• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fanbases of Each Series

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Would it be okay to talk about the fandons/fanbases of each series here? How they feel about their respective series and how its represented in SSB.

I have heard one series has a fandom worse that others.

I want to hear and learn more about the fandom, as I feel it might be important/relevant to SSB4, or Smash in general.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
I'm a very big EarthBound/Mother fan, and I think the series is well represented in SSB. I think Ness was the least known character in SSB, and Lucas' inclusion in SSBB was also unexpected. And I will be fine if the series doesn't get any more characters, EarthBound/Mother is a dead series.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I wonder what fanbase cares the MOST about their inclusion in SSB. I think it's probably Mother, F-Zero or Star Fox, since SSB is usually the only place they show up these days.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Sonic, Mario and spin-off universes (duh), Pokemon...I think that's it for me.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
As one of the new legions of Kid Icarus fans spawned by Uprising, I'd like to see another Kid Icarus rep added. Obviously it would be Palutena (or Hades at a long stretch) but I would prefer Pyrrhon or Phosphora. Although I'd love a heap of Kid Icarus characters I think two is fair, especially since there are no plans for another KI game any time in the near future.

Also a big Star Fox fan, but with no new titles since Brawl I'd say 3 reps remains enough.

My Zelda preference is for the Great Sea Trilogy, so I'd be pretty pleased to see Tetra join in. But as long as Toon Link stays and is renamed something less ridiculous I'll be happy.

Donkey Kong - must have King K.Rool. I'd also like Dixie but 4 reps might be a bit much. Depends entirely on the final roster size in my opinion.

Don't think I really have to worry about Pokemon.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
As a Kid Icarus Uprising fan, I would like at least to have both Pit and Palutena as playable, with Pit getting a full-fledged Dark Pit set of colors with voice swap.

Also, lots of music from the game would be welcome. That game's soundtrack was godly (no pun intended, but then again,it's Kid Icarus we're talking about...).

The cherry on top of the cake would have Pit and other eventual KI characters have a easter egg like the Star Fox characters and Snake, by having conversations. Would really like to have Hades make another appearence, since he's one of my favorite characters ever.

I would also like more Fire Emblem characters. I liked Radiant Dawn and I am planning to get Awakening when it comes out here. If the GBA games eventually have VC releases, it would be really nice.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
I'd rather have Magnus. He's a dude and I'm not gay but that is one sexy mother****er.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Rather not have Magnus because he isn't important in the franchise

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
I know, but I think he'd be the best addition because he's the only one we've seen who fought aside from DP and Pyron, who's even less important.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Personally I was always the person that went for the more underground franchises out there because I've enjoyed them and hope that other people can enjoy them too.

I personally want Starfy because I feel as though the character can work and be likable. I was personally disappointed when the really crap assist trophy came in instead and insulted me essentially, but I still have that sense of hope even if it doesn't come true.

I would also like more Kid Icarus content in general, notably the addition of Palutena and the smash taunt idea implemented.

Takamaru is more of because I can see the serious potential of a revival that would be handled by Platinum Games, but also because I simply love games with a Japanese aesthetic like Okami.

King K. Rool because I want more Donkey Kong related content in general, and probably a homage to one of my favorite companies Rare.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Also, I'd like to note I got into Mother because of Smash. I know I'm not the only person to do that.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Would be epic if Banjo and Kazooie somehow managed to rear their currently third party heads in Smash Bros somewhere. And while I'm on 3rd parties, MEGAMAN!

As for actual nintendo franchises yet to be represented, I really would like for
Chibi-Robo to make an appearance.

Isa Jo because I have played some of Sin & Punishment Star Successor and have loved it so far. Interesting character with a lot of move-set potential in a series that is pretty different.

Micaiah because I am really getting into Fire Emblem and her game was one of the first ones I tried out, and really got into. She is an interesting character that is new and different.

Ghirahim because I love the Zelda series and Skyward Sword was great, kept me interested throughout majority of the game. Especially for characters like Ghirahim and Groose. Both of them playing such a big part in it. On top of that, crazy characters like Ghirahim are cool.

Little Mac because I quite enjoy the Punchout series and he just fits so well, on top of being legendary.

2nd Gen Pokemon Trainer because I am a fan of Pokemon and really do like Gen 2. It is a really liked Gen and it returned.

Shulk because I am really loving Xenoblade, it is such a great game and he is such a great character.

Mega-Man because I love the series. I grew up with Mega-Man (for the most part) and enjoyed what I have played. Namely the original and X games, alongside what I have played of the Legends series. Want to play more that I haven't even got into yet.

Travis Touchdown because No More Heroes was just so interesting and different. He is a character I can relate a lot to as well. He loves anime, wrestling, and video games just like I do. Plus the beam katana is awesome and brings me into memories of growing up with Star Wars.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Been a fan of Fire Emblem, F-Zero, Pokemon as well as Kid Icarus: Uprising.

