• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Final Five DLC Characters

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Why would they need a character to advertise the N64? It's been on the wishlist of many fans and expected to happen plus everyone knows it's gonna sell like hot cakes after how the NES and SNES minis did.

The only advertisement Nintendo has to do is one announcement and they will be sold out in preorders in less than 12 hours.
It's less about "needing" the advertisement and more of "If Nintendo were to get from them the rights to use Banjo Kazooie/Tooie/Goldeneye/Perfect Dark/etc., there could be a deal pertaining to smash somewhere in there to help bring attention". I'm not saying that B-K is anywhere near a guarantee, but they definitely have a chance that is worth mentioning, unlike saying the Big N would somehow choose Kratos to be DLC.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Considering the main mario cast is here, and splatoon 2 and 1-2 switch don't have much to offer in terms of characters I think they'd look further down the list. Kirby Star Allies and DKC: TF being the notable ones in the top 10 along with BOTW
most of the main mario cast is here, and splatoon 2 had many characters

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
My guesses for the five stages to go with my five guesses:

* Bandana Waddle Dee: Already we have quite a few Kirby stages drawing from the 90's games, so I imagine something themed after one of the newer games, with the soundtrack in a similar manner.
* Banjo-Kazooie: Spiral Mountain (music from Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie)
* Dixie Kong: Gangplank Galleon (can serve as a twofer: a home stage for King K. Rool and Dixie's debut in DKC2. Music tracks will draw quite a bit from DKC2)
* Geno: Bowser's Keep (much like Dixie above, a villain home twofer, this time for Bowser. Also incorporating elements from Super Mario RPG such as the Kinklink chandeliers and an occasional appearance from Exor, Obviously there'd be music from SMRPG, perhaps with a couple extra tracks from Mario and Luigi, also from the same conductor)
* Rayman: The Dream Forest (sort of a similar layout to the first world in the first game. Music from throughout the series, both old and new)

volbound1700

Smash Master
Steve from Minecraft
Granblue Character
Pink Gold Peach
Pokemon
Xenoblade Character

Everyone hates it and doesn't buy it. I am very jaded right now after the last direct.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Predictions now Nintendo's taking the reigns:

- Captain or regular Toad: Heavily used for promotion for general Nintendo adverts such as the Mobile service, had a port out this year that they were pushing, can be used to advertise literally any Mario spinoff game or main Mario title if the Captain. Should really have been in the game already. Would come with a Toadette alt as she's being pushed as much as Toad is these days.

- Meltan: Early bird Gen 8 Pokemon, heavily used in current Pokemon Go and Let's Go promotions. Seems to be relatively well recieved.

- Three Houses character: Most commonly suggested is Edelgard but I'm not ruling out the actual protagonist of the game(similar to how Robin was chosen over Chrom in Sm4sh)

- Bandana Waddle Dee: Number one wanted character in Japan. Kirby has done really well internationally of recent too. Should be a no brainer, but Nintendo may have to force Sakurai's hand to make happen.

- Dixie Kong or Rex: I was leaning Rex for a while, due to them pushing the DLC for Xenoblade 2 as well as cross promotions with Breath of the Wild, but Dixie Kong is a character that seems to be making a resurgence. I'd personally prefer Dixie due to being a bigger Nintendo All Star and with senority and a future in the ever growing DK games, but could see Rex happening before.

Other options I'm not ruling out:
-Eevee over Meltan, Pokeball be damned.
-Paper Mario over Toad. Obvious which I'd prefer, but Paper Mario isn't an awful choice at all.
-Possibly a third party over Dee. No idea who though. Maybe Crash or an Octopath character to fit in that 'Square rep' space everyone's insisting on.

I personally don't think we're going to get many third parties at all.

Rick4Smash

Smash Rookie
I could probably guess three...
  1. Bandanna Waddle Dee
  2. Tails
  3. Akuma
The last two would be shockers though; they're characters who also appear as Assist Trophies in the base game.
  1. Shadow
  2. Waluigi (the biggest shocker to conclude the season 1 pass, especially considering his spin-off only history)
If the Piranha Plant and Chrom have shown us anything, it's to expect the unexpected.
I think people are forgetting why Piranha was probably added. Low polygon count. Incineroar as the final reveal for the base roster makes sense, because that looks like a technical nightmare. If there's anything that's clear to me about Ultimate it's that the easier to render a character, the more likely it's going to be in Smash. Isabelle is also a good example of this, and the several echo fighters that use the same base animation sets. Which is why I'm personally high on the idea of Bandana Waddle-Dee, Jibanyan, K.K Slider, Chief Kawasaki, Toad, and Slime becoming characters.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Nintendo choose all the DLC characters?
Whelp my predictions just took a sudden preparation for a wave of crushing disappointment.

1) Fire Emblem Three Houses Rep
2) Luigi Mansion 3 Character
3) Metroid Prime 4 Character
4) Meltan or some kinda Go related character
5) Granblue or mobile partner character...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Nintendo choose all the DLC characters?
Whelp my predictions just took a sudden preparation for a wave of crushing disappointment.

