• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Essential Corrin Guide

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
"Why am I always impaled by blonde people"

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I googled your quote out of curiosity and this is what I found
View attachment 118409
I....I don't even....
I just meant how Ganondorf kept getting deathstabbed by Link in OoT, WW, TP etc...
*squints closely at results*
Omg someone impaled themselves on a toothbrush what the eff.

OK, real question.
Which of Corrin's aerials can autocancel in a realistic situation? I know neutral aerial doesn't, but it still has low ending lag.

Last edited:

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
I....I don't even....
I just meant how Ganondorf kept getting deathstabbed by Link in OoT, WW, TP etc...
*squints closely at results*
Omg someone impaled themselves on a toothbrush what the eff.

OK, real question.
Which of Corrin's aerials can autocancel in a realistic situation? I know neutral aerial doesn't, but it still has low ending lag.
Back air auto cancels. You can cancel the animation of the wings as they are about to come out, and you can cancel it at just about any point. I think that's the only one. To be completely honest I didn't think nair or fair had any lag at all.

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
O.K. We got some new **** coming up so prepare yourselves.

Since I'm lazy and don't want to do the research for Corrin's precise matchups against all characters in the game, I will instead be taking requests from people in the comments.
Ask me to do any character you want.
It could be a personal john with a character or it could be finding out about bad match ups.
Keep in mind though: I will not get back to you immediately, since this will take some time and research.
I will go through all the characters options (And I mean all options) and find out what advantages a character has, and what advantages Corrin has.
Note: an advantage for the other character counts as a disadvantage for Corrin

I will also include my own personal take on how to deal with said match-up, though keep in mind I have not played all match-ups. Most of what I say in this section will be theory based, as opposed to personal experience.

For the first one, I decided to include the Sheik match-up, since I just got through watching Void's stream with Cosmos, so it gave me some more insight into the match-up.
I will be posting it either today or tomorrow, since I feel as though this message has gone on long enough.

In other news, I will not be able to get a Wii U this weekend, but I will have one next weekend.
I'm looking forward to your requests!

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
O.K. We got some new **** coming up so prepare yourselves.

Since I'm lazy and don't want to do the research for Corrin's precise matchups against all characters in the game, I will instead be taking requests from people in the comments.
Ask me to do any character you want.
It could be a personal john with a character or it could be finding out about bad match ups.
Keep in mind though: I will not get back to you immediately, since this will take some time and research.
I will go through all the characters options (And I mean all options) and find out what advantages a character has, and what advantages Corrin has.
Note: an advantage for the other character counts as a disadvantage for Corrin

I will also include my own personal take on how to deal with said match-up, though keep in mind I have not played all match-ups. Most of what I say in this section will be theory based, as opposed to personal experience.

For the first one, I decided to include the Sheik match-up, since I just got through watching Void's stream with Cosmos, so it gave me some more insight into the match-up.
I will be posting it either today or tomorrow, since I feel as though this message has gone on long enough.

In other news, I will not be able to get a Wii U this weekend, but I will have one next weekend.
I'm looking forward to your requests!
Alrighty, I'll go first.
Please research
1)Marth
2)Ike
3)King Dedede.
Itd pretty much personal johns, but I seem to lose against these guys constantly, so I'd like some insight.

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Alrighty, I'll go first.
Please research
1)Marth
2)Ike
3)King Dedede.
Itd pretty much personal johns, but I seem to lose against these guys constantly, so I'd like some insight.
Alrighty, all get on it as soon as I can

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Corrin Tidbit No# 4: Corrin can true combo her fairs into death on the top platforms of Miiverse, Battlefield, and Dreamland.
This is more of a combo than a tid bit, but I had absolutely no idea this existed until recently. I've even attempted it in the past, only to fail.
Credit to @Oz for discovering this combo
This is the link to his youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZfe4ESZxxMNBWWNLeACPg

And one of three videos involving the combo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCICTAWl6bg

This is a tidbit solely because it advances Corrin's meta on stages with platforms....

