• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Dragon's Den: Official Dragonite Support Thread

/\/1/\/J4

Smash Journeyman
very very interesting idea. I like how much thought you put into this. but as diddy said much earlier only about like 2 more pokemon will probably make it. i like the dragonight pokemon though.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
I think Dragonite deserves a spot in brawl. In my opinon a pokemon who was there from the begining instantly deserves more then any pokemon and i think having him fly smoothy in genaral play would only make him more unique. He could excell in the air like Marth can.

If you hold B in the air he releases Ice beam from its mouth that freezes everyone it hits.
If you press A in the air he flics his wings AA in the air he flics his wings twice but the second time is more hard and deviate him a little bit. AAA in the air he releases a huge swipe of his wings that deviates him to the side alot and smashes anyone who gets in its way.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
a midair wing attack combo... good idea... i dunno about ice beam though, i can imagine dragonite shooting hyper beams down on opponents in midair more than him shooting ice beams that freeze people

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
this isnt a bump :D i have updated the first page with better pictures and more information.
dragonite has 30 supporters on the nsider forums. maybe i should make a support list here...

Falco-Z

Smash Apprentice
I would like to see Dragonite, but my favorite Pokemon not in Smash Bros is Meowth.
Also, it seems like Lucario and Blaziken are supported more than any other Pokemon though...

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
just because pokemon like lucario, blaziken and meowth are supported by alot of people, that doesnt mean that no other pokemon stand a chance as characters.

nukethemall73

Smash Cadet
meowth? he is about the most annoying little thing in the world, i just wouldnt bother unlocking him if he was in, i would rather see PICHU return! no joke, i hate meowth THAT much

Falco-Z

Smash Apprentice
I want Meowth because he is probably the second or third most recognized pokemon besides Pikachu and maybe Jigglypuff. I thought he should have been in Melee rather than Pichu or Mewtwo. Still, I guess he is a bit annoying, but it would be fun to play as...

As for Dragonite, I'm all for it as long as that doesn't mean we have to include like 7 other pokemon as well (referring to Pikachu, Pichu, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, Blaziken, Lucario, and of course I would like to see Meowth).

Scuba Man Sam

Smash Cadet
Oh my God. No More Pokemon. I will stab it in the head and it will die so it can't be a playable character, neh.:chuckle:

Quote of doom: I am Zim, Bring me the Tanks.

another quote: Pokemon, gotta stab em all. So true!:laugh:

Super_Cool

Smash Journeyman
Oh my God. No More Pokemon. I will stab it in the head and it will die so it can't be a playable character, neh.:chuckle:

Quote of doom: I am Zim, Bring me the Tanks.

another quote: Pokemon, gotta stab em all. So true!:laugh:
pokemon haters = fail

There will be more playable Pokemon. It is Nintendo's second best selling franchise. Get over it.

fatpower1337

Smash Apprentice
dragonite, thats cool. but blazikens better. having both of them would be awesome. and NO FREAKING MEOWTH! I HATE HIM! but blaziken, dragonite, and lucario i would like to see.

xenero

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't Dragonite's voice sound a bit... of for Brawl, and would it be hard to record the voice?

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Dragonite has always been one of my favorite pokemon, and I support him even more with the good moveset you posted. Props Oni =). My only complaint is that the Hyper Beam might need to be fixed a little. Mainly, I have an issue with the aerial part. While it would be fine is close combat, it would seem to be a very cheap edge guarding move if the opponent ever got below the stage. I could see SH to Hyperbeam causing some problems, but overall, I like it. Also, I don't think Thunderwave would make it, it just seem like a very dragony move if you know what I mean. However, the more I think about it, I can't really find a better replacement, so I may be wrong.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
ye it was hard to think of another move besides thunder wave but it is one of his most well known moves that he uses. what do you think is wrong with his aerial abilities and edge guarding?

ha ha i cant believe a pokemon hating noob bumped this... thanks...

Scuba Man Sam

Smash Cadet
pokemon haters = fail

There will be more playable Pokemon. It is Nintendo's second best selling franchise. Get over it.
sorry, I was hungry at that time so I was a little grumpy.:laugh: I can deal with oldschool pokemon like that dragon thing but all the new ones suck. What the heck is a nosepass. pokemon is getting out of control seriously.

super_cool? thats a scary name. Scuba man sam makes more sense. (sarcasm)

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
lol its kinda weird how you decided to express your pokemon hate on this forum that has been dead for ages... even though you dont even hate this idea.... i dont get people with their pokemon hate. i think it must be peer pressure. maybe you play the first gen or 2nd gen and then you just cbf buyin a GBA for the 3rd gen... i gotta admit though the 3rd gen dus hav alot of unoriginal pokemon. i like the first and second gen way more. but still pokemon is and will probably always be one of the best franchises ever and you cant deny that even if you think you have "grown" out of it.

