• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The elephant in the room. Wario's grab releases

J-Money

Smash Apprentice
Everybody knows about Wario's huge weakness. But instead of addressing it, i see very few threads talking about it. It has come to my belief that the wario boards are trying to hide the fact a grab release even exists, or at least keep as many people in the dark as they can.
Ignorance is not bliss

I've started a list of Wario's guaranteed grab releases and ways wario can avoid grab releases. I say guaranteed because wario should not be grab released by anyone other than the characters below unless
1. Wario is grabbed an some sort of edge, where his feet are dangling. He will then air release and allow characters to follow it up on him(ex MKs neutral air, Diddy's F air, d air)
2. While mashing out, you press jump or up. He will then air release allowing for follow ups.

Wario’s Grab releases

Usmash, Utilt, Fair, Side b, Regrab,Fsmash(first hit)

Sweetspot knee, Up B, Uair

Usmash, Bair, Utilt

Uair, Usmash, fully charged punch

FSmash, Up B, regrab, Dair

pivot regrab,Utilt, Ftilt

Usmash Fsmash, Nair, Utilt, Uair, Fair,Dair

Usmash,Fair, footstool.

Ivysaur: UAir

Usmash, Fair

Utilt, Nair, Uair,

Clap, Fart, Usmash, up angled ftilt

Running pivot grab, Usmash

Usmash, sweet spot Fair, sweetspot Dair

Uair, Bair, regrab Dsmash(can be chained into pivot grab) (can be biked out of/Di up away and jump)

For now, I've included what I've thought was the deadliest GR follow ups. Please help and include less damaging moves and any other chains. If any of the above grab releases are not guaranteed, let me know, any help, tips, criticism is appreciated

J-Money

Smash Apprentice
Things you can do against the grab release

* NEVER EVER PRESS JUMP during a mash out. Doing so allows almost any character a free aerial/smash/follow up.
1. When playing against any of the above characters, Strike/Ban FD. There are no platforms to hide underneath. No matter how good of a Wario you are, you're going to have a hard time against D3s, Ikes, ZSS, and Yoshis if they have lots of room to work with.
2. Hide under platforms. If Wario gets grabbed underneath a platform, when he air releases, he has enough time to shield any smash or aerial. Know where the platform is in smashville.
3. Avoid the edges(of platforms/of stages). See the images for spots you should be wary of because if wario gets grabbed there, he will air released.
4. Know the range of pivot grabs. Most characters have pivot grab ranges greater than their normal grab ranges, be sure not to rush in too quickly
5. If you do end up getting grabbed on an edge(very likely to happen playing against Falco or Diddy) DI towards the stage/tech the spike.
5. Other misc/tips/useful things.
As a rule of thumb, if the character is taller than Wario, he/she has a grab release(exceptions include rob, samus, link)
DDD’s standing shield grab/pivot grab does not air release Wario
6. You can still mash out of a grab. Just do not press jump when mashing
7. Pummeling is your friend. If you mash out during a pummel, you will ground break, leaving you safe.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Nice initiative, if we don't have such a thread already then I believe we could allow it to live and put it in the directory.

DDD can also utilt (kills earlier than usmash), and bair is worth mentioning because of the silly position it can put us in at lower percentages. DK can also get a punch.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
No one ignores the grab releases, but it's good that someone compiled this because most of us were too lazy to do it. The pictures are pretty nice, but you should keep in mind that some characters can still hit w/ moves on certain stages.

For example, Snake can still uptilt you (weak hitbox) and Marth can uptilt you on the Bfield platforms even if you're grabbed underneath them, and the Yoshi's platform changes heights leaving you more/less vulnerable. Similarly, on Lylat there are times you can be grab released when you wouldn't be otherwise (or by characters who couldn't otherwise). Also, D3 and Wario and Bowser can grab release onto a platform, and then when you're in landing frames/shielding, they will use their air grabs to get a followup.

DK only gets fully charged punch.

Lastly, even if you're under a platform, if someone grabs you at the edges of the platforms or with a sliding grab, they can get you into grab release position, so don't get complacent.

