• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Divide Between Good and Great

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
**Taken from 3 years ago for Melee. Applies to Brawl more than ever.**

Smash In-Depth

Smash is a fighting video game that takes place on a variable arena. That arena is surrounded by a perfectly square boundary. If this boundary is crossed, that player will lose a stock. Thus it is every player’s goal to force their opponent outside of this boundary.

Above is the basic science of Smash Bros. What I will be discussing here is something much more in-depth: the physics of Smash Bros. There’s a difference between playing the game, and playing the game. To play this game at its maximum potential, you must understand the basic laws of war.

A. Position

Positioning is the single most important factor in any battle. In Smash, you play on a limited surface. Falling off the surface thus increases the chances of you crossing the arena’s boundaries. Also, being in a posture where damage can be given to you will increase your chances as well. Here after, the word position will always be spoken in regards to the player’s current location on any given stage.

Because there are two players at any given time during a match, there will always be two positions. There are 5 basic factors that determine the strength of the player’s position:

1.) Direction. Which way is the player facing?
2.) Character. What character is being used? What is their range, speed, unique features, etc?
3.) Location. Where is the player in regards to the stage’s boundaries? Where is the player in regards to the opposing player? Where is the player in regards to stage obstacles (platforms, walls, etc.)?
4.) Action. What is the character’s current frame of action at the moment?
5.) Percentage. What is the current player’s percent?

A match is a battle for the better position. Remember this.

B. Adjusting Your Position

In any given match, two players are constantly moving in order to gain a better position. There are 3 basic ways to adjusting your position.

1.) Advancing – To close the gap in regards to distance between two players.
2.) Retreating – To expand the gap in regards to the distance between two players.
3.) Waiting – To base one’s own position on the opponent’s adjustment. Also to shield.

Note that adjusting your position does not necessarily give you better position. For example, in a Fox vs. Marth match, if a Fox adjusts his position onto the platform of Battlefield located directly above Marth he has weakened his position because he has become more vulnerable in this situation. After any adjustment, the rules of positioning apply as explained in the previous section.

C. What Adjusting Really Means

If you take into consideration everything that has been said, a player only has 3 options in any given situation: to advance, to retreat, or to wait. That’s it. Players do not adjust their position on a whim; there’s always a reason. What is that reason? I’m glad you asked.

The common smash player is impulsive. Remember this.

The common smash player reacts. When they are afraid, they retreat; when they’re confident, they advance. When a player feels vulnerable, they shield or roll; when a player finds their opponent vulnerable, they attack. Understanding this common law and abusing it is what separates the good from the regular. It’s impossible to improve your game if you play off impulse alone never attempting to look outside the box. I mean, there’s no excuse now: I’m showing you the outside of the god **** box.

How a player adjusts and adjusts to adjustments (reacts) says a lot about the person’s playing style. Understanding a person’s playing style is the first step to overcoming them. Smashers indirectly (sometimes directly) tell their opponent what kind of player they are when they adjust their position given a certain scenario. Essentially, there are a lot of kinds of styles; however, there are only 3 raw styles:

1.) The Assailant. Advances constantly. Rarely retreats.
2.) The Camper. Retreats constantly. Rarely advances.
3.) The Ambusher. Rarely advances or retreats fully.

Even then, you can go further. If the person’s style is that of The Assaliant is he reckless? Accurate? Predictable? It’s too bothersome to go into the combinations. The best smashers have no real combination, either; there’s a time and place to advance, retreat, and wait and they simply do it at those correct times. Some people can camp better then they can attack and vice versa. What’s important is that you recognize that its there.

D. Why Is This Important?

Everything said up to now is important if you want to have the mind of a great smasher. The first step to dominance in this game is understanding what you're up against. Character match-ups, for example, are essential to know, but they're not absolute. This is why Low Tier users are able to compete and even beat High Tier users; they are skilled in keeping good position and always leaving their opponent in bad positions.

And that's it. This is ALL you have to know in order to seperate yourselves from the mass. Practicing and mastering this concept is the essence of what we call "mindgames". It's the reason why your best friend always beats you. It's the reason why you always get grabbed. You're simply being outsmarted so stop letting it happen. You know everything your opponent can dish at you which means you know everything you can dish at your opponent; if you get bested, it will be simply because you guessed wrong or you were tricked, but knowing that you were tricked and seeing that trick is all that matters to improving your game.

Good luck. I hope this helped.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I wouldn't say that the proper term for this is "mind-game." Winning is a process. You're always readjusting yourself on the field of battle. To use your example, if Fox is at the top of Battlefield, he has put himself in a bad position. We all know that the center is the most ideal position of the stage, because not only do you remove yourself from the danger of falling off or losing a stock sooner, but you also take control of the stage, and in order to take control of the stage, you first must take control of your opponent. It's still a good read, nonetheless.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I wouldn't say that the proper term for this is "mind-game." Winning is a process. You're always readjusting yourself on the field of battle. To use your example, if Fox is at the top of Battlefield, he has put himself in a bad position. We all know that the center is the most ideal position of the stage, because not only do you remove yourself from the danger of falling off or losing a stock sooner, but you also take control of the stage, and in order to take control of the stage, you first must take control of your opponent. It's still a good read, nonetheless.
Actually, center stage would be the best for overall survival. It's not the best position, and rarely is it ever the best position.

