• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Game Overthinker: Video Games and Violence

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I'm telling this to every gamer I know, because it is a very important issue, and everyone needs to hear what he says!

http://www.screwattack.com/myvidsdontsuck/Final/TheGameOverThinker

Voting for him in this contest would be very beneficial, in that more people would know about him and as such, would be more likely to see this video, but for now, just watch the video and tell every gamer you know!

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
I like Game Overthinker. I've been listening to him since the first episode and I think that most of what he says is true. Hopefully he wins because that Pshykotaku is freakin annoying.

Overload

Smash Lord
Penn and Teller are doing a Bull**** on video game violence. I believe it's coming up in two weeks.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
He seems like a pretty smart guy, but he's wrong about there being no evidence to link game violence to real world violence. Several studies in Germany (where we've had 3 school shootings in the last decade) are suggesting that video games can cause kids to become more violent, and no matter how much you can believe those studies, they're definitely there.

My view on this is Yahtzee's. (up until about 1:04)

kr3wman

Smash Master
I think video games can help people develop some kind of hatred to losing, which can push to violence in certain situations and states of mind.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
He seems like a pretty smart guy, but he's wrong about there being no evidence to link game violence to real world violence. Several studies in Germany (where we've had 3 school shootings in the last decade) are suggesting that video games can cause kids to become more violent, and no matter how much you can believe those studies, they're definitely there.

My view on this is Yahtzee's. (up until about 1:04)
Well, there's no denying that the studies are there, but what annoys me is when the media tends to portray video games as murder simulators just because a murderer played video games.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
:flame:
Do Video Games make people violent? No. School Bullies make people Violent.

Most of the people who say that Video Games make people violent usually look at just the games they play. They don't take into account back ground, history, mental status, or anything. They just make biased assumptions about the game. That's like the "Resident Evil 5 is Racist and is trying to make people Racist" thing I've heard. My God, people are stupid. Grand Theft Auto. No one in their right mind is ever going to say "Oh, I can do it in a game, let's see how long I can do it in real life before the cops come for me, shooting me first, and then I respawn infront of a Hospital or Safe House". Only idiots would ever think to do what they've seen in games, or else, about 10 years ago, every 10 year old would walk around in school clothing with their pets, attacking eachother (not to mention shoving batteries up their Mouse's butts to try to watch them cough up sparks). I know I'd have taken the family Glock and shot half of the people who annoyed me, while hiding behind bens to reload (Time Crisis) if I thought the real world worked like the game world. :p

One thing I did not think about that this man said was about not defending something that needs no defense. I've said it myself about the series, but it just hit home:Kids should not play a game named after a Crime. Parents shouldn't let little kids get into games that they KNOW FROM THE TITLE are not geared for kids. Why does a game need to be banned when you have a frigging warning sign coming at your dang face that you shouldn't play it? Conker's Bad Fur Day, now THAT game was a bad game. I can see why that one needs to be moved, since you'd never think a Squirrel with a Bad Fur Day would ever.... well, I shouldn't say... But Mortal Kombat and Grand Theft Auto.... dude, they are being obvious wit it being a bad game for kids. They aren't hidding any evil. They are warning you instantly!

But all in all, I like this dude. He's cool.

Also, this "Yatsee" dude... I HONESTLY CAN NOT FOLLOW HIS VOICE! HE'S LIKE ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS DURING PUBERTY!! WHAT THE HECK IS HE SAYING!?! I SEE PRETTY PICTURES!!!

:flame:

Top Bottom