1) Fire Emblem Three Houses Rep
2) Luigi Mansion 3 Character
3) Metroid Prime 4 Character
4) Meltan or some kinda Go related character
5) Granblue or mobile partner character...
Luigi is the Luigi's Mansion 3 character. And if Rex is too new even for DLC, why aren't Meltan and Edlegard?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I talked about this in the Geno thread but I feel like most if not all the characters will have readily accessible games and maybe one will be an honest to God promotional character. A promotional Pokemon seems like a total oxymoron. Pokemon needs no introduction. You could make a Pokemon game where it's just an unshaved Professor Oak gradually getting more and more drunk on Jim Beam in his underwear in a recliner while he watches TCM and it would still probably sell a million copies. Having promotional characters for the Binding Blade and Fire Emblem Fates made sense but Pokemon 8th Gen on an absolutely booming console? No... With Fire Emblem's pole vault in popularity in the last 6 years, I feel like a Three Thrones character would be kind of redundant too. Fire Emblem Heroes has done great globally (note how it was the third major Nintendo IP to get a mobile game to boot) and the series is far away from being the literally what that it was in the Melee and even Brawl days.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Whose edgelord?
One of the three main heros in Three Thrones. She wields an axe and uses magic so of course most of the Fire Emblem fandom has attached itself to her like a koala with separation anxiety. I think they're setting themselves up for heartbreak, just like they did with Lynn and Hector for Smash in the Brawl days.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I talked about this in the Geno thread but I feel like most if not all the characters will have readily accessible games and maybe one will be an honest to God promotional character. A promotional Pokemon seems like a total oxymoron. Pokemon needs no introduction. You could make a Pokemon game where it's just an unshaved Professor Oak gradually getting more and more drunk on Jim Beam in his underwear in a recliner while he watches TCM and it would still probably sell a million copies. Having promotional characters for the Binding Blade and Fire Emblem Fates made sense but Pokemon 8th Gen on an absolutely booming console? No... With Fire Emblem's pole vault in popularity in the last 6 years, I feel like a Three Thrones character would be kind of redundant too. Fire Emblem Heroes has done great globally (note how it was the third major Nintendo IP to get a mobile game to boot) and the series is far away from being the literally what that it was in the Melee and even Brawl days.
I get this feeling too. I'm sure they noted the backlash against Corrin in the last one, so I don't know if they're going to go for a repeat of that with Edelgard. Add to that the Sakurai did look at the list, and he probably is going to discourage more Fire Emblems since he thought it was overrepped before Corrin, and then they still got another clone. Other promotions, though...I'm sure the suits will hope at least one is, but with Rex and Spring Man seemingly out, it does raise questions.

Fire Emblem should get another stage though.

I can see most of the DLC being third party as well. I feel like an internet-breaking third party will sell much better than a side character from a Nintendo franchise, considering most of the big names are already in. I don't know if the suits would favor niche franchises that way.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
In light of the recent events involving Nintendo picking DLC and Sakurai explicitly telling us to stop supporting potential newcomers, I think the DLC's going to have a few 3rd parties, a few promotional fighters, and ZERO fan favorites.

71: Eldrick (Dragon Quest)
72: Byleth (Fire Emblem: Three Houses) Edit: Not Edelgard because from the looks of it, she's more like Xander/Ryoma (major characters, but not the protagonist), whereas Byleth is the game's version of Corrin (the actual protagonist).
73: Steve (Minecraft)
74: Gen 8 Pokemon
75: Katalina (Granblue Fantasy)

Not taking the order into account, I'm confident in 4 out of 5 of them; the only one I'm not 99% sure about is #75, since there are rumors that that fighter was scrapped.
due to legal issues
However, I believe most of what Hitagi is saying, since he shares most of his sources with Vergeben.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Prediction
1. Steve
2. The Japanese Mobile character
3. Noctis
4. Arle Nadja
5. Someone from FE
Noctis is probably out of the running based on recent events. Yeesh. I guess I’ll change my predictions.
1. Steve
2. Grandblue character
3. Arle Nadja
4. FE mobile character
5. FE SWitch character

Steve and the Grandblue girl make perfect sense. I think Nintendo would ask for them over other characters, and Sakurai would be able to make movesets for them easily.
FE characters are a bit too easy to see coming.
I think Arle is going to surprise a lot of people. Nintendo knows she has recent and upcoming Switch titles, polls show she is a popular request in Japan, and she feels like a character Sakurai would be able to work with. We're seeing so many obscure titles be referenced as Spirits, so I'm suspicious seeing that Puyo Puyo isn't represented yet.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Hey guys, just wanted to show off this video I've been working on for the past couple of days. Lloyd is the character I'm pulling for the most when it comes to smash ultimate. I thought it'd be fun to test myself and try to bring together all the information I had available to make the case on why he's a top contender for one of the 5 DLC spots. I've never made a video before so I'm totally new to editing and voicing things so im defs open to any and all feedback you guys may have. Feel free to share it as much as you can! Hope you enjoy the video if you find time to watch it! Thanks!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
why does everyone assume that nintendo's involvement in the character selection in crease the odds of a three houses character when it was the sams team's doing that there are so many fire emblem characters?

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Knowing that these are Nintendo picks is not a good sign, but hope is not lost; Sakurai did make the final decisions. So I don't think these picks will be terrible, just not dream picks.

Geno. Listen, I never believed for a second Geno was going to be in this game. SE isn't capable of that kindness. They want to make money above all else, always have and pretty sure always will. They'll put a DQ character, or Sora, or some other current trend on the table before anything as obscure as Geno. I think it's very unfortunate, but SE is garbo and they can't even give us a decent tracklist of FF music, or Cloud featured in cut-scenes. And if Nintendo is choosing, well that's the final nail in the coffin. Geno's not a possibility.

