• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The DK Counterpick Stage thread

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
Hey guys
So, one of my biggest problems in a tournament setting is that inevitably, there comes a time when its my turn to counterpick a stage.

I know that there are some stages that are inherently good for DK, but sometimes during play it will slip my mind exactly what i can abuse in that stage. So i'd like for you guys to help out by just throwing out some stages you like to CP and what shenanigans DK has on them. Also if there are certain characters that you definitely don't want to take there, mention that too.

TheHulk

Smash Apprentice
i pick battle field or yoshi island (up b) sometime on brinstar depends on who im playin against. idk i like smashvillie too

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
frigate is ALWAYS my CP. Ive got cped there so often its become my favorite and most comfortable stage

Tokaio

Smash Journeyman
Japes and Delfino are my favorite counterpicks by far.
I love Up-B cancelling into the ledge on Japes, and you can cargo carry them into the water, and spike them at Delfino.

Tujex

Smash Ace
I normally do Battlefield, Mansion (if it's not banned), and Yoshi's Island.

Pretty balanced stages where I can handle just about anyone with ease.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
frigate is ALWAYS my CP. Ive got cped there so often its become my favorite and most comfortable stage
what kind of shenanigans can DK do there? Frigate hadn't struck me as a particularly DK friendly stage.

D0N

Smash Ace
One thing I like about frigate is if you cargo d-throw them off the right side (where the platform moves and they can't grab the ledge), you can force some chars to use thier third jump and punish with ________.

Kitsune-kun

Smash Cadet
I usually take Yoshi's Island or Lylat, I also pick Rainbow Cruise against characters I like to fight in air. (Japes is banned in France :( ).
I've never thought about picking Frigate, I'll try next time :)

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Frigate isn't that bad for DK. His recovery has more vertical than you would think along with all that horizontal distance. As long as you know how to DI you shouldn't be getting gimped off the right side, but instead you should be lagless landing up b's back onto the stage. I usually just platform camp the left platform on the first transformation. If the platform on the right is low and a tall character is standing down there against the wall down b will pop them up for you. The wall over there also allows for dtilt locks. Super kong won't be lagless from the platforms on the first transition unless you do it to or from the right platform as it's transitioning. You can still instant aerial up b from the ground floor to the left platform or the right one when it is up. The second part of the stage after it flips is amazing for DK. The hole in the middle lets you crouch under most projectiles and makes it extremely hard to approach DK. Down b and up angled ftilt are amazing here, dtilt is always parallel to the ground you're on. The running side b from platforms that keeps your momentum can work on tall characters if they're standing on the flat parts of the stage. The slants will allow for easy shield pokes with fsmash on people's feet if they're on the outside. DK is a monster at fighting on the platforms that come in from the side. Cargo is too good, so is burying someone in a platform that is moving off the screen.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
I choose Delfino most of the time as it is my most comfortable stage but after that its Brinstar, Frigate, and YI. Japes has been banned here for a while. Pretty much on Frigate if they are on the transformation where theres no edge to grab then punishing them is pretty much a kill there. Headbutt->fsmash or punch ftw. The transformation that has the ditch in the middle, whoever is in that ditch has the advantage. Luckily for us we can pressure them out of there with downb, which gets a little extended due to the slope and we can pressure them out of there.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
good to know this stuff about Frigate, keep it coming with other CPs! i've got some MM's coming up this weekend, so i have to know as many good ones as possible.

Te-Jay

Smash Apprentice
Corner Brook/St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
someone gave me this list awhile back from here. don't remember who:
bowser - japes, brinstar

captain falcon - anywhere, you shouldn't lose

diddy - brinstar, japes, luigis, delfino

dk - dk dtaunt

falco - Brinstar, japes (i'll explain later), delfino, lylat, pokemon stadium 1

fox - lylat, japes, maybe brinstar

game and watch - japes, brinstar, luigis

ganon - japes, luigis if you're a homo

Ice Climbers - Delfino, lylat, brinstar

Ike - japes, delfino, pokemon stadium 1

jiggs - battlefield, corneria, lylat, delfino, japes maybe? never used it vs jiggs

king Dedede - japes, RC, luigis

Kirby - japes, pokemon stadium 1, brinstar

Link - japes, brinstar, lylat, luigis

Lucario - luigis, brinstar, brinstar, japes

Lucas - ??? never played one and had to cp

Luigi - japes, pokemon stadium, everywhere else results in shoryukens killing too well.

Mario - japes

Marth - japes, battlefield, lylat

MK - japes, brinstar

Ness - japes, fd if you wanna infinite, luigis

Peach - brinstar, japes, neutrals

Pikachu - japes, lylat, battlefield, pokemon stadium

Pikmin and olimar - japes, lylat

Pit - japes, brinstar, not really sure, neverplayed pit in tourney

Pokemon trainer - wherever

R.O.B. - japes, brinstar, lylat

Samus - japes, brinstar, luigis

sheik - japes, brinstar, luigis

snake - delfino, pokemon stadium 1, luigis

Sonic - japes, brinstar, luigis, delfino, pokemon stadium 1

Tink - japes, brinstar, pokemon stadium

Wario - japes, pokemon stadium 1

wolf - japes, brinstar, luigis, delfino, lylat, pokemon stadium 1

yoshi - japes, brinstar, luigis, delfino

Zamus - japes, brinstar

Zelda - japes, brinstar, lylat

-MCT-

Smash Cadet
Jungle Japes is freaking awesome... you live forever, you can abuse the hell out of your Up B, and and you can even cargo throw people directly towards an incoming Klap Trap. Priceless.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
Japes forever. Against Falco I just choose YI and abuse the ledges and ****, or Brinstar/Delfino, but yeah, Japes forever. You never die.

Top Bottom