• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Gates of Hell: Bayonetta Social Thread

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Could Witch time > Bair > Dsmash work instead of Fsmash > Dsmash? Seems quicker if you've staled your Wt or they're only at 70%

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
if you witch time the opponent infront of the ledge, a down smash should be enough (since the small hitbox on her foot will send the opponent off the ledge)

but style points would be dealing damage before downsmash xD

speaking of witch time
I used Witch time on Bayonettas Bullet Art!

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Well this is a fun witch time punish. I could have timed the dair better.

I think the most optimal punish I have found so far is shff nair → down tilt → shff nair → up smash. It kills at 70% on Marth. This is excluding spike shenanigans of course. Shff nair → shff nair → Down smash is pretty easy to get near the ledge

Edit:
... I think this will be my go to combo LOL

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
if you witch time the opponent infront of the ledge, a down smash should be enough (since the small hitbox on her foot will send the opponent off the ledge)

but style points would be dealing damage before downsmash xD

speaking of witch time
I used Witch time on Bayonettas Bullet Art!
Bullet Art is a special case in that it's not actually a projectile. Real projectiles aren't nearly that forgiving. But as the move countered isn't one Witch Time seems to have infinite reach.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
She is pretty cool. Her design is very good. She has some obvious weaknesses like slow movement speed and the ****tiest rolls and dodges in the game, but she also has all the tools she needs to play around them.
Everything about her is clever.

I applaud you mashpotato samurai.

By the way, those crazy zero to death combos fall apart as soon as you DI a bit.

Last edited:

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
So I'm back from school. I got to try out the Fair string cancels on people today.(Fair1 and 2,repeat till offscreen!) it was so fun seeing me go offscreen with it. also making it back from a Dair Spike is so good.
I'm getting there. I can safely say she's easily my Secondary in this game.

:212:

Last edited:

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
Tbh, playing Bayonetta is almost like taking drugs; each time I want to play, my cursor just drifts to her, and I can't stop myself :eek: help me

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
False seems to be having a lot of fun with Bayo since he made quite a few combo vids on her. Unless if they're's some huge Bayonetta fan I wonder if False will be considered the best Bayo main in the world.

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
I cannot figure out this character's neutral. Her frame data is quite poor. Witch time is obvious and not safe. Short hop fair is not good for spacing in neutral. Short hop bair is a bit better, but the hitbox is not that good and it is definitely not good against characters with smaller hurtboxes. Nair has like no priority and is not very safe. Her mobility is not good, people who think she has good air speed are out of their minds.

I'm sorry but her neutral game kinda sucks, or at least I can't figure it out. She seems to lose against most of the cast in neutral. Her combos are great, but just waiting around for an opening isn't going to work against good players.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I cannot figure out this character's neutral. Her frame data is quite poor. Witch time is obvious and not safe. Short hop fair is not good for spacing in neutral. Short hop bair is a bit better, but the hitbox is not that good and it is definitely not good against characters with smaller hurtboxes. Nair has like no priority and is not very safe. Her mobility is not good, people who think she has good air speed are out of their minds.

I'm sorry but her neutral game kinda sucks, or at least I can't figure it out. She seems to lose against most of the cast in neutral. Her combos are great, but just waiting around for an opening isn't going to work against good players.
I don't think it's fair to judge a character after a day or two, if Bayo's neutral is still deemed bad after a month, then it's bad

I only lost 2 matches with Bayonetta, the first being lol Giga Bowser, the second one being me suddenly suffering pain to my gaim, as I accidentally tore it a little eating crisps

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's fair to judge a character after a day or two, if Bayo's neutral is still deemed bad after a month, then it's bad

I only lost 2 matches with Bayonetta, the first being lol Giga Bowser, the second one being me suddenly suffering pain to my gaim, as I accidentally tore it a little eating crisps
I hope its not really as bad as I think it is, but most of her options are slow or predictable, couple with bad speed and no reward off grab, and a projectile that only hits tall opponents and only at close range, things aren't looking too pretty. If someone has figured out her neutral, please tell me.

As to your second point, you either haven't played many games or you haven't played good players. Even M2K was getting his ass kicked with bayonetta.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I hope its not really as bad as I think it is, but most of her options are slow or predictable, couple with bad speed and no reward off grab, and a projectile that only hits tall opponents and only at close range, things aren't looking too pretty. If someone has figured out her neutral, please tell me.
I personally use Dtilt Bullet Art to edge people on

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte

• Approach with heel slide or angled afterburner kick
  • Force approaches with bullet arts from f-air, n-air, u-air, or b-air (d-tilt works, too)
  • Not to rush down the opponent so much
  • Mindgames with d-air
  • Witch twist out of shield
  • Punish with a combo setup (ie. d-tilt, f-tilt, or u-tilt) or witch time at higher percents
  • F-air strings
  • Bullet climax against airborne opponents
  • Don't fight short characters
  • Check out what she be teasin
  • B-air spacing

