• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Dojo: Revealing too much? (Debate)

metroidmania

Smash Cadet
I've looked at the most recent updates they've had so far. I'm starting to see that it's actually not so terrible. An entire update day was spent on the "Tether Recovery". But they have so many updates left, I'm afraid they'll crack.

(Aside from the point, if they're including Devil, a character I've never seen or heard of, they'd better have a HUGE list of characters. And I mean HUGE so he's not taking up space. He looks cool but...)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Devil is just an Assist Trophy, not a main character.

Cygnus V Arcana

Smash Apprentice
here's a spoiler.

brawl will probably be awesome.

haha j/k

but seriously, all the posts on dojo are very informative to an extent and dont give too much away. Yes, secret characters are revealed, but do we get all of their moves or stats or anything like that? I welcome the updates because it just entices me to play the game even more. And of course if you dont like spoilers then dont look at anything brawl related. Simple as that

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This isn't really a debate...

If you don't want too much reveiled about Brawl, don't visit the web site...

It's that simple. No point in complaining...

Snakey

Smash Cadet
Considering the indepth details of the gameplay and all the combinations of levels, characters, and items -- it hasn't really been a spoiler, YET. There's still more than 3 months before it's release, and they might just run out of basic things to tell us. Maybe. They also might find other things to describe that leave the reader wanting to know more!

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
I don't think they'll reveal too much... from what I've seen and as far as characters are concerned, they're

1. Revealing what looks like the base characters, thus not really spoiling anything
2. In addition to every character being revealed, they eventually announce a max of 2 of their moves... 2 special moves, 1 significant special move (Pokemon Change), or a Final Smash.

They're only telling us stuff that will all be there when we first boot up the game, besides probably Solid Snake and maybe Meta Knight being potential unlockables. But, they haven't given them profiles yet so that doesn't entirely matter.

Waenke

Smash Cadet
AGREED. I said this earlier on another forum, but of course the first reply I got to it was some kid who doesn't care about anybody and said " I just guess u won't be able to go on the site or the forums anymore, oh well." Anyway, agreed. I don't really want to know each character's moves yet because , just like in the last game, I like trying out the characters from the previous game and seeing how much their moves changed. (I'll never forget how they drasticly changed link's Up-B from ssb to ssbm) Also, when they revealed Ike, i was very disappointed. Ike is a great chaarcter and I knew would be in Brawl, but this got me thinkin. Will we know all the characters including hidden ones before brawl even comes out? We already know two hidden characters and the game doesn't even come out until anohter 4 months. With us getting Brawl updates everyday, who knows what we'll know by the time we get it. At this rate, when we get the game, it might feel like we've already played it for how much we'll now. =[

Waenke

Smash Cadet
I don't think they'll reveal too much... from what I've seen and as far as characters are concerned, they're

1. Revealing what looks like the base characters, thus not really spoiling anything
2. In addition to every character being revealed, they eventually announce a max of 2 of their moves... 2 special moves, 1 significant special move (Pokemon Change), or a Final Smash.

They're only telling us stuff that will all be there when we first boot up the game, besides probably Solid Snake and maybe Meta Knight being potential unlockables. But, they haven't given them profiles yet so that doesn't entirely matter.
Dude, I'm pretty sure they've given us hidden characters as well, that "Warning! Challenger Approaching!" message isn't just there for anything, lol. Besides, if u added them and all the characters they've showed us so far besides snake.....that makes a lot of starters, lol.

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
Meh. I don't think it's that much of a problem. Yeah, you know the characters beforehand, but for someone like me, that only helps - I start thinking about playing as them, and I get more and more excited, and then by the time I do get to play as them...well, it rocks. No overhype. X)

'sides, most of the fun comes from just playing the game and having fun, and discovering the tinier details that they don't mention in the Dojo. Not knowing how to unlock a character, though...that's important. Or else you'll start playing the exact things to unlock certain stuff, knowing that you'll get a character, instead of fidaddling around and just testing everything out. e_e And seeing the world>seeing certain hallmarks.

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
Wow. I remember back in the dark ages (2005) when people were cursing Sakurai's name for not giving us any Brawl info. Now, "He's giving us too much info! Wah!"

Simply put, it's not too much at the Dojo. A lot of it is stuff a follower of Brawl info already knew, and the new stuff are usually things you'd see when you first turn on the game. Also, as many people have said, if you don't want to know anything, don't go to the site. If you have no self-control, it's not the fault of the Dojo.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Actually, I really don't mind at all that Sakurai is feeding me all of this new information of what to expect for Brawl. I was tired for a good long while of just speculating of what he and his development team is going to do. It's nice to know that he's thinking of his beloved consumers.

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
Dude, I'm pretty sure they've given us hidden characters as well, that "Warning! Challenger Approaching!" message isn't just there for anything, lol. Besides, if u added them and all the characters they've showed us so far besides snake.....that makes a lot of starters, lol.
The Warning sign is for characters being announced for the first time. It doesn't necessarily corrolate with their status as a base character.

Revealing too much? When has this become a problem? People typically complain about this information not being enough.

And by the way, you really think that alot is being revealed to us? hmm...

*Points at Halo 3*

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
They are eventually going to have to reveal it all, i don't see whats the fuss

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that "revealing too much" is an issue.