Banjo-Kazooie. I'll admit that I am pretty scared. Steve is being rumored? C'mon please. This ass character is going to get in over a legacy pick like Banjo, or even something that makes sense like Master Chief? It's going to hurt. Microsoft is interested in the Banjo series, the license was recently renewed by Rare, and Sakurai should certainly be aware of the character, but no way did Nintendo come over and say "hey let's advertise Banjo for Microsoft, that sounds good." We all know that Microsoft's new acquisitions probably means a new Banjo game is on the horizon somewhere, but Nintendo is not interested in this. No, Steve is certainly the BUSINESS choice.

My realistic hopes are for a new Zelda character, a good Namco choice like Lloyd, and maybe some kind of surprise we wouldn't see coming. I don't really want a new Metroid character, that void has now been filled. I think Porky Minch would be an excellent choice to accompany the Mother 3 announcement that's 100% coming very soon (lol). A proper retro character would be nice, but perhaps not logical as dlc. Saki Amamiya is missing as an AT, AND I LOVE SIN AND PUNISHMENT. So maybe Nintendo can advertise for the N64 classic with Saki Amamiya, because S&P is coming to the Switch 64 library right? Right?

There's 5 slots guys, some of them are going to be dumb choices. But at least one of them could be something truly special that speaks to you. The dream characters aren't happening, sure, but it's not doom and gloom until we see the choices.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Byleth
3. Erdrick
4. Rex & Pyra
5. Waluigi

Two advertisement characters, two fan favorites (one a guest, the other being acknowledged by Nintendo) and one guest from one of the the last big 80s franchises.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think people put waaay too much stock in there being a Cygames character. Granblue was a Japanese mobile exclusive released in 2014. I feel like someone from Dragalia Lost would be more likely but the game only released two months ago and if Xenoblade 2 and ARMS were considered too late for this game, why would it be considered, especially when it was a Japanese and US exclusive?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think people put waaay too much stock in there being a Cygames character. Granblue was a Japanese mobile exclusive released in 2014. I feel like someone from Dragalia Lost would be more likely but the game only released two months ago and if Xenoblade 2 and ARMS were considered too late for this game, why would it be considered, especially when it was a Japanese and US exclusive?
Vergeben himself has dismissed the possibility of Katalina becoming playable, claiming that the negotiations fell through.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
EDIT: Wow, just realized how long this post was. Apologies.

1. Erdrick

Since Vergeben has claimed that we will get a Square Enix character, and he is the most reliable source we have, I’m very confident that we’ll be getting a SE character of some sort. If it’s Nintendo’s choice, a Dragon Quest character definitely makes the most sense to me given how tied the series is to Nintendo, and how overwhelmingly popular it is in Japan. And while Slime is cool, I think having an actual hero playable would be more fitting.

2. Min Min/Twintelle

I still feel like an ARMS rep is very very possible. It was a pretty damn successful new IP, and has been getting quite a bit of support from Nintendo. Also I’m about to go on a bit of a ramble regarding Spring Man so bare with me. While Spring Man is often considered the “main character” of ARMS, he could easily just be considered the main protagonist, which doesn’t matter all that much in fighting games. Even though Liu Kang is the main protagonist of Mortal Kombat, he is never considered the face of the series. Instead, Scorpion and Sub-Zero are the most popular characters that come to everyone’s mind when it comes to MK, despite both having pretty minor story importance. And I feel that given how new ARMS is, it’s kind of hard to tell if Spring Man is more of Ryu - the main protagonist and the series’ iconic character. Or if he’s just a Liu Kang, a.k.a. Mr. Main Protagonist Man that no one really cares about.

Basically all I’m saying is that there are other characters who could fill in as our ARMS rep just fine as the series doesn’t really have a face yet. Personally I like Min Min the most, but Twintelle is also hella popular so whatever works. Although I would find it kind of odd that our ARMS rep doesn’t even use her arms...maybe that’s just me.

3. Obligatory Gen 8 Mon

We all know this song and dance. Pokémon is wildly popular, is always getting new entries with new characters, and with Gen 8 on the rise...well you could say that this is a very safe bet.

4. Three Houses Rep

Same deal as Pokémon. Very safe bet.

5. Banjo-Kazooie

Again I have a lot of faith that Vergeben knows what he’s saying, and since he seems to claim that there will be Minecraft “content,” I think that there is a good chance that there will be some kind of Microsoft character along with that content. And while Steve could work just fine, I feel like a Minecraft stage would make more sense, while Banjo is the character. Also, in addition to Verge’s claims, Nintendo and Microsoft have been working very close as of late and Phil Spencer has expressed quite a bit of interest in getting Banjo in Smash. Things are looking good for these two.

Some honorable mentions:
Rayman - This poor guy. He had a decent chance for Sm4sh. Seemed like a front runner for Sm4sh DLC. And was sometimes considered a shoo in during early Ultimate speculation. Now...barely anyone talks about him. But with Nintendo and Ubisoft being besties and Nintendo choosing the DLC, maybe this could finally be his chance?

Toad - Huge Nintendo icon that is being pushed pretty hard lately as an individual character. I just have my doubts given his current role in the game.

Dixie - A solid choice. I’m just doubtful that it would be a huge priority for Nintendo.

Bandana Dee - Kind of the same deal as Dixie.

