• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Gates of Hell: Bayonetta Social Thread

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
It's funny. I know the Bayo playerbase isn't THAT low, but astoundingly her metagame discussion seems to dwell only within top players and a small number of us on the Bayo Discord.

C'mon guys, our char is hype af.

Last edited:

Lakuto

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lakutos
I had a bad experience with character discord group (WFT) so I'd rather not go in the Bayo discord. (People ignoring advance tech on wft discord mostly. Not everyone but most of them)

It's ok here though, not that active maybe but yeah.

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I too wish there was more active discussion here :(
But let's not be sad! Today is actually Bayonetta 2's second anniversary!

Hockeyfan44

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockwv478
You know, regarding Bayo's amiibo figure, I have no idea how on earth they could possibly get all the detail on her Bayonetta 2 outfit onto such a small figure. And speaking of amiibo, I have to find it humorous that at the recent Rio Olympics, all the medalists were given, instead of flowers, Rio Logo Amiibo.

Ulk

Smash Cadet
Bayonetta's amiibo figure being too fragile was a big topic ever since we got confirmation that we're getting one even for the final Smash characters. Reddit's been even poking fun about how it's gonna end up looking like this:

On a more serious note though, it's one of many reasons I would have absolutely prefered her Bayonetta 1 costume being the default one. Not because I personally prefer it and it would save me the time of having to press Y four times before a match, but it's a lot easier to produce with a very stable stance and would have also made for a much more accurate Jeanne alternate color theme.

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
I know I'm late to the party, but after seeing Salem get a witch time off Diddy's grounded banana, I now know that this character is still utterly bonkers and am currently awaiting in fear and anticipation for the Umbra witch to overtake a super major.
That is all.

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
I know I'm late to the party, but after seeing Salem get a witch time off Diddy's grounded banana, I now know that this character is still utterly bonkers and am currently awaiting in fear and anticipation for the Umbra witch to overtake a super major.
That is all.
Hahahah, Diddy doesn't even have the worst of it. Olimar's Pikmin can be witch timed, as well as Megaman's Crash Bomber, and anything really, so long as you're close enough.

Clonedpickle

Smash Rookie
Discord groups tend to do that to threads :/
My problem is so many games coming out, getting Xenoverse 2[Don't care if it sucks] and Dark souls III DLC[I hope to god they buff Ultra greatswords..]. Haven't played Smash in 6 months, also doesn't help I have no one to play with..

Rose alumna

Smash Journeyman
I've been labing lately with bayonetta. And I found that bayonettas dabk has a combo use although it's inconsistent and works on characters from what I've seen tested anyone taller than peach. The easiest chars that it works are Any one comparing to Gannon in size so bowser, DDD ect. Although it won't work on
The "combo" or string is...
Simply abk to dabk.
-Although I wouldn't recommend using this while catching someone's jump at low %'s-
How I got the idea was since di down and away is effective on bayos combos but I thought if an opponent doesn't expect the dabk. Instead they expect abk left to right or vice versa that there di would be cought and the angle there sent would favor bayonetta at the same time the fair after the dabk isn't always garrenteed. Also on some chars you might miss the fair one but get fair 2 the combo doesn't drop. I don't know exactly which characters do this but one that cought my eye was roy.
I know it's out of the box.
>~<
Even though I would like feed back on the idea.

Last edited:

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
I've been labing lately with bayonetta. And I found that bayonettas dabk has a combo use although it's inconsistent and works on characters from what I've seen tested anyone taller than peach. The easiest chars that it works are Any one comparing to Gannon in size so bowser, DDD ect. Although it won't work on
The "combo" or string is...
Simply abk to dabk.
-Although I wouldn't recommend using this while catching someone's jump at low %'s-
How I got the idea was since di down and away is effective on bayos combos but I thought if an opponent doesn't expect the dabk. Instead they expect abk left to right or vice versa that there di would be cought and the angle there sent would favor bayonetta at the same time the fair after the dabk isn't always garrenteed. Also on some chars you might miss the fair one but get fair 2 the combo doesn't drop. I don't know exactly which characters do this but one that cought my eye was roy.
I know it's out of the box.
>~<
Even though I would like feed back on the idea.
It's pretty alright as a mixup, but it IS in fact just a mixup. You could go for that, or you could go for relatively guaranteed damage/kills, so it's effectiveness is pretty limited.

