• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Gates of Hell: Bayonetta Social Thread

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hey, guys!

I finally made my way over here. I plan on sticking around for a while too. I'm super hyped for Bayonetta, even with the lack of my dearest Snake, I can definitely tell I'm going to have tons of fun with her.

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
The Umbra Witch is going to put Sheik and Zero Suit Samus on their knees XD

:4bayonetta::4bayonetta::4bayonetta::4bayonetta::4bayonetta:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Anyone else feel her combo game is gonna be ridiculous?
Definitely. The fact that she can use her up special twice in the air just adds to the combo potential. Aside from that, her manoverability is astonishing! She is definitely going to be quite high on the tier list.

The only problem is getting the combos off. You're going to, most likely, have to play baity if you want to use her full potential.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Anyone else feel her combo game is gonna be ridiculous?
the big man himself said she plays like ryu of combo factor

So yes I think her combo is going to be rediculious maybe even better than ryu.

The Umbra Witch is going to put Sheik and Zero Suit Samus on their knees XD

:4bayonetta::4bayonetta::4bayonetta::4bayonetta::4bayonetta:
Not to mention her recovery and combo tier is S++++ tier

Dang it double post.

Last edited by a moderator:

SionReaver

Smash Rookie
I just thought of some of the most ultimate disrespect. Imagine when Bayonetta comes out and there's 3v3 and it comes down to a 3 v 1 right? So the other team mates wombo combo the last one into oblivion with good team synergy while the Bayonetta player dances the whole time in the background.

It needs to be done at least once.

LZCXR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LZCXRR
I got the Bayo 2 + 1 bundle last year for Christmas, and played through both in less than a week. I picked them back up recently and I'm trying to finish Infinite Climax difficulty, but I got stuck at Chapter 7.
I'll try to 100% one of them before February but that'll be hard since I'll be getting Xenoblade X for Christmas. I don't think I'll ever do an all Platinum run (unless it's on easy or something pfff)
If you're talking about bayo2 grind lollipops in 3rd climax mode, that's the only way I managed to beat the final boss
Also be aware that they don't give you jack **** for finishing that mode unlike bayo1 (unless what they actually give you is a Tag mode card, I don't know I had every card already when I finished the mode)
If you mean Bayo1 then SOL I'm not even near finishing it, but hey you get Pillow Talk from Okami for finishing it

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Bayonetta's "balancing factor" seems to be that her frame data is going to be meh or worse. It also appears that she won't be able to kill very well, but we'll have to see about that one.

Sakurai even made a point to say that her combos are kinda slow to start, and then showed her getting jabbed by Mario before she could hit him.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I'm still a bit iffy on her combos, specifically the amount of true combos she has. It seems like her Heel Slide + Kick has a bit too much endlag to get an actual follow up, but we'll have to find out February I guess.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Both Heel Slide and After Burner Kick look incredibly unsafe on sheild, as well as Bullet Climax, though we should stick to using that at a distance, of course. BC also goes right over short characters, it completely missed Pikachu.

Smoking_Hot_BBQ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cvl257
3DS FC
4098-4726-7823
I feel like bayonetta is one of those characters you have to be really creative with in order to pull of crazy combos. I'm really excited.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I doubt that Bayonetta will be able to compete with Pikachu though. Pikachu's small size means that Bullet Climax will have a very hard time hitting it.
On the other hand, Witch Time against Quick Attack could give funny results, considering how Pikachu is distorted during this move.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Reflectors will give her a hard time for sure. Although her neutral B doesn't seem too damaging.
It seems more like an option to stop recoveries or a quick way to prevent opponents from approaching to me.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Also, if Bayonetta wants to use Witch Time effectively, she'll have to build up her opponent's damage to a high enough level. If she can't do that, then you won't be getting anywhere with Witch Time any time soon.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
It seems more like an option to stop recoveries or a quick way to prevent opponents from approaching to me.
Same for me. I fact, I think that Franklin Badge will be more dangerous, as it will shut down the bullet arts for a while.

Yes, I'm actually thinking about the items.

