• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Duck Hunt "I was so wrong!!!!" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, well, well... I told you so!

"but he has no name!"

"but he has no moveset potential!"
pic related

"but he is just a dog!"

"but all he did was laugh!"

"but PETA would come after Nintendo!"

"but he is not popular and is hated by everyone!"

"but there are better retro characters to choose from!"

"but you have to make up all of his moves!"

"but we don't need a NES Zapper rep!"

"but he's better suited as an Assist Trophy!"

"but Nintendo is not that stupid to include that dog!"
pic related

EDIT: I forgot this little gem: "but he doesn't fit Sakurai's criteria!" yeah @SmashChu remember that one, huh? :troll:

EDIT 2: Thank @ MooseSmuggler MooseSmuggler for this beautiful example of a Reddit user backpedalling when he was wrong! :smirk:

Huh! What's up now?! I was right! Duck Hunt Dog deserves this thread more than the newcomers and you know it! Duck Hunt Dog deserves to be in Smash!

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
But Takamaru, a Japanese only blue haired swordfighter, is so much more unique and iconic than the main character of the game bundled with the NES and Super Mario Bros!

Duh.

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
When I saw the leak, I thought WTF.
After I thought it over, I thought "Brilliant idea!" though I deemed it false because believing in it meant Wolf would be cut.

While I'm still a bit salty on Wolf, I am pefectly happy with the dog in Smash.
Who knows? Maybe I might make him my second main.

Sagashi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sagashi
So many good characters. Still sad about a lack of K. Rool, but at least i know who I'm going for unlocking first.

n88

Smash Lord
I firmly believe that I was correct and the developers of this game are wrong. Duck Hunt Dog deserves nothing!

Really though, congrats on getting to see the dog in Smash; I know you've been pulling for him for a long time. (I mean, I remember going back and forth with you on him in the old SSB4 thread.... must have been four or five years ago now?!) If he's got a fun set I'll tool around with him a little, even though he's never going to be my favorite character.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I was wrong about his name. Apparently it's not Duck Hunt Dog, but Dunk Hunt Dog!
Dunk hunt dog.png

:troll:

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
how could you berserker...

===

@ Arcadenik Arcadenik ... I.... was wrong. and I apologize... for my past transgressions...

PlayfulMushroom

Smash Apprentice
Well, well, well... I told you so!

"but he has no name!"

"but he has no moveset potential!"

"but he is just a dog!"

"but all he did was laugh!"

"but PETA would come after Nintendo!"

"but he is not popular and is hated by everyone!"

"but there are better retro characters to choose from!"

"but you have to make up all of his moves!"

"but we don't need a NES Zapper rep!"

"but he's better suited as an Assist Trophy!"

Huh! What's up now?! I was right! Duck Hunt Dog deserves this thread more than the newcomers and you know it! Duck Hunt Dog deserves to be in Smash!
I still think he was less deserving of a spot compared to some other characters...

Dynamite

Smash Apprentice
But Takamaru, a Japanese only blue haired swordfighter, is so much more unique and iconic than the main character of the game bundled with the NES and Super Mario Bros!

Duh.
Takamaru is Japan only? Guess that explains why I've never heard of him until I joined this site. As for Duck Hunt Dog, I've always supported his inclusion for being the new retro, because I have great memories of playing Duck Hunt at my cousin's house when I was very young. Honestly though before the leak and before Takamaru was discomfirmed, I didn't think he would make it in because of how unpopular he was. I'm so glad I was wrong though! I will definitely be sub-maining him!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I never was against Duck and Dog myself. These guys were such integrated part of my mind knowing "CULT CLASSIC" since my 11-year old ages in Newgrounds. Even got to try the game in Africa through some bootleg Zapper console.

To those though who doubted him - I guess, tough luck and poor you. Better luck next time I guess?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm so happy about him that I'm even willing to tolerate Dark Pit. He was my main in Crusade, and he seems to have a sort-of similar playstyle.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
That's wonderful. He is wonderful.
His FS is perfect, he is cute, he forms a team with the duck...
Just perfect.
However I'll admit I didn't expect the duck allways being next to the dog. Except for that...
YES !

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I was 100% wrong.

And I am very happy about it. :laugh:

Last edited:

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I really never thought he'd work as a character.

Now I want to main him more than anything.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I suppose I never thought of him as likely (retro characters are very difficult to predict), but I wouldn't say I counted him out. He obviously wasn't an impossibility.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Oh no, I always wanted him. But i knew he would never be in. (Like Crash Bandicoot)

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I hadn't given him any thought until the ESRB leak. The second the leak broke, I took a shine to the idea. Now, I'm planning to dual main him and Shulk. He looks like so much fun, while being practical (can spacing, anyone?)

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
THIS WHOLE TIME I COULDN'T STOP PICTURING THE BI-PEDAL OLIMAR BRAWL MOD. I was horrified at his inclusion because that Brawl Mod was just hideous to me. But THIS. THIS is what a Smash Bros character should be. I was wrong about hating the DHD's inclusion, and now I'm super excited and glad he's in Co-Main or possible main! (Depends on if I'm good with Megaman)

D

Deleted member

I never thought that he would get in over other retros like Takamaru. Even when he got leaked, I was a bit indifferent and uninterested in him. Now, I think his moveset was pretty cool!
I welcome him as a great addition to the Smash roster!

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice
I confess that I never thought he had much of a chance at all.

He's still dumb if he decides to not include any of the long requested fan-favorites.
I know, right? It's absolutely preposterous that none of them are in. Like, Little Mac and Mega Man should have totally been in the game.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Er...while I never thought much of Duck Hunt, nor its annoying little dog, I guess my profound hatred of ducks makes me say that I have never seen a better duck in a video game than this one.

Maybe it's because I get to punch ducks, and the dog, but hey, Duck Hunt's not even on my bottom 5 characters like I thought I'd have him. So I was wrong about that.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Nobody could had guessed he'd be in the roster a year ago. He's the surprise of this game. However I like his fighting style. He seems to have a Mr. Game & Watch-esque vibe to him as in he's a unorthodox funny character with a wacky move set that a lot of people will appreciate. Like Game & Watch before him he was implemented very well.

Last edited:

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
What's funny is most smash fans debunked the leak due to Duck Hunt and Ridley/Mewtwo's absence while calling it the worst Smash roster ever if it was true :/

I mean sorry your beloved Ridley or whatever didn't get in, but have you not noticed the amazing amount of new characters we got this game? This roster is amazing due to Duck Hunt Dog, Megaman, Bowser Jr. etc

so much more new movesets and recognizable characters than we had in Melee. Around 50 characters! And only two newcomers were clones. So its the best roster ever but i guess ppl are too spoiled nowadays to notice the amount of content we got. They don't remember the days where Smash only had 12 characters and way less stages.

i do suspect Sakurai favored getting newcomers that you wouldn't think could fight or be in a fighting game, He chose to challenge people's expectations with this game just by doing that with Duck Hunt, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager.....

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
In my case, it's not so much as I have dismissed the character as a joke as much as I have never truly considered the Duck Hunt Dog in my Smash speculation. I obviously recognized his existence, but I never really truly thought about him. That is, until the Ninka-Kiwi leak ended up gaining traction and my attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom