• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I recall back in Brawl days, I always found him to be a weird choice. Not as ridiculous as a Tetris block, mind you.

I don't know why, maybe it was Arkadenik's brilliant opening post, and the fact that after Brawl I was in serious need of more retro characters in my smash (after Pit had been promoted from retro to "new series" due to Sakurai's reboot-quel), but for SSB4, Duck Hunt Dog sounded like an awesome choice.

So I've been a supporter from early on. Cruising somewhere along my #6-#10 most wanted (not counting vets).
Can't believe he's finally here! I'd be seriously bummed if this all turned out to be one big fake, but what are the chanes of that now? :p

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Yeah, Brawl had other bases to cover when it came to retro characters, namely Pit, so I wasn't as adamant about the dog back then as I was for Smash 4.

Although it's arguable whether or not ROB should've been included before the dog... But to be fair, ROB was fresh in our minds thanks to Mario Kart DS.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It's pretty sad actually, people should've realized that he was a greater retro choice to use than Takamaru IMO.
Probably because he's more like ROB in regards to how the mass majority react to him, though the Duck Hunt dog is a familiar reference to most gamers, he's probably one of the forefront of people's mind until he's kind of shoved front and center for everyone to see.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
So another blue hair sword fighter? Yeah...we got a few of them...
I hate people that bring up this ****.

Let's start from the top here.
Takamaru is very different than the FE boys in the fact that he is a Samurai, not another swordsman, and in the fact that Takamaru doesn't 100% rely on his sword for all his attacks. He relies more heavily on a alarge arsenal of projectiles discovered throughout the game as well as an invisibility cloak; mystic sandals which allow him special powers; and small tanooki friends who give him items.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
I don't get how people are saying: ''DHD?!?!?! REALLY?!!?!''

Almost everyone knows him. Even my parents do lol. It's not a weird choice that such a famous dog is getting a spot in smash. He should've been added in the 64 version if you ask me. He represents a very very very known franchise. Same for Pac-Man/Pikachu/Mario/Sonic and other classics.

No offense but I'm a 99% sure more people know DHD than Shulk/any FE character/Villager or Palutena.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I don't get how people are saying: ''DHD?!?!?! REALLY?!!?!''

Almost everyone knows him. Even my parents do lol. It's not a weird choice that such a famous dog is getting a spot in smash. He should've been added in the 64 version if you ask me. He represents a very very very known franchise. Same for Pac-Man/Pikachu/Mario/Sonic and other classics.

No offense but I'm a 99% sure more people know DHD than Shulk/any FE character/Villager or Palutena.
Duck Hunt would probably be pretty forgettable if it weren't for the dog It was really the behavior of the dog during the duck hunting segment that gave the game any form of personality. Otherwise Duck Hunt would just be remember as a bare basic light gun shooter without anything to really say for it.

Though I think that's most remember the dog due to his most well known characteristic:

Seriously if that isn't one of his taunts or victory poses that would be a crime against nature.

Last edited:

spd12

Smash Cadet
NNID
PinkDodecahedron
3DS FC
0104-0418-0459
The thing that sticks out to me about Duck Hunt as a game is that you only have three shots to hit the targets (one or two ducks, or two clay pigeons). Considering how well Sakurai has translated a number of characters into Smash this go around (I point to Robin specifically as an amazingly faithful adaption), I'm really excited to see how he might design this one if the dog's in (and odds are very good now that they will be).

The thing is, Olimar already kinda-sorta does this by having a three Pikmin limit. A puppeteer where a dog manipulates a duck? Rosalina does this with Luma.

I'm sure there's going to be a really cool twist to this, we're just going to have to wait and see what it is.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
LOL It's pretty sad if we Duck Hunt supporters and Takamaru supporters can NEVER get along. That's why I'm glad that the dog is in and why I'm excited for Smash 5 to happen in 6 years. :troll:

So another blue hair sword fighter? Yeah...we got a few of them...
And thus why I hate the Smash fanbase. It's like how the Pokemon fanbase is racist against Fire/Fighting Type or food based Pokemon.