Edit: Hopefully, Witch Time have some balance. Being able to slow down an opponent at the beggining to rack up free damages would be insane.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Long story short, Bayonetta is a character that will require a lot of thought to play effectively. Combos, Bullet Climax, Witch Time, how long you'll be vulnerable for after landing when pulling off your sick combos, the frequency of using Witch Time, the fact that she can recover twice, which will take some getting used to...

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Welp, Sakurai wasn't kidding when he said that she captures the essence of the game itself, by requiring mastery to really feel like you're somewhere with her. Of course that's with literally any character, but given the flexibility of this witch's multihit moves and projectiles (which are like 70%+ of her moves in both regards), Bayo mains will definitely outshine anyone else who plays her much more.

I kinda wanted to pick up Shiek or ZSS at some point, and I've tried to with both (especially ZSS), but none of them really captured me as just characters. Their competitive viability was the only reason I picked em up and I couldn't stay with either. (So it's just Sonic and Kirby for me, still. Mewtwo's only still in my avi from sheer hype but I couldn't really stick with it either; despite my love for it from the first movie). Even though I've never played any of the Bayonetta games, I've seen enough of her in general to know her as a character, which is something vital for me to main something. She has a personality that's easy to get to know, if that makes any sense, so she easily feels like a character with more substance, compared to ZSS or Shiek since I've played no where near enough of either of those 3 characters' games.

In short: I'm definitely picking up Bayonetta, and with her crazy flashy and infinitely combo-y fighting style, and unique character (I was in the boat that thought she was way too sexy for smash), I feel like I might just stick with her enough to main her alongside Sonic and Kirby.

Sorry for the wall, but think of it as my way of introducing myself as a potential Bayo main! :D

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I have a feeling Witch Time's window will be very strict. Unless you get hit at the very instant you use it, you'll get Bat Within instead. It'll be easier for Bayonetta fans, but those new to her style of play might have a tougher time mastering it.

Edit: Plus I doubt you can cancel any move into Witch Time, like in the games. Though it'll be fun to bait people on For Glory by taunting then canceling into WT.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
I doubt that Bayonetta will be able to compete with Pikachu though. Pikachu's small size means that Bullet Climax will have a very hard time hitting it.
What about holding dtilt to shoot? It still does damage but we have absolutely no frame data on anything so...

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
What about holding dtilt to shoot? It still does damage but we have absolutely no frame data on anything so...
We can shoot him this way, but the bullet arts won't stop him, like Fox's Laser.

And still, Pikachu will be a small target.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
We can shoot him this way, but the bullet arts won't stop him, like Fox's Laser.

And still, Pikachu will be a small target.
Forces an action out of him tho. There's a reason foxes lasers in melee were good at forcing approaches despite no hit stun albeit it's a bit different in that he could cancel the lag but we don't fully know how this mechanic works either.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Changed my avatar and sig to accommodate for my current mains and my new potential one! It's official! Behold the galaxial greatness!

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Forces an action out of him tho. There's a reason foxes lasers in melee were good at forcing approaches despite no hit stun albeit it's a bit different in that he could cancel the lag but we don't fully know how this mechanic works either.
Yes, we can still forces actions, that's true! But a bullet art attack can't be forever, and we don't know yet how will we be able to stop a bullet art combo.

Just having to question it makes the moveset interesting, IMO!

David Viran

Smash Lord
Yes, we can still forces actions, that's true! But a bullet art attack can't be forever, and we don't know yet how will we be able to stop a bullet art combo.

Just having to question it makes the moveset interesting, IMO!
Yeah, I'm really interested in WT. I hope it can be b reversed. Also if the bat within counter works frame 1, oh boi.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Changed my avatar and sig to accommodate for my current mains and my new potential one! It's official! Behold the galaxial greatness!
Yo, where did you get/how did you make those pictures in your avatar? I'd love to learn how.

ilysm

sleepy
As amazed as I am that Bayonetta actually made the cut, I'm super excited that she did! I'll definitely try to give her a shot when she's released. It's a shame that almost all her alts are either just slight variations on the same shade of black or super standard red/blue/green. I'm also having doubts as to the flexibility of her combos. It seems like the devs intentionally programmed a couple rigid moves to be her go-to combo options, which is all well and good, but in Smash there's always a way to beat a tactic if it's the same tactic every time. And it wouldn't really be in the spirit of the Bayonetta series if we weren't able to pull of creative, diverse, and (most importantly) incredibly flashy combos against enemies for her punish game. Time will tell, I suppose.