As for who I want to see in from the franchises above includes either Chrom, Lyn or Roy, Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow, Jody Summers, Palutena & a new Pokemon Trainer.

D

Deleted member

I'm a very big EarthBound/Mother fan, and I think the series is well represented in SSB. I think Ness was the least known character in SSB, and Lucas' inclusion in SSBB was also unexpected. And I will be fine if the series doesn't get any more characters, EarthBound/Mother is a dead series.
How would you feel if Lucas got cut, some of his moves were added to Ness to make him a better character, and he became an Alt. Costume for Ness? Just wondering.

Anyway, I'm a fan of Fire Emblem, and Zelda. I would honestly want more FE reps, but as long as the game is balanced I don't care much about who gets in or who doesn't.

My most wanted is Lyn, but she's not likely to get it. That aside, as I said, roster balance is the most important. So I want many characters from new and unique franchises Sin and Punishment, Xenoblade, female reps like Palutena, Villains over sidekicks, Wolf over Falco, and a Pokemon Roster limited to 5 slots. Diversity rules over everything else with me. Anyway, I feel this is more for the character general but whatever.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
The thing with Lucas and Ness is that they are only about 40% clone to each other. They are more different than they are alike. With say, a different final smash and a new special they'd be around Wolf status to each other.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I wouldnt feel a thing if Ike/Toon Link/Lucario/Lucas.

Got Cut.. because.

#1 I dont care for those chars anyway.

#2 Who ever replaces them will be worth it.

:phone:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
1. some people care.
2. there's no such thing as a character replacement unless explicitely stated by the developers.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
it's called scrapped, not replaced. Mewtwo and Roy were intended both to appear in Brawl alongside Lucario and Ike. time constraints, however, didn't allow it to happen.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Remember though, that the newer characters did get priority in the end. That could very well happen in Smash 4 again.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
As this Mewtwo and Roy thing goes deeper everyday on all threads..its mentioned in some way..

I have come to the conclusion imo i just..seriously think no one from melee is coming back..

FE Will Either be like
Marth/NEW
Marth/Ike
Marth/Ike/NEW

Pokemon:
Pika
Jiggs
PT
Lucario/NEW
NEW

And If anyone was to get cut/replaces from brawl it be imo
T-Link
Ike
Falco (kinda crazy huh? Wolf should stay)
PT
Lucario

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
How would you feel if Lucas got cut, some of his moves were added to Ness to make him a better character, and he became an Alt. Costume for Ness? Just wondering.
I think it would be a horrible idea, why mashing two different mostly-unique characters? I don't think it will work, most people just dislike Lucas and want him out because of showing fear in the SSE, without even knowing Mother 3's plot.

The thing with Lucas and Ness is that they are only about 40% clone to each other. They are more different than they are alike. With say, a different final smash and a new special they'd be around Wolf status to each other.
Yeah, Ness' final smash should be PK Rockin' and Lucas' PK Love. I still don't know why Sakurai chose PK Starstorm instead. They don't even learn that move in their own games.

#2 Who ever replaces them will be worth it.
Not in everybody's eyes

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
So, what about the fanbases themselves. I have heard some were much worse than others.

The Starfox fanbase is considered half as bad as the Sonic fanbase.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
As a general rule, every fanbase is terrible in a sense.

Specifically speaking regarding to Star Fox, it essentially suffers from a nasty case of a broken base due to the controversial quality of the games starting with Star Fox Adventures. There is also, not surprisingly, the freaky furries. The Star Fox fanbase is basically suffering the same problem as the Sonic fanbase, but more underground.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
Most Suffering Fanbases:
Starfox (last game not counting SF64 3D: 2006)
F-Zero (last game: 2004)
Mother (last game: 2006 in JPN, 1995 in USA. Cancellation of EarthBound 64)

Least Suffering Fanbases:
Mario (multiple games released each year)
Zelda (GREAT GAMES)
Pokemon (games released every year)

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
As a general rule, every fanbase is terrible in a sense.

Specifically speaking regarding to Star Fox, it essentially suffers from a nasty case of a broken base due to the controversial quality of the games starting with Star Fox Adventures. There is also, not surprisingly, the freaky furries. The Star Fox fanbase is basically suffering the same problem as the Sonic fanbase, but more underground.
I agree. I think another key problem with a number of fanbases is a very vocal sub-section demanding that Nintendo only make a new version of their favourite title. Particularly apparent in Star Fox (64/Lylat Wars) and Zelda (Ocarina of Time), where some people just can't let go of nostalgia. Very frustrating in the case of the Zelda series because taking out the major impact Ocarina had when it was released, it struggles to stand toe to toe with its successors on objective ground.

Similarly Star Fox 64 is short, repetitive, and a lot of its charm comes from its dodgy voice acting and script. It's hardly a masterpiece, but it's fun, and gets a lot of bonus points from nostalgia. Assault is a lot tighter but is totally linear, and Command went too far in the opposite direction, becoming a humourless maelstrom of conflicting storylines that end the series and confuse the hell out the fanbase.