I hate people that bring up this ****.

Let's start from the top here.
Takamaru is very different than the FE boys in the fact that he is a Samurai, not another swordsman, and in the fact that Takamaru doesn't 100% rely on his sword for all his attacks. He relies more heavily on a a large arsenal of projectiles discovered throughout the game as well as an invisibility cloak; mystic sandals which allow him special powers; and small tanooki friends who give him items.
There there, he'll be in the Smash the next time. Think about it this way: Now that Duck Hunt Dog and Mach Rider (IF he's really an unlockable character), Sakurai would focus his attention on Eastern retros. Not only that, the game itself is finally international, he should no longer be afraid of adding to many Japan-only characters and Taka would be a great choice for the next iteration of Smash. Just don't let the "too many swordsmen" people get to you since they are the cancer of the fandom.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm both Takamaru and Duck Hunt Dog supporter. I Basically support any retro character. Not so much Japanese exclusive ones, though, but Takamaru gets my special treatment because he's a cool samurai. :)

Us retro character supporters should stick together, especially when current one time wonders such as Lucina, Shulk, Dark Pit, etc are getting in effortlessly.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm both Takamaru and Duck Hunt Dog supporter. I Basically support any retro character. Not so much Japanese exclusive ones, though, but Takamaru gets my special treatment because he's a cool samurai. :)

Us retro character supporters should stick together, especially when current one time wonders such as Lucina, Shulk, Dark Pit, etc are getting in effortlessly.
That's what I like about you shinhed-echi, you are always the cool one for treating most retros equally. We need more people like you on the forums.

On the subject of the Duck Hunt Dog, I'm really peeved that the leaker didn't show a video of him before he was fired. I would have known the perfect moves to use when I troll people in style with that lovable mutt.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I like Takamaru too, and after Nintendo Land, I figured the series got enough coverage to earn a character... And, it got an AT, so that's something. Despite being obscure and Japanese only, it does have a bit of importance to Nintendo's history...

But it's nothing compared to the iconic stature of Duck Hunt. Everybody here, everybody there, every single person that grew up with the NES knows Duck Hunt, and even more, knows that dog for laughing in their faces. I'd argue there's no retro rep more recognizable than Duck Hunt.... Maybe balloon fight, but I'd say Balloon Fight is a retro property that Nintendo has only more recently made popular, back in the 80's and 90's Balloon Fight was more or less swept under a rug, I'm pretty sure Excitebike was more popular than Balloon Fight. But nothing could touch Duck Hunt, nothing.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
A puppeteer where a dog manipulates a duck? Rosalina does this with Luma.
I'd actually like if it were the reverse. You play as a duck that manipulates the dog. Basically, you fly around as the duck, and the dog chases after you. All of your inputs are just flying and dodging maneuvers, but the dog itself will pounce, scratch, or bite at the evading duck, and these are the attacks that would actually deal damage to the opponent.

I actually haven't seen that much hate for Duck Hunt being included, and why would I? It's a logical inclusion. I think everyone is too busy hating Dr. Mario and Dark Pit anyway.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
Duck Hunt would probably be pretty forgettable if it weren't for the dog It was really the behavior of the dog during the duck hunting segment that gave the game any form of personality. Otherwise Duck Hunt would just be remember as a bare basic light gun shooter without anything to really say for it.

Though I think that's most remember the dog due to his most well known characteristic:

Seriously if that isn't one of his taunts or victory poses that would be a crime against nature.
It would be an injustice for that to not be his taunt.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You have got to be kidding me... now that Duck Hunt Dog is suddenly popular in the Smash community and the media is hyping DHD because of the leaks, my DHD pics are everywhere and I don't have enough bandwidth in my Photobucket... they are down. Damn!