You have to determine your positioning relative to your opponent, what your opponent is doing, what character is your opponent, etc.

Because Fox at the center of FD vs a Samus on one of the edges isn't a good position for the Fox, but its a great position for the Samus.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
thats so true man. thats why u see like luigi and stuff beat some snakes and metas sometimes. the whole re adjusting thing is also very true

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Actually, center stage would be the best for overall survival. It's not the best position, and rarely is it ever the best position.

You have to determine your positioning relative to your opponent, what your opponent is doing, what character is your opponent, etc.

Because Fox at the center of FD vs a Samus on one of the edges isn't a good position for the Fox, but its a great position for the Samus.
What I meant with the Battlefield example is that there are platforms above you, so it acts as a barrier against aerial attacks that come downward. I agree with you, though.

Sukai

Smash Champion
I seem to be a bit thrown off on the "impulsive" comment.
Yes, your average smasher is impulsive, but so are even your more skilled ones.
When faced with a split-second decision to make, you're forced to think impulsively, you can't pause the game and think of a way out of your rut, you go what your guts tell you and trust that that option will get you by.

Now the term of adjusting should be better used to improving your impulse, improving on what you should do, if this scenario comes up.
Thinking outside the box only applies when you're actually thinking about something, not an impulsive move made in a dire and very much so appropriate situation.
I think that naturally adjusting on an impulse is what separates the good from the great players.
Yes, actual thinking is very much taken into consideration, and just like impulse, is a real time occurrence in a match, but you can't exclude impulsive actions to just the not-so-pro players.

Impulse will always be apart of the game, on any level of skill.
Improving you're impulsive actions is what separates the pros from everyone else.
From there it's all about putting yourself in the proper mindset and working to getting over one's bad habits.

Omni

BRoomer
I seem to be a bit thrown off on the "impulsive" comment.
Yes, your average smasher is impulsive, but so are even your more skilled ones.
When faced with a split-second decision to make, you're forced to think impulsively, you can't pause the game and think of a way out of your rut, you go what your guts tell you and trust that that option will get you by.
Your "gut" feeling is what makes you predictable. An impulse is having the urge to do something based on the given scenario. What I am suggesting is that sometimes it is important to ignore that gut feeling.

There is a difference between acting on impulse and simply reacting. Acting on impulse is simply a way to react. When you feel like you're in an unsafe position, rolling/sidestepping aren't always your best options even though you get the urge to do so. Attacking your opponent as they're recovering from the air isn't always the best option because a single air-dodge will cause you to miss. The urge to hit someone that seemingly seems vulnerable should be resisted and waiting for the air dodge would be the best choice.

Sukai

Smash Champion
I understand and agree with you.
I was just saying that an impulse is not in black and white, it's possible for a player to improve on their impulsive actions.
That comes out in the wash when breaking old habits.
Like a said, thinking is a real time thing in matches and there will always be times when thinking it over in a small time frame is all you can do.
But just as much, you're going to have to rely on impulse at some point in a match.
Now the trick there is working to improve what you do on an impulse.

Omni

BRoomer
I understand and agree with you.
I was just saying that an impulse is not in black and white, it's possible for a player to improve on their impulsive actions.
That comes out in the wash when breaking old habits.
Like a said, thinking is a real time thing in matches and there will always be times when thinking it over in a small time frame is all you can do.
But just as much, you're going to have to rely on impulse at some point in a match.
Now the trick there is working to improve what you do on an impulse.
You're absolutely right. I didn't see it that way.

Like you said, acting on impulse isn't bad. It's what you do on impulse that determines it.

A lot of people make bad/predictable choices on impulse; improving those choices is the key to evolving.

Very good points.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I find the best result comes when I do the opposite of what my gut feeling is. This has especially been true in Melee recently. I've done much better in tournaments against respected players because I've forced myself to become unpredictable. When I have a choice to tech and find myself about to tech away from my opponent, I quickly tech towards them. I try to mix it up and go away from what I'd normally do in any situation. Reading your opponent is equally important, so you have to know rather than guess when they're going to spot dodge (more so in Brawl) about the spot dodging).

Omni

BRoomer
Hell no. Bowser can't win tournaments. I can beat MK's with him though.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
the next best things that make true players great

1- smart and they KNOW what your going to do not guess
2 - crazy DI live very long, get out of multi hit moves asap take advatage of ever stock
3- very intuative with their char. these people are the ones you associate with that char. ally (snake) anther (pika) m2k ( mk)
4- dont get hit/grabbed

Top Bottom