• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Future of Brawl

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
So, I'm not sure whether this would go under the SSB4 discussion board or here, but seeing as it directly concerns the Brawl community, I figured here would be a better spot.

So as we all know, Smash Bros. 4 for Wii U is coming out this Winter. I know most of us are all super-hyped for it, and has been with every Smash game to date, an intricate competitive community will be formed around it.

But now see, this leaves Brawl in a bit of a dilemma. Allow me to explain. Every Smash game has some unique aspect to it that makes players gravitate towards it than others. Smash 64 has what could possibly be considered the most legit "combos" in any of the Smash games, and a lot of the gameplay involves exploiting character weights and hitboxes to create inescapable situations, so a lot of the competition relies on mindgames. Melee is the obvious competitive crowd pleaser, due to its speed, weight, and heavily technical gameplay. Heck, even Project M is Brawl made to be more like Melee. And now, Smash 4 looks to be an updated version of Brawl that's faster and is seemingly catered more towards competitive balance. So...where does that leave Brawl? I mean don't get me wrong, Brawl is still a wonderful game, but how is the competitive Brawl scene going to continue to thrive once Smash 4 releases? What exactly will keep you playing Brawl over all the other games?

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Just the way it plays.
Some people might like Brawl at that speed, with those mechanics.
Some.

Having said that, it largely depends on Smash 4, if it turns out to be really bad with really exploitable stuff like GR and a really OP character, then Brawl will thrive.

If it's fine or great, Brawl will still have a little popularity.

But IMO Smash 64 isn't that popular seeing as it had less than half of the Melee entrants in Apex 2014, so I think Brawl might drop to around there.

Also you might like to remember that some main of Brawl vets who got cut. Bar a mod for Smash 4, they'll still probably play Brawl.

TheGoldMan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheGoldMan
3DS FC
1950-8066-7015
Here's how I like to see it:

Big 3
-Smash Wii U
-Melee
-Project M

The no one cares 3
-Smash 64
-Brawl
-Smash 3DS

The no one cares 3 will probably only have Apex going for them, unfortunately.

JE-AT

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jeatkid
3DS FC
2449-5643-6466
Switch FC
SW 3821-2527-4509
I liked Brawl for the big amount of content the game provided. I love every other Smash with Melee being my least favorite. I enjoy Project M more than Melee IMO. I'm all for Smash for 3DS/Wii U but I will most likely return to Brawl for good times sake.

Defile

Smash Apprentice
Brawl's competitive scene has been in serious decline since PM 3.0 came out, and Smash 4 will probably make it go extinct. Smash 4 seems much more like Brawl than Melee, so the people who prefer Brawl over Melee will just switch over, while the Melee people will stick with Melee and PM. It's sad, but Brawl probably doesn't have much of a future at tournaments.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I like Brawl the most because the single-player had me grow very used to the physics and controls, it has a lot of features I use (like stage builder and song control), and because trophy tussle 2 is a horrible mission that needs to die a slow, agonizing death.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Brawl's future is entirely dependent on how many people want to mope around about there being no tournaments instead of doing something about there being no tournaments

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
For me, I'll still play with Brawl. I never gave a crap about profecssional tournaments, since I'm an introvert, and I take gaming more as a hobby than a profession. What I loved about Brawl was so much available to do. I loved Subspace Emissary, I loved getting trophies and stickers, I loved playing by myself and with friends, and I loved logging in hours and hours into the game. So I'll still be a fan of Brawl, and will still play the game.

pickle962

Smash Lord
Brawl's competitive scene has honestly been in a strong decline since Project Melee dropped version 3.0 of the mod. Smash 4 looks to be the stake that will officially kill it for good imo. Melee no doubt will still go strong for another year or two at EVO and most likely MLG as well depending on Smash 4 being able to be the game that dethrones Melee as the fan preferred entry in the series overall. Now what about Brawl you ask? As a game that sliced the community in two and caused many a flame war over the past 6 years, it goes without saying that its "glory days" if you want to call them that at MLG and other pro gaming tournaments are far behind it since Melee's revival and the rise of PM! If anything, it will recede into the shadows and embrace the comfort of its oldest brother, Smash 64, and the community for Brawl I feel in a year or two after 4 is released on both 3DS and Wii U will much like the 64 community be literally a niche, but passionate community hosting grassroots esque tournaments (small local tournaments) and every now and again pop its head out of its underground layer as a side event for major Melee, PM, and 4 tournaments.

Sarin

Smash Rookie
It seems likely that Smash 4 will douse the last ember Brawl has kept. I will keep playing Brawl, but I think (for me personally) since Smash 4 is closer to Brawl I will be okay with the fate of it.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, I will keep playing Brawl as a way of promoting 3DS and Wii U so by the time those come out, I probably will end up not playing Brawl ever again.

Cassio

Smash Master
Brawl is the most read intensive of any smash game, and itll probably hold that title from now until forever.

shapular

Smash Ace
I don't think it's a bad thing if Smash 4 kills off Brawl. I think the ideal outcome is that it kills off Brawl, Melee, and PM, and everybody is playing Smash 4. We're kind of a weak community right now due to how split we are, and I hope Smash 4 can be the thing that reunites us. We don't need the "Brawl vs. Melee vs. PM" debate to turn into a "Brawl vs. Melee vs. PM vs. Smash 4" debate.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
From a popular (casual) standpoint, I think Smash 4 will trump Brawl, much like Brawl trumped Melee. From a competitive standpoint, Brawl's been declining for quite some time, and is all but dead now. It kinda makes me sad, but as with any fighting game series I look forward to the new sequel and all that it has to offer.

krakkenchaos

Smash Rookie
I mean, somehow N64 still has a small scene, I don't see Brawl completely disappearing. It's a niche thing really. Personally, I'm not a competitive player, but when Brawl came out I was blown away by the amount of content. It was new and exciting at the time, but after playing it so much, it got old, not bad, just old. Now, I go back to Melee sometimes for nostalgia. I predict the same will happen with SSB4; we'll be amazed by it while it's new and by the time it starts to get old, Brawl will be old enough that it feels new again.

This was kinda rambly, but I'm tired and it made sense in my head.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
I hope that brawl sticks around. I know it's never been the most popular, but I'm not interested in getting a wii u and I got into competitive smash through brawl so I'd certainly prefer to see it stay in the tournament scene even if it doesn't get as much recognition as 4, melee and PM. I feel that people shouldn't try to have it die just because they have a preference to one of the other smash games because whether or not it is easier then PM or melee doesn't matter. If people like the game then I dont see why that must be questioned. But unfortunately I feel that brawl's lack of popularity may cause it to loose its tournament scene, but here's hoping it wont.

Sensei

Smash Lord
I'll probably only occasionally pick up brawl as a party and for fun with casual friends who don't have any other smash game. SSB for N64 is my favorite game in the series, so I will always prefer that,

Top Bottom