Waluigi - Would be a hell of a twist. And it has been a long time since E3, where Nintendo may have been able to notice the backlash of his assist trophy. I could see it.

Rex & Pyra - While I don’t think the Mii costume rules them out, I do feel like it might imply that this isn’t quite their time. Maybe they’d be better fit for a second pack?

Rhythm Heaven Rep - This one is a bit more hopeful. But if a RH game is in the works, which does seem possible, it definitely could happen. After all, it probably is the largest Nintendo series that isn’t yet represented in Smash.

Anyway, a lot could happen. It’s really hard to predict DLC but I tried my best. I’m definitely the most confident in the first five listed, but any of the characters listed I believe have a really good shot.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
2. Min Min/Twintelle - I still feel like an ARMS rep is very very possible. It was a pretty damn successful new IP, and has been getting quite a bit of support from Nintendo. Also I’m about to go on a bit of a ramble regarding Spring Man so bare with me. While Spring Man is often considered the “main character” of ARMS, he could easily just be considered the main protagonist, which doesn’t matter all that much in fighting games. Even though Liu Kang is the main protagonist of Mortal Kombat, he is never considered the face of the series. Instead, Scorpion and Sub-Zero are the most popular characters that come to everyone’s mind when it comes to MK, despite both having pretty minor story importance. And I feel that given how new ARMS is, it’s kind of hard to tell if Spring Man is more of Ryu - the main protagonist and the series’ iconic character. Or if he’s just a Liu Kang, a.k.a. Mr. Main Protagonist Man that no one really cares about.

Basically all I’m saying is that there are other characters who could fill in as our ARMS rep just fine as the series doesn’t really have a face yet. Personally I like Min Min the most, but Twintelle is also hella popular so whatever works. Although I would find it kind of odd that our ARMS rep doesn’t even use her arms...maybe that’s just me.
Not sure that it matters or not, but Twintelle and Min Min are Spirits. I'm *not* one of those people that tote the idea that a Spirit can't be DLC, though ARMS was released a few months before Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which was apparently too late for Rex to make the game. But maybe Sakurai just meant the base roster, so who knows!

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Am I missing something? Or does it seem bad on Nintendo's part to make 4 or all 5 DLC fighters third party? I see 2 or 3 at best. Here's my list, it's a mix of reasonable guesses yet mainly desires.
  1. Sora: 75% want, 25% prediction. He seems likely given the big talk around KH3 rn, but I'm not holding onto anything.
  2. Bandana Waddle Dee: He really seems like the most likely 1st party character left.
  3. Elma: Xenoblade is huge now, and I feel that Rex missed out if DLC was already planned from the start, which looks that way.
  4. Banjo or Steve: We're gonna get Microsoft content one way or another, and they seem like the most likely. Plus I love Banjo.
  5. ???: Honestly I think some kind of first party character. Maybe Dixie/Funky, a new Zelda rep, or Labo Man. Chorus Kids as well.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Am I missing something? Or does it seem bad on Nintendo's part to make 4 or all 5 DLC fighters third party? I see 2 or 3 at best. Here's my list, it's a mix of reasonable guesses yet mainly desires.
  1. Sora: 75% want, 25% prediction. He seems likely given the big talk around KH3 rn, but I'm not holding onto anything.
  2. Bandana Waddle Dee: He really seems like the most likely 1st party character left.
  3. Elma: Xenoblade is huge now, and I feel that Rex missed out if DLC was already planned from the start, which looks that way.
  4. Banjo or Steve: We're gonna get Microsoft content one way or another, and they seem like the most likely. Plus I love Banjo.
  5. ???: Honestly I think some kind of first party character. Maybe Dixie/Funky, a new Zelda rep, or Labo Man. Chorus Kids as well.
Pretty much, Nintendo would have to pay out to get the rights to use those characters, Ryu and Cloud are only here because Sakurai wanted them and Cloud is popular. Bayonetta is an odd case but given Bayo 2's exclusivity and their close relationship with platinum the deal was more beneficial than not. If it's all up to nintendo it makes far more sense for them to use characters that they own in order to satisy fan demand or promote upcoming games.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
First, I agree with Fatmanonice Fatmanonice . I think most of the DLC will be from more recent games. I'll add a list of characters as well, but before doing that, we need to look at what Nintendo actually does. Too many people see "Nintendo making the DLC. OK" and then proceed to make a list of Rayman, Steve and the Doomguy. There is a lot of assumptions about how Nintendo thinks, but let's see how they actually think

1) Nintendo Prioritizes Their Own Content or Non-Gaming Content - A great example of what I'm talking about is Super Mario Maker. The game has Mystery Mushrooms which turn Mario into different characters. Most of these are references to a ton of different Nintendo games. Of all of these, there are only a few third party costumes. This includes the three Smash amiibos (Sonic, Pac-Man and Megaman, the others don't have one) and the Felyne from Monster Hunter. However, Mario Maker also has the the host of GameCenter CX, Hello Kitty (two in fact), the GLA, Babymetal, Chitoge Kirisaki, characters from Corocoro and Famitsu (Magazines in Japan) and Shaun the Sheep. Splatoon is similar. While there are tons of promotional Splatfest, there was only one referencing another game company: a Japanese-Only one for Dragon Quest. Yet Japan has ones for food brands all the time. There have also been others for anime and in the US we had some for Spongebob and another for TMNT. Usually, if characters from other games appear in a Nintendo one, it was either made by another company (see Mario Hoops of Mario Kart Arcade) or it was a Smash amiibo.