.....and because it's stylish as ****

D

Deleted member 189823

I finally found my 3DS! Here are the two Marth gameplays
Round 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JICxMfkn5mE
Round 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxbsLT1zQ5o
@Oz
OceloT42 OceloT42
So you're mobility is already better than your last ones. "Lag johns", indeed.

Stuff:

- You should, like, stop B'ing. Just stop. Save it for an actual kill.
- Not that I disagree with Falling N-airs, just try to aim for varieties in the way of more cross-ups, autocancels or just empty land grabbing.
- Need a lot more F-air. I don't withhold if you don't wish for it to be a staple in your neutral (especially against similiarly-ranged pups), but you could use more strings (think at like 30-40's to 70's or so, try it out on Training to look for your combos).
- Nice TIPPER off of full-charge Dragon Ball, but don't get used to it (doing it, let alone expecting it to land often).
- Your Side B's seem rushed and a little toughtless. There were a handful of times where these where done far, they weren't a sure punish (which is what you should aim for), and you even went on ahead (which is actually super punishable).
- I understand that B-air isn't the best thing against Marth, but you should really use it more. It wouldn't made killing a whole lot easier, it's great on shields. Even if it hits their shield, it decieves people into thinking they can punish it, in which case, you can Side B them a lot of the time.
- Too much Side-B. You would kill a lot earlier if you don't abuse this for the sake of it.
- EDIT: also, work on simply dashing in and shield. Not only is it pretty much necessary against other swordies, but, apparently, it's just really good. Don't neglect your other grounded moveset (like D-Tilt, Jab & U-Tilt; F-Tilt off a run). This won me the tournament, right here.
- also (again), just grab. Grab more.

Corrin Tidbit No# 4: Corrin can true combo her fairs into death on the top platforms of Miiverse, Battlefield, and Dreamland.
This is more of a combo than a tid bit, but I had absolutely no idea this existed until recently. I've even attempted it in the past, only to fail.
Credit to @Oz for discovering this combo
This is the link to his youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZfe4ESZxxMNBWWNLeACPg

And one of three videos involving the combo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCICTAWl6bg

This is a tidbit solely because it advances Corrin's meta on stages with platforms....

.....and because it's stylish as ****
I appreciate it that, thank you.

Needless to say, I was actually going to step in and talk about how this may not be true, until I tried it against a lvl.9 CPU on Versus. Turns out these ****ers might actually not be so bad for training purposes after all. They have excellent reaction time, meaning their Power Shields are on point, they pretty much panic airdodge (...with ridiculous timing), Marth can Counter on reaction. What does this mean? Basically, if you're trying to practice spacing and combos, these are great. You know you've failed a combo if they can airdodge through it. So, I've tried this combo off a few times, in BF. I did it to Marth at about 60% (with stale F-airs, I think), and it worked. Seems to work around that percentage. With 100+ rage, it looks like you could kill him at like 50%.

also, D-Tilt to U-air kills at a stupid 80% with max rage. On Battlefield.

Last edited by a moderator:

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
So you're mobility is already better than your last ones. "Lag johns", indeed.

Stuff:

- You should, like, stop B'ing. Just stop. Save it for an actual kill.
- Not that I disagree with Falling N-airs, just try to aim for varieties in the way of more cross-ups, autocancels or just empty land grabbing.
- Need a lot more F-air. I don't withhold if you don't wish for it to be a staple in your neutral (especially against similiarly-ranged pups), but you could use more strings (think at like 30-40's to 70's or so, try it out on Training to look for your combos).
- Nice TIPPER off of full-charge Dragon Ball, but don't get used to it (doing it, let alone expecting it to land often).
- Your Side B's seem rushed and a little toughtless. There were a handful of times where these where done far, they weren't a sure punish (which is what you should aim for), and you even went on ahead (which is actually super punishable).
- I understand that B-air isn't the best thing against Marth, but you should really use it more. It wouldn't made killing a whole lot easier, it's great on shields. Even if it hits their shield, it decieves people into thinking they can punish it, in which case, you can Side B them a lot of the time.
- Too much Side-B. You would kill a lot earlier if you don't abuse this for the sake of it.
- EDIT: also, work on simply dashing in and shield. Not only is it pretty much necessary against other swordies, but, apparently, it's just really good. Don't neglect your other grounded moveset (like D-Tilt, Jab & U-Tilt; F-Tilt off a run). This won me the tournament, right here.
- also (again), just grab. Grab more.

