• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Gaming Historian Releases Smash History: Part 2

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
About a month ago, Norm The Gaming Historian (formerly of RetrowareTV) released the first video in a 2 part series on the history of the Super Smash Bros. Series. In the video, The Gaming Historian touches on the franchises' inception, (it's a lot more complicated than one would believe) and how the team transitioned to Melee in a quick time frame.

Additionally, The Gaming Historian talks about why Melee was so critically acclaimed. He also touches most notably upon the origins of Melee in competitive gaming, hitting on our Golden Age and our inception into MLG and EVO. In part 2 of the series, released on Christmas Eve, Norm doesn't pull any punches, and talks about what Brawl is from both the competitive and casual viewpoints. Also very interestingly, he talks about the toll the game took on Mr. Sakurai.

From the view of a competitive player, The Gaming Historian does a great job properly representing the Smash Bros. competitive community while still giving a really good perspective from other viewpoints, including Nintendo, Mr. Sakurai, and the non-competitive scene. Those who are new to the smash community or Smashboards, and need to get a quick history lesson to catch up, this is a great way to do so. It is important (especially from the perspective of a tournament organizer) to understand the history of your scene before jumping into the fray.

Smash has had a storied history over the years.

What do you think of the videos? Leave your comments below.

TheTantalus is an experienced Tournament Organizer for VGBC, but is a n00b at writing. Follow him on Twitter @ TheTantalus TheTantalus .

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
"HAL was making too many sequels"

proceeds too make smash sequel after smash sequel.

Not sure that I buy that as the only reason for Sakurai leaving to be honest. I've read a variety of things including frustrations with development of Air Ride and location changes with HAL. So I dunno...

I think that perspective is certainly a case of the pot calling the kettle, black.

Last edited:

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
I love how people complain so much about Sakurai and watching this makes you appreciate the hard work he put into the games we all know and love, regardless if which iteration you prefer.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I just can't wait to see these videos. They are too long for me to see it now. But just look at Smash's history. This game could one of the earliest multi-franchise cross over game. And Smashboard should be in this Smash bros history too.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I just can't wait to see these videos. They are too long for me to see it now. But just look at Smash's history. This game could one of the earliest multi-franchise cross over game. And Smashboard should be in this Smash bros history too.
This site has history, but nothing noteworthy to be in this video(s) (one of the larger hubs for Smashers alike for sure but something like EVO is a much bigger footnote for competitive play existing in Smash Bros).

For the most part, the videos were fair. I can't be too sympathetic with Sakurai since he could easily not done Brawl nor Smash 4. But yeah, it's either him onboard and crapping his health by a couple of years or keep his sanity in check and watch the series potentially go good or bad from afar.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
casual scum detected
You shouldn't attack someone for what game they like more, you look like an idiot for saying something like that and most of the people who say **** like this don't even play smash on a competitive level.

Kluft

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kluft-f-zero
The video was good but theres some things that bother me.

It seems like he never asked any competitive melee why the they didn't enjoy/like brawl.
Which is probably why he mentions speed, game physics and tripping (something both casual and competitive players hate) without further explanation why those things matter.

Because of this someone can easily assume that melee players dislike brawl simply because "it isn't melee".

Last edited:

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Filthy casual detected
You know sometimes casual players bother me, and sometimes people who play brawl bother me, but I wouldn't call them "filthy" or "scum". If it bothers you its actually your problem, not theirs.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I would argue there are such things as wrong or bad opinions, regardless of my compatriots's trolling.
Which only harms our relationships. The people who enjoy Brawl or want to protect 'casuals' and their faulty opinions want desperately to point to examples of flaws in our character. I say don't let them, for even a joke can easily turn against us. Or, make it so patently clear that you're trolling that there's no other way to interpret it. Then again, they're already doing something akin to deliberate misinterpretation, just don't make it easy on them.

Last edited:

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Random user said:
It isn't true that Melee players are aggressive, if anything Brawl/Smash 4 players are
Random user 2 said:
It isn't true that claiming that Brawl is good/great/better than Melee is a giant bersekr button
Random user 3 said:
It isn't true that Melee players claim to be better than other smashers
That's about time that these arguments don't get wrecked.
Personal opinion: pople that like to claim that the game they prefer requires more skill than another spend too much time in claiming it and too little in gaining those skills.

Anyway those videos are great and insightful.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
"HAL was making too many sequels"

proceeds too make smash sequel after smash sequel.

Not sure that I buy that as the only reason for Sakurai leaving to be honest. I've read a variety of things including frustrations with development of Air Ride and location changes with HAL. So I dunno...

I think that perspective is certainly a case of the pot calling the kettle, black.
What Sakurai hates is the idea of making a sequel right after a game just came out; examples like Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty all which have yearly entries which can cause the franchise to staunch. He believes that a game should be enjoyed from the moment of it's release rather than having people expect a sequel immediately.
The Smash series is an entirely different example, since their sequels tend to have 6-7 years in between and are released once per console generation thus allowing each installment to have it's own cycle for players to enjoy.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Opinions are like *****; it's great to have one as long as you aren't shoving it down someone's throat.

Bottom line, we're all united in our passion for Smash Bros. There are some of us who appreciate the whole series. There are some of us who prefer one or a couple games in the series. Both of those are okay; it's what we enjoy.

However, when people coming from either camp come in on another's and proceed to bash and belittle them for their tastes is not okay. It only serves to stretch apart the fissure across the Smash community with the schism after Brawl. You give no benefit to the community. You only reinforce the stereotypes of diehard Smash players being assholes confined to their hugbox!

It may be impossible to eradicate this behavior, but we can control it. So we get along with each other across games and to get along with newbies to our community.

I would argue there are such things as wrong or bad opinions, regardless of my compatriots's trolling.
Which only harms our relationships. The people who enjoy Brawl or want to protect 'casuals' and their faulty opinions want desperately to point to examples of flaws in our character. I say don't let them, for even a joke can easily turn against us. Or, make it so patently clear that you're trolling that there's no other way to interpret it. Then again, they're already doing something akin to deliberate misinterpretation, just don't make it easy on them.
If there's anything wrong or bad from one's opinion, it would be that they're framing it from ignorant or strawmanned notions about one thing (or in this case, Smash Bros. installments.)

The Melee and Brawl fascists are equally guilty of this.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Geez.. Of course there'll be more Smash Games in the future.
It just generates too much money to be shoved under the carpet.

Top Bottom