2)Nintendo Sees Smash As a Way to Promote Their Own IPs - I want to show you something. This is from Nintendo's most recent investors briefing.
The Smash Bros. series titles are special to our company because it is the place where the characters of Nintendo's main titles come together. Many consumers discover Nintendo games they never knew about through the Smash Bros. series, so if Smash Bros. is spread wide across our consumer base, it will, by extension, also enhance the appeal of our overall IP.
This partially proves what Fatmanonice Fatmanonice was saying. Nintendo sees Smash as promoting their IPs. With them picking the characters, I expect they will again prioritize their own characters over guest characters and the characters will likely be tied to a recent game. Nintendo adds more characters (which people want) and they can further push their own titles. Its a win-win

With that in mind, here are my 5 picks:

Rex and Pyra - If you watch the Direct, you can kind of tell it was a big oops moment. Sakurai mentions that "Oh, see heres a Rex costume. Sorry we missed him. Oh, there is also music and Xenoblade spirits too. Don't be mad." Rex is actually a pretty popular character in Japan and over here as well. Thus the apology. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 likely exceeded Nintendo's expectations which prompted the costume. I think he's a prime candidate for Smash.

Magolor - Similar to Rex, Kirby characters are very popular over in Japan, and many feel the series is under represented. Magolor is some what of a fan favorite and its a character that has made multiple appearances in the series. He's also a Dream Friend in Kirby Star Allies. I'm mostly choosing him over Bandana Dee as there is more he could do that separates him from other characters and it's less polarizing than Dee. I think a lot of Dee's fans would still be happy and those who aren't big fans of Kirby can appreciate a unique and different character. It's also a bit of a surprise as people don't expect him.

Min Min - Same as Fatmanonice mentioned, its a newer series and it's actually requested to be in Smash. Min Min is one of the fan favorites of the series so while Spring Man is an assist, you can sub her in instead. She also has more to work with with her kicks and dragon arms. Other possibilities are Twintelle, Ribbon Girl, and Spring Man (with Springtron doing an Alfanso with the AT spot).

Excitebiker - This is the exception to the rule. While Nintendo may try and do recent characters, they also love to reference their past. If its not the NES Zappers in Splatoon, its Takamaru's Ninja Castle or Excitebike track in Mario Kart. Nintendo loves its past. Excitebike is one of the most popular NES games so its a perfect fit. Its even available as part of the NES classic

New Character from an Unseen IP - So here me out on this one. Nintendo has been making more IPs recently. Splatoon in 2015, ARMS in 2017, Dragalia Lost in 2018. Moreover, 2019 is poised to be a huge year as numerous teams are working on different games. Outside of Animal Crossing and another Mario Kart, most of Nintendo big games have been hit. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo has a brand new IP ready for 2019. And what better way to promote it by having a character in Smash. I expect this character would release at the very end around the end of 2019 or early 2020.

Honorable Mentions - Some other possibilities
  • Zelda Character - Nintendo loves Zelda and like Kirby there is a lot of demand for a new one.
  • Octopath Traveler - I don't think its right to totally rule out third parties. This is one Nintendo had a hand in so it makes some sense. Plus great music
  • Dragalia Lost MC - Same as a lot of the above. New character from a new game thats done rather well (BTW, I think his name is Elude? Might be wrong)
  • Bandana Dee - Basically take my Magalor argument and sub him back in.
  • Geno - Think it's possible as a heavy hitter. Gets people buying. Wont rule it out
  • Banjo-Kazooie - I'm saying this one as Nintendo may try and release an N64 Classic in 2019. If so, they'll need the licenses from Rare, so this is a no-brainier.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don't get what you mean by this. Care to elaborate??
A lot of people don't like Bandana Dee because they don't see him as interesting. Its the whole Hat Goomba thing. While he has a fan base, he also has a lot of people that don't like him mostly because they find him dull. Magalor solves a lot of the issues people have with Bandana Dee.

In fairness, I probably could have put him as an honorable mention.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
A lot of people don't like Bandana Dee because they don't see him as interesting. Its the whole Hat Goomba thing. While he has a fan base, he also has a lot of people that don't like him mostly because they find him dull. Magalor solves a lot of the issues people have with Bandana Dee.

I don't think Nintendo would really care that a small minority on the internet find him dull and uninteresting. You could say that about any character like Piranha Plant for existence but now they are a unique Smasher. If you want to see an idea you can look at the moveset I made on the Bandana Dee thread recently.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

Yet Bandanna Dee would introduce a moveset that haven't been seen in Smash yet: spears

