looks like we're getting it.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Hinata Hinata I do hope she is very complicated. I want a lot of depth and it looks like we're getting it.
I have no doubt Bayonetta will be the one of the most technical characters in this game. Yeah, we have Shulk with his Monado Arts, and Robin with the limited use mechanic, but Bayonetta is built to literally play like her source game. Her combo system will be insane once people figure out how to use it efficiently.

_SoRa_

Smash Cadet
I have no doubt Bayonetta will be the one of the most technical characters in this game. Yeah, we have Shulk with his Monado Arts, and Robin with the limited use mechanic, but Bayonetta is built to literally play like her source game. Her combo system will be insane once people figure out how to use it efficiently.
Of course, She is will be super technical to play as showed in the trailer all the combos you can get, I really liked that Bayo<3 is in the game, I voted for her and Isaac in the ballot. Super excited!

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Maybe I'm just main-projecting, but looking at the trailer I think that her main issues are going to be similar to Palu's: Bad CQC and difficulty killing. We haven't even seen all her moves and she's obviously not done yet, so I can't say for sure, but Sakurai did mention her moves having slow start up, and we only see one non-smash move kill and that's at the top of the screen at ??? percent--and those Smashes are not fast.

Her capitalization is obviously going to be completely bonkers though and that could easily make up for it.

Her recovery could use some more distance but it does seem flexible as hell, so that probably won't hold her back too bad.

I hope the cool down on Neutral B is short so I can run off and B-reverse it to edgeguard

I don't know what Little Mac will ever be able to do to get back to the stage vs. Bayo's Downsmash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

If they do blush, Nintendo is likely to just make it specific male characters. Or just Pit and Dark Pit.

Not trying to be homophobic or anything, so i apologize if that came off that way.
As an LGBT person, I don't really care, though it'd be nice to see

Here's how I think Bae-O will work. Her combos are meant to rack up the damage and her kill moves are saved for when using Witch Time

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Im so glad she's in and IDC where she is on the Tier list I've been waiting for so long for this. I voted for her and Lloyd Irving and Im glad since both kinda got in haha~ I can't wait till February!

PK Gaming

Smash Lord

Isn't that Pit's normal reaction to getting grabbed?

Last edited:

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX

It might've been edited for the sake of the trailer, because Bayo also talked midfight, with the screen centering on her as her mouth actually moved as she spoke.

Palutina

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jerkllandong1st
I hope she calls Pit, Mario, pikachu, and Megaman "little one" in one of her win quotes.

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
Can we all just take a moment and appreciate that amazing dancing taunt? She is automatically at the top of the Taunting Tier List.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I know that this might sound silly, but I've often had the impression that Bayonetta is the polar opposite of Rosalina. With Rosalina, she's a nice and caring individual, and someone that you'd feel comfortable around.

Bayonetta, however, does not feel like a comfortable person to be around, and she can give others bad vibes as well.
Eh, I played the games, and I gotta say, she's quite good with children. You feel safe around her, and she is adamant about protection. I mean, who I really feel uneasy beeing near to is Ganondorf...

As long as you don't try to kill Bayonetta, it's likely that she's like any other woman. With a cheeky personality ofc.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
omg I love her taunts
Taunt -> Witch Time is gonna be my favorite thing to do ever.
Also I hope it's a rule that every Bayo Main must taunt after pulling a full WT off

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
As a Melee/PM player who has spent a good year trying to get into S4 through weekly visits to a friend's house (Sheik/Falcon/Mario FG warrior lol...so not optimized play, took him to a local weekly once and he got bodied pretty early, but enough to style on someone who isn't consistently practicing and keeps up with meta) hoooooly hell, this has me hyped. Her moveset is just so unique. The time freeze thing and wicked witch has me especially excited; I'm only getting to face characters that can pressure and combo me to hell while I'm still readjusting to movement/shield/no SDI mechanics in every session, so those counter/parry options are more than welcome <3. Her side-b and up-b also looking like stupidly fun and intuitive combo extenders is a huge plus.

