• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The exploding man - Plok

Zeox

Smash Champion

The killer of fleas, the king of Akrillic, the guy who only cares about his flags!
Plok!

Hello everyone and welcome to Plok's support thread, here I will tell you a little of the story of the character, what kind of abilities he have, and why he would be an interesting character even if he have absolutely no chances to be in the game! so let's start!

Origin of the character and his game:
It started as an arcade game, and ended up being a SNES game, Plok was released in 1993, Shigeru Miyamoto expressed strong interest in working on the game, in fact when Shigeru Miyamoto first heard Plok's theme song, he didn't believe it was coming from a regular SNES and that the composer must have installed a modified audio chip. At the end Shigeru ended working in a game with "similar graphics" called Yoshi's island (I put "" in it because I don't think they are that similar).

Sadly, the game was released in a very awful time, since Sonic was just released, everyone was trying to make their own Sonic, and hundreds of new platform games with unknow character were released, including things like... Bubsy.
So, people would rather buy Mario, Sonic, or a character that they know rather than risk their money with an unknow character.
And that's what happen with Plok, he sell well but not well enough, and that's sad because even Nintendo thought it will be a new big name.
Plok also appeared in a nintendo comic where he and Mario are the last two competitors in the games.

Abilities of the character:
Now this is the part where I tell you all his powers in the game and you imagine how it would work in Smash.
Plok have the ability to throw his arms as weapons, much like rayman but before him, but not only his arms, his legs too, all at the same time if he wants, then they return to him as a boomerang, but the moments he doesn't have his arms and legs he is completely indefense, he only moves by doing little jumps so he should be careful to not throw all of his limbs like crazy.

He also have 2 jumps, a small jump, and a super spiral jump, the small jump allows him to attack in the air but the spiral jump doesn't.

He also have another kind of jump, but this one is the saw jump, in the game, you use your "points" and consume them to use the saw jump, so if it was used in smash, I would guess it would increase the percentage of damage in exchange to use it, and in exchange you would make a very dangerous saw jump attack.

Plok also have costumes that changes his attacks, from a blunderbuss to a flamethrower, and even a Rocky balboa parody, here some examples:

AND he also have vehicles, some of them could easily be his final smash.

Plok have any chance?

Doubt it, the creators of Plok would love it but I don't think Nintendo even remembers this character and even if it did, he would give more priority to more well know characters, but as a fan myself it is my duty to promote him.
I remember someone made a very simple Smash4 Mod where he changed Pacman for Plok.

Link: https://twitter.com/dreamcasterguy/status/943193215544553472
If you are curious, grab a SNES emulator, download Plok's rom and play it, is the only way to play the game right now and the creators wants people to play it, but little warning, the game gets hard pretty fast and sometimes it can be a little unfair, so get ready to use save states.

List of supporters:
Zeox
Retzyn
Phoebee
Wario Wario Wario
slambros
SSBCandidates
SEGAGameBoy
smash puffle
air21
ninjahmos

Last edited:

slambros

Smash Ace
The eyebrows carry the whole concept for me. Imagine landing a smash attack with a character that has those kind of eyebrows...

But I'd definitely support this for sure.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Thanks everyone, I know there are probably no way he ends in Smash, but it wouldn't be the weirdest thing that happens, after all, who expected Ice Climbers? or Mr. Game and watch? or freaking ROB?

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Ehh, why not? I guess we could go for an obscure character for Smash. They should give Plok a stage with music from the game. Both originals and new remixes. I'd love to hear a Smash remix of the Beach theme.

Oddball

Smash Lord
He is so underated. I like him more than Rayman, please add me as a supporter!
My thoughts exactly.

All the past "retro" picks have been from the NES era. It'd be nice to get some SNES representation to go with it.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Is there anyway to contact them? It seems that worked on the creator of Earthworm Jim who wants the rights back so he can place him in SSB.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Plok is an interesting character: even though he did the whole "limbless thing" first, Rayman was the guy who popularized it. But I think this is a character I can support, even as unlikely as he is.

Alts: Default (Red/Yellow) - Blue/Cyan - Green/Lime - Fuchsia/Pink - Grandpappy (complete with monochrome) - Sepia Grandpappy - Reverse Plok (Yellow/Red) Grandpappy - Purple/Indigo Grandpappy

Gimmick: Plok's frame data depends on how good your aiming is. If you land hits consistently, his frame data is excellent, and among the best in the game. However the worse you are at hitting your shots, the longer you have to wait. This is contextualized through his limb attacks, which return to him instantly when you land blows but have to make the trip back when you don't. Couple that with range issues on his most powerful moves, and Plok will have to be brave enough to get in, despite having mediocre-to-bad mobility, in order to succeed.

Every single song in Plok should get in with him, but the Beach and Boss themes are borderline mandatory. Cotton Island or Akrillic would fit as a stage.

If I ever get a full blown moveset inspiration, I'll think of it.

Top Bottom