Given that we are all here, posting on this site and checking the Dojo frequently (read: daily), I think it's safe to say that most of us will be playing Brawl nonstop once we get it and will likely have most of the major things unlocked by the first week or two. So we're going to know it soon enough anyway...plus the fact that it is, like others have said, a fighting game. Spoilers might suck in some kind of epic story-driven game, but fighting games are different. We're all going to be striving to know everything about every character soon enough, so why not get a head start? It's not like they're telling us all that there is in the first place.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
That doesn't really mean anything.

We can't be so sure whether that sign is telling us they are unlockable or just that they are characters we haven't seen anywhere else. Right now this can not be determined.

I'm still going with Snake being the only unlockable character shown so far, everything else is pure speculation.

I've also come to realize that knowing the characters in this game before I play it doesn't bother me. I found out the characters for Melee from looking in a strategy guide before I got it for Christmas. It sure didn't effect my love for the game.

shipoffools

Smash Journeyman
weather you know the characters or not, december 3rd will be your first time playing them. and thats all thats really important

Sir James

The Doctor
If it was a game like the next Legend of Zelda, there'd be no way in hell you'd find me on a website that released a spoiler everyday. Fighting games are different. Sure, there's a story mode and such, but that isn't the game's main selling point. Knowing which characters are available and the types of moves that will be usable are very important. I love the fact that I already know how to play the character before the game is even out.

Also...let's not forget....we've been waiting YEARS for this game to come out. This recent surge of information is making up for that long drought. December 3rd couldn't come any sooner!

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Yeah, it's the fact that Smash is a Fighting type, and because of that, spoiling isn't that big of a problem. Sure, there some of the surprise of who or what's in will be taken away, but that's not why you buy the game. Heck, some people buy the game over the characters that are in, secret or otherwise.

And if you don't want to be spoiled, just stay off the site, or others that would talk about them.

Oranjoose

Smash Apprentice
Yeah.
The only thing I really have a problem with is that I'd rather find out all of the interesting new characters when I get the game, but I'm not just going to ignore the information on the website. I believe though that there is still a lot of juicy crap that we're not going to know about until its release.
Yay.

metallic shadow

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone, I've been watching this forum for a while and finally made an account. So, here's my first thread:

I have somewhat of a debate for all of you: Do you think the Dojo is telling us too much before the game comes out?

Here's a two basic sides of the argument that I have come up with to start:

Yes, we are learning way to much from the site's constant updates. While some of them are short and don't ruin much (items), other ones that detail characters and their moves feel like too much of a spoiler to me.

No, I'm not saying we are not finding out enough, but the info given to us on the site, for the most part, is incredibly simple. The two or three sentences about each detail do not go in depth as much as most of us here would know (for example knowing hit boxes and timings of moves, etc). This leaves much speculation to be had about anything told to us.

Feel free to elaborate on either of these answers to this question, or come up with one that is completely different. Have fun!
dude!
spoilers are fun!

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Since when is Smash Bros. a story game to be spoiling anything? I just wish they stopped updating with useless stuff like Tether Recovery, and just revealed the character roster already!
Cause we all know that Diddy, Ike, and Red haven't been revealed as part of the roster yet

OH WAIT!!!!

zomgpwned

Smash Rookie
Yeah, it's the fact that Smash is a Fighting type, and because of that, spoiling isn't that big of a problem. Sure, there some of the surprise of who or what's in will be taken away, but that's not why you buy the game. Heck, some people buy the game over the characters that are in, secret or otherwise.

And if you don't want to be spoiled, just stay off the site, or others that would talk about them.

exactly...

GregUnit

Smash Journeyman
Oh My God Fox Down B Is The Same Jesus Christ They Revealed Way Too Much On Smashbros Theres No Way I Can Enjoy The Game Now!

Smash Ace
@GregUnit:
exactly. if people think too much is being revealed, stay away from places where it is BEING revealed.

Zwabber

Smash Cadet
I don't think they're revealing too much. It's all very simple and basic smash knowledge we already know. Ok.. we get to know a couple of new characters from time to time. But well, as said before: If you don't want the game to be 'ruined' for you.. just don't visit smashbros.com. Simple as that, ain't it? :p

xenogears23

Smash Apprentice
they;re not revealing too much....

for a game like this it;s not a big deal if they spoil the surprises

everyday has been like Christmas the past few months

we've bonded as a community of smashers the past few months talking about the updates--our love for the game is growing ...and we're all on the edge of our seats...

this is the most brilliant marketing technique ever!

haha!

but seriously...other than story mode...anything else really can;t be "spoiled" for me

if you dont; want to be spoiled...stay in bed until dawn on the 3rd of decemeber after santa sakurai has left and open all ur christmas presents then

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
Spoilers? For a fighting game? Lol its not like hes releasing the equivilent to LoZ : TP main storyline. I wouldnt care if he released every character that is going to be in the game, because it is either me loading up dojo and screaming in enjoyment or me battling the newcomer on brawl and screaming in enjoyment. Overall I will still scream with enjoyment.

Betrayed

Smash Ace
I personally like the daily updates. It's got some of us counting the days until the game comes out, keeps the hype up and gives us something to hope for every day. A character we want, a character we DON'T want.

It's always something to talk about. Without them, we'd probably still be talking about the stuff we discussed the first week after the trailer :x

Tanvis

Smash Cadet
Exactly, Seashield, that's a valid point. The updates themselves bring us all closer together (or farther apart with speculation conflicts) creating a larger Smash community as the discussions bring in more interested fans.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Of course, since we're all human beings, most of us will be ungrateful because every update isn't "mind blowing' or 'what they wanted to see' or 'I'm just being a little *****'

Top Bottom