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don't think Nintendo would really care that a small minority on the internet find him dull and uninteresting. You could say that about any character like Piranha Plant for existence but now they are a unique Smasher. If you want to see an idea you can look at the moveset I made on the Bandana Dee thread recently.
I wouldn't say its small. The Hat Goomba threads were pretty common on 4Chan and I hear a lot of Dee supporters bring it up. While yes, Piranha Plant is an out there character, Mario is a far bigger series so a random mook can be a star. Kirby doesn't have that as much. And Dee can have a very interesting moveset, but the people who dislike him don't do so for that reason. My argument comes down to this: Magolor fills the same role as Dee. Both are in Star Allies. Both are popular with the fanbase. Both are requested in Japan. But Magalor is a bit more interesting and doesn't have Dee's stigma.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I wouldn't say its small. The Hat Goomba threads were pretty common on 4Chan and I hear a lot of Dee supporters bring it up. While yes, Piranha Plant is an out there character, Mario is a far bigger series so a random mook can be a star. Kirby doesn't have that as much. And Dee can have a very interesting moveset, but the people who dislike him don't do so for that reason. My argument comes down to this: Magolor fills the same role as Dee. Both are in Star Allies. Both are popular with the fanbase. Both are requested in Japan. But Magalor is a bit more interesting and doesn't have Dee's stigma.
4Chan is mostly trolls anyway who hate on any character because it isn't their most wanted. Bandana Dee has a huge popularity in the West and Japan. I don't hear anyone really talk about Magolor anymore. Also they really seem to be pushing Dee in advertising and merch a lot more than Magolor. Bandana Dee has developed enough of a character where he is much more than a random mook. Just because he is the same species it doesn't mean anything.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
1. Geno
2. Shantae
3. Gen 8 Pokemon
4. Zelda character like one of the champions
5. Banjo and Kazooie

If we do get another Microsoft, I hope it is Master Chief, that would be the biggest character you could possibly put in Smash.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
4Chan is mostly trolls anyway who hate on any character because it isn't their most wanted. Bandana Dee has a huge popularity in the West and Japan. I don't hear anyone really talk about Magolor anymore. Also they really seem to be pushing Dee in advertising and merch a lot more than Magolor. Bandana Dee has developed enough of a character where he is much more than a random mook. Just because he is the same species it doesn't mean anything.
Rather than going back and forth on this, let me try and sum it up. If Magalor gets in, it wouldn't surprise me. If Dee gets it, it wouldn't surprise me either. It could go either way as, like I said, they do the same thing. I think it's easy to dismiss criticism like "Oh, these people are just trolls," but I can say that the Hat Goomba thing matters because I see a ton of Dee fans try to argue against it on Twitter (not saying I agree one way or another). They try to argue against it because its something people do see. Again, it's easier for Mario to get away with it because its Mario and it sells millions. Kirby doesn't. So when you are talking about Bandana Dee, I think your typical fan may find him more boring just based on design and, in part, abilities (not sure how much "he has a spear" adds). Regardless, it's tomato tommato in my eyes.

Magalor is just one character of the 5 I posted. My point was to try and highlight how Nintendo might think about this. The honorable mentions are there because in truth I can't tell the future so I have no way of knowing what they'll choose. For instance, you could replace Magolor or Dee with a Zelda character and it still works for the most part. I highlighted Kirby because its easier to pick out characters than Zelda.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
First, I agree with Fatmanonice Fatmanonice . I think most of the DLC will be from more recent games. I'll add a list of characters as well, but before doing that, we need to look at what Nintendo actually does. Too many people see "Nintendo making the DLC. OK" and then proceed to make a list of Rayman, Steve and the Doomguy. There is a lot of assumptions about how Nintendo thinks, but let's see how they actually think

1) Nintendo Prioritizes Their Own Content or Non-Gaming Content - A great example of what I'm talking about is Super Mario Maker. The game has Mystery Mushrooms which turn Mario into different characters. Most of these are references to a ton of different Nintendo games. Of all of these, there are only a few third party costumes. This includes the three Smash amiibos (Sonic, Pac-Man and Megaman, the others don't have one) and the Felyne from Monster Hunter. However, Mario Maker also has the the host of GameCenter CX, Hello Kitty (two in fact), the GLA, Babymetal, Chitoge Kirisaki, characters from Corocoro and Famitsu (Magazines in Japan) and Shaun the Sheep. Splatoon is similar. While there are tons of promotional Splatfest, there was only one referencing another game company: a Japanese-Only one for Dragon Quest. Yet Japan has ones for food brands all the time. There have also been others for anime and in the US we had some for Spongebob and another for TMNT. Usually, if characters from other games appear in a Nintendo one, it was either made by another company (see Mario Hoops of Mario Kart Arcade) or it was a Smash amiibo.

2)Nintendo Sees Smash As a Way to Promote Their Own IPs - I want to show you something. This is from Nintendo's most recent investors briefing.
The Smash Bros. series titles are special to our company because it is the place where the characters of Nintendo's main titles come together. Many consumers discover Nintendo games they never knew about through the Smash Bros. series, so if Smash Bros. is spread wide across our consumer base, it will, by extension, also enhance the appeal of our overall IP.
This partially proves what Fatmanonice Fatmanonice was saying. Nintendo sees Smash as promoting their IPs. With them picking the characters, I expect they will again prioritize their own characters over guest characters and the characters will likely be tied to a recent game. Nintendo adds more characters (which people want) and they can further push their own titles. Its a win-win

With that in mind, here are my 5 picks:

Rex and Pyra - If you watch the Direct, you can kind of tell it was a big oops moment. Sakurai mentions that "Oh, see heres a Rex costume. Sorry we missed him. Oh, there is also music and Xenoblade spirits too. Don't be mad." Rex is actually a pretty popular character in Japan and over here as well. Thus the apology. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 likely exceeded Nintendo's expectations which prompted the costume. I think he's a prime candidate for Smash.

