• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Edmonton Melee Power Ranking (updated: March 2010)

Regular Hitler

Smash Cadet
so he beat everybody aside from carl and mike. Was everybody else even there? I don't really care that much, but your panelists are bad.

Tyler and Luke you guys are like best friends, and you also are 50% of the panelist. Not that I'm suggesting anything but at the last two tournaments I saw you hosting you both tried to rig the brackets in your favor...

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Nope it's legit. Lukes the business. I don't see anyone else in Edmonton taking 4th. (aside from Tyson)

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
I don't agree with the placements myself. But who am I? Not even a panelist.

Actually, I'm going to flesh this out a bit. I'm just a little upset. Not so much because I'm not on the panel, but because nobody told me I am not on the panel anymore, and furthermore why I am not on the panel.

I don't believe this current PR adheres to what I believe to be fundamentals of constructing a PR.

Regular Hitler

Smash Cadet
Question: If I come to Edmonton and beat certain people but not others, will it effect the rankings whatsoever? It is Edmonton's Rankings so I just want this cleared up.

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
But srsly, I'm glad you guys think that, but Tyler, 2nd and 3rd, when the good players don't show really doesnt mean 2nd and 3rd.

Besides, how many times do we have to tell you guys, I'm glad one person did good once. Can you maybe learn how to judge consistancy, like please?

You guys just rank off of who you think would win in a match. Seriously, ****.

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
sid you were never "kicked out"

victor just randomly invited us when we were online and he made a pr out of our discussions I guess

there really isn't a panel I guess

levi: dunno
"Excluded"? Not much better.

A PR is an agreement of a collective body from the input of select individuals . Wtf are you doing on a panel if you have no power?

There is clearly a panel, because this PR is not indicative of factual information, nor is that practical.

And again, wtf are you doing on a panel if you can't answer that question. The answer should be crystal clear.

I don't know why I care so much. It's one of those things where it's too ridiculous to let slide, but also too ridiculous to care about.

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
It's because everyone made such a huge deal about the PR, and how perfect they want it to be, then they put out the ****tiest thing they can, and for some reason are shocked when they find out they did something wrong.

Seriously, you want a PR, read the guidelines, anyone ever done that? Maybe you should do it again.

Ever heard of this thing we call, abffrasss??

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
But srsly, I'm glad you guys think that, but Tyler, 2nd and 3rd, when the good players don't show really doesnt mean 2nd and 3rd.

Besides, how many times do we have to tell you guys, I'm glad one person did good once. Can you maybe learn how to judge consistancy, like please?

You guys just rank off of who you think would win in a match. Seriously, ****.
except everybody else who's good actually shows up, you know?

tyson and luke getting first in doubles, luke outplacing jarrett, beat him 2-0, beat matt 3-0 in a MM then 2-0 in tourney, etc. etc.

sure, carl wasn't there to get his first place, but luke still has beaten everybody else either in tourney match or just outplacing them the past two tourneys

also mike p just barely beat luke at december spesho

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I like how calgary is denying how good Luke is even though they haven't played him in more than half a year.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Sid, I don't think there was ever a panel, but I guess it's confusing because Victor says there was. All we did the last PR was the same thing we did this one; randomly got invited into a convo and discussed the PR, or talked to Victor individually. He asked whoever was on basically, there was no set panelist. The only reason Victor chose Tyler and I is because we talked about it a great deal while we were with Victor last weekend. Excluding you was random, and wasn't done conscientiously, it just happened. The list seems pretty good to me, but you obviously have different thoughts. Maybe you could explain these thoughts?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
oh yeah I forgot to explain to sid ><

Yeah Luke pretty much summed it. It wasn't intentional or anything.

Luke beat Stevo last tourney so ya. I guess we went off from that.

Stevo

Smash Champion
Calgary + sid has a point.

but I must say that Luke is getting pretty legit, although, I dont know how consistent.

Again, the Alberta PR should probably just be held off till we have the SUPER SPECIAL AWESOME MEGA SUPER ALBERTA ONRY ROUND ROBIN FUN TOURNAMENT OF GNARLY JOHN FREE FUN.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Calgary wasn't included for obvious reasons. This is an update after August, therefore ADAT2 wasn't considered. We're not following the rules exactly. We still have a panel, but they aren't permanent or anything. Why are you so against me being 4th? I can beat everyone below me, and no one above me, therefore, I am where I am supposed to be.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
wow people this isn't inui logic here

I'm not saying just because luke beat player a, he's better than player a

I'm saying that he's consistently played extremely well and has literally beat every single person in bracket AND placed higher than them except our top 3. how does that not constitute for 4th?

FalseFalco

Smash Master
I think people were in a rush to update this so that's where the exclusion of Sid came from (simply not online at the time). There's no schedule for this kind of thing; Updates aren't necessary until pretty much everyone b*tches about their placing. More care/time should be taken; This really shouldn't have been updated so soon. This being said, I've observed a lot of change regarding the skill of the Edmonton community and really, the placings don't appear radical to me.