Pokemon gets it bad too. Despite the newer titles being of unquestionably superior quality, you still get idiots spouting nonsense like "in my day there were only 151 Pokemon" as if that actually means something.

It's the sort of nonsense that makes me somewhat glad they aren't actively planning any sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising, as much as I would love one.

I'm not going to talk about furries. They're going to crop up in anything with non-human characters.

Interestingly the Smash fanbase doesn't seem to fall into nostalgia in the same way that other groups do - the complaints here are a lot more specific and connected to appreciable changes like gameplay mechanics and characters. You very rarely hear the ridiculous "for its time" argument here. That's not to say that none of the arguments are ridiculous, of course...

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Hmm, what I have seen from the other fandoms...

Super Mario Bros: They seem mellow compared to to the others. They don't care that much about how the localization is as log as the game in legally out to their country. They may nip-tic about characters and plot here and there, but all in all, the gameplay matters.

What they want for SSB4: They know Toad and BJ are more relevant, so they expect them. Though some want Geno, Waluigi, & Daisy.

Donkey Kong Country: They really care that much about the series' lore, as well as anything else from Rare(before/during their downfall). Though, they take some things way too serious, as well as other video game series(majority Mario).

What they want for SSB4: They want King K. Rool. Then, Dixie Kong.

The Legend of Zelda: Often debate which 3D title was the best. Some often neglect anything before Ocarina of Time. Fangirlasm abound.

What they want for SSB4: Many want Ghirahim as a new vrep for the series. Some simply want a better Ganondorf.

Metroid: Supports the series in whatever way they can. Major arguments about Other M, though.

What they want for SSB4: Ridley, Ridley, RIDLEY. Nothing else, as far as I know.

Yoshi's Island: Kinda the same as the Mario Fandom(considering this is a sub-series, it makes sense), though, they don't care much for the sequels. In fact, some actually hate the sequels(though, they show mercy to Yoshi's Story).

What they want for SSB4: Many have called for Kamek, since they see him as the only viable rep for this sub-series.

Kirby's Dream Land: Arguably, the most sane, mellowed-out fanbase in all of nintendo. Old Generation? New Generation? Character decay? They don't care as long as the games are enjoyable. Even the spinoffs.
What they want for SSB4: I have heard alot about Bandana Dee.

StarFox: Really broken. To many, there's only ONE good game in the series(SF64). The game after it not only featured perhaps the most controversial characters in the series, but was also the start of Rareware's downfall(according to many). And it gets worse from there, both the series and its fanbase.

What they want for SSB4: Many suggest Krystal, due to the belief that her staff will make her gameplay unique and not a clone. That's still debatable, though.

Pokémon: ALOT to go over. G1 Purists, Tournament Extremists, Shippers, the works. Not to mention fans of the different medias. The Games, the TV Shows & Movies, the Books... dear Lord! Kinda hard to explain.

What they want for SSB4: Mewtwo. They want him back. They also want Zoroark and Genesect. And a new trainer. And those are just the more commant wants.

F-ZERO: I barely hear from them. I guess they don't want to stick our like other fanbases.

What they ant for SSB4: Majority Samurai Goroh and Black Shadow. Really, they'll probably take ANYBODY just so Captain Falcon won't be alone.

EarthBound: From what I have heard, they really want to be heard. And they want the games released outside of Nippon, no matter what.

What they want for Smash: Some want Porky, some want Kumatora. I'm not really sure.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
If Porky is playable he will just use anything as a shield and pretend to cry. If he appears with his Heavily Armed form or in his Mecha-Bed it will be a different story, though I'd still prefer him as a boss.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Most Suffering Fanbases:

Zelda (GREAT GAMES)
I Think metroid atm needs to be added to your suffering list...

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Most Suffering Fanbases:

Zelda (GREAT GAMES)

Slyly i think Metroid needs to be added to your ''Suffering list''

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Slyly i think Metroid needs to be added to your ''Suffering list''

1986 Metroid
1991 Metroid II: Return of Samus
1994 Super Metroid
2002 Metroid Fusion
2004 Metroid: Zero Mission
2010 Metroid: Other M

Metroid seems to be doing just fine, even ignoring the non-canon Retro Strudios titles. It's not spectacularly frequent in its releases, but it's doing much better than, say, Custom Robo.

Zelda being one of the "best-off" Nintendo titles seems fishy to me for some reason, but it might just be my bias against post-LttP titles.

nessokman

Smash Lord
A new mother rep is likely if what shigesato itoi said recently VIA twitter is true.
He said he is "working on something mother related",He also said it isn't mother 4, but it is supposed to make the game more "playable". He thanked those a starmen.net . This could be a translation of mother 1 or 3 and localization. That would expand the fanbase and the series in general, thus another rep *Coughthemaskedmansakuraiorigetyou* to be included.

Top Bottom