• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
"Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ***!"

The most memorable quote from him ever.
And the true beginning of the Attitude Era. People can say DX started it all they want, but I believe Steve Austin was the true starter of it all.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Welp.

Cloud.

Duck Hunt is now my secondary. Sorry guys, I'm such a huge fangirl for JRPG's, this direct was amazing. 2 Dragon Quests, Final Fantasy monster hunter clone, Fire Emblem Fates, Mario and Luigi and now CLOUD IN SMASH!

I CANNOT EVEN FJADLKFHADLFLJADGF'ADFADOGFGUADF'GUOF

Furret24

Smash Master
Welp.

Cloud.

Duck Hunt is now my secondary. Sorry guys, I'm such a huge fangirl for JRPG's, this direct was amazing. 2 Dragon Quests, Final Fantasy monster hunter clone, Fire Emblem Fates, Mario and Luigi and now CLOUD IN SMASH!

I guess we all have differences, since I hated it.

Probably has to do with the fact that I don't care about RPGs or Amiibos (excluding Smash). And they made up 90% of the direct.

Oh, and I don't like Cloud. I guess it just continues the tread of me not liking the DLC choices.

The Smash Broadcast intrigues me though, so that's a plus.
:gawmelee:

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Welp.

Cloud.

I was pretty giddy about Bravely Second, two Dragon Quests and Fire Emblem. I welcome Cloud with open arms, but I'll be sticking with Duck Hunt for now. Only character that would make me drop DH would be Chibi Robo. Disappointed that they didn't announce a release date for cloud, doe.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't usually do this but I thought I would just leave it here. One of my first matches I had with the dog and the duck.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Welp.

Cloud.

Haha.

I am hyped for Cloud getting in Smash as well... and I never played Final Fantasy VII before. I am also happy for my boyfriend because he told me he loved playing Final Fantasy VII in the late 1990s and he recognized Cloud right away when he watched the trailer. I am also happy with the Chocobo Mii costumes. I'm also hoping for Moogle and Slime Mii costumes at the very least.

I am also excited for Dragon Quest VII and Dragon Quest VIII (it is actually my first Dragon Quest game) coming to the 3DS. I have the other main games for the DS.

I also asked my boyfriend to get me Final Fantasy VII from the PlayStation Network.

:4duckhunt::4cloud:

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Haha.

I am hyped for Cloud getting in Smash as well... and I never played Final Fantasy VII before. I am also happy for my boyfriend because he told me he loved playing Final Fantasy VII in the late 1990s and he recognized Cloud right away when he watched the trailer. I am also happy with the Chocobo Mii costumes. I'm also hoping for Moogle and Slime Mii costumes at the very least.

I am also excited for Dragon Quest VII and Dragon Quest VIII (it is actually my first Dragon Quest game) coming to the 3DS. I have the other main games for the DS.

I also asked my boyfriend to get me Final Fantasy VII from the PlayStation Network.

:4duckhunt::4cloud:
Lemme ask ya a question, I only have Dragon Quest 9 and I love it! Do you think 7 & 8 are just as good? Better?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't know about DQ7 (never played it) but I truly enjoyed DQ8... I spent so many hours on this on the PS2.

I still need to make time to play DQ9 though... I have it but school keeps getting in the way. LOL

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I don't know about DQ7 (never played it) but I truly enjoyed DQ8... I spent so many hours on this on the PS2.

I still need to make time to play DQ9 though... I have it but school keeps getting in the way. LOL
If I remember, DQ8 was considered the best, next to V. Soooo HYYYYYPE!

And your BF was right, FFVII is a magical game with a magical universe!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I don't usually do this but I thought I would just leave it here. One of my first matches I had with the dog and the duck.

Less smash attacks, more cans and clay pigeons

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Good match... now it got me wondering... what's more effective? Pressing the B button before the clay pigeon hits the opponent... or pressing the B button after the clay pigeon hits the opponent?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I watched the replay myself. I wonder if that's the reason why I rarely see Duck Hunts online.
Nah, that's usually the spamming cans to much and Smash attacks in general. Nothing can save him.

Furret24

Smash Master

- Nice Spot Dodges and shields
- Use more specials
- Stop throwing out aerials, tilts, and smashes for no reason when your opponent is nowhere near you
- Cut down on the smashes
- Go offstage
- Use moves with purpose

[SKS] Yung Lamppost

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yung-Lamppost
3DS FC
2122-8762-7129

i'm not sure if you wanted advice or not but i'll suggest a few things for you.
- you're gonna need to stop using a lot of smash attacks
- use gunmen more, it's really good for spacing
- try to grab a bit more, it may not seem like it but dh has good follow ups after grabs
- learn how to rar back air since you like using aerials a bunch

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
- Nice Spot Dodges and shields
- Use more specials
- Stop throwing out aerials, tilts, and smashes for no reason when your opponent is nowhere near you
- Cut down on the smashes
- Go offstage
- Use moves with purpose
Dats sum gud advice dare

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
- try to grab a bit more, it may not seem like it but dh has good follow ups after grabs
Could you inform me on what good followups Duck Hunt gets out of a grab? All I get is dthrow -> fair or u-throw -> uair. Anything else is either so situational or requires abysmal DI.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Could you inform me on what good followups Duck Hunt gets out of a grab? All I get is dthrow -> fair or u-throw -> uair. Anything else is either so situational or requires abysmal DI.
There's dthrow -> short hop can,
fthrow -> fair at early percents,
dthrow -> dash attack guaranteed at early percents on heavies

and if you've not seen Dunnobro's latest vid, he has a few possible follow ups with grab...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBjo-c0UhAQ

Furret24

Smash Master
There's dthrow -> short hop can,
fthrow -> fair at early percents,
dthrow -> dash attack guaranteed at early percents on heavies

and if you've not seen Dunnobro's latest vid, he has a few possible follow ups with grab...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBjo-c0UhAQ
13% (Low percents)
18% (Low percents)
15% (Low percents on select characters)

That's some pretty poor follow-ups. When I think of good followups off a grab, I think of G&W's dthrow -> nair, which is a free 21% on any character until roughly 65%.

I'm not saying he shouldn't grab though. Duck Hunt still has a good grab range and a free 13% is still not bad.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
13% (Low percents)
18% (Low percents)
15% (Low percents on select characters)

That's some pretty poor follow-ups. When I think of good followups off a grab, I think of G&W's dthrow -> nair, which is a free 21% on any character until roughly 65%.

I'm not saying he shouldn't grab though. Duck Hunt still has a good grab range and a free 13% is still not bad.
It sucks cause Duck Hunts throws and angles are designed primarily for the can, otherwise I find them pretty poor.

Edit: In terms of killing.

Last edited:

[SKS] Yung Lamppost

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yung-Lamppost
3DS FC
2122-8762-7129
D-throw has a pretty good amount of follow ups and so does F-throw. With D-throw you can use D-throw -> F-Smash at early percents and even use it to kill at around 80-90 around the ledge. You can also get D-throw -> Uair at mid percents(you might even be able to get a second Uair) which i prefer to U-throw to Uair. If you read the air dodge at high percents D-throw -> Uair becomes a reliable kill set-up. F-throw has tons of follow ups, at 0-15%~ you can F-throw to dash attack which can you can follow up with an Uair or Fair depending on their DI, at mid percents you usually have F-throw into Fair or into RAR Bair. You also can connect F-throw, B-Throw, and U-Throw with your Can which can lead to good follow ups and kills

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
D-throw has a pretty good amount of follow ups and so does F-throw. With D-throw you can use D-throw -> F-Smash at early percents and even use it to kill at around 80-90 around the ledge. You can also get D-throw -> Uair at mid percents(you might even be able to get a second Uair) which i prefer to U-throw to Uair. If you read the air dodge at high percents D-throw -> Uair becomes a reliable kill set-up. F-throw has tons of follow ups, at 0 you can F-throw to dash attack which can you can follow up with an Uair or Fair depending on their DI, at mid percents you usually have F-throw into Fair or into RAR Bair. You also can connect F-throw, B-Throw, and U-Throw with your Can which can lead to good follow ups and kills
Dthrow -> fsmash doesn't work on any characterat any percent. Dthrow -> uair is not true or reliable at percents where uair can kill. Throw -> Can is incredibly hard to set-up and doesn't have any reliable or true followups at any percent.

[SKS] Yung Lamppost

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yung-Lamppost
3DS FC
2122-8762-7129
Dthrow -> fsmash doesn't work on any characterat any percent. Dthrow -> uair is not true or reliable at percents where uair can kill. Throw -> Can is incredibly hard to set-up and doesn't have any reliable or true followups at any percent.
D-throw -> Fsmash works at any percent if you simply read their air dodge. I never said D-Throw -> Uair was true in the first place lol and it is reliable if you read the persons air dodge. And throw to the can can work if you follow them with a fair and it can also work if you blow yourself and the other person up which can lead to a follow up near the blast zone for a bair/fair/uair/nair and kill. It's pointless to complain about something being hard to do, with practice you can eventually start doing it efficiently

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
D-throw -> Fsmash works at any percent if you simply read their air dodge. I never said D-Throw -> Uair was true in the first place lol and it is reliable if you read the persons air dodge. And throw to the can can work if you follow them with a fair and it can also work if you blow yourself and the other person up which can lead to a follow up near the blast zone for a bair/fair/uair/nair and kill. It's pointless to complain about something being hard to do, with practice you can eventually start doing it efficiently
Dthrow to fsmash is so easy to avoid, it's not even funny. Your opponent can easily DI away Orchestra not airdodge into the ground. The fact that throw to can is hard to set-up isn't the problem, it's due to how unreliable the reward is. Most of the time, you'll just get a bit of damage. If you both go up to the upper blastline, it's a gamble since your opponent can kill you just as easily as you can kill him. It's not really worth since you can easily just do something else that has much more reward. None of these are reliable at all.

Uthrow -> Uair is decent though, even if you'll never kill with it unless your opponent is an idiot.

[SKS] Yung Lamppost

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yung-Lamppost
3DS FC
2122-8762-7129
Dthrow to fsmash is so easy to avoid, it's not even funny. Your opponent can easily DI away Orchestra not airdodge into the ground. The fact that throw to can is hard to set-up isn't the problem, it's due to how unreliable the reward is. Most of the time, you'll just get a bit of damage. If you both go up to the upper blastline, it's a gamble since your opponent can kill you just as easily as you can kill him. It's not really worth since you can easily just do something else that has much more reward. None of these are reliable at all.

Uthrow -> Uair is decent though, even if you'll never kill with it unless your opponent is an idiot.
i do agree that d-throw to f smash is pretty easy to avoid, but it's still a useful mixup. i find the throw to can reliable because i can get at least 20% of damage if i connect a fair or bair and i can consistently get down throw to uair at around mid percents and connect it at high percents off an air dodge read or bad DI. i admit that some of these are hard to get and can depend on your opponent but it shouldn't rule these out entirely..

Furret24

Smash Master
i do agree that d-throw to f smash is pretty easy to avoid, but it's still a useful mixup. i find the throw to can reliable because i can get at least 20% of damage if i connect a fair or bair and i can consistently get down throw to uair at around mid percents and connect it at high percents off an air dodge read or bad DI. i admit that some of these are hard to get and can depend on your opponent but it shouldn't rule these out entirely..
They're not things to entirely rule out, but rare mixups are not my idea of "good followups". Dthrow -> fair/bair is a pretty good followup.

We still have decent grab game though. Our throws and followups are mediocre at best, but we have followups into a grab, great grab range, and a decent pummel to make up for that.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Dthrow to nair to fair to dash attack to smash attack

[SKS] Yung Lamppost

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yung-Lamppost
3DS FC
2122-8762-7129
They're not things to entirely rule out, but rare mixups are not my idea of "good followups". Dthrow -> fair/bair is a pretty good followup.

We still have decent grab game though. Our throws and followups are mediocre at best, but we have followups into a grab, great grab range, and a decent pummel to make up for that.
yeah, i totally get you, we just have different of ideas of what we consider good follow ups. i'm still gonna suggest a few things for you like that f-throw feels easier to connect into a fair/bair rather than a d-throw and that you can always do this as well which i think is something you can consider a "good follow up" even though it's only early percents.
at 0-15%~ you can F-throw to dash attack which can you can follow up with an Uair or Fair depending on their DI

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I wonder if Duck Hunt will ever be buffed to the point that and/or where everyone realizes they're awesome

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Happy Thanksgiving Doggos!

(Let's hope we can sneak off with that turkey before the rest of the cast notices!)

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Even tho I don't celebrate Thanksgiving, I guess I'm thankful there's a unique character like Duck Hunt in Smesh-B (am I doing it right?)

Top Bottom