I have no Bayonetta background, but as a character she's checking all the right boxes. Just comes off as so damned cool lol, and the art style/personality has really been getting me itching to try one or both of her games. If I had to pick only one (for money's sake, not because of interest), which one would you all recommend? I have a Wii and PS3, although hopefully her release will have me convinced to drop a load for a Wii U eventually lol...poor college life.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Considering Bayonetta 2 is Wii U exclusive, it looks like you'll have to be content with the first game.

However, I like the first one more than the second, so the fact that it's the only one you can get could be for the better.

Both are fantastic games, though.

Last edited:

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Was it said how her taunt is cancelled? I'm pretty sure it was only that super long dance and not all three of them.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
As a Melee/PM player who has spent a good year trying to get into S4 through weekly visits to a friend's house (Sheik/Falcon/Mario FG warrior lol...so not optimized play, took him to a local weekly once and he got bodied pretty early, but enough to style on someone who isn't consistently practicing and keeps up with meta) hoooooly hell, this has me hyped. Her moveset is just so unique. The time freeze thing and wicked witch has me especially excited; I'm only getting to face characters that can pressure and combo me to hell while I'm still readjusting to movement/shield/no SDI mechanics in every session, so those counter/parry options are more than welcome <3. Her side-b and up-b also looking like stupidly fun and intuitive combo extenders is a huge plus.

I have no Bayonetta background, but as a character she's checking all the right boxes. Just comes off as so damned cool lol, and the art style/personality has really been getting me itching to try one or both of her games. If I had to pick only one (for money's sake, not because of interest), which one would you all recommend? I have a Wii and PS3, although hopefully her release will have me convinced to drop a load for a Wii U eventually lol...poor college life.
The first one was animated. The anime has a few... wrong parts, but the general story is still correct.
Wrong parts like... she is in a completely wrong place, or does something she didn't do in the game, or just differently, but over all, it's fine.
Bayo 2 is more forgiving for newcomers, the first bayo needed super tight timeframe executions and was fairly hard.
If I'd reccomend one, I'd say wait for a WiiU, to buy the DLC character, and then buy Bayo 1&2 for WiiU (you get 20€ off if you bought one of the two, and want to buy the other.)
Or just watch Bayo 1 as let's play/anime, and wait for Bayo 2as WiiU game.
I wouldn't miss out on such a nice gameplay.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Was it said how her taunt is cancelled? I'm pretty sure it was only that super long dance and not all three of them.
Not in the traditional sense. The trailer said that they could be ended early at any point in the dance, since they'd otherwise be a bit long.

The first one was animated. The anime has a few... wrong parts, but the general story is still correct.
Wrong parts like... she is in a completely wrong place, or does something she didn't do in the game, or just differently, but over all, it's fine.
Bayo 2 is more forgiving for newcomers, the first bayo needed super tight timeframe executions and was fairly hard.
If I'd reccomend one, I'd say wait for a WiiU, to buy the DLC character, and then buy Bayo 1&2 for WiiU (you get 20€ off if you bought one of the two, and want to buy the other.)
Or just watch Bayo 1 as let's play/anime, and wait for Bayo 2as WiiU game.
I wouldn't miss out on such a nice gameplay.
I'll prob end up with the first game, since I can't get the second on WiiU for now. It was more to stall the hype, as if I do get a WiiU, I'll almost surely get the sequel eventually lol. Thanks for all the advice tho! Actually fairly interested in Bayo 1 if it has tighter input windows.

But Jesus...if I am convinced, buying a WiiU + S4 + all the DLCs is gonna kill me. That stuff really adds up. +Bayo 2 ideally, too.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Oh hey, I didn't even notice:

Madama Butterfly is still her shadow in the splash art. :o

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Also I hope it's a rule that every Bayo Main must taunt after pulling a full WT off
Taunt -> Witch Time when your opponent inevitably interrupts you -> Taunt again as if to say "Did I say you could interrupt my dance?"

