• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Favorite Guitarist, Bassist, Vocalist, Keyboardist, Accordianist, etc" Thread

NG7

Smash Lord
Indeed. I do like the strat better. But it's still EJ :)

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
...Vocalist: Neil Young and Paul McCartney (and Roger Daltrey for the harder bits): I love Neil Young's voice. It really hits close to home. It's like the spirit of America entering your mind and providing you with the visions that Young has carefully crafted with his lyrics...

This is hilarious. I hope you realize Neil Young is Canadian, right? But with that said, I do greatly enjoy his music, especially with Crazy Horse behind him.

Oh, and my favorite guitarist? Probably Robert Johnson. Kind of a cop out, but whatever. I also really like the alternate tunings that Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo from Sonic Youth use to make all sorts of beautiful dissonance.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!

This is hilarious. I hope you realize Neil Young is Canadian, right? But with that said, I do greatly enjoy his music, especially with Crazy Horse behind him.

Oh, and my favorite guitarist? Probably Robert Johnson. Kind of a cop out, but whatever. I also really like the alternate tunings that Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo from Sonic Youth use to make all sorts of beautiful dissonance.
It doesn't mean he can't sing with an American soul. The band America barely spent any time in America before they formed the band. The name was a reference to the home they could never really see.

Young just sounds right, and embodies everything about my country. He may be Canadian, but hey, whatever. It still sounds American.

He may have picked it up from CSN (who I think are American. I don't know anymore:laugh:).

Sandy

Smash Champion
Favorite Drummer: Bob Bryar

Wikipeda said:
During the making of MCR's music video for Famous Last Words, Bob received third degree burns from the fire torches used to ignite the set behind him. Though he was coated with a fire protector on his back, his leg was severely damaged. However, he finished the video, but later entered up at the hospital where he was treated for his burns. It was to have been said that Bryar tried to escape a few times in order to return to the tour, but he was healed soon enough.
He went "through the fire and flames" so to speak.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero

Even so, you can't deny that along with his country influences, he has also quoted Americana and Folk as major influences, as evident by his music.

Dave the Perspicacious

Smash Journeyman
Shouldn't be too hard, except for the guitarist - so many!

Guitarist: Paul Gilbert!
(Followed by John Petrucci. Michael Romeo, Robert Marcello, Steve Vai, Shawn Lane, Joe Satriani, Buckethead, Eric Johnson, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, etc.)
- Paul is not just an amazing guitarist, with flawless picking and technique, he's just a plain out awesome guy. The man's talented , has a great musical sense, is funny and inspiring.

Bassist: Billy Sheehan?
-That duel between Paul Gilbert and Billy Sheehan, is just =O Youtube it.

Vocalist: Russell Allen
- Such a versatile vocalist, who can sing beautifully, or really bring out a dark tonality and shape in his voice. Incredible talent.

Keyboardist: Jordan Rudess
- Jordan is just too amazing on keys. Seriously, no talk, go youtube him!.

Drummer: Mike Portnoy!
- Do I honestly have to say anything about him? Really? I don't think it's necessary personally. Simply INCREDIBLE! End of.

EDIT: Guys from bands I know and like, I could very well list other instruments, and styles, with players of equal or greater talents, but that would just be too difficult for me.

Dave

CHUK

Smash Ace
Guitarist - Buckethead
I own nearly all of his albums. He is rediculous... His style varies extremely different from album to album. Best technical skill.
Vox - Very hard one. Maybe Layne Staley. Rediculous style and range but this is a hard one.
Bassist - Les Claypool. Pure rediculousness skill and riffs, some sick slapping and chuggin.
Drummer - Danny Carey. Sick tribal drums and really leads alot of the songs in Tool.

afterlife

Smash Rookie
guitar effect...

(I KNOW THIS IS THE WRONG THREAD BUT THIS IS THE CLOSEST ONE I COULD FIND)
now that that's over...
I've been looking everywhere for a certain guitar effect and i have a song with the effect on it, but I don't know what the effect is. (make sense?) Does anyone know if there's a program or something that can find the effect I'm looking for? thank you!

EDIT:I forgot to tell you the song! The song name is "The War" and the artist is "Angels and Airwaves"

Sieged Eagle

Smash Cadet
In a small, unobstrusive office hidden beneath Len
Well, here is my list with the runner-ups...

Guitarist: Buckethead. No one can play guitar like that, it's godly. Buckethead has changed too many lives with his style, showing that music can transfer many feelings and messages. Runner-up is Slash.

Vocalist: Jack Black. He has a nice singing style that has given The D a very identificative signature, showing how vocals can be fun to sing instead of being taken to seriously. Just check his Tribute video on the 'tube. Runner-up is James Hetfield.

Bassist: Les Claypool. Best bassist out there, and that is the reason why I still listen to Primus. The way he plays the bass is simply great. Runner-up is undecided.

Drummer: Lars Ulrich. In the past, he was the drumming hero. Now he isn't as great as before, but I am the one kind who prefers their classic stuff over their new stuff. Runner-up is undecided.

Dave the Perspicacious

Smash Journeyman
Please don't state that so and so guitarist (or any other musician) is the best. It's simply not true, only your opinion. It really annoys me when people do that.

Trust me... you can't say who is really the best. Impossible, although if it's just opinion - that's perfectly cool ^_^

EDIT: Sorry, I probably read too much into it, I just wish more people used "IMO" xD

EDIT2: How did I forget Yngwie in my list of guitarists - that ain't right. The man got me into playing neo-classical stuff.

Dave

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
Alright, I saw Les Claypool and Victor Wooten (both with their solo bands) within 2 weeks of each other last month, so I can finally rest the debate. Wooten was amazing and did a lot of awesome technical stuff, but I've got to say I had a better time at the Claypool concert.
With Claypool, not only was he pumping out crazy morphing basslines and vocals, but there were psychotic dudes playing the hell out of a xyliphone and drums. The experience was truly unique.
Also, he changed personas like 4 times during the concert, even getting out the legendary pig mask and playing his bass with a bow.

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
Guitarist- Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine, for making the most gorgeous, shimmering guitar sounds ever heard.. 2nd place to Ed O Brien/Jonny Greenwood/Radiohead guitar section.
Vox- Thom Yorke / Karen O from Yeah Yeah Yeahs. both excellent in their own ways. Although Karen O is more attractive.=)
Bass- Les Claypool / Chris Wolstenholme Claypool is obviously better, but I love both for their intricate basslines, muchos imagination. Masters of their art.
Drums- John Stanier from Battles, formerly the drummer from Helmet, the different rythmes and time signatures on Battles' Mirrored album are, quite simply,stunning. Stunning band as a whole. Danny Carey is pretty savage too though:bee:

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Vocals - Corey Taylor from Slipknot/Stone Sour, and Andrea Bocheli(sp?)
Guitarist - Dude from Soilwork, Slash, Steve Vai, and of course, el maestro; Michael Angelo Batio.
Bassist - Skinny guy from Mudvayne
Drummer - Joey Jordison, and the guy from Cradle of Filth. Also, Dave Chavarri.

Favorite music composers overall = Sulley(Godsmack), Dave Mustaine(Megadeth) in terms of success rate.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Vocals

Jeremy Enigk-Enigk's voice has always been the thing that's stood out to me on Sunny Day Real Estate albums. Especially later recording and the pretty much SDRE 2.0 of The Fire Theft. He's got a great range. And a lot of songs he just draws me in with just his voice alone.

Mark Lanegan-The best thing about Screaming Trees is that it got Lanegan recognized enough to have a solo career and an incredible collaborative album with Isobel Campbell of the equally amazing band Belle & Sebastian. Also, pretty much every song he's done for Queens of the Stone Age ranks among their best.

Corin Tucker-When first listening to Sleater-Kinney, it's almost hard to get used to the vocals. But after a long Sleater-Kinney binge her voice started to grow on me. Frequent vibrato and a kind of operatic grandeur mixes perfectly with the band's brand of often chaotic hard rock.

Drums

Greg Saunier-Maybe I'm just too big a Deerhoof fan, but I think Saunier's a great drummer. He's got a very frenetic, energetic "seizure-style" to his drum playing. And instead of coming off as terribly ineffective self-indulgence it only adds to the noisy, deconstructionist nature of many Deerhoof songs.

Ginger Baker-All three of the musicians of Cream deserve to be listed among the best musicians in their respective instruments. But one thing I may love even more than Cream is Baker's joining with desert rock band Masters of Reality some 30 years later to rock just as hard on Sunrise on the Sufferbus.

Neil Peart-My favorite thing about Rush has always been the rhythm section. I find myself focusing more on the drums and bass than the guitar. Pretty much always. Neil Peart is pretty well-regarded as a big talent anyway.

John Bonham-Another duh addition. Already mentioned by tons anyway, just like Baker and Peart, moving on.

Keith Moon-Duh again. I felt like I shouldn't leave him out after mentioning the first three.

Jimmy Chamberlin-Chamberlin's drumming combined with the overall guitar sound of Smashing Pumpkins is why I like them. And for the longest time I didn't pay any attention to them. I guess I wised up.

Bass

Geddy Lee-My favorite thing about Rush is still the rhythm section. Though not quite as idolized as Neil Peart, I think Lee's a very notable bassist.

Nick Oliveri-I'm still sad that he got kicked out of Queens of the Stone Age. The last awesome musician to be pushed out of that band (well, I guess Mark Lanegan's not really completely out of the band really...). Now all that's left is Josh Homme. Still, Mondo Generator is just going to have to do.

Guitar (I should preface this by saying I generally care little for guitar. Guitar solos are not something I generally am all that interested in as well.)

Chuck Berry-The fact that nobody has mentioned him yet is pretty jaw-dropping. I guess this addition is mostly due to the fact that in modern rock I care so little about the overall skill of the guitar player. To me, in more modern rock the guitar just needs to drop a nice riff and I'm just more interested in the overall rhythm and the general cohesiveness of the band. But Chuck Berry is an artist who's music is carried by his skilled guitar playing. Chuck Berry's guitar basically built rock n' roll as we know it, I think we should be thankful for that a little bit.

Billy Corgan-Just for creating the guitar driven sound of Smashing Pumpkins I became so addicted to. An alt-rock band that I think is much more heavily reliant on their guitars than anything else.

Oh ya, and the best overall band is The Band. It's ironic that they are sometimes known as "Bob Dylan's former back up band" because I think their music eclipses Dylan's.

GOTM

Smash Champion
I figured I would come back here and post my favorites again since I think some of them have changed, plus I don't think I made a full list the first time around.

Favorite Guitarist: Stevie Ray Vaughan
Might sound cliche but...he played with his soul, not his brain. If he was still alive I think music would be a lot different today. One of the best guitarists in history.

Favorite Vocalist: Robert Plant
The range of his voice and his distinct rock and roll sound classify him as probably the best rock front man ever. His only competition being Freddie Mercury IMO.

Favorite Drummer: John Bonham
Too good. Without him, Zeppelin would be no where near as good. NO WHERE.

Favorite Bassist: John Entwistle
Not many people can argue with this one. Probably the best rock bassist in history and also the most influential. Could play bass solo and still sound amazing.

Favorite Musician: John Lennon
Not only was his music catchy, and amazing, his lyrics were deep, important, and his values were/are what everyones should be.

Favorite Keyboard/Piano: Freddie Mercury
Not only was he probably the 2nd best frontman in rock history, his song writing ability on the piano was insane. Listen to "Somebody to Love" and then try and debate this :)

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
Favorite Drummer:Neil Peart
Eat it Bonham & Moon. I'd say that Buddy Rich is better, but Peart wold still be my favorite... and Chester Cheetah would agree with me.

Favorite Metal Drummer: Brann Dailor
Listen to Mastodon, he is amazing.

Favorite bassist: Steve Harris
He is just my ideal Bass player. He isn't over the top like Les Claypool ... I just know how to describe it. It could just be Iron Maiden fan boy-ier. His playing just seems to always compliment the songs perfectly.

Favorite Vocalist: Layne Staley
He was so refreshing and stood out from the grunge scene. I don't like Eddy Vedder, he is a cool guy but I don't particulary like Pearl Jam or his singing. Chris Cornell is also amazing. There was just something special with Layne and many have tried to emulate it, but there was only one Layne.
Throw in the harmonizing with Jerry Cantrell and you just get some of the most powerful and haunting vocals.