I appreciate it that, thank you.

Needless to say, I was actually going to step in and talk about how this may not be true, until I tried it against a lvl.9 CPU on Versus. Turns out these ****ers might actually not be so bad for training purposes after all. They have excellent reaction time, meaning their Power Shields are on point, they pretty much panic airdodge (...with ridiculous timing), Marth can Counter on reaction. What does this mean? Basically, if you're trying to practice spacing and combos, these are great. You know you've failed a combo if they can airdodge through it. So, I've tried this combo off a few times, in BF. I did it to Marth at about 60% (with stale F-airs, I think), and it worked. Seems to work around that percentage. With 100+ rage, it looks like you could kill him at like 50%.

also, D-Tilt to U-air kills at a stupid 80% with max rage. On Battlefield.
Thank you for the tips! (Heh, get it)
Also, finally! Finally someone else realizes the benefits of panic airdodging CPUs!
Also, if the counter in the training mode reads it as true, it usually is. Though I have heard people say it isn't, I think that only applies to 50-50s where you have to buffer airdodge. All CPUs I play against with Sheik, I do forward tilt to uair, which is a 50-50, and they can never airdodge. I do the exact same thing to my friends, and they always airdodge. Its funny like that. The TM Counter also reads it as a true combo.

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Corrin Tidbit No# 5:
Corrin's forward and back throw have not only a hit box, but a tipper hitbox as well. Doesn't appear to be extremely strong, and is only useful in doubles, like trying to get someone else off of you
Or you could try to get a double grab combo. IDK
Thanks to @Nah for confirming this for me

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
My next two requests are, Cloud and Shulk.
I know Cloud vs Corrin has been discussed many times, but I'd still like a good write up. You explain stuff really well.
As for Monado Boy, I have a soft spot for him. He's my secondary even now.

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
My next two requests are, Cloud and Shulk.
I know Cloud vs Corrin has been discussed many times, but I'd still like a good write up. You explain stuff really well.
As for Monado Boy, I have a soft spot for him. He's my secondary even now.
I'll get that as soon as I can, but it looks more like it'll be out tomorrow. I've got physics homework and I'm watching TBH6

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I'll get that as soon as I can, but it looks more like it'll be out tomorrow. I've got physics homework and I'm watching TBH6
Take your time.
Are you watching BH6 live? My phone doesn't support streaming, and it's all I've got ;_;

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Take your time.
Are you watching BH6 live? My phone doesn't support streaming, and it's all I've got ;_;
I have a computer, so I can watch it live. Rooting for Cosmos, but supposedly losers won't be on stream. Though he hasn't posted anything on twitter about being kicked out ye

Scratch that losers is on stream. At least top 16 is

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

For a second, there, I thought it was an actually person. Needless to say, it's not like they would've had a lot of options on that last one. That was really good.

Semi-relevant:

- Forgot how good Smash 3DS looks. It has it's own litle charm to it.
- Had no idea you used male Corrin with all the "she"s you waved around. Shoutouts to Bro Corrin. Can't help but think you're doing it to catch my attention.

Last edited by a moderator:

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
For a second, there, I thought it was an actually person. Needless to say, it's not like they would've had a lot of options on that last one. That was really good.

Semi-relevant:

- Forgot how good Smash 3DS looks. It has it's own litle charm to it.
- Had no idea you used male Corrin with all the "she"s you waved around. Shoutouts to Bro Corrin. Can't help but think you're doing it to catch my attention.
I used Bro Corrin that one game cause I was curious about how he'd feel. Got to say I dig it.
Also, I choose female Corrin because her taunts are superior. Male Corrin taunts are not worth using at all.

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Corrin Tidbit No# 6: The Footstool combos
Once again, this is a combo thing, but I'm putting it here because I have not seen a single Corrin try to use this in a tourney match.
Also, don't give me any BS that it's not viable or too difficult to pull off. I pulled it off twice in the same tourney against 2 different people, and once in another tourney.

It's nair, to rising fair, to double jump footstool. After the footstool you have two options. Read their DI and land with a nair to extend the Combo and possibly get a kill. Or dair. Dair is not true on the majority of the class, save for DK, Bowser, and I think Ganondorf. This is because regardless of DI, they can't escape. All other characters can DI out if they're prepared for it or do it preemptively.
Check out this video for visuals and percents.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWTaQAKz31o
I do not take credit for developing this combo, but I dare say I am the only Corrin to optimize these Combos at top level play

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Corrin Tidbit No# 6: The Footstool combos
Once again, this is a combo thing, but I'm putting it here because I have not seen a single Corrin try to use this in a tourney match.
Also, don't give me any BS that it's not viable or too difficult to pull off. I pulled it off twice in the same tourney against 2 different people, and once in another tourney.

It's nair, to rising fair, to double jump footstool. After the footstool you have two options. Read their DI and land with a nair to extend the Combo and possibly get a kill. Or dair. Dair is not true on the majority of the class, save for DK, Bowser, and I think Ganondorf. This is because regardless of DI, they can't escape. All other characters can DI out if they're prepared for it or do it preemptively.
Check out this video for visuals and percents.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWTaQAKz31o
I do not take credit for developing this combo, but I dare say I am the only Corrin to optimize these Combos at top level play
Is it easy to footstool on the 3DS?
I am horrible at footstooling, I've only done it accidentally. Except in training mode, where I did Kamemuahi's Mega man footstool combo.

I was so proud of myself...

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Is it easy to footstool on the 3DS?
I am horrible at footstooling, I've only done it accidentally. Except in training mode, where I did Kamemuahi's Mega man footstool combo.

I was so proud of myself...
You can footstool on any system. I figured out how to footstool when I was practicing Ryu's up tilt combos. I accidentally did a footstool, and was like "OH that's how you do it!" and after that repetition and instinct made it much much easier. It's easier if you are as close to the opponent as demi-humanly possible

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Corrin Tidbit No# 7: Corrin can true combo fair or nair into a DFS, that can kill from the center of the stage at the maximum percents it kills at.
Nair works earlier than fair, and when nair stops working, fair does. It works by landing very close to your opponent with fair or nair, dashing forward a little then full hopping into DFS, releasing the uncharged shot, into almost fully charged bite. You can't fully charge the bite, or they will fall out of it. Almost fully charge it to true combo. Also, training mode, for whatever reason, does not register the paralyzer shot to bite as a true combo, even though there is no way the opponent can escape (airdodge included)

The percent ranges skew based on weight and whatnot, but this is what I've found.

nair
Light weights: Lower 40s to upper 40s
Mid weights: lower 50s to upper 50s
Heavy weights: Lower 60s to upper 60s

Fair
Light weights: Lower 50s to upper 50s
Mid weights: lower 60s to upper 60s
Heavy weights: Lower 70s to upper 70s

Once full hop stops working (don't get too excited now) You can extend the combo by about 5% more by inputting double jump immediately after leaving the ground

This isn't an extremely viable kill option, and is incredibly difficult to do this on reaction to actually landing a nair or fair, so use this as a punish option for a laggy move, bait the opponent to land this, or just make a good read on the ledge get up, since the kill is 100% more effective on the ledge.
Also, nair to DFS only kills at the ledge. Fair to DFS can kill from center stage at the minimum percents it works at.

This Kill option would make Smashville super scary, with it's close blastzones.
Anywho, this is more of a useful back up tool to have in your pocket, don't actually try to use this as a viable kill option.

Here's where I pulled off in an actual match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z15W0zQHiPg

Top Bottom