Also incredibly stoked about the idea of a counter that slows down time for the opponent. Think of all the shenanigans.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I know that this might sound silly, but I've often had the impression that Bayonetta is the polar opposite of Rosalina. With Rosalina, she's a nice and caring individual, and someone that you'd feel comfortable around.

Bayonetta, however, does not feel like a comfortable person to be around, and she can give others bad vibes as well.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
I noticed something interesting when watching the Japan trailer. When they have Bayonetta in her classic costume she speaks with her english voice. I'm not sure if that was possibly a mistake or if they plan to have her classic costume be paired with her english voice in the JP version of the game.

David Viran

Smash Lord
As amazed as I am that Bayonetta actually made the cut, I'm super excited that she did! I'll definitely try to give her a shot when she's released. It's a shame that almost all her alts are either just slight variations on the same shade of black or super standard red/blue/green. I'm also having doubts as to the flexibility of her combos. It seems like the devs intentionally programmed a couple rigid moves to be her go-to combo options, which is all well and good, but in Smash there's always a way to beat a tactic if it's the same tactic every time. And it wouldn't really be in the spirit of the Bayonetta series if we weren't able to pull of creative, diverse, and (most importantly) incredibly flashy combos against enemies for her punish game. Time will tell, I suppose.

Also incredibly stoked about the idea of a counter that slows down time for the opponent. Think of all the shenanigans.
The dev team has proven that they can get the character arc types they want to work right. If they want Bayonetta to have a deep combo game then they can make her have one and that's what they seem like they're going for.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Yo, where did you get/how did you make those pictures in your avatar? I'd love to learn how.
Photoshop, so not free, unfortunately xD Used some techniques that I recently figured out to make it. If you by chance have PS I could tell you in detail, but if not I'm afraid it'd be difficult to describe my process since I'm familiar with literally no other art program.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Photoshop, so not free, unfortunately xD Used some techniques that I recently figured out to make it. If you by chance have PS I could tell you in detail, but if not I'm afraid it'd be difficult to describe my process since I'm familiar with literally no other art program.
I got Photoshop, no worries there. Also, sorry about the question out of nowhere. Your avatar just looked really cool. Heheh.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I got Photoshop, no worries there. Also, sorry about the question out of nowhere. Your avatar just looked really cool. Heheh.
Aiight lol and it's fine; thanks. x3 This is the last post I'm making about this to avoid derailing. Let's just call it a way to make your Bayonetta avatar look spiffy (as to be somewhat on topic)

-First, you want a background (like my starry background)
-Then, you want your Bayonetta image
-Using the pen tool, trace the outline of Bayonetta's eyes and fill 'em in white on a layer above everything else
-Then, move your background image above the layer with Bayo on it.
-Right click that background image and click "Create Clipping Mask"
-Apply additional effects or whatever, if you want, like glowing!
-Do these steps again for each character you want to look like this
-And my actual background is just a lower opacity version of the original background

I wanted to add Bayonetta's moon instead of stars to celebrate her getting in, but it didn't feel as quality, and I didn't wanna lean too much towards just her when I have other actual mains.

She's gonna be up there with my mains though, I'm pretty sure.

Anyone think she won't even be S, or even SS tier, but some new tier altogether? #BayonettaPlatinumTier

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Anyone think she won't even be S, or even SS tier, but some new tier altogether? #BayonettaPlatinumTier
Bayonetta Tier. A tier so legendary, no character other than the witch herself can even hope to attain it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That's too early to tell right now. I doubt that she'll be that overpowering if the smaller characters turn out to be her kryptonite.

Top Bottom