Favorite Guitarist: Don't make me pick!
Angus Young would have to be my favorite performer/personality as a guitar player. His stuff is simple, but so memorable and he always puts on a great show. His solos and every are also so full of energy.
Randy Rhoads was so influential for the short period of time that he was around. He sort of brought guitar playing to a different level. I just have to mention him.
My last favorite would probably be Dimebag Darrel. He could shred with the best of em. So many amazing riffs and solos. I don't know much about music theory beyond egbdf (face), but I know what I like and I can tell when I'm hearing someone that is extremly talented.

Favorite Keyboard/Piano: Geddy Lee
Um, it isn't really a heavily used instrument in the music I listen to... so I'm going with Geddy because he does so many things at once and does them all very well. Or maybe I should go with the guy that performs the intro to Mr. Crowley. Freddy Mercury & Zakk Wylde both seem to be good too.

Favorite Frontman: Bon Scott
Not really an instrument, but Bon Scott was the man. Freddy Mercury was awesome and both of them had untimely deaths, but I still put Bon above of him. Not as flashy or theatric as a lot of frontmen, but he would get audience energized like no other (or well with some help from Angus).

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
my fav guitarist/song writer is Stephen Malkmus when in pavment his solo stuff is still great he is the "King of Indie Rock" without him most rock music today would sound very diffrent he is a unsung hero of music since most people have never heard of him but i guess if every one had heard of him he would no longer be indie would he

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Vox:

Russell Allen (Symphony X). He is amazing. Just great. My second pick being Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden).

Guitar: Best? I'd have to say Hendrix. I hate his music, but he's good. Favorite? Michael Romeo (Symphony X), he's really good.

Drummer: Neil Peart. No explanation needed?

Bass: Flea. That's right, from RHCP. He had more influence in their songs than the lead guitarist. That's pretty good.

Cowbell: That guy from Blue Oyster Colt.

BlargCow

Smash Journeyman
Vocalist - Brad Delp or Sting

Drummer - Mick Tucker

Too lazy too explain.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Vocalist: Mike Patton, without a doubt. He's not just a singer, he's a master of the larynx. The range of sounds that can come out of that guy's throat are ENDLESS, but as a singer, he's a magician, pulling off any and all styles of singing, jumping around within even a single song (check out some of Mr. Bungle's stuff). Runner-up: David Bowie.

Guitarist: This is difficult. Buckethead is amazing, honestly, he was built for the guitar the guitar was built for him. He pulls off the most insane **** on that guitar. However, I'm going to have to give my personal favorite guitarist award to good ol' Dean Ween. He may not play as articulately as Buckethead, but he certainly puts out far more power, and that reaches you (go see Ween, you'll know what I'm talking about). Runner-up: Buckethead.

Bassist: Easy. Les Claypool. I've seen him three times live, twice with his solo band and once with Primus. His bass playing rumbles my diesel any day. Runner-up: Trevor Dunn.

Drummer/Percussionist: Claude Coleman Jr. Yes, another Ween member, but he has also released numerous solo albums, lately under the title Amandla, where he plays everything perfectly. As a drummer, a singer, and a guitarist, I salute Claude. Runner-up: Tim Alexander.

Saxophonist: Skerik (Eric Walton). His work with Claypool is unmatched. A Sax player who fills in for the "guitarist" spot is a winner, and this guy goes far over the top. Donning a devil's mask, this guy rips his lungs up to blow fire from his sax.

DARKALONDITE

Smash Apprentice
Guitarist-Joe Perry, Jimmy Paige, George Thoroughgood

Bassist-Duff MCKagan, Flea

Vocalist-Jon Fogerty (this guy brings back so many memories), Steven Tyler( nuff' said)

Drummer-Steven Adler (don't care that he's a druggy)

JediKnightLuigi

Smash Apprentice
Guitarist: Doug Martsch, built to spill. Jonny Greenwood is up there too.

Vocalist: Till Lindemann, rammstein

Bassist: Eric Judy, modest mouse
Double Bassist: Brian Bromberg

Drummer: Phil Selway, radiohead. Everything he plays is so simple, yet nostalgic for me, i dont know why! Rush's drummer Neal Peart is also phenominal.

Keyboardist: Horse the Band's nintendo-sounding master, Erik Engstrom.

Top Bottom