• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The four behaviors of smash.

Zjiin

Smash Master
I have used this system to determine how a smash player acts in a match, and how to approach this properly you have to understand the mindset that this creates. Other people have agreed that this is a pretty accurate system of play styles. Every smash player fits into a category or sub category of one of the four following behaviors:

Ferocious Tiger

Patient Owl

Clever Mongoose

Clumsy Llama

Now I’ll go into depth of what these styles actually mean.

Ferocious Tiger~
Someone who plays like this is often constantly throwing out an attack regardless of the distance, percentage, or actions of the opponent. They usually take advantage of every opportunity for a combo and are known to suicide due to the fact that they cannot stop themselves from chasing people off the edge. Ferocious tigers are relentless and love to wail on shields knowing that it’s only a matter of time before their 0-death combo (or attempt) will kick in. Over-anxious, these players will more than likely dominate team games, will plow though teammates to get to an opponent and will even steal kills from their opponent. Ferocious tigers love nothing more than a long, drawn-out aerial combo to death.(know FTs are foxes, falcos, marths and falcons)

Patient Owl~
A patient owl type player is often considered a camper, although this isn’t always the case. They will use their good knowledge of spacing and priority to plan out their attacks. These smashers hold true to the advice “don’t get hit” and will run away when things look unsafe or unsure. A patient owl dash dances and grabs more than any other smash behavior. If things are looking bad, they will revert to running down the clock while keeping a safe distance. (known POs are peaches, marths, and samuses)

Clever Mongoose~
To be a clever mongoose, you need to be technical or have good overall knowledge of the game itself. These players will often do unorthodox moves or risky strategies to catch their opponent off guard. Mindgames are a clever mongoose’s best friend and can make up for tech skill with them. CM’s are known to save their opponents when taking the risk to humiliate them further. (i.e. attempting a spike, instead of ensuring a kill by just edgehogging.) Tech chasing and calling DI is a big part of their game. A clever mongoose can easily get into the heads of an unprepared opponent. This is more seen in lower tier characters to even the playing field. (known CMs are mewtwos, samuses, ice climbers, luigis, and various low-tiers)

Clumsy Llama~
If you know novice space animal players, then chances are that you know what a clumsy llama is. Clumsy llamas often try to do more than they are prepared for, either physically or mentally. Trying to be more like a ferocious tiger, they do not yet have the finger speed or the muscle memory to accomplish the glorious combos they have planned in their heads. Known to suicide more than any other behavior due to unintended moves, (over+B with space animals) these players worst enemy are themselves. A clear sign of a clumsy llama is improper air dodges. (Usually off the side when attempting to wavedash or into the side of the stage when jumping off the ledge) These players are also easily scared due to their unsteady nerves. (known CLs are foxes, falcos, and falcons)

Now of course not everyone falls into one of these categories. As you read through, you might have found a little of all in your own play style. These can be divided up into “sub-categories” of two different styles. For example:

My personal play style is of both the Clever Mongoose and the Clumsy Llama. The one I am more of, will be the first part, and then the other style will be the second. I am more CM than CL so I am a ‘Clever Llama’. (I use tricks for the majority of my game, but will suicide or do something stupid once in a while)

So if you are very defensive most of the time (patient owl) and once you get a good opening you 0-death combo (ferocious tiger) that would make you a ‘Patient Tiger’ (patient going first because it is the more dominant trait in your play style)

Some players are JUST one type and some are more of a 50/50 type. There will rarely be someone who are three types, and if you think you might be all four, then you don’t know how to properly judge yourself.

All in all this is all in good fun, but the smashers in my area told me I should make this public, since I use these terms quite often.

xelad1

Smash Ace
this post is amazing... but why do llamas have to be clumsy :(

I guess most of the time I would be a ferocious tiger mainly in friendlies. If I'm really trying or want to win badly I turn into a patient owl/clever mongoose but I usually get bored playing like this which probably isn't good. I wish I could be more patient consistently. I'm only a clumsy llama when I haven't practiced tech skill/played for a long time which rarely happens...

ThatGuy

Smash Master
What a silly post. What's with the gimmicky words and animal names? Aren't attributes such as "Offensive, Defensive, Camper, Scrub" enough? Inventing terms such as these serve only to confuse people.

Zjiin

Smash Master
What a silly post. What's with the gimmicky words and animal names? Aren't attributes such as "Offensive, Defensive, Camper, Scrub" enough? Inventing terms such as these serve only to confuse people.
Defensive and camper are the same category. And sub categories work better with these because saying someone is defensive/offensive makes little sense to people.

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
I loved the names and the descriptions, the animals used are superb examples.

I'm stuck on how to classify myself. I know I'm definitely a Clever Mongoose, to the point of it being 70% of how I play. I sort of morph between Tiger and Owl a lot of the time. I don't have a video to supply for examination, maybe you should create some sort of questionairre? That'd be rocking. :-)

Apon further speculation, I've come to the conclusion that I am a Clever Tiger. This is a fun way to break the game down, my friends like it as well.

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to edit this post later and think of what I am...really deep...

Edit: I'm a Ferocious Owl, although I sometimes suicide, which would make me a Ferocious Llama, but very rarely.

orintemple

Smash Lord
This is great, and completely accurate. Every person is somewhere within these descriptions. I love the "Chinese Lore-ish" animal names too. I would place myself as the Ferocious Tiger who is constantly learning from the Patient Owl as he improves.

Also, I think everyone is a Clumsy Llama sometimes, no one is perfect, so this one is kind of a given to go to everyone.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Every smash player fits into a category or sub category of one of the four following behaviors:
This doesn't even begin to classify all smash players, you'd need like at least 3 more animals.
And your fourth category doesn't even make any sense given the context of your other three. Its not even a playstyle, its just inadequacy of the player's abilities.

In short: Its too vague, doesn't cover even close to everything, and the animal names suck.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
i consider myself more of a clever douchebag
I've been referred to as a Raging **** by some of my scrub friends >_>

But yeah, I guess as a bottom tier main I fall under the Clever Mongoose category although sometimes I pull out Falco and turn into a Ferocious Owl (I go combo heavy for most of the match but if things look bad I start camping and relying on my grabs more)

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Patient Owl. I'm a camper and **** proud of it.

I can't play Sheik because I can't dash dance with Sheik >_>

I know a Ferocious Llama though. Man, that sounds funny.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I'd say I'm a clever tiger.

I play Ice Climbers, but I play a little more reckless and aggressive than most IC players.

Zjiin, I absolutely love this thread lol.

Smash Master
I'm a Ferocious Llama.

I don't have the patience to camp or the reflexes to techchase and predict. So I attack. A lot. Sometimes I space really poorly though and get shield-grabbed.

Sparx

Smash Cadet
Ferocious Mongoose Llama.

I'll be all over you all throughout the match, spamming bairs and fairs and occasionally dairs then juggle you with uairs and finally try to spike you. This doesn't always work out, and I usually have the technical skill to come back, but at times the llama side of me will come out. (i.e. accidental forward+b whilst recovering because I know what you're about to do as soon as I poke my non-sweetspottable head just a teeny bit above the floor and I was trying to up+b with a strong horizontal direction so I could grab the edge ASAP, dodging after being hit off the stage because I thought I was still on the stage and I saw you charging that move and thought my shield would go up before you hit me, etc.)

gobbo107

Smash Rookie
i'm mostly a tiger but sometimes go a bit mongoosy but god this is true all the people i play with apart from 1 fit into these catergorys

APImagine

Smash Apprentice
I think I'm a clever tiger.

My friend's a ferocious tiger ALL THE WAY. And he uses Fox, which is a perfect fit.

The good thing is, his playing style is very easy to read.

Top Bottom