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I think Duck Hunt is the perfect retro in that everyone knows him but no one expects him.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You have got to be kidding me... now that Duck Hunt Dog is suddenly popular in the Smash community and the media is hyping DHD because of the leaks, my DHD pics are everywhere and I don't have enough bandwidth in my Photobucket... they are down. Damn!
Had a similar problem with Photobucket and my past sigs. Now I use Imageshack! :D

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Somebody (forgot who) did a sketch over the leak pic, that allowed me to do this:

I'm not a Photoshop wizard, so this is the best I can manage.
Someone should polish this up, It's looks so finished!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Someone should polish this up, It's looks so finished!
Nah... they should save their time and energy... let Sakurai officially confirm DHD and we will have ourselves an amazing HD render. :awesome:

That render, when DHD is officially confirmed, will be my new avatar! ;)

Last edited:

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Just to be clear, DHD and Takamaru could've been on the same roster. DHD is more iconic and kinda makes more sense however. I loved playing Duck Hunt when I was a kid and have always remembered that damn dog's laugh! If the leak is real, I am very happy and am happy for all DHD supporters (especially Arcadenik obviously). But if it's fake, I would only feel bad that DHD and Shulk aren't in. Worse comes to worse, both DHD and Takamaru could be in Smash 5! :p

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I like Takamaru too, and after Nintendo Land, I figured the series got enough coverage to earn a character... And, it got an AT, so that's something. Despite being obscure and Japanese only, it does have a bit of importance to Nintendo's history...

But it's nothing compared to the iconic stature of Duck Hunt. Everybody here, everybody there, every single person that grew up with the NES knows Duck Hunt, and even more, knows that dog for laughing in their faces. I'd argue there's no retro rep more recognizable than Duck Hunt.... Maybe balloon fight, but I'd say Balloon Fight is a retro property that Nintendo has only more recently made popular, back in the 80's and 90's Balloon Fight was more or less swept under a rug, I'm pretty sure Excitebike was more popular than Balloon Fight. But nothing could touch Duck Hunt, nothing.
Very much agreed, I would honestly go and say DHD is even more iconic than Mr Game & Watch and ROB. He's actually on par with the likes of Pacman, Donkey Kong or Sonic. I would say Mario since he was featured on the same game but that may be too much of a stretch. He definitely does have the huge appeal.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I've noticed a massive resurgence in my Brawl mod, too. Everybody and their mother is using that dang Wario mod render in their CSS "prediction" mockups.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I knew that Duck Hunt Dog was popular outside of Smash communities but I didn't know he was really THAT popular. Wow!

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Here is my concept for DHD's poster on the Website:
A familiar grassy field with a single tree can be seen. In the foreground, you can see hands, lots of hands. Link and pit holding bows, samus and megaman holding their cannons aloft, Mario with a fiery fist and fox with his blaster. Numerous projectiles fly across the field, none hitting a dog and 2 ducks sitting in the center.
I don't thin I need to describe what the dog is doing :).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Something just bothers me about what the Duck's eyes are in the official artwork. The left eye in that image however looks more like a massive white zit instead of an eye.

Edit: I've just realized that it's his neck.

Last edited:

Yams

Smash Journeyman
Something just bothers me about what the Duck's eyes are in the official artwork. The left eye in that image however looks more like a massive white zit instead of an eye.

Edit: I've just realized that it's his neck.
I thought the exact same thing :laugh:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I have to say this, if there isn't a picture of the DHD interacting with one of the puppies in the Living Room stage, I would be very disappointed.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I have to say this, if there isn't a picture of the DHD interacting with one of the puppies in the Living Room stage, I would be very disappointed.
That would be soo adorable, the puppy would probably mistake DHD as his/her daddy, then they would go off chasing ducks together.

Anyways back on the subject of DHD himself, with the loss of the ICs (finally even though I'm going to severely miss Nana, she was adorable), I think he's in, especially if the leak is finally proven to be true.

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman

You forgot Ness :troll:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
As dumb as Miiverse is, it can be pretty funny.

I'm shocked at how many people who are... shocked that "Duck Hunt" could be a playable character. It's pretty much in line with past Smash rosters (Ice Climbers, Rob, MR. G&W).
For a social site that wants **** like Shrek and Goku, I wouldn't take them serious at all no matter how much they disagree with the dog.

Top Bottom