J-Money

Smash Apprentice
Nice initiative, if we don't have such a thread already then I believe we could allow it to live and put it in the directory.

DDD can also utilt (kills earlier than usmash), and bair is worth mentioning because of the silly position it can put us in at lower percentages. DK can also get a punch.
I tested the utilt and i got mixed results. Are you sure D3 can get it in before wario can jump?

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Oh I forgot, ZSS gets way different things, dsmash can be Biked out of (DI away and jump as well I have heard, though I prefer Bike because it hits with a stupid hitbox ^^):

Uair, Bair, Fair (DI THIS DOWNWARDS AND THE 2ND HIT WILL MISS)

DDD utilt: I dare say yes, if I've been wrong all that time then I now hate myself.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You can leave this separate. It's not really advancing anything, just compiling all the stuff we've been too lazy to in the past.

J-Money

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone else had the thing where a character can't grab release Wario because they're perfectly on the edge so when Wario is released they go into their "about to fall off the edge" animation? I've had this happen with DDD multiple times and have seen it happen to other people
What do you mean? are his feet dangling? It could be 1 of 2 situations i think.
1.ive had a situation where you grab wario and his feet aren't dangling and when he ground breaks close to the edge and just falls off after the ground break.

2.They are pummeling during the break, allow for a ground break off the edge(most likely it)

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Can't bowser GR to down B and ftilt and fair ?

Also some times even when you're underneath a platform it doesn't matter because certain characters can still hit you out of a GR like Falcon (up B) snake and Marth's utilt.

Since you don't have Marth out that list he can do utilt fsmash usmash fair uair dair nair out of a GR.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I have a list of w/e wario can be released to typed up. contact me on aim if u want it.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Wario can grab release another Wario to Utilted Ftilt, which is better than Usmash.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
Masky, do you mean that weird thing where you get shield grabbed while they are sliding from being hit and then they slide off the ledge and weird stuff happens?

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
WeeG can up angled Fsmash us if we break up.
That doesn't count. Unless grabbing on the edge, if Wario air releases it's the own Wario's fault and not Luigi's, and it seems like that person doesn't count characters who have no way to reliably force Wario to air break without being in the edge.

Ivysaur CAN force Wario to air release 100% of the time.

Padô

Smash Lord
Can Ivysaur GR Wario to USmash? IT'D BE A BLAST lol!

Is Ike GR to USmash true? Sucks so much to take it, seriously.

@Masky

Yes, it happened to me 3 times in a tourney match against a DDD. If the DDD/Whatevertehcharacter spaces correctly their grab they won't get into "almost falling" animation.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
From the research that i did in training mode (masky u seem to know alot about this, correct me if you see something)

***** IF it says ground break next to it, what follows does not work -NORMALLY- If and only If there is a situation where Wario breaks up (either he presses up/jump or is on a platform/edge) he will break up and others can do w/e to him. *****

Mario: Ground break
nair
dair
fair
bair
upair
up tilt
b
bside
down b
up b
up smash

Luigi: Ground break
nair
fair
dair
up air
bair
Side B
Up B
Down B
B
Fsmash (tilted up)

Peach: Air Break
Fair
Bair
Upair
Dair
Nair
F tilt
Fsmash
Up smash
Up B

Bowser: Air Break
Fsmash
up smash
up tilt
f tilt (tilted up)
Fair
Bair
Nair
Dair
B
Side B
Up B

DK: air break
B
side B
Up B
Side smash
up smash
down smash
up tilt
f tilt (tilted up)
Dair
bair
up air
nair

Diddy: Ground break
dair
fair
up air
nair
b
up b
side b > can get footstooled after

Yoshi: air break
Grab
up smash
side smash (tilted up)
dair
up air
bair
nair
up tilt
up B
B

Wario: air break
up smash
Bair
Fair
Up air
Dair
Nair
down B
Up B
Side B
B
up tilt
f tilt (tilted up)
Butt taunt

Link: Ground Break
Up smash
Fsmash
Up tilt
F tilt
dair
bair
fair
nair
up air
up B

