• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Elitists' Lounge - Classical Music

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm surprised a thread like this doesn't exist.

Basically for anyone who doesn't get the distinctions, Baroque, Classical, and Romantic are basically periods of what most people lump together as "classical" music, classical music being to most people anything pre 20th century or something with an orchestra AND NO LYRICS MAN.

Anyway, if you enjoy these styles of music, this thread is for you.

If you play music from these periods, this thread is for you.

If you want to learn more about these types of music, this thread is also for you.

Don't worry, the thread title is a joke, snobs only listen to Baroque music obviously.

:denzel:

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
[yt]kdtLuyWuPDs[/yt]

[yt]aoFBMAVggzU[/yt]

[yt]LsReWx9XdNs[/yt]

[yt]yctfXIqugXc[/yt]

[yt]d-qwJoFQ3qo[/yt]

[yt]M_VCbnqbwwA[/yt]

[yt]SKrz1pl9oPw[/yt]

[yt]Hsp6dR-fL4A[/yt]

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
haha, that intro to the Dvorak video
"Cheerful, but not too much"

as an aside, can only mods and up embed youtube videos?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
as an aside, can only mods and up embed youtube videos?
Yep, only mods.

It's cool though people still click YT links, this isn't 2008 nobody rick rolls anyone except for 50+ year olds.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Much deserved bump. Why don't we start by naming some composers who seem to move us the most?

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I've always liked Brahms, and I guess just the romantic era in general
schumann too

to be perfectly honest I'm unable to name a particular piece

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I've always been into classical music on a superficial level, but recently I've gotten into it more deeply.

Lately I have really been digging Erik Satie. Some of my favorite pieces by him are the Gnossiennes, particularly No. 1, and also Trois Gymnopedies.

[yt]PLFVGwGQcB0[/yt]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLFVGwGQcB0

[yt]q7DBoiyBoJ8[/yt]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7DBoiyBoJ8

Simple compositions, but to me that's what makes them so haunting and moving.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I can play Gnossiene No1, pretty good stuff.

Thinking of adding Gymnopedie 1 to my repertoire soon, shouldn't take long. They sound simple but they are suprisingly dfficult to memorise I dunno why, I suppose its the ambience and repetition that just doesn't give you easy anchor points like more obviously phrased pieces. Satie's works almost feel like a timeless loop.

Also because needs some Beethoven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBVVIRHmUi4

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Elitist lounge? I'm not an elitist just because I love classical music!

Anyway, I started out really loving the Baroque and Classical periods - and still do - but as time has gone by I have become attracted to the 'extremes' of Renaissance choral music and French Impressionistic music. They're just something so different. And they both give the essence of feeling like I'm in some other world or something. Even though I believe in nothing supernatural. Music must be pretty special to give off that feeling, if you ask me.

Here are a couple that give off that vibe for me:

A collection of pieces by Tallis (Renaissance):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3_hbeXOTyY

The Sunken (Engulfed, whatever) Cathedral by Claude Debussy (Impressionistic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3geejD5Dksk

But how about some pieces I love?

I love Ravel's Le Tombeau de Couperain, but especially the Menuet Movement which starts around 15:25. It's a beautiful display of the oboe.

For other styles, I love Alessandro Marcello's Oboe Concerto in D Minor. I've also always been a big fan of Mozart. Particularly his Clarinet Concerto, I love all three movements but nowadays especially the first movement and the third movement.

Dvorak's New World Symphony has already been posted, but I particularly love this part.

I suppose before I go to crazy here, I should probably finish off, and I will finish off with a piece actually featuring my instrument... The second movement of Weber's Bassoon Concerto.

There are still a lot more pieces I love, but I'll stop there. lol

Top Bottom