I kinda got dragged into this myself, but I understand how hard it is to construct these things. Calgary raises some good points; it's hard to accurately grade a player due to
1. How many players show up/ Which players participate
2. Consistency
3. "ease" of Bracket/Pool (I think this part is bs)

HOWEVER, Calgary should also recognize that because of this difficulty a truly accurate list won't be produced (so don't expect it). Honestly I would like to see Brad and Levi's lists of Edmonton players. I bet they won't be all that 'accurate' either.

A lot of this could be settled easily by PR matches (supa hype like BC) if there are disputed placings so I want to see some freaking callouts happening.

Stevo

Smash Champion
So im not really on either side of this argument, but what if I get first place next tournament, beating Carl and Dan and Mike, do I become first? Lets say I do it 2 tournaments in a row.

At what point is the cut off of consistency versus recent placement? Ive been better than everyone on this list for at least more than a year at some point or another other than mike and Carl.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
in all honestly, I just wanted to trim down the pr and remove the inactive players.

and calgary

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
At what point is the cut off of consistency versus recent placement? Ive been better than everyone on this list for at least more than a year at some point or another other than mike and Carl.
This is the biggest issue I see with the current PR. Luke's placement is debatable due to Carl's first point (how many/who attended?), and Jarretts is debatable due to consistency.

I like Steve's idea of a RR, but that would be rather tough to organize. Perhaps we could collaborate?

Stevo

Smash Champion
well I can at least say this about the current list

it makes more sense than my main being Luigi lol
(but I got <3 from Dynamism, so its all good)

yea lets plan a big RR tournament!

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I think it'd be better to take the previous monthly into account, but right now, remove the PR. If Calgary and Edmonton gets involved with one another again, and the Melee scene keeps on rising and we can play one another more, with more results I think we could be ready for a more consistent and accurate Power Ranking.

With all the humbug that's gone down over something as silly as not being online at the time to talk about a Power Ranking, I don't think we're ready for one.

Actual panelists to assess the community (like we have for Brawl) is a must. How unprofessional does it look for us when all we do is just go, "Hey. You guys in Alberta? Good, let's talk in MSN about who ranks where." Which, isn't exactly a bad thing, but it's better when we've assigned people, you know?

Easier, no one is excluded that doesn't want to be (unless they're not really in the knowing about how Melee works and how the Melee community is running.)

But, that's just one opinion out of many. Take this how you will. /shrugs

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
3. "ease" of Bracket/Pool (I think this part is bs)
Well, I disagree, although it's 99 johns and just complaints. If someone literally gets a bracket where they dont have to face anyone in the top 5 untill the finals, they automatically get 3rd. Do they deserve third?

HOWEVER, Calgary should also recognize that because of this difficulty a truly accurate list won't be produced (so don't expect it). Honestly I would like to see Brad and Levi's lists of Edmonton players. I bet they won't be all that 'accurate' either.
Alright, and I'll even make a Calgary one for you too.

Edmonton:
1. Carl
2. Mike/Dan
3.Everyone else

Calgary
1. South Calgary
2. Sid
3. North Calgary

and calgary
We wanted out first.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Well, I disagree, although it's 99 johns and just complaints. If someone literally gets a bracket where they dont have to face anyone in the top 5 untill the finals, they automatically get 3rd. Do they deserve third?
yeah it also works the other way around

anybody remember youthree last may? I think dan's bracket was like carl first, mike p second LOL

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
well I can at least say this about the current list

it makes more sense than my main being Luigi lol
(but I got <3 from Dynamism, so its all good)

yea lets plan a big RR tournament!
I'll be in on this if it happens.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
A round robin tournament would be the ****. There would be no johns about anything, and this ranking would be super accurate. Calgary, you should say when you guys wanna come down, that way we could probably set something up with the melee monthlies.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
With that Marth? ***** plz.

Kinda feel like playing some Melee/Brawl this weekend actually. I'll get my cousin or neighbour to check out what that leak in my car is, and if I'm good to drive, yeah. Wanna chill?

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
yeah it also works the other way around

anybody remember youthree last may? I think dan's bracket was like carl first, mike p second LOL
Just so I'm sure, you're agreeing with me, right?

A round robin tournament would be the ****. There would be no johns about anything, and this ranking would be super accurate. Calgary, you should say when you guys wanna come down, that way we could probably set something up with the melee monthlies.
inb4atonofjohns

I'll tell everyone but you. Also, yeah really it depends on alex, which means we'll never know.

But if we are coming, I'd honestly not enter a round robin. I find those so boring. They're basically just random friendlies, but everyone is stressed.

Either way, it's really not my decision. Just don't ask me to come between january 26th and feb 9th.

kk. imma stomp then.
Not gonna lie, I think Jack will win by a pretty big margin (melee right?)

But only because for some reason I have a feeling that jack actually understands how to play against ganon. (seriously, I feel the marth/ganon match is so flippy. It's one way or the other, never even. and it's all dependant on whether or not the marth realizes one thing about ganon)

Top Bottom