Zelda: Air break
up smash
f tilt (up)
Dair
Fair
Nair
B

Sheik: Air break
up smash
fair
bair
up air
filt
up tilt
nair

Gannon: Air break
up smash
side smash (up)
Side B
up B
Dair
fair
up air
nair

Toon Link: Ground break
Nair
dair
up air
fair
Bair
sour spot bair>footstool
up smash
side smash
f tilt
up tilt

Samus: Ground break
Dair
fair
up air
nair
up B
side b
up smash
side smash (tilted up)
up tilt
f tilt (tilted up)

Zero suit samus: Air break
up air
fair
bair
nair
uptilt
side b
up b
b
up smash
side smash

pit: Ground break
up smash
nair
fair
dair
f tilt
side b
B

Popo: ground break
f smash
up smash
down b
f tilt (tilted up)
fair
up air
bair
dair
nair

Rob: ground break
up air
fair
bair
nair
f tilt (tilted up)
side smash (tilted up)
down B
Side B

Kirby: ground break
up B
side b
bair
nair
up air
dair
fair
f tilt (up)

MetaKnight: ground break
fair
bair
nair
up air
dair
b
up b
up smash

King Dedede: ground break
up smash
fair
bair
dair
up air
nair
f tilt
Side B

Olimar: Ground break
olimar will most likely never grab you off the ledge because he doesnt
slide when he grabs you, he only stops and sends one of his pikmen to grab you and
from what ive tested they cant grab you in mid air.

Fox: Ground break
Down B
Side B
Dair
Fair
Up air
Bair
Nair
f tilt (tilted up)
Fsmash
up smash

Falco: ground break
Dair
Bair
Fair
up air
nair
up smash
f smash
side B
down b
Ftilt (tilted up)
up tilt

Wolf: Ground break
F tilt (tilted up)
fair
dair
bair
nair
down b
b

Falcon: air break
fair
up air
dair
bair
nair
up tilt
ftilt (tilted up)
up B
Side b
Side smash (tilted up)

Pikachu: Ground break
up smash
up tilt
bair
up air
fair
nair
side B
B

Ivy: Ground breaks (Thanks Masky)
nair
dair
bair
Fsmash (tilted up)
up B
B

Charizard: Ground break
Dair
fair
up air
bair
side b
up b
b
up smash
f tilt (tilted up)

Squirt: ground break
Dair
fair
up air
nair
bair
up tilt
up smash

Lucario: ground break
dair
fair
up air
nair
up smash
f smash
up tilt
f tilt (tilted up)
B

Jigs: Ground break
fair
dair
nair
up air
bair
side b

Marth: air break
nair
fair
bair
up air
dair
up smash
side smash (tip)
up tilt
f tilt
up B
side b

Ike: air break
up tilt
f tilt (tilted up)
bair
nair
dair
up b

Ness: ground break
Dair
fair
nair
bair
up air
up smash
side smash
d smash
side b
up b

Lucas: Ground break
Lucas is like olimar, he uses a snake thing to grab you
but he doesnt slide very far when he does it, it rare that a lucas
is going to grab you off the stage/platform, but if he does
Fair
dair
bair
up air
up smash
side smash
Dsmash
up B

G&W: Ground break
Up smash
F smash
Dsmash
fair
nair
bair
dair
up air
up tilt
f tilt
side b
up b
B

Snake: air break
Nair
bair
up air
up tilt

Sonic: Ground break
Fair
up air
bair
nair
dair
up tilt
up smash
f smash

Padô

Smash Lord
Seems like I took some USmashes because I was just biased on how cheap GR is... Not a big problem but still cheap.

I managed to Bike out of peaches USmash on GR, but I think my opponent missed the timing right?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Bowser can also utilt out of GR, and Ivysaur has guaranteed upair.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
@J-money: ide apriciate some credit. I might be a douche for saying this, but really. It took me more than a couple hours to test EVERY move for EVERY character.

J-Money

Smash Apprentice
@J-money: ide apriciate some credit. I might be a douche for saying this, but really. It took me more than a couple hours to test EVERY move for EVERY character.
yeah sure. my bad, i'll give you the proper credit when i make the adjustments. Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

Top Bottom