Magolor - Similar to Rex, Kirby characters are very popular over in Japan, and many feel the series is under represented. Magolor is some what of a fan favorite and its a character that has made multiple appearances in the series. He's also a Dream Friend in Kirby Star Allies. I'm mostly choosing him over Bandana Dee as there is more he could do that separates him from other characters and it's less polarizing than Dee. I think a lot of Dee's fans would still be happy and those who aren't big fans of Kirby can appreciate a unique and different character. It's also a bit of a surprise as people don't expect him.

Min Min - Same as Fatmanonice mentioned, its a newer series and it's actually requested to be in Smash. Min Min is one of the fan favorites of the series so while Spring Man is an assist, you can sub her in instead. She also has more to work with with her kicks and dragon arms. Other possibilities are Twintelle, Ribbon Girl, and Spring Man (with Springtron doing an Alfanso with the AT spot).

Excitebiker - This is the exception to the rule. While Nintendo may try and do recent characters, they also love to reference their past. If its not the NES Zappers in Splatoon, its Takamaru's Ninja Castle or Excitebike track in Mario Kart. Nintendo loves its past. Excitebike is one of the most popular NES games so its a perfect fit. Its even available as part of the NES classic

New Character from an Unseen IP - So here me out on this one. Nintendo has been making more IPs recently. Splatoon in 2015, ARMS in 2017, Dragalia Lost in 2018. Moreover, 2019 is poised to be a huge year as numerous teams are working on different games. Outside of Animal Crossing and another Mario Kart, most of Nintendo big games have been hit. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo has a brand new IP ready for 2019. And what better way to promote it by having a character in Smash. I expect this character would release at the very end around the end of 2019 or early 2020.

Honorable Mentions - Some other possibilities
  • Zelda Character - Nintendo loves Zelda and like Kirby there is a lot of demand for a new one. Nintendo also loves Zelda
  • Octopath Traveler - I don't think its right to totally rule out third parties. This is one Nintendo had a hand in so it makes some sense. Plus great music
  • Dragalia Lost MC - Same as a lot of the above. New character from a new game thats done rather well (BTW, I think his name is Elude? Might be wrong)
  • Bandana Dee - Basically take my Magalor argument and sub him back in.
  • Geno - Think it's possible as a heavy hitter. Gets people buying. Wont rule it out
  • Banjo-Kazooie - I'm saying this one as Nintendo may try and release an N64 Classic in 2019. If so, they'll need the licenses from Rare, so this is a no-brainier.
How the heck isn't Dixie Kong on this list? But Banjo & Kazooie are? I'm sorry but people put too much stock into an N64 classic. Something we have no idea exists! I doubt Nintendo will partner with Microsoft to bring a character in Smash. Yes Minecraft is on Switch but it's also on everything else. I'm sure it's coming to my toaster next week. Yes they were buddy-buddy with crossplay but now Sony has jumped on board as well (at least with Fortnite) and it was all just a marketing ploy to throw some shade at Sony (the current console leader at the moment).

But you know what does exist? DKC: Tropical Freeze that just got a Switch port a few months back. Guess who's in that game? Dixie Kong? We still don't know what Retro is working on. I'm placing bets it's another DKC game considering were about due for a new one. DKCR came out in 2010, 3DS port came out in 2013, Tropical Freeze came out in 2014, Switch port came out in 2018. Seeing a pattern here? We haven't heard from Retro in 4 years now (going on 5) and when Nintendo released Tropical Freeze port they kept saying "Franchise's DEBUT on Switch" hinting that another game is coming same with Reggie when he mentioned Switch getting new "Metroid and Donkey Kong experiences" right before Prime 4 was announced. So to see Dixie not even as an "honorable mention" is a huge slap in the face.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
How the heck isn't Dixie Kong on this list? But Banjo & Kazooie are? I'm sorry but people put too much stock into an N64 classic. Something we have no idea exists! I doubt Nintendo will partner with Microsoft to bring a character in Smash. Yes Minecraft is on Switch but it's also on everything else. I'm sure it's coming to my toaster next week. Yes they were buddy-buddy with crossplay but now Sony has jumped on board as well (at least with Fortnite) and it was all just a marketing ploy to throw some shade at Sony (the current console leader at the moment).

But you know what does exist? DKC: Tropical Freeze that just got a Switch port a few months back. Guess who's in that game? Dixie Kong? We still don't know what Retro is working on. I'm placing bets it's another DKC game considering were about due for a new one. DKCR came out in 2010, 3DS port came out in 2013, Tropical Freeze came out in 2014, Switch port came out in 2018. Seeing a pattern here? We haven't heard from Retro in 4 years now (going on 5) and when Nintendo released Tropical Freeze port they kept saying "Franchise's DEBUT on Switch" hinting that another game is coming same with Reggie when he mentioned Switch getting new "Metroid and Donkey Kong experiences" right before Prime 4 was announced. So to see Dixie not even as an "honorable mention" is a huge slap in the face.
Well, neither of them are on the list as Banjo is an honorable mention. I was putting characters I could reasonably see but may not happen. In Banjo's case, I could see him pushing DLC. It would make sense if Nintendo is already getting the rights to Rare games for an N64 classic so it would be a golden opportunity if that was the case. I could see the same for Kirby and Zelda pushing DLC as both are popular series with pent up demand. I can't see it for Dixie. I know a lot of DK fans like her, but for Smash she has never been exceptionally popular. Even for this game, people were suggesting her as an echo fighter rather than a full character.

