• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna be real, hearing this from you is really nice. I remember just a little while ago when you thought all hope was lost. Just goes to show that we need to celebrate small victories.

I for one am excited to have some fun with a Lip Mii and the Spirit battle looks great! It was nice to come to this thread after the direct and see some smiling faces (figuratively). I feel like those of us who like more obscure franchises like PdP, Style Savvy, Chibi Robo, etc. lucked out just seeing our faves acknowledged in a Smash mode.
I admit I was nearly heartbroken but recovered and took on a more positive view. Like everyone else already said, this is the first time Lip has gotten extensive exposure in Smash, so she has nowhere to go but up from here on. I think Sakurai does realize Lip still has fans.
Well that wasn't enough info for people to get to know who Lip was in Melee, Brawl and Sm4sh when there was just a Garbage Block of Lip (which does not mentioned to be her's) or the Lip's Stick item. (Name + name of the game)
People still didn't know who this character was and even if we assumed that people had an idea on what she looks like from the Furil sticker in Brawl, it still clearly wasn't enough for people to know who she was.
I am pretty sure people had no idea who Takamaru was even with a Sticker during the Brawl days.

With the lack of trophies, spirits will at least have more time to shine more unlike the Stickers in Brawl.
However my only problem with the Lip Spirit is that I don't think ANYONE will bother to use it because it equips an item and it doesn't really KO opponents like other battering items. People would probably rather equip the Death one instead for obvious reasons.
This is where the lack of description for the Spirits will hurt her the most along with the more popular Spirits being found overtime. Which will pretty much make her go back to people's minds like its always been.
You know sometimes I can't tell if you really are Pro-Lip judging from all your posts in these threads.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Stop being a pessimist. It's fine. Stop being a pessimist. Just the fact that Lip is appearing in person is a major boost to her visibility. Stop being a pessimist.
People are entitled to their opinions though. Weren’t you the gloomy one just a while ago when the Grinch thing happened and Lip wasn’t on it?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Again, it feels kind of like Nintendo is trying to slowly introduce international players to Lippy through big-name games like Animal Crossing and now Smash Bros.

You know sometimes I can't tell if you really are Pro-Lip judging from all your posts in these threads.
He's said on the Discord that he prefers Puyo Puyo and would rather have Arle in the game. That doesn't necessarily mean somebody is anti-Panel de Pon or anti-Lip, but sometimes it seems like he's really reaching for reasons why she can't be in the game and will never get any more popular.

People are entitled to their opinions though. Weren’t you the gloomy one just a while ago when the Grinch thing happened and Lip wasn’t on it?
There was no reason to believe we'd have anything more than the status quo this time. We'd already seen Lip's Stick.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna be real, hearing this from you is really nice. I remember just a little while ago when you thought all hope was lost. Just goes to show that we need to celebrate small victories.

I for one am excited to have some fun with a Lip Mii and the Spirit battle looks great! It was nice to come to this thread after the direct and see some smiling faces (figuratively). I feel like those of us who like more obscure franchises like PdP, Style Savvy, Chibi Robo, etc. lucked out just seeing our faves acknowledged in a Smash mode.
I guess Lip will be more opened to fan projects to like the fangame SSF2 having Chibi-robo and Isaac in the game which were both dormant series. I'm pretty sure MClouding saw the Lip outfit and Spirit in the Smash Direct and they didn't include her in the fan game because they didn't know who she was.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Alternative answer: Developing characters for fighting games, even fan games, takes a long time, and they haven't done anything about Lippy because they're still working on Waluigi, Rayman, and Simon.

Last edited:

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Alternative answer: Developing characters fighting for games, even fan games, takes a long time, and they haven't done anything about Lippy because they're still working on Waluigi, Rayman, and Simon.
This too. it's been like at least a year since the last Crusade update.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Alternative answer: Developing characters fighting for games, even fan games, takes a long time, and they haven't done anything about Lippy because they're still working on Waluigi, Rayman, and Simon.
Lol, I remember Rayman was buggy but when they are finished with them I can't wait to see the next characters included. I had a dream where Ashley was playable in SSF2.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I agree, Ashley would be great to see in SSF2. In fact, she and Lip should both be there, to prove there's no competition.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Lip getting the Takamaru treatment(in how he appeared as a guest in Samurai Warriors and had a Nintendoland themed stage) via AC and Smash is the boon this character needed.

All that's needed to seal the deal is a Puzzle League international release that has her in it, and then the possibilities can really run wild.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Lip getting the Takamaru treatment(in how he appeared as a guest in Samurai Warriors and had a Nintendoland themed stage) via AC and Smash is the boon this character needed.

All that's needed to seal the deal is a Puzzle League international release that has her in it, and then the possibilities can really run wild.
Technically Lip never appeared in a Puzzle League game and there's a lack of a trademark for that name, so its really not an official name for the series. Brand names always has trademarks to protect a term to use for their IPs.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
And that's not going into what an awful name Puzzle League is. You could apply it to almost any puzzle game and it would still fit. It only works for Pokemon, because Pokemon is known for having leagues to begin with. Take that element out of it, and you're left with nothing.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
And that's not going into what an awful name Puzzle League is. You could apply it to almost any puzzle game and it would still fit. It only works for Pokemon, because Pokemon is known for having leagues to begin with. Take that element out of it, and you're left with nothing.
I surely don't remember any Leagues in Animal Crossing.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Well you're just not looking hard enough, obviously. Otherwise they'd have to call it Animal Crossing Puzzle Happy Room Academy, and that's just not a very good name at all.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
The Miis never had a voice option until now, right? This is a little more appealing as Lip's overall proportions fit the Mii to an extent. A good face is just enough to properly replicate the character and the assets for the costume can be better used for potential mods.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Holy crap....just realized they used the default Mii Swordfighter for Lip in the direct.
035192F0-7448-4396-8379-7C2F532201A3.jpeg

Crossdressing, much? XD
Imagine Lip herself getting into the game.
You have Lip holding 2 Lip’s Sticks fighting a Lip Mii holding 2 Lip’s Sticks.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Holy crap....just realized they used the default Mii Swordfighter for Lip in the direct.
View attachment 175955
Crossdressing, much? XD
You know male Villagers can wear the fairy flower outfit of Lip in Welcome Amiibo.