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Eh, I played the games, and I gotta say, she's quite good with children. You feel safe around her, and she is adamant about protection. I mean, who I really feel uneasy beeing near to is Ganondorf...

As long as you don't try to kill Bayonetta, it's likely that she's like any other woman. With a cheeky personality ofc.
Still, knowing that Bayonetta can summon a demon who can devour living things doesn't make you feel good, especially if that very demon turned against her before.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Still, knowing that Bayonetta can summon a demon who can devour living things doesn't make you feel good, especially if that very demon turned against her before.
In Bayonetta 2, where Gomorrah turns against her, the story is basically "save your friend" by the way.

She may be a witch using black magic and demons, she definitely is a reliable heroine!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
In Bayonetta 2, where Gomorrah turns against her, the story is basically "save your friend" by the way.

She may be a witch using black magic and demons, she definitely is a reliable heroine!
Too bad that she's considered a threat by the angels, who are typically portrayed to be heroic warriors (which is the case with Pit). Even Rosalina feels like an angel with her love and care for the Lumas.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I headcanon the Bayonetta X :4pit::4darkpit::4palutena: relationship as more of a friendly rivalry, rather than Bayonetta actually wanting to kill them.

Edit: Actually, more like a rivalry with :4darkpit::4palutena:, with :4pit:living in constant paranoia over the fact that they let an angel killer into smash.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Too bad that she's considered a threat by the angels, who are typically portrayed to be heroic warriors (which is the case with Pit). Even Rosalina feels like an angel with her love and care for the Lumas.
To be fair, the angels of her realm are... well, kinda more like demons. Or eldrich abominations.
She wouldn't even kill them if they weren't hunting her... except for demon pacts/ect.

Edit: But yeah, I get what you mean. It's more like don't judge a book on it's cover kind of thing, in smash she is without a doubt portrait asa badass teasing angel huntress.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Ugh Feb. is so close yet so far. At least we don't have to wait as long as Lucas.
Speaking of Lucas, we also didn't expect him to be confirmed. So if we are lucky (I mean really lucky), maybe Wolf or Snake will be back.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Speaking of Lucas, we also didn't expect him to be confirmed. So if we are lucky (I mean really lucky), maybe Wolf or Snake will be back.
I'm still holding on for wolf for Star Fox Zero. 8 would be a good number of DLC fighters as opposed to 7. But still, I'm not expecting it

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm still holding on for wolf for Star Fox Zero. 8 would be a good number of DLC fighters as opposed to 7. But still, I'm not expecting it
Yeah chances are, we're pretty much done with DLC after Corrin, Bayonetta, and the remaining Mii custom parts are released.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I noticed something interesting when watching the Japan trailer. When they have Bayonetta in her classic costume she speaks with her english voice. I'm not sure if that was possibly a mistake or if they plan to have her classic costume be paired with her english voice in the JP version of the game.

I believe that, for the first game's Japan release, they used the English audio and gave it subtitles, while the second game had Japanese voice acting in the Japanese version. I might be wrong, but it might be a reference to that.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I don't know where people got the idea that Shovel Knight was gonna be included in Smash but at least we don't have to worry about that anymore at least.
The biggest reason has to be that Shovel Knight amiibo. Most people thought that his amiibo could be used in Smash if he was confirmed.
Not as ridiculous as Mario's Utilt loop of doom :troll:
Oh c'mon, that loop can still be escaped by DI lol.
I noticed something interesting when watching the Japan trailer. When they have Bayonetta in her classic costume she speaks with her english voice. I'm not sure if that was possibly a mistake or if they plan to have her classic costume be paired with her english voice in the JP version of the game.

I'm guessing that was intentionally...

I have also heard that one of Corrin's move tag Japanese's presentation was misspelled.
Of course, if Wolf's really back, it will be just lucky...

Top Bottom