If I'm going to be honest, you are putting way to much faith into her. I listed the characters I did because they are popular in their own right and are tied to a Switch game. I could see ARMS because there is a contingent of fans that want ARMS characters in Smash. There are people who want Zelda and Kirby characters (and they basically are making Kirby Ultimate which helps). XC2 is very popular. And yes, Tropical Freeze has done well, but it's a Wii U port and your talking about a character that isn't that popular already. While I was just arguing against Bandana Dee, I can safely say more people want him over Dixie. Bandana Dee has a better chance of getting people to buy the DLC than Dixie. Same for ARMS. Same for Rex.

As for the N64 Classic, you may be right, but there are rumors that one may very well happen. It's very possible as the Classic line has done very well for Nintendo. Though, you say people are putting too much faith into that but Retro is totally doing another DKC game? Maybe wait until thats confirmed first.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Well, neither of them are on the list as Banjo is an honorable mention. I was putting characters I could reasonably see but may not happen. In Banjo's case, I could see him pushing DLC. It would make sense if Nintendo is already getting the rights to Rare games for an N64 classic so it would be a golden opportunity if that was the case. I could see the same for Kirby and Zelda pushing DLC as both are popular series with pent up demand. I can't see it for Dixie. I know a lot of DK fans like her, but for Smash she has never been exceptionally popular. Even for this game, people were suggesting her as an echo fighter rather than a full character.

If I'm going to be honest, you are putting way to much faith into her. I listed the characters I did because they are popular in their own right and are tied to a Switch game. I could see ARMS because there is a contingent of fans that want ARMS characters in Smash. There are people who want Zelda and Kirby characters (and they basically are making Kirby Ultimate which helps). XC2 is very popular. And yes, Tropical Freeze has done well, but it's a Wii U port and your talking about a character that isn't that popular already. While I was just arguing against Bandana Dee, I can safely say more people want him over Dixie. Bandana Dee has a better chance of getting people to buy the DLC than Dixie. Same for ARMS. Same for Rex.

As for the N64 Classic, you may be right, but there are rumors that one may very well happen. It's very possible as the Classic line has done very well for Nintendo. Though, you say people are putting too much faith into that but Retro is totally doing another DKC game? Maybe wait until thats confirmed first.
People keep saying "They need the Rare license for the N64 classic" except no they really don't. The N64 classic probably won't get more than like 15 games on it. I could name a bunch of games that could be on the classic without Rare's permission.

1. Super Mario 64
2. Star Fox 64
3. Mario Party
4. Mario Party 2
5. Mario Party 3
6. Super Smash Bros.
7. Zelda: Ocarina of Time
8. Zelda: Majora's Mask
9. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
10. Donkey Kong 64
11. Mario Kart 64
12. F-Zero X
13. Paper Mario
14. Dr. Mario 64
15. Pokemon Snap
16. Mario Tennis
17. Mario Golf
18. Pokemon Puzzle League
19. Yoshi's Story
20. Animal Forest (JPN release)

Plus a few 3rd party games from like Capcom and Konami. Just saying people grasp at straws with Banjo. Dixie Kong is a pretty popular choice she should AT LEAST be in consideration and yes while ignorant people who don't know Dixie's character AT ALL suggested her as an echo during speculation it was mostly due to people saying "DK can't possibly get 2 full newcomers in the base game" and while obviously they were right and while Dixie isn't as popular as other characters you mentioned she still is popular and while K.Rool was definitely a big get for us, the DK roster still isn't fully complete until we get Dixie. Donkey Kong is Nintendo's 5th best selling franchise for us to constantly have to wait every other Smash game for a new DK character is just sad.

I'm tired of the argument of "They need hype characters to buy DLC" most people are gonna buy the DLC regardless of who is added simply because it's Smash Bros. Nintendo knows this that's why they are selling the Fighter Pass a year in advance with no information on characters because they know people are suckers and will just give Nintendo money because it's Smash Bros. I mean we got :ultpiranha: for christ sake as an incentive to pre-order early. Apparently according to the eshop he worked as Smash Bros immediately became #1 on the eshop and has stayed there. Hell the bundle pack is in there as well so clearly a LOT of people already bought the DLC. So don't give me that crap that a character has to be high on a fan poll to sell.

D

Deleted member

Let's go then.

Preductions

Geno: I want to think the Sqaure Enix rep is him. I have faith it will be. But who knows at this point. Plus he has long been requested and Masahiro Sakurai has stated he wants him in. So he has backing now is his moment.

Steve: I want to think a Microsoft rep could be Banjo-Kazooie but I think it'll be this guy. He'll be fun I've come to terms with his inclusion. Masahiro Sakurai and team made Wii Fit Trainer and Piranha Plant work. This guy they could too I have full faith in them. But dang I want to hear gah-huh in an unveil trailer.

Katalina: I have not much information about Gran Blue Fabtasy nor know much. Seems like a strategy RPG, seems like she'll get in we'll see.

Bandana Dee: Wasn't deconfirmed in the last Direct could happen hope so. He deserves it!

Heihachi: Tekken's main flagship character. We got Ryu and Ken from Street Fighter why not him.

Honorable Mentions

Sora

Banjo-Kazooie

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Etika (Just kidding ignore that.) I mean A Monster Hunter rep

Skull Kid

I know Nintendo chose some characters, and Masahiro Sakurai and team are working too see if they. Can make inclusions based off that so we 'll see.

But this is my list.

Doubt half of it will be the actual characters we will see!

Top Bottom