• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The differences in the Beams

W¡ndy

Smash Cadet
I was wondering if anyone could explain all the differences in the ph13r and ice beam attacks.

Not what they are. but the difrences.

Litt

Samus
So far what I understand from them, ice downtilt has more horizontal knockback than vertical like the fire one. The fire foward smash is quick, and produces more knock back. The ice missiles are faster and do more damage. The ice forward air is like sheiks forward air from melee, the fire foreward air is better for comboing (especially fast fallers and heavy characters) at lower percents. The upsmash for both fire and ice have highish priority and both are viable, fire does more damage and is easier to hit, ice has more vertical knockback and is more difficult to land.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Ice missiles actually do less damage from my testing. Homing fire missiles do 5% while ice homing missiles do 4%. For super missiles they lose 2% when in ice mode, however ice missiles in general have less knockback and a touch more hitstun. Homing missiles in ice mode also have less start-up.

Dtilt does 5% from the initial blast and has 8 hits at the edge of it that don't stun at all and all deal 1%. I haven't discovered the full application of it outside spacing and shield pressure yet. Dtilt[f] knocks the opponent above Samus and is good for launching into aerials for her combos.

Fsmash[f] has an extra hitbox for the fire blast and is a kill move. Fsmash is a 2 hit attack that may be useful in combos but I need to test it further.

Usmash[f] is a combo filler that can lead into aerials while Usmash works better as an anti-air and kill move.

Overall I've been finding the Plasma Beam is better for pressure but has trouble breaking out of pressure while the Ice Beam is better for defense and out-spacing the opponent at the cost of weaker offensive pressure. The last part is subject to change though.

MVP

Smash Ace
Ice seeker missiles never expire and have more everything then normal seeker missiles, and they don't slow down

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
I am just glad that PMBR was able to convince Adam to authorize her ice beam. Took him long enough.

handicappedhero

Smash Rookie
@ Sarix Sarix In training mode today, I confirmed ice missiles had greater range/damage than purples. I know the ice Fsmash is certainly stronger if you can land the initial hit and the second shatter hit in the animation. It goes to 27% on a full charge, but I think a Fire Fsmash is only 21. Did you mix your numbers?

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
@ Sarix Sarix In training mode today, I confirmed ice missiles had greater range/damage than purples. I know the ice Fsmash is certainly stronger if you can land the initial hit and the second shatter hit in the animation. It goes to 27% on a full charge, but I think a Fire Fsmash is only 21. Did you mix your numbers?
Ice beam's homing missiles have longer range. Power beam's super missiles have better knockback and range.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Basically, what I'm getting is: Fire for heavy characters/racking up damage, ice for small guys/killing power. That about right?

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Basically, what I'm getting is: Fire for heavy characters/racking up damage, ice for small guys/killing power. That about right?
Honestly, the idea of ice beam having better killing power is little more than a placebo effect. Ice beam f-smash is useless compared to its power beam counterpart. It needs to be re-worked. The power beam up-smash can kill in the same range as the ice beam on Final Destination. The f-air seems good at first glance, but a sweet-spotted n-air has comparable knockback with faster start-up and better downward reach.

Basically, don't bother with it unless you want the improved range on homing missiles. Ice beam just doesn't have enough pros to warrant switching in most scenarios.

Last edited:

ManaX

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, the idea of ice beam having better killing power is little more than a placebo effect. Ice beam f-smash is useless compared to its power beam counterpart. It needs to be re-worked. The power beam up-smash can kill in the same range as the ice beam on Final Destination. The f-air seems good at first glance, but a sweet-spotted n-air has comparable knockback with faster start-up and better downward reach.

Basically, don't bother with it unless you want the improved range on homing missiles. Ice beam just doesn't have enough pros to warrant switching in most scenarios.
B-but style points!
Ice mode is just cooler!

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Both have their ups and downs, but Fire is generally better for most situations. If you're having trouble getting a kill, switch to Ice then switch back.

Kati

Smash Lord
Yeah besides the homing missiles like Serris mentioned, I have only really found dtilt to be amazing while edgeguarding Ganon.

Top Bottom