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
Ever since 99% of the people here couldn't play Bayo this place has been a ghost town. Or everyone is in discord. I hear the Bayo discord is terrible though

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
Ever since 99% of the people here couldn't play Bayo this place has been a ghost town. Or everyone is in discord. I hear the Bayo discord is terrible though
Well the discord is significantly livelier than this board, but who told you it was terrible? Probably the people who got disgruntled for getting banned or leaving or some such. The discord isn't the MOST active, but if you want to discuss stuff it's currently the best place.

Ulk

Smash Cadet
I think it's rather because of the on-going controversy since the day of her release that this place was that active in the first place. Now that she's no longer among the controversal characters, of course traffic here goes down accordingly.

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
I think it's rather because of the on-going controversy since the day of her release that this place was that active in the first place. Now that she's no longer among the controversal characters, of course traffic here goes down accordingly.
Bayos are starting to take names again and people see her as a threat and possibly the best character in the game. It's lit enough.

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
Well the discord is significantly livelier than this board, but who told you it was terrible? Probably the people who got disgruntled for getting banned or leaving or some such. The discord isn't the MOST active, but if you want to discuss stuff it's currently the best place.
Captain Zack

Hockeyfan44

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockwv478
To be perfectly honest, as much as I love playing as Bayo in Smash, having looked at other fighting games, I can't help but think Bayonetta, given the nature of her character, would have been a much better fit for games like Killer Instinct or Mortal Kombat. She's relatively "tame", if you consider her tame at all, which she really isn't, compared to other guest characters in fighting games, case in point Freddy Krueger and Kratos in Mortal Kombat 9; Jason Voorhies, Leatherface, Alien and Predator in Mortal Kombat X, or General RAAM in Killer Instinct. As much as she's held her own in Smash, I have no doubt she could do the same against the likes of Scorpion, Sub Zero, Orchid, or Fulgore. I guess that's just me.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
To be perfectly honest, as much as I love playing as Bayo in Smash, having looked at other fighting games, I can't help but think Bayonetta, given the nature of her character, would have been a much better fit for games like Killer Instinct or Mortal Kombat. She's relatively "tame", if you consider her tame at all, which she really isn't, compared to other guest characters in fighting games, case in point Freddy Krueger and Kratos in Mortal Kombat 9; Jason Voorhies, Leatherface, Alien and Predator in Mortal Kombat X, or General RAAM in Killer Instinct. As much as she's held her own in Smash, I have no doubt she could do the same against the likes of Scorpion, Sub Zero, Orchid, or Fulgore. I guess that's just me.
I can see her on anime fighting games, she reeks of high mobility, and most traditional fighting games are about everything but movement... but I see your point.
I still think she's fine in smash, but some things weren't fit properly when they could.
:196:

Funbot28

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlwaysDOMINATE
Ok so since Bayonetta has been picking up some traction once more and people are actually considering her to be the best in game right now. Since the switch port is going to come for the game, potentially bringing forth a new patch due to the recent rumors of new characters being released. Do you guys think that Bayo might actually receiver nerfs again due to how much success she has been receiving even after 1.16 dropped?

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
Ok so since Bayonetta has been picking up some traction once more and people are actually considering her to be the best in game right now. Since the switch port is going to come for the game, potentially bringing forth a new patch due to the recent rumors of new characters being released. Do you guys think that Bayo might actually receiver nerfs again due to how much success she has been receiving even after 1.16 dropped?
They haven't nerfed Diddy yet, I wouldn't be surpised if no one gets nerfed. I'd prefer that they just buff everyone who needs it instead, but Bayo's too polarizing with what's good about her to get a nerf IMO.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Not totally sure where best to ask this, but I think here is a safe bet.

I've got a tournament on Saturday, and I know my pool now, and of particular note is a very good Meta Knight in there with me (a PR'd player in my region). I've decided Bayonetta will be my best choice against him, and while I've played the MU a fair bit against others, it's not one I'd say I am "knowledgeable" in.

Could anybody here give me some advice on the Bayonetta:Meta Knight MU? What should I be doing? What should I not be doing? Anything I need to be watching out for in particular? Best way to play around him in neutral for example?

Last edited:

J.Daddy

Smash Rookie
Not totally sure where best to ask this, but I think here is a safe bet.