Scuba Man Sam

Smash Cadet
lol its kinda weird how you decided to express your pokemon hate on this forum that has been dead for ages... even though you dont even hate this idea.... i dont get people with their pokemon hate. i think it must be peer pressure. maybe you play the first gen or 2nd gen and then you just cbf buyin a GBA for the 3rd gen... i gotta admit though the 3rd gen dus hav alot of unoriginal pokemon. i like the first and second gen way more. but still pokemon is and will probably always be one of the best franchises ever and you cant deny that even if you think you have "grown" out of it.
seriously. I was hungry.:laugh: pressure is for the poor. I don't feel it. i don't think Iv'e outgrown pokemon. I just found more interesting things to be...interested in, like drawing and watching Invader Zim. don't yell at me when I say this but Invader Zim is better than pokemon it's just not that famous because stupid little kids don't like watch it. It's too mature even though it's a cartoon.The simpsons, Boondocks,samurai champloo, and lots of other things are better than pokemon. you just think pokemon is great because it's famous or thought you were "cool" because you liked it before it became famous or you problably have some other lame excuse. I think...no wait, I know the games and the show are so repetative it's not even funny. Smash bros kinda saved pokemon...somehow! I do hate this idea. Just because I said I could deal with it doesn't mean I don't hate it. don't complain saying that my facts aren't really facts. they problably aren't but who cares. I'm always right, Die. now I'm hungry again.:( Pokemon will never be THE BEST franchise ever. unless they fill it with subliminal messages witch I think they already do.:)

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
There are probably more lucrative choices for the next Pokémon to include, but you put so much thought into this, and so much information and detail, that my new choice for next Pokémon to include is Dragonite. Congratulations on making such a strong case and putting so much effort into it! =)

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
was i talkin about the tv show? i never said it was good. im just saying pokemon is a fun game. its way better than alot of other crap, it is the top selling portable game. i never said i was a fanboy who loves everything about pokemon, including the TV show. every game makes crap TV shows. does that make the games crap? LoZ had a crap TV show. does that make ooT a bad game? i dont really care about 3rd gen and onwards. i think the first 2 pokemon gens were great. and even if you think pokemon is crap now, and maybe it is, that doesnt mean it wasnt great when it started.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
dragonite, thats cool. but blazikens better. having both of them would be awesome. and NO FREAKING MEOWTH! I HATE HIM! but blaziken, dragonite, and lucario i would like to see.
I hate you Blaizken is a stupid Fire Crotch Chicken, Meowth is a cool Spunky little money obssesed Cat, he's like a poke wario

rock_in_reo

Smash Apprentice
tasmania, australia... i think... i hope... i beli
I hate you Blaizken is a stupid Fire Crotch Chicken, Meowth is a cool Spunky little money obssesed Cat, he's like a poke wario
LOL.

but on topic, dragonite would be an awsome addition to brawl, better then the previously metioned pokemon, and would be kick***!

he would be the only pokemon that alot of people played (that wernt poke fans)

Scuba Man Sam

Smash Cadet
was i talkin about the tv show? i never said it was good. im just saying pokemon is a fun game. its way better than alot of other crap, it is the top selling portable game. i never said i was a fanboy who loves everything about pokemon, including the TV show. every game makes crap TV shows. does that make the games crap? LoZ had a crap TV show. does that make ooT a bad game? i dont really care about 3rd gen and onwards. i think the first 2 pokemon gens were great. and even if you think pokemon is crap now, and maybe it is, that doesnt mean it wasnt great when it started.

the games are repatative too. I wouldn't hate pokemon so mutch if They would put a new twist to the games. every game is the same. level up your pokemon, beat the gym leaders and beat the elite four. That got old. That's why I like mario. The plot is the same but the gameply is always so fun and different. Just be lucky you didn't run into my sister on these forums because she will hate pokemon to the death.:laugh:

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
@Fierce Oni: I just meant the aerial part of your Hyper Beam attack. For a move that is so powerful, it would be an extremely annoying move to get past when you are trying to recover. Mainly because if you are even with the stage, he can blast you from the ground, but if you are below the stage, Dragonite can just jump or SH to a Hyperbeam and blast you too. Basically, the only way that recovery wouldn't be extremely difficult against Dragonite was if your character could consistantly remain above the stage until he gets back, or he would have to have projectiles to disrupt the beam.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
so your saying that the beam going diagonaly down would be broken? it sais that it counts as a recovery move, doesnt it? so if he jumped off the stage to stop a recovery with a hyper beam, he wouldnt be able to jump and he would die to. maybe the beam could be slow, making it easy to counter. i dont see the big deal, samus's projectiles arent able to counter projectiles that easy.
it would work like shieks needles in terms of charging and how it is aimed.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
i got an idea for dragonite Hyper Beam attack. i think this would be better. instead of a part of a beam it would auctually be a whole beam.