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
  • Approach with heel slide or angled afterburner kick
  • Force approaches with bullet arts from f-air, n-air, u-air, or b-air (d-tilt works, too)
  • Not to rush down the opponent so much
  • Mindgames with d-air
  • Witch twist out of shield
  • Punish with a combo setup (ie. d-tilt, f-tilt, or u-tilt) or witch time at higher percents
  • F-air strings
  • Bullet climax against airborne opponents
  • Don't fight short characters
  • Check out what she be teasin
  • B-air spacing
Most of these aren't safe though, at least against characters with good frame data. In practice, she gets pressured into a corner and doesn't have much of a way out. There's really no reason to not rush down against Bayo. Her aerials aren't fast. You can shield punish side-b, dair, nair, and fair. Retreating bair is actually safe on shield, but landing it in neutral is a ***** and a half. Bullet arts don't help in the neutral, they only force approaches which Bayonetta has trouble with. Angled kick is safe on shield, but as soon as people realize they can just spotdodge it and punish, it won't be an approach option anymore, much in the same way that good Sonics don't go for homing attack anymore.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Most of these aren't safe though, at least against characters with good frame data. In practice, she gets pressured into a corner and doesn't have much of a way out. There's really no reason to not rush down against Bayo. Her aerials aren't fast. You can shield punish side-b, dair, nair, and fair. Retreating bair is actually safe on shield, but landing it in neutral is a ***** and a half. Bullet arts don't help in the neutral, they only force approaches which Bayonetta has trouble with. Angled kick is safe on shield, but as soon as people realize they can just spotdodge it and punish, it won't be an approach option anymore, much in the same way that good Sonics don't go for homing attack anymore.
I thought Nair auto cancelled and had decent start up

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know which button to hold to select one of Bayonetta's victory poses?

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I thought Nair auto cancelled and had decent start up
It does
Most of these aren't safe though, at least against characters with good frame data.
That's why I included the word PUNISH. It's the world's simplest concept. If she can't do good offensively, try playing defensively.
You can shield punish side-b, dair, nair, and fair. Retreating bair is actually safe on shield, but landing it in neutral is a ***** and a half.
N-air and f-air autocancel/have sheik esque landing lag, and I said MINDGAMES with d-air. If you actually tried to learn how to read, you would've seen that I said that. Meaning that you can cancel your d-air hitbox with jump or up b. It can help for recovery and maybe force the opponent to go in their shield.
Bullet arts don't help in the neutral, they only force approaches which Bayonetta has trouble with.
That's exactly what I said:
Please go back to my post and try not to sound dumb.
Angled kick is safe on shield, but as soon as people realize they can just spotdodge it and punish, it won't be an approach option anymore, much in the same way that good Sonics don't go for homing attack anymore.
Angled kick actually has a landing hitbox, similar to Falco's f-air. Also, don't compare angled kick to homing attack. Just, don't..

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
It does

That's why I included the word PUNISH. It's the world's simplest concept. If she can't do good offensively, try playing defensively.

N-air and f-air autocancel/have sheik esque landing lag, and I said MINDGAMES with d-air. If you actually tried to learn how to read, you would've seen that I said that. Meaning that you can cancel your d-air hitbox with jump or up b. It can help for recovery and maybe force the opponent to go in their shield.

That's exactly what I said:

Please go back to my post and try not to sound dumb.

Angled kick actually has a landing hitbox, similar to Falco's f-air. Also, don't compare angled kick to homing attack. Just, don't..
Spare me the condescending bull****. I've been saying she doesn't have the frame data to play defensively against characters with good frame data, apparently that went over your head.

But since you are unable to hold a discussion without getting angsty like a teenager, I'll end this here.

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I personally use Dtilt Bullet Art to edge people on
It's almost always a free 10%. it's funny how quickly campy players suddenly stop being campy when they realize "oh right, she can nail me from over there, she doesnt need to approach."

EDIT:
Spare me the condescending bull****. I've been saying she doesn't have the frame data to play defensively against characters with good frame data, apparently that went over your head.

But since you are unable to hold a discussion without getting angsty like a teenager, I'll end this here.
Oh look, a spoiled shiek main complaining that another character isnt as good as shiek.

Go back to the shiek boards if bayo's too hard for you to learn. Work on those grab to bouncing fish combos that must be soooooo hard to get down.

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
After playing her for over 20h, I fell like she is a little bit OP.
Combos deal massive damage, she has no hard time killing at all, nAir, bAir, afterburner are all great neutral tools and WT has massive bull**** potential. No matter against what character, I never had a hard time ever applying pressure in the neutral or killing.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I am using her "Bullet Art NAir" as an neutral due the hitboxes is still active together Bullet Art damage + Safe on shield with +3 and fast landing lag

After playing her for over 20h, I fell like she is a little bit OP.
Combos deal massive damage, she has no hard time killing at all, nAir, bAir, afterburner are all great neutral tools and WT has massive bull**** potential. No matter against what character, I never had a hard time ever applying pressure in the neutral or killing.
actually, I think she has a really hard time against people that can put a wall infront of themself like link, toon link and stuff while she has a great time against character that rushing like Captain Falcon and Shiek.

I think thats really good! giving us a great counterpick for top tiers and forcing the "low tier counterpicks" for bayonetta to be more used

Last edited:

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
It's almost always a free 10%. it's funny how quickly campy players suddenly stop being campy when they realize "oh right, she can nail me from over there, she doesnt need to approach."
I like using that from afar. it adds up pretty quick. it also helps against the small frys of the cast.

does anyone have an idea of how strict the timing is on getting a 2nd Witch Twist going?
The current combo I've gone for(on Corrin) is Up B>ABK,Downward ABK,Fair 1,Up B.
after that Fair in the combo,i can't get the second UP B going. I figured if i had to jump inbetween it,they could slip out.

Last edited:

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
Anyone tried her out in Trophy Rush? She is easily the best character for that mode IMO. I keep spamming Bullet Arts in it.

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Anyone tried her out in Trophy Rush? She is easily the best character for that mode IMO. I keep spamming Bullet Arts in it.
I haven't yet. though i've had it in mind.
How many custom Parts/Moves are ya getting? this could be a sweet way of farming that up.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I haven't yet. though i've had it in mind.
How many custom Parts/Moves are ya getting? this could be a sweet way of farming that up.
I just tried it.

Got a 400+ chain, didn't die a single time, 4 custom moves (due to the RNG being stingy with them), and well over 30 trophies.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
I am using her "Bullet Art NAir" as an neutral due the hitboxes is still active together Bullet Art damage + Safe on shield with +3 and fast landing lag

actually, I think she has a really hard time against people that can put a wall infront of themself like link, toon link and stuff while she has a great time against character that rushing like Captain Falcon and Shiek.

I think thats really good! giving us a great counterpick for top tiers and forcing the "low tier counterpicks" for bayonetta to be more used
I have a high level Link on my couch RIGHT NOW and even my friend that could never beat him before manages with bayo.
Bayo has a fairly decent zone breaker that's low enough to avoid most of Links stuff and Link has so much startup on everything that getting in and landing WT isn't that hard.
Faster characters on the other hand will be harder to beat at a high level because their mixup options are often much better.
No ezWT4u there.

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
I just tried it.

Got a 400+ chain, didn't die a single time, 4 custom moves (due to the RNG being stingy with them), and well over 30 trophies.
nice. Compared to All Star Mode,this sounds like a much easier method of collecting that stuff.
This much fun with a character should be illegal.
but its not.:4bayonetta:

:212:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I just tried it.

Too bad I already have absolutely all trophies in both versions (and all customs on 3DS). Grinding blocks for one of the challenges will do that for you.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Having so much fun playing Bayo, but now I can't play any other character... keep trying to up b > jump > up b lol.
There's your problem right there. Why are you trying to play anyone else?

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte

Fun fact: I am a teenager lol.

David Viran

Smash Lord
A landing Bair is - 3 natural oos. You don't exactly need to retreat this move to be safe on shield. Also Nair is - 5 natural oos so I wouldn't say this move is all that easy to punish oos either. Idk what you mean by Nair having low priority when that's not a real thing in smash.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
A landing Bair is - 3 natural oos. You don't exactly need to retreat this move to be safe on shield. Also Nair is - 5 natural oos so I wouldn't say this move is all that easy to punish oos either. Idk what you mean by Nair having low priority when that's not a real thing in smash.
Yeah she is pretty safe.
She honestly feels slightly broken to me. Safe in the neutral with good on shield options and constant bullets everywhere.
Good kill options with bAir, uAir, dAir, WT
Huge combos all day long at any percent and as we know right now, even some of the bigger ones seem to be not DI-able
No mobility issues at all thanks to sSpecial and its 3 variations
Great recovery and offstage game
Hell, with her infinite aerials she even has an easy time catching airdodges.
The only real weaknesses she has are her weight and her throws, and at least her fThrow isn't that bad either.
Also the ingame tooltip saying that WT at low percent is 1 sec and 2 sec at high percent gives me the impression that something went wrong. Feels more like 4 seconds at high percent and at least 2 at low.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord

Fun fact: sheik is the best waller in this game.

Killager

Smash Rookie
Her down-air is such a ridiculously powerful move. Netting some super early kills with it. Still having a little trouble with the meteor hitbox when I go for it offstage, but when you can recover from it immediately it keeps me going for it still. I assume the hitbox for it is at the start of the move, right?

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
with wall, I mean with projectile. Sheik only has Needles at dispostal from range (and burst grenade but its easy to get around with)
her wall is FAirs and FTilts together with bounching fish and thats what Bayonetta love, she want close combat so she can combo and punish
She has no problem with range either.

Top Bottom