I've got a tournament on Saturday, and I know my pool now, and of particular note is a very good Meta Knight in there with me (a PR'd player in my region). I've decided Bayonetta will be my best choice against him, and while I've played the MU a fair bit against others, it's not one I'd say I am "knowledgeable" in.

Could anybody here give me some advice on the Bayonetta:Meta Knight MU? What should I be doing? What should I not be doing? Anything I need to be watching out for in particular? Best way to play around him in neutral for example?
Best thing to do in neutral is space bullet art nairs && stay outside his dash attack range. I would personally stay off the combos since a PR player is gonna know his SDI. So just stick to minimal but optimal combos . Just get chip damage & I can't stress it enough , don't get hit by his dash attack and reset to ledge if you get hit up cuz that could cost you a stock. Try to keep forward and downward throw for killing when he's maybe at 160 and you have a good amount of rage on you. I hope this helps

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
I don't think what I'm trying to ask warrants a whole new thread about it, so I'll ask it here.

How does Bayo's recovery exactly work? When does her up-b and side-b snap onto ledge? Also, is it her side-b that resets upon hitting something?

While I'm at it, what is the best way to challenge her offstage? I know she has a good recovery, but it would be good to know how to pressure her to the best of my abilities, at least.

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
I don't think what I'm trying to ask warrants a whole new thread about it, so I'll ask it here.

How does Bayo's recovery exactly work? When does her up-b and side-b snap onto ledge? Also, is it her side-b that resets upon hitting something?

While I'm at it, what is the best way to challenge her offstage? I know she has a good recovery, but it would be good to know how to pressure her to the best of my abilities, at least.
side b doesn't technically snap, I don't think, but with good spacing it clings as soon as it finishes. If you get too close, you'll bonk, which will still let you live but you can be smacked afterwards. You regain a side b one time if it hit something, and if you get hit you get one side b and one up b. Up b always snaps unless you're RIGHT next to the ledge, in which it'll go past, IIRC.
As for challenging, it's not impossible. There's a short period in which she's vulnerable after either side b or up b in which you can spike her (it's longer for side b) if you don't spike her she's probably gonna come back. Otherwise it's pretty hard to deal with, the only other real effective option is either a massive disjoint (like Cloud or Ike) or a counter.

Last edited:

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
You regain a side b one time if it hit something, and if you get hit you get one side b and one up b.
By this, do you mean that Bayo gains another side b in the air if she hits a wall, shield, or the opponent? Also, if she gets hit in the air, her side b and up b count will get reset?

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
By this, do you mean that Bayo gains another side b in the air if she hits a wall, shield, or the opponent? Also, if she gets hit in the air, her side b and up b count will get reset?
if she hits something besides the wall with her first side b she'll get another one, this can be the ducks from Duck Hunt, a baloon, an opponent, or a facet of the opponent (Can, Gyro, etc). The count won't reset if she gets hit, but she will at least get one side b and one up b back if she's hit. You can only use a second up b if the first one hasn't been used, but if you get hit after the first one, you won't get another second one, same for side b.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Ah, I get it now. Thanks for the explanation, Flamegeyser Flamegeyser .

Hopefully that info will help me understand bayo's recovery game more.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Alright, so I'm kinda nervous about asking this here...

I don't really know where else I can ask this (NNID Thread may be appropriate but I feel like I'd have more luck here finding what I'm looking for), but I'm looking for another Bayonetta Main who I can frequently train against, learn from, and gain advice from so I can become a better Bayonetta myself. I feel like I'm pretty average and I'm sure there's plenty of things I haven't learned/seen yet.

So if anyone is willing, I'd be happy to learn from you and improve on my own Bayonetta.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm trying to keep my expectations moderate (not low, necessarily, but not overly high either) for the Switch presentation, but one thing that I'm hoping for is that they'll announce Bayonetta 3 (or, at the very least, what Platinum's releasing on the Wii U). Anyone else feel the same way?

Ih8heels

Smash Cadet
What do you have against this character?
It's a disgusting character design. Hell, the first game debut Manhands was in made me literally ill. I was under the presumption that Bayonetta was a transgender protagonist at first. Which is no big issue to me. But I just wanted to vomit at the site of how they portray this character throughout the series with such an annorexic body proportion with masculine hands to boot. Just blech.

Top Bottom