The Miis never had a voice option until now, right? This is a little more appealing as Lip's overall proportions fit the Mii to an extent. A good face is just enough to properly replicate the character and the assets for the costume can be better used for potential mods.
At least it a Lip Mii won't have an issue like how Viridi's outfit is too realistic for a Mii or the Mii's head being too large for Ashley. Lip has a large head and the Mii outfit is cartoony. The only issue with the outfit is that the Miis lack ears, and you can't use the eyebrows to replicate ears to ensure the earings aren't floating in the air.
I'd like a Villager mod where they wear a Lip outfit like in Welcome Amiibo.

shammah121

Smash Cadet
I feel like if Lip was to get into the game she would either not have her stick or she would get a redesigned version of the stick.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I feel like if Lip was to get into the game she would either not have her stick or she would get a redesigned version of the stick.
Personally, I can see the item being larger and more club-like than the wand Lip holds. Exactly like what ended up happening with the Mii outfit, actually.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Lip would definitely use her stick, it’s pretty much her signature item. Plus, it could just be closed when not in use unlike the item.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Remember when the Mii fighter DLC outfits had QR codes in Sm4sh? Maybe they'll release QR codes for a Lip Mii.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I don't think Switch Miis work with QR codes, unfortunately, since the Switch doesn't have a camera. The closest you can get is trying to match the appearance by hand.

Last edited:

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
Well, I seemed to have missed a lot in the past week. Apparently lip got a mii skin, and while I haven't really tried catching up, I'm assuming everyone's feeling mixed about it?

I for one am super happy with what we got. Just seeing her not faceless after all this time is a major step up! I can tell you for certain my mii will be running around in lips outfit for sure

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Almost everyone is pleased as punch about the Mii costume, especially since it doesn't explicitly deconfirm her from being DLC.

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Well, I seemed to have missed a lot in the past week. Apparently lip got a mii skin, and while I haven't really tried catching up, I'm assuming everyone's feeling mixed about it?

I for one am super happy with what we got. Just seeing her not faceless after all this time is a major step up! I can tell you for certain my mii will be running around in lips outfit for sure
We all seem pretty happy here. I've seen zero complaints from Lip fans so far, which tells you we've been treated so bad lately even small victories like these matters for us.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Even the eternal Eeyore and Lip-supporter-turned-sour RouffWestie was happy that she got some recognition. How's that for high spirits (if you'll pardon the pun)?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Hey guys, new tweets from Sakurai came in.

So, who are the lucky contestants? We'll just have to wait and see...

DreamZeroX

Smash Cadet
I was thinking that too. They showed us Soo much of Lips Spirit, Her LipStick, Her Mii Costume. I can see her Being DLC! Please Bring this Flowery Maiden to the Fray!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
"Chosen entirely by Nintendo," huh? Hmm...maybe this is part of their initiative to introduce new players to dormant IPs that we've been hearing about. We'll see, my friends, we'll see.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
"Chosen entirely by Nintendo," huh? Hmm...maybe this is part of their initiative to introduce new players to dormant IPs that we've been hearing about. We'll see, my friends, we'll see.
You got my line! I guess we may find the answer to some of the trademarks we saw renewed that didn't get fighters in the game?

Last edited:

DreamZeroX

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, new tweets from Sakurai came in.

So, who are the lucky contestants? We'll just have to wait and see...
Everyone Spam Lip From Panel De Pon Blossoms In!

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Everyone Spam Lip From Panel De Pon Blossoms In!
Umm... I think they don't want us to do that, they aren't asking for feedback in their tweets.

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully this doesn't mean too much 3rd Party, like Smash 4 DLC. Any more and it'd be harder to see Smash as a Nintendo collab

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Umm... I think they don't want us to do that, they aren't asking for feedback in their tweets.
I would still advise to do it anyways. They may not want feedback, but they need feedback lol.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
While I was doing a class project on making maillist for art class, I happened to come across this particular person whom did videogame spreads for Nintendo magazines, and guess what I found:

There aren't any high quality versions from her page, but I found this interesting.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
As far as I can tell, the Panel de Pon artwork is there because it's because it's a page on Nintendo Software Technology, a Western branch of Nintendo who provided assistance for the NPC version of Panel de Pon (and Pokemon Puzzle League).

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
So this essentially means that for Lip to be DLC, there would have to be an upcoming PdP game on the switch for her to promote?

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
So this essentially means that for Lip to be DLC, there would have to be an upcoming PdP game on the switch for her to promote?
And it also depends on weather or not if she was on Nintendo's list of characters that Sakurai can choose from.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Not necessarily. Some time ago there was a rumor that Nintendo was going to use the Switch to introduce their old, dormant IPs to a fresh new audience. With any luck...

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Not necessarily. Some time ago there was a rumor that Nintendo was going to use the Switch to introduce their old, dormant IPs to a fresh new audience. With any luck...
Yeah....I guess so.
Regardless, I’m still happy she got some attention in Ultimate. God bless Sakurai for all his work.

Top Bottom