• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Food Disscusion

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why not just mix up stir fry recipes?

Add in new ingredients, use different sauces or meats

Try adding egg in it, I think it taste good

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Why not just mix up stir fry recipes?

Add in new ingredients, use different sauces or meats

Try adding egg in it, I think it taste good

I've definitely thought abut adding in egg, it would be interesting. I am looking into more sauces--I made this peanut one that turned out well. I'm also thinking food that are something more like Pad Thai or the kind of dishes seen in "Eat, Drink, Man, Woman."

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anyone know of any good and easy Asian recipes? I'm making so much stir fry I'm starting to loathe myself.
Should search for some Asian food bloggers, usually people who blog about recipes like to do things that are simple and reasonable to make.

I like to make a steamed egg and minced pork dish, which is super easy to do (provided you have something big enough to steam with), or you could always try doing a cold soba noodle salad or something. Curry's easy to make too if you have somewhere where you can buy the paste from.

Had this delivered to my door today:

It's awesome being a food blogger n__n

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Ever since playing KHII I've always wanted to try sea-salt ice cream. I've read a recipe but have never gotten around to making it.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ever since playing KHII I've always wanted to try sea-salt ice cream. I've read a recipe but have never gotten around to making it.
I had sea-salt and caramel ice-cream when I was in Portland, it was absolutely delicious <3

And yes, poppy seed is delicious, almost like it more than chocolate...!

Just baked these, tim tams (chocolate coated wafer biscuits) wrapped in peanut butter cookies...didn't come out too bad, might actually need to use peanuts instead of peanut butter to get it a bit nuttier next time.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I'm gonna go ahead and make a fudge brownie a la mode when I get to new york.

The question is, what flavor will it be?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
So I want to elaborate on my new concept idea of a restaurant: Hotcakes. More specifically, flavoured hotcakes. I mean, make the base dough with flavors.

So far I've made a couple: Nutella, Chocolate, Whisky, Wodka, Rum, Kiwi, Strawberry, Nuts, Orange... And I plan on making some other more bizarre flavors like Bacon, Wasabi and Basil....

But in the end the Hotcake dough itself's flavor is very obtrusive and the added ones are very slightly identifiable. I'll try working them differently (like, no sugar, no butter, etc.) and tell you how it goes.

Just a random unwind of ideas.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I'll try working them differently (like, no sugar, no butter, etc.) and tell you how it goes.

Sugar, butter/fat and salt are ingredients that enhance the flavor of everything to a certain extent. If you don't use enough of them it'll taste like nothing. If you use too much of them it'll taste too much. The problem is that when you bake something the raw dough tastes a lot more intense than the finished cupcake does. Sometimes you think the dough tastes just the way it should and once the cupcake are finished they barely taste of anything. In most cases it means that you didn't use enough salt. Salt is actually pretty essential for any sweet dish.

If you want to add different flavors into a dough here's what to do: you start by whisking egg yolk in a bowl and add molten butter. As you keep on whisking you add whatever taste you want the dough to have. Alcohol is difficult because it tends to get bitter when you warm it up too much. But juice or puree of fruit, nougat, marzipan, vanilla, cinnamon or even unconventional things can work pretty well. It's just important that you keep the formula: molten butter and flavor of your choosing whisked into egg yolk, then sugar whisked into it until the whole thing has a somewhat creamy texture. After you add flour, salt [both essential!] and whatever else you want to have in the dough [nuts or seeds or whatever].

:059:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You can substitute butter for an oil like canola oil or corn oil if flavor is necessary, but for salt there isn't much of a obvious alternative, though at the same time you could experiment with different types of salt like kosher salt or sea salt. You could also substitute brown sugar with honey, which is a more healthy alternative since it's naturally processed sugars.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
From what I've seen, the difference between table salt and kosher salt is that iodine is added to table salt, and that kosher salt is larger.

A lot of recipes call for kosher salt because it's easier to control, since it's larger BUT kosher salt also doesn't dissolve as well - it being bigger and all.

Some people think table salt is "Saltier" but it's probably from them being sensitive to the iodine in it. Chemically, I couldn't find a source that said they were different. Though one person claimed table salt had more sodium.

Apparently Iodine was added to table salt originally because people were suffering from a disease caused by iodine deficiency

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Some people think table salt is "Saltier" but it's probably from them being sensitive to the iodine in it.

No, it's because table salt particles are smaller. They dissolve faster on your tongue than sea salt or fleur de sel do and thus taste more aggressive.

:059:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
From what I've seen, the difference between table salt and kosher salt is that iodine is added to table salt, and that kosher salt is larger.

A lot of recipes call for kosher salt because it's easier to control, since it's larger BUT kosher salt also doesn't dissolve as well - it being bigger and all.

Some people think table salt is "Saltier" but it's probably from them being sensitive to the iodine in it. Chemically, I couldn't find a source that said they were different. Though one person claimed table salt had more sodium.

Apparently Iodine was added to table salt originally because people were suffering from a disease caused by iodine deficiency

That's actually exactly right.

I haven't done much with hotcakes, but I've recently kind of been researching how to spin sugar and make caramel, so you could possibly use those as toppings? Just a thought. Spun sugar, from what I've read is really more for aesthetic more than anything.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
But caramel flavor is a thing (that's how you make flans). Thanks Gheb, I'll try that out whenever I get the chance

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I just had a simple, but great brunch a few hours ago. I decided to make the same thing myself and post it when I return to orlando.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Yesterday I made the dinner, while the turkey is traditional and all I made something different.
Steamed Chicken Legs, made with Red Wine, Cranberries, Paprika and Hibiscus, served with Almonds.
On the sides, a salad of lettuce, carrot, jicama, grapes and strawberries, with a dressing of orange and lime juices, olive oil and spices (basil, thyme, laurel and others). And a pasta to be served with it.

For the first time I didn't mess up a family dinner. :v:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I eat Turkey for Thanksgiving so I don't see any point in eating it again for Christmas

Every holiday should have their own special meal

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Definitely agreed. For Christmas, we had lamb shepherd's pie and it was deeeelicious. Let the turkeys rest for a bit, eat up for next November. I actually don't think I know anyone who eats the traditional Christmas turkey OR the traditional Christmas ham.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Definitely agreed. For Christmas, we had lamb shepherd's pie and it was deeeelicious. Let the turkeys rest for a bit, eat up for next November. I actually don't think I know anyone who eats the traditional Christmas turkey OR the traditional Christmas ham.
I had turkey, ham and lamb. There's no reason to have a special turkey in November because there's no Thanksgiving in Australia.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Well, as Thanksgiving is not a tradition here in Mexico, turkey is VERY common down here during Christmas.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Ahh I love food. Lol. Tacos and Burritos are probably my favorite, so I love Chili's and Mighty Taco and Mexican Restaurants. I admit I also love most of anything from McDonalds.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
And are you sure that what they serve you is actual mexican food?

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I can't stop laughing at the two above comments......lol

Anyway Italian food is the best imo, its really top notch. Yes i'm invading this thread too.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
I second the Italian, but I'm big on Japanese food too. Can't get enough of it. Just went to a revolving sushi bar and tried everything sushi and non-sushi there. Besides the natto, my tummy was completely satisfied.

**** natto, seriously... Maybe if it were more sweet...

That said, all countries have it's weird stuff, lol.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I can't stop laughing at the two above comments......lol

Anyway Italian food is the best imo, its really top notch. Yes i'm invading this thread too.
I actually dislike most Italian food

Top Bottom