B: Hyper Beam
Hold B to charge up a yellow beam from Dragonite's mouth, while being charged it would look like a ball as it would get bigger. Pressing L or R during the charge would store the beam, it could be charged up to a maximum of 5 charges, with each charge taking 2 seconds. Its essentially like Sheik's needles during the charge.
When you release B, Dragonite would shoot a yellow beam forward. It would be a little bit like Pikachu's down B Thunderbolt. With each charge, the beams length, width, amount of shocks and knock back shock power would increase.
If you tapped B to charge it once, the beam would be 15% the width and 70% the length of Dragonite. On impact with the opponent, it would shock the opponent once dealing 4% damage and knock them back dealing 1% damage, dealing 5% damage all together. It would basicly be like a stronger Falco laser with more delay.
If you charged the beam twice, the beam would be 30% the width and 140% the length of Dragonite. It would shock the opponent twice to deal 8% damage and knock them back to deal 2% damage to deal 10% damage, essentially making the beam twice as powerful.
Now if you charged the beam to the maximum fifth charge, the beam would be 75% the width and 350% the length of Dragonite. It would shock the opponent 5 times to deal 20% damage, but the knock back damage would double dealing 10% damage, and making the beam deal 30% damage all together.
This attack would cause a delay after the beam is shot with the delay increasing with each charge and if Hyper Beam is done in midair, the beam would be shot diagonaly down and it would count as a recovery move.

Airwave

Smash Rookie
There are so many characters that deserve a spot in Brawl, not just Pokemon. No matter what they end up with, they're going to disappoint someone, or end up killing the game by adding too many. Even so, you've convinced me that Dragonite is a worthy candidate.

bijoukaiba

Smash Journeyman
This is just my opinion, but I think after the newly-suggested Hyper Beam attack, Dragonite should be stunned for 2-3 seconds (think like the effects of having your shield broken).

1) The majority of moves with that type of power have some lag afterwards.
2) Even in the Poke'mon games, when the attack Hyper Beam is used, it is stated that said Poke'mon needs to recharge its energy. (Three of my major Poke'mon over the years- Bubbles, my Vaporeon; Balto, my Mightyena; and my own Dragonite, Luna, have known the move Hyper Beam so I know.)

In honor of Luna, Dragonite FTW.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
cool... do you think i should replace the hyper beam on the first page with this one? maybe Dragonite would get stunned for a period of time according to how much the beam was charged, 1 charge would be half a second, 2 would be 1 second, 3 would be 2 seconds, 4 would be 3 seconds and 5 would be 4-5 seconds, its just that in the anime Dragonite fires Hyper Beams without getting tired during an outrage

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah... Hey I might actually think this is an acceptable suggestion. :) Your putting very much effort into this which is good. Keep on going.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
Dragonite has always been my favorite pokemon, but I still don't think he should be in Brawl. First of all we already have alot of pokemon, and even though pichu is likely to get taken out we still could do without alot more pokemon. Second, if they do put more pokemon in, which they probably will, then they will most likely be from the newer games, since the ones in melee are all from red/blue, they will most likely take out Pichu and put in like 2 or 3 new pokemon from gold/silver/ruby/saphire. And finally, his recovery just seems weird. Your talking about a character that would be about the size of Bowser, having recovery similar to Kirby. Thats just crazy, you would never kill him. Anyway, I would like to see him in a pokeball, but I don't think he would work as a character.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
first of all, pokemon is one of nintendo's biggest franchises. it deserves characters. second, generation really doesnt have to do with aany characters chances and the first generation is the only good generation.
why wouldnt a heavy flying character work? it would be awsome and unique.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
after the 4th gen moves, here are some other potential moves i've been thinking about. (bump)

Super Smash: Meteoric Swarm:
Dragonite yells to the Sky and a few seconds later, a large number of medium sized meteors (as big as Dragonite) would continuously travel diagonaly downwards towards the stage around Dragonite for a few seconds. each one would explode on contact with anything, deal about 10% damage and smash opponents

B up: Dragon Dive
an alternate version of Fire Fox with Dragonite covered in green flames

B down: Dragon Dance
Dragonite would spin around in a 360' circle, while damaging opponents in the process but not smashing. Afterwards, his movement speed and damage dealt would be increased slightly temporarily, if the move is stacked on with itself, the boost would decrease each time. depending on the boost already given.

B up: Aerial Ace
Dragonite does a lylat wars style somersault as fast as half the speed of a pikachu quick attack followed by a fox phantom style attack in the direction that is being pointed at.

B down: Dragon Pulse
Dragonite charges green energy all over his body for as long as B is held, then he out a sphere shaped shockwave from his body that is bigger,more powerful and sent more farther out depending on the charging time. it would gradually become weaker and smaller as it goes outwards.

so